• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) SEGA Might Be Bringing Back MORE Classic IP!

What other companies would you like to see bring back some legacy IP (choose any)?

• Sony (Wipeout, Legend of Dragoon, Parappa, Motor Toon, Dark Cloud, G Police, Ape Escape etc.)

Votes: 65 42.8%
  • Microsoft (Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, Jet Force Gemini, Kameo etc.)

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Nintendo (Earthbound, Doshin the Giant, Eternal Darkness etc.)

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • Bandai-Namco (Ridge Racer, Dancing Eyes, Mr. Digger, Time Crisis etc.)

Votes: 40 26.3%
  • Square-Enix (Parasite Eve, Einhander, Brave Fencer Mushashi, ActRaiser, etc.)

Votes: 67 44.1%
  • Capcom (Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.)

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • Konami (Castlevania, Snatcher, World Evolution Soccer etc.)

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • Treasure (Gunstar Heroes, Sin & Punishment, Silhouette Mirage, Mischief Makers, Alien Soldier etc.)

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • SNK/ADK (Metal Slug, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Ikari Warriors, The Last Blade, etc.)

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • Other (mention them below)

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's according to Insider Gaming (Tom Henderson's website). Here are some excerpts:

Speaking to sources, it’s understood that Panzer Dragoon, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Sakura Taisen will all have new games and are all in their early stages of development, too. Unfortunately, though, Insider Gaming wasn’t able to verify the other two games that were greenlit, but recent trademark filings could give a strong indication.

Following the ‘New Era, New Energy’ announcement, though, it was spotted by Gematsu that SEGA did file for a total of 12 trademarks, which became public on December 6, 2023. The trademarks included some of the already announced games, including Crazy Taxi, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, and Streets of Rage, but also included eight more games that have yet to be announced.

The trademarks include:

• Alex Kidd
  • After Burner
  • House of the Dead
  • Outrun
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Altered Beast Eternal
  • Champions Kid
  • Chameleon
Although none of these trademarks cover the three games we’ve heard are on the way, two of these could be the titles that we’ve not been able to pin down – And anyhow, it’s always fun to speculate!

Personally, I hope this is true. While Panzer Dragoon's mentioned, for example, it doesn't specify if it's a rail shooter or a JRPG. However I'd LOVE a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake, or a sequel (a sequel would have to continue the story past where it ended at tho, Saga is a prequel to the original game).

Any of these got the rest of you excited? Or what other Sega IP would you like to see come back? It's really cool to see SEGA tapping back into their legacy IP at last, hopefully they inspire certain other companies to do the same (<clears throat> Sony <ahem>).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They said they're bringing more when they revealed the few they had ready to show so how's this a rumour, it's confirmed (but not the specific titles and I wouldn't put much stock in people knowing those 100%, they just know there's more so wanna get prediction cred by posting whatever is likely).
However I'd LOVE a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake, or a sequel (a sequel would have to continue the story past where it ended at tho, Saga is a prequel to the original game).
No, Zwei is a prequel to the first, Saga is after both and Orta last. I'd take anything if well made, Panzer Dragoon could have been a mainstay IP ripe for all kinds of genres, from Monster Hunter-likes to MMORPGs, puzzle games, RTS and Grand Strategy games and so on and so foth, amazing setting.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Or what other Sega IP would you like to see come back?
Space Channel 5, Virtua Fighter, Streets of Rage 5, and Panzer Dragoon (rail shooter / action adventure).

I don't really need more Shining Force, or Valkyria Chronicles, even though they're both amazing. I'd be fine with their take on a new IP JRPG.

Get Yoko Taro to write Panzer Dragoon.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Chubby intensifies.

EDIT: What kind of stupid poll is this? This is SEGA's moment!

Space Channel 5, Virtua Fighter, Streets of Rage 5, and Panzer Dragoon (rail shooter / action adventure).

I don't really need more Shining Force, or Valkyria Chronicles, even though they're both amazing. I'd be fine with their take on a new IP JRPG.

Panzer Dragoon needs to come back as an RPG again. There still hasn't been a cool flying RPG like it.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Sony needs to bring back Socom. With that said, of this list I chose Capcom.

Leisure Suit Larry in '24 would be the villain arc I'd be here for.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Panzer Dragoon needs to come back as an RPG again. There still hasn't been a cool flying RPG like it.
That's one remake or remaster I'd be excited about. They should start there before working on a sequel. I'd be happy either way, but there's something special about the real Panzer Dragoon entries, and I'd like to see that expanded. Can include sections where you dismount and it's closer to a Zelda even. I want a action adventure / rail shooter personally.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Just want to remind folks to be careful what you wish for. Panzer Dragoon is beloved, but the last time a new game in a similar vein was made, we received Crimson Dragon which was… not great. Also, see Shenmue 3. PSO2 New Genesis is comedy in the form of a GAAS title.

We shall see, I hope my skepticism is off-base.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Just want to remind folks to be careful what you wish for. Panzer Dragoon is beloved, but the last time a new game in a similar vein was made, we received Crimson Dragon which was… not great. Also, see Shenmue 3. PSO2 New Genesis is comedy in the form of a GAAS title.

You will not temper my expectations. Let me enjoy this moment.

Gojiira

Sony could really do with bringing back some franchises,Wipeout could make a awesome Racer/RPG hybrid, Timba,Puppeteer,Dark Cloud,LoD,Ape Escape among others.

From Software too,Rerelease Kings Field in a nice HD collection,Shadow Tower too,literally just release in higher resolution and fps and modernise the movement and done. Otogi as well.

SALMORE

man am super excited about a new Eternal Champions entry !! will they go with the anime fighter style or the MK / KI one

They said they're bringing more when they revealed the few they had ready to show so how's this a rumour, it's confirmed (but not the specific titles and I wouldn't put much stock in people knowing those 100%, they just know there's more so wanna get prediction cred by posting whatever is likely).

No, Zwei is a prequel to the first, Saga is after both and Orta last. I'd take anything if well made, Panzer Dragoon could have been a mainstay IP ripe for all kinds of genres, from Monster Hunter-likes to MMORPGs, puzzle games, RTS and Grand Strategy games and so on and so foth, amazing setting.

Didn't know that was the order, but then again it's been a really long time since I last touched Saga. Also yeah, the potential for Panzer Dragoon has been slept on for so long. SEGA did make a Pokemon-type game in the '00s for arcades in Japan called Mushiking, and apparently it was really popular. But instead of dragons they went with beetles.

Yes to all of these; a new SoR is basically confirmed actually, and they re-released VF3 in Japanese arcades so that could be a hint a new one is coming (hopefully bringing back uneven rings/fighting arenas).

I think there was some weird stuff with Space Channel because Lady Miss Kier wanted royalties for Ulala's likeness; either she & SEGA hashed that out or SEGA could just change Ulala's look to avoid any legal issues (hopefully the former; I'm a Deee-Lite fan). And Panzer Dragoon just needs to come back in general.

I'd be down for a remaster collection or remake of Shining Force III series with all 3 Scenarios officially translated to English. Would be a Day 1 buy. But a new JRPG I guess would be cool too (tho they technically have one in Metaphor with Atlus).

You will not temper my expectations. Let me enjoy this moment.

We can all enjoy it together, brother. This is a time for celebration.

Well with Crimson Skies, that wasn't really SEGA's fault. It was originally a Kinect game but then Microsoft wanted it moved to the XBO. Then they added regular controller support and made other changes, but with some strict time constraints.

Crimson Dragon was announced in 2010 for Xbox 360 under the title Project Draco, using Kinect-only controls. After changing platform, standard controls were added and elements of its graphics and music were changed.

I don't think the same problems would happen with a Panzer Dragoon revival.

I'd also take another 3D Shinobi. Loved the PS2 one.

Maybe one with Joe and Nightshade working together, and (optional) two-player coop missions.

Last edited:

Holammer

Ape Escape reboot with modern controls based on mechanics from AE3 and let Mine Yoshizaki (Keroro Gunso) do the character design.
Swinging the net with the right stick was novel for the time, but today when it's used for camera controls in 99,9% of games, it's a horrible pain in the ass trying to play the old games.

clarky

Gold Member
I'd buy a PSVR2 if they did another Rez.

The poll has nothing to do with the topic, what's up with that?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
SEGA did make a Pokemon-type game in the '00s for arcades in Japan called Mushiking, and apparently it was really popular. But instead of dragons they went with beetles.
Well, that's one thing that wouldn't work for it, I'd not want them to trivialise dragons (or any of the awesome creatures of that world, bioengineered or mutated or natural) and dragoons like that. But Pokemon is still in the JRPG genre and that obviously works for PD, as with Saga. Mushiking is cool.

Last edited:
Bring back Virtua Cop or Confidential mission. Would be nice to see some of that rail shooter action again. Who am I kidding though.

I'd also take another 3D Shinobi. Loved the PS2 one.
Heard it was pretty challenging. If so, I'd support this.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

How about...

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

(I voted for all of them)

cireza

Exactly this. Current SEGA are a company that have perfectly understood what sells and what doesn't. They know how to turn a profit. After all the announcements, we will certainly have to sort things out because I am not playing GaaS or online multiplayer games. PSO2 is the perfect example of how bad it can turn, and they are going to try to apply this formula to as many games as possible. Games that won't follow this formula will be small projects given to small teams, exactly like they did for Sonic Mania, SoR4 and it seems : Shinobi. These will be the more interesting games for sure.

nial

Gold Member
Just want to point out how awesome a Space Channel 5 game would be in VR.
It already exists.

BTW, as I read somewhere else, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are seemingly GaaS made by their Online studio department (PSO2 NG), part of the Super Game thing.

Last edited:
I'd buy a PSVR2 if they did another Rez.

The poll has nothing to do with the topic, what's up with that?

Just curious what other legacy IP people are interested in seeing return. I feel like SEGA are setting some momentum in that area and it'd be neat to see other companies with neat legacy IP of their own, bring them back in revivals or such.

Not meant to take any shine off SEGA's stuff actually, hopefully it doesn't seem that way.

BURNING RANGERS PLEASE FFS!!

This could really do with a remake. The original game was too ambitious for the Saturn and it's a miracle they managed to pull it off on that system.

Even so, it can barely really run and some of the visuals take an obvious hit not to mention framerates. A modern remake would fix all of that and be super-smooth. Some fans did a mock-up demo of a modern remake on PC, it looked pretty good.

We're eating good.
R3GPR9m.png

I forget from time to time, that SEGA were a sponsor for the show in Japan. The Saturn's even featured directly in a few episodes. Pretty cool.

Top Bottom