• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad, Vinny, and Alex all leaving Giant Bomb

Xdrive05

This is... interesting. What does it mean? Jeff is still dug in too deep to leave GB, and with his family & financial obligations, so the rest of the OG crew go their own way?

Did Jeff have longstanding personal or creative differences with the "Nextlanders" (yeah, that'll take a beat to get used to...)?

EDIT: Wait an effing minute. In their "final bombcast" wasn't there much ado about how they are "getting too old to do gaming podcasts" or something to that effect? Apparently bullshit, then.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This is... interesting. What does it mean? Jeff is still dug in too deep to leave GB, and with his family & financial obligations, so the rest of the OG crew go their own way?

Did Jeff have longstanding personal or creative differences with the "Nextlanders" (yeah, that'll take a beat to get used to...)?

EDIT: Wait an effing minute. In their "final bombcast" wasn't there much ado about how they are "getting too old to do gaming podcasts" or something to that effect? Apparently bullshit, then.
A single podcast is easier to produce so maybe that was the appeal?

reksveks

I must have heard differently to you but I thought two of them still was going to be on screen personality. I would hold off until we see how many they produce and what kinda of content they make.

Jeff definitely would have more commitments in GB than the rest.

In non-leaving news, we might see a Jeff and Phil Spencer E3 stream this year hopefully

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

yea. i really thought vinny at the very least was done and would settle into a video production job behind the scenes. guess it makes sense to test the waters with patreon after easy allies, colin moriarty, etc made so much money with them.

sounds like they’ll be working closely with waypoint so I’m already punching out.

I feel bad for gerstmann on some level.

Pretty smart move from them, the new owners of GB probably wanted more control of the creative process and who they collaborated with so they dipped out thus dropping a need for a middle man financially and creatively. Though it feels weird after what Vinny and the others hinted at of being in the spotlight taking a toll on their wellbeing.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how things go with all these separate entities with similar personalities from Waypoint, Giant Bomb, Fire Escape and now Nextlanders. The Bombcast has been pretty great lately and Fire Escape is good fun. I start to see why Jeff G reacted the way he did, such a shame, but hopefully things pan out for him.

Alex, Brad & Vinny departing Giant Bomb and immediately forming a similar business potentially says a lot about the future of their former company. Red Ventures, the current owner of Giant Bomb, is an advertising-marketing business masquerading as a content company, while Giant Bomb is essentially an entertainment site. With Red Ventures already owning GameSpot and--to a lesser extent--Cnet, I'd expect them to eventually close or sell Giant Bomb, but in the short-term, can't say I'm overly optimistic about GB's ongoing direction.

As for NextLander, I'm not into the whole Patreon-thing, but hopefully it goes well for those guys.

Last edited:

Fatbody

“Ongoing Let’s Plays”
Maybe that means they can finally do the full Yakuza series playthrough that they originally set out to do.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So essentially a Giant Bomb podcast but without The World's Most Jaded Man endlessly rambling about how all modern games are terrible.

I'm in!
Essentially that's Jeff... But he got kinda too much without Ryan there to counter him off. Brad just tuned t f out

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I liked the intro pod. I’ve never done a patron thing before. I was tempted with Danny but didn’t. This is more tempting but I’ll wait it out and see how the first few episodes go.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I liked the intro pod. I’ve never done a patron thing before. I was tempted with Danny but didn’t. This is more tempting but I’ll wait it out and see how the first few episodes go.
I've never done Patreon before either. But after they all left Giant Bomb, I cancelled my sub to that site that I've had since the first day they offered it. I'm just going to shift my money over to them. I may even bump up to the $10 tier for some extra content that they're offering at that tier.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

It's clear that shit went down at GB, and it seems likely to me that it was some bullshit from corporate.
Vinny, Brad and Alex told management to get fucked and walked.
Jeff is likely supportive of their decision, and still contractually obliged, so just has to wait it out till he's free to jump across.
It's the most likely explanation considering all of them are silent about it.

Javthusiast

Banned

Quote shamelessly taken from another forum cause I didn't listen to the bombcast yet.

Notes about GB 2.0 from the Bombcast:
Planning to hire at least one more fulltime "on camera" personality and a few more production staff
Regular staff site will continue to do their regularly operated shows (Bombcast, Quick Looks, Friday stream, etc...)
While remaining a contractor, Danny is taking a more prominent role: Will continue to be on the Bombcast, but also Quick Looks, E3, and more
From there it sounds like GB is turning into a network of sorts, "GB and Friends"
So far they announced new shows from Jeff Grubb, Tamoor and Lucy from GameSpot (with Bakalar), Dan Rykert (with Bakalar)
Plan is to get friends of the site in to do some weird shit going forward
First segment of today's Bombcast covered everything in greater detail, just posted the main points of the site going forward. I'm super excited, they all sound stoked.

Last edited:

sn0man

Holy shit they got Dan!?!?!!! That’s pretty amaze. I figured he was pretty peace’d out with his own followers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This new model is making me wonder if Vinny, Alex, and Brad were being asked to transition to the "and Friends" part and become freelancers or something and they decided they would rather set out on their own.

Bridges

Was unsure if I'd be interested in their new direction, but getting Dan back is awesome. Will definitely watch whatever he is a part of at the very least.

GetemMa

IMO the other 3 leaving and getting replaced by Grubb, Bakalar and appearances by Ryckert, O'Dwyer, Lucy and Tamoor means I'm much more interested in Giant Bomb.

The other 3 were so pretentious and not especially gifted in terms of comedy or games analysis. Most of the time they were a wet rag. Especially Alex with Brad running a close second. I'm sure that working for a big company that didn't perfectly align with their social values also got their panties in a bunch when Jeff is stuck making the best of things like most adults. Nextlanders is an easy avoid for me personally.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Competing news going back and forth it seems. Jeff is putting a lot of effort into it, which is good news. Dunno if its enough to bring back my interest in the site but it’s good to see he’s still got some fire in there.

sn0man

Has either site discussed / suggested if they will be doing any in person stuff? I feel like GB on the couch and together in studio is what makes them and the sooner they can get vaxxed and back in a studio together the sooner the classic magic can return.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This new model is making me wonder if Vinny, Alex, and Brad were being asked to transition to the "and Friends" part and become freelancers or something and they decided they would rather set out on their own.

I'm feeling more and more confident in this theory after listening to Jeff's explanation in the first two minutes of this video.

bender

What time is it?
Jeff Grubb aside, if Jeff B, Danny and Dan are more involved, those are some great gets for content. I don't know if I trust them enough to resub and Jeff G.'s answer to Premium versus Free is a little discouraging (highlights or first show free). Dan doing a show is probably the most surprising thing considering how well he does for himself. They must have dropped some paper on him. Also kind of weird with Danny saying he wants to do a lot of weird stuff when Dan was always pushing for that when he was an employee.

Top Bottom