• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC to have meaningful bespoke features

ChazGW7

If they don't fuck this up, this will be huge for the PC community. So, please don't fuck this up.

This is the exact type of game that PC players thrive in.

EDIT: You know what would be great? If they announced Blizzard was handling the PC version and it was going to be on the Blizzard launcher. Having one of PC's most elite developers handling this would seal the deal it would be a success on PC.

Thinking about it, this game is honestly a streamer's wet dream. You've got the PvP side of the game for competitiveness (scrims, potential eSports) that will gain you more exposure the better you are, and then you have the PvE side for interacting with your community (weekly raid nights, strike grinding etc.). Combine all of that with the game being an FPS and now launching on PC and I see it being a top game on Twitch for years to come. They really have a chance to knock it out of the park here... crossing my fingers the launch goes smoothly.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The direct comparison is CoD, Battlefront, Battlefield, R6: Siege, and Overwatch, not random single-player oriented games.

The first 3 are dead or dying (BF series) on PC and all happen to lock content behind season pass/expansion models (in addition to being shit games in general but that's besides the point). This is the group Destiny 2 has more in common with (going by Destiny 1). The latter 2 have better update models more in-tune with how PC consumers play games.

Consider that on PC, R6 Siege has more than twice the players as freaking BF1 and the latter is bleeding players each day.

Additionally, Destiny 2 PC has a lot of other things going against it.

1) It's clearly going to be made with plans for Destiny 3 in mind. As in, it's not made to last. These kinds of games don't do well on PC.
2) PC players have already played hundreds of MMO's. The novelty of loot-grind based bullet sponge gameplay is going to be a lot less enticing. Destiny was basically a lot of console players' first MMO so it had that going for it but it's not going to be met with the same patience on PC.
3) PC players tend to not play FPS designed for consoles first in mind. Even if Destiny 2 radically changes up a lot in terms of doing stuff like removing aim-assist stats and making hip-fire more relevant the perception of the first game can still hurt it.

At best it'll sustain a niche of 10k concurrent players months out from release. That's my prediction.
Video game anxiety

packy34

While I'm expecting (hoping) 60fps, Im really curious if they'll touch FOV options. Bungie games traditionally have very low FOV, their PC ports included.

Releasing a FPS on PC in 2017 with no FOV slider is unacceptable. Same goes for any sort of frame limiter/cap.

Bungie won't make those mistakes.

The direct comparison is CoD, Battlefront, Battlefield, R6: Siege, and Overwatch, not random single-player oriented games.

The first 3 are dead or dying (BF series) on PC and all happen to lock content behind season pass/expansion models (in addition to being shit games in general but that's besides the point). This is the group Destiny 2 has more in common with (going by Destiny 1). The latter 2 have better update models more in-tune with how PC consumers play games.

Consider that on PC, R6 Siege has more than twice the players as freaking BF1 and the latter is bleeding players each day.

Additionally, Destiny 2 PC has a lot of other things going against it.

1) It's clearly going to be made with plans for Destiny 3 in mind. As in, it's not made to last. These kinds of games don't do well on PC.
2) PC players have already played hundreds of MMO's. The novelty of loot-grind based bullet sponge gameplay is going to be a lot less enticing. Destiny was basically a lot of console players' first MMO so it had that going for it but it's not going to be met with the same patience on PC.
3) PC players tend to not play FPS designed for consoles first in mind. Even if Destiny 2 radically changes up a lot in terms of doing stuff like removing aim-assist stats and making hip-fire more relevant the perception of the first game can still hurt it.

At best it'll sustain a niche of 10k concurrent players months out from release. That's my prediction.

Edit: Actually it's possible, it all depends on what improvements they make, because it could be very very successful if not just for PVP alone. If it's as shallow as Destiny one though, you could be right. I think you're giving PC players way too much credit though.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Bought 2 digital $99 copies for myself Ultrazilla and son Kaijuseijin to play.,

We're just hoping that there's a robust story line and the single player/co op campaign to the game has enough content where we're not gonna burn through it in a few days time.

Although we're sure there will be what we like to call "stop watch kiddies" who blow through the game, don't pay attention to the story and then come out and say "yeah, the campaign is only 2 hours long, don't bother"......you guys know this will happen.

iswasdoes

Here's my dilemma with this.

I want to get it on PC for the best looking experience

But I use my gaming pc on the couch, with a controller, and I dont want to be royally assfucked by mouse and keyboard players or generally at a disadvantage.

Is there any chance they will find a solution for this I wonder

Thinking about it, this game is honestly a streamer's wet dream. You've got the PvP side of the game for competitiveness (scrims, potential eSports) that will gain you more exposure the better you are, and then you have the PvE side for interacting with your community (weekly raid nights, strike grinding etc.). Combine all of that with the game being an FPS and now launching on PC and I see it being a top game on Twitch for years to come. They really have a chance to knock it out of the park here... crossing my fingers the launch goes smoothly.

It's been one of the top games on twitch for 3 years already :)

PC will obviously help a lot though!

But I use my gaming pc on the couch, with a controller, and I dont want to be royally assfucked by mouse and keyboard players or generally at a disadvantage.

Absolutely no chance. The solution is play on a PS4 (Pro) instead.

Tecnniqe

Banned

If a wireless mouse and keyboard setup is out of the question for PVP there's not much you can do about that.

iswasdoes

If a wireless mouse and keyboard setup is out of the question for PVP there's not much you can do about that.

Not out of the question, but not my preferred or what i would do.

Is it not at least possible to partition mouse and keyboard players and controller players? And ideally, give us cross platform play with at least the Scorpio console players?

I agree they almost certainly wouldn't do that. But im just thinking that what MS are doing with scorpio and 'play anywhere' should take this into account.

Corpekata

Banned

Is it not at least possible to partition mouse and keyboard players and controller players? And ideally, give us cross platform play with at least the Scorpio console players?

I agree they almost certainly wouldn't do that. But im just thinking that what MS are doing with scorpio and 'play anywhere' should take this into account.

I mean, the main draw of the game is co-op material, not the PVP, where the controller/kbam gap doesn't really matter. So I'd doubt they'd even consider it for what is effectively the secondary attraction.

Raybunny

Interesting. I see it as text chat, ultra wide support, FOV and others surely. If not for the GAF ps4 community I would go for pc.

I wonder how many from the OT is picking the PC version up.

I know a few I played with on PS4 from GAF picking it up.

If it's good, it'll stay populated.

The only reason I'm not going with PC is because of the exclusivity stuff. Sucks to say it works. But it really is a shitty move.

If a game like For Honor can struggle so hard out of the gate and still be popular I'm sure Destiny 2 will be fine

Not to mention Rainbow Six Siege which is still big and has been out for quite a while

Raybunny

I wonder how many from the OT is picking the PC version up.

I know a few I played with on PS4 from GAF picking it up.

If it's good, it'll stay populated.

The ones I know that will go for pc they will surely double dip since most will remain on ps4 (Will check the destiny GAF discord tonight). Taking into consideration steam values for other titles after a few months... well I rather stay with ps4. After years most of them come back on each expansion

As long as this game has variable framerate and a FoV slider, I'm totally in on PC. Beyond that I'd like 21:9 and other graphical options, but those are significantly less important to me.

a harpy

It's possible and could be cool, but as you said yourself, just very unlikely. It'd need to lock other peripherals if they were hard-partitioning players. And if it isn't cross-platform (I'd be shocked if it is), the pool of PC players that use a controller would be insanely small. It would exist, it would just be very, very tiny.

Ryuuga

Banned
If it's mostly visual I won't care. I'm not waiting out content for this. Also hoping for cross-platform play or having your account tied to your Bungie ID or something to that affect.

jett

D-Member
It'd be nice if there was a beta again. After all, the beta is what got me to buy Destiny in the first place. :p

Admodieus

It's possible and could be cool, but as you said yourself, just very unlikely. It'd need to lock other peripherals if they were hard-partitioning players. And if it isn't cross-platform (I'd be shocked if it is), the pool of PC players that use a controller would be insanely small. It would exist, it would just be very, very tiny.

Totally understand that but I would just need the feature to play with my friends on XBox. Its a weird example but I feel that there are some people willing to give up certain thing s in order to play with their friends on their platform of choice.

I'm getting it on PC, along with all my friends of who were PS4 users.

I'll happily switch from PS4 to PC so long as the UI/UX is good. I know a lot of people prioritise FOV, but for me it's the UI that makes or break a PC game, and is the primary reason I don't get on very well with Bioware RPGs. Destiny has so much inventory management that I really need a good PC-designed UI.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'll happily switch from PS4 to PC so long as the UI/UX is good. I know a lot of people prioritise FOV, but for me it's the UI that makes or break a PC game, and is the primary reason I don't get on very well with Bioware RPGs. Destiny has so much inventory management that I really need a good PC-designed UI.

For me it's not having to pay for the booty of service that is PS Plus. Destiny was the only reason that I kept my subscription up. Call me a jerk, but that's why I'm hoping the exclusive content, and there will be, either doesn't have a long exclusivity window or is so inconsequential that it won't leave other platforms feeling deprived.

Marvel

could never
Still getting it on Xbox One for Scorpio patch but it's great that Destiny will now reach so many other players. Truly a great thing.

BigEmil

While I'm expecting (hoping) 60fps, Im really curious if they'll touch FOV options. Bungie games traditionally have very low FOV, their PC ports included.
If it's 30fps it better be higher FOV, 90-100 minimum, if it's lower than 90 FOV even at 30fps they can keep the game.

zeox

I'll be sad if this doesn't show up on steam after the reveal. Doesn't steam have a policy that screenshots have to be ingame or something? maybe that's why it's not on steam yet? i'm stretching real hard here :S

ethomaz

Banned
After the impressive reception of the first game I expect Destiny 2 to blow alway the game world again.

I can't wait to play.

Corpekata

Banned
There's no way they're releasing a 30 FPS game, especially one that will be played by an audience using mice. 30 FPS feels like absolute garbage on a mouse.

Especially since they're showing the version off in what, a few weeks?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Additionally, doesn't R6: Siege have a season pass? I hear that has a grown community on PC regularly.
Yes, multiple season passes actually, but due to uPlay, it only shows as 2 million on Steam despite being quite a bit higher overall, and I wanted to stick to games with comically high ownership numbers.

Toni

As much as I enjoyed playing with Destiny GAF on PS4 and as much as I hate timed exclusive content, I simply cannot ignore the pc version. Especially when you have to pay for PS+ in order to play.

Anyone know when we can preorder for pc that isn't the standard version?

You can do it like Netflix and pay 9 dollars a month for PS+. If you don't want to keep paying...then don't pay 9 dollars the month after?

You aren't committed to anything in PSN.

Price isn't an issue here anymore.

Top Bottom