• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has made over one billion dollars, hits record MAU, more stats

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Activision Blizzard said:
Kotick added,  ʺAmong the drivers of our results was Overwatch®, which now has over 30
million players globally. The Overwatch League™ is gaining momentum and weʹre excited to offer our
community of players the best professional league experience.

Overwatch continues to be Blizzard's fastest growing new franchise, reaching
over 30 million players globally less than a year after launch. Overwatch is now the 8th billion‐
dollar franchise in Activision Blizzard's portfolio.

In late January, Overwatch had its fourth seasonal event, Year of the Rooster, to celebrate the lunar new
year. The event drove engagement records for the game. Blizzard launched a fifth seasonal event
in April, Uprising, including a player‐versus‐environment game mode which drew record time
spent.

Blizzard's revenues from in‐game content grew more than 25% year‐over‐year, driven by
revenues from World of Warcraft in‐game content and continued strength of Overwatch
customization items.
Hi, Colin. Thanks for the question. This is Mike. So right now we're heading towards Overwatch's launch anniversary later this month, and we're incredibly happy with the community that's developed around the game, how many people have already tried the game and how they're staying with us nearly a year after the launch. Our first quarter MAUs were higher than we've seen all of last year, so that's great. We've seen new players come into the game when we release new types of gameplay through our seasonal events. And we have a lot of opportunities to continue doing that.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...1-E02F6817700B/Q1_2017_ATVI_Press_Release.pdf

antitrop

I buy 50 loot boxes every event. Overwatch has saved me a ton of money on games that I would otherwise be buying, if I wasn't addicted to OW.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
30 million sales, ducking hell

Well deserved. Game is exceptional. 60 hours of play and never bought a loot box

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yet they could only add 2 maps a year after release?

bigJP

congrats on blizzard but still dont see the hype around overwatch. played it for about a month before selling it. maybe didnt give it enough of a chance

Syf

Banned
From failed project to billion-dollar success. Very well deserved. Now add some more maps pls.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cool spend a whole 21 bucks on it.
Respect for them making people spend extra

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I buy 50 loot boxes every event. Overwatch has saved me a ton of money on games that I would otherwise be buying, if I wasn't addicted to OW.

you play edith finch yet?

As a new dad, having a ten minute game is great. I bought a few loot boxes at launch, but not since, still having a blast. Almost played heroes of the storm for d.va but can't do it

Mrbob

...They largely use the same business models. What's there to change?
Meant more along the lines it doesn't seem like Blizzard ever gets pushed to release product early or forced into some sort of yearly cycle for their games. I could be wrong but I don't expect to see Overwatch 2 for years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meant more along the lines it doesn't seem like Blizzard ever gets pushed to release product early or forced into some sort of yearly cycle for their games. I could be wrong but I don't expect to see Overwatch 2 for years.

Oh, yes, certainly. That said, Blizzard's content updates have vastly increased in pace since Activision took over.

Activision might be looking at similar models though given even Toys For Bob (Skylanders) is hiring for a service platform now, and I'm suspecting Destiny 2 will last quite some time.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
My only real complaint with the game is about the maps, the only maps I really like playing on are Lijang and Nepal. There is a ton of wasted or underutilized space in most of the maps, I wish they would alter routes and make extra shortcuts to encourage a wider variety of strategies.

Kremzeek

I usually buy 25 loot boxes every event, except for the last one i didn't really care for anything.

We desperately need more maps though. Or modes.

With all this profit, Blizz should be able to really blow out story mode in Overwatch2!

EYEL1NER

It'd be nice if some of that money got put into more advertising and trying to grow the player base on consoles. It's a bummer to get on in the middle of the night and not be able to get a match in most gametypes.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
4 maps. Oasis has 3.

Not that I wouldn't be happy to see them release more maps in a timely manner. I'm surprised the ratio of new maps to new characters hasn't been higher.

Uh that's not how it works. You wouldn't call Eichenwalde 3 maps because it has 3 points.

Syf

Banned
They mention the Overwatch League gaining momentum too. Have we had much news on that since it was announced? I feel like there's been nothing unless I missed something.

The1Ski

congrats on blizzard but still dont see the hype around overwatch. played it for about a month before selling it. maybe didnt give it enough of a chance

I was thinking the same thing! I was in on the beta and just didn't get into it. I thought I would but I didn't buy in on full release.

These events and the sheer player count nudges me towards getting into it at some point. Especially since I'm back into Heroes of the Storm and I'm earning Overwatch stuff anyway.

I have to say, I really respect Blizzard's cohesion across their brand.

And their ability to make money

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They mention the Overwatch League gaining momentum too. Have we had much news on that since it was announced? I feel like there's been nothing unless I missed something.

I'm guessing they mean in terms of the partners they're signing.

Zaventem

As long as they are purely cosmetic, they don't bother me. If it means all the actual playable content remains free, I'm all for it.

This i don't care if it's a cosmetic thing. If it funds maps for everyone and gives free characters i don't see how it can be seen as a negative.

Dartastic

But like it'll be really hard and expensive to move it to Switch, amirite?

PLEASE BLIZZARD PLEASE HELP ME DOUBLE DIP ON THIS GAAAAAAAAAAME

Top Bottom