• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 23H2 arrives on the 26th of September, with a focus on AI

Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes. I'm ready.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • No. There is nothing there for me.

Votes: 66 39.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I'm on Linux or MacOS. Or consoles.

Votes: 25 15.0%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member

Microsoft announced during its special event today that Windows 11 version 23H2 will be released next week on September 26. As the company previously explained, this update will be available as an enablement package as it shares the same code base and servicing branch as Windows 11 version 22H2.

Windows 11 version 23H2 will be quite a significant update with lots of AI-themed additions. The new Windows Copilot that Microsoft has been testing with Insiders has been rebranded to just “Copilot,” and Microsoft described it as a cross-device assistant that can use context from conversations you had on your phone. Copilot will also be deeply integrated into Microsoft’s Edge browser.

The next annual update for Windows 11 will also include the following new features:

Modernized File Explorer: File Explorer is getting a new home experience with a redesigned address bar and search box, and a new Gallery feature providing access to your photo collection

Windows Ink Anywhere: Users will now be able to input text with Windows Ink anywhere they can type on Windows.

Native .rar support: Windows 11 is adding support for more archive formats including .rar, .tar, and other archive formats

New Outlook for Windows: This new web-based client has been available in public preview for quite some time and it’s set to replace the Windows Mail and Calendar app.

Dynamic Lighting: Users with devices with RGB lights will now be able to control them from the Settings app

Windows Backup app: This new app will simplify the process of backing up your files, apps, and settings so you can seamlessly restore them on a new Windows 11 PC.

Taskbar updates: Microsoft is bringing back app labels and the never combine mode to the Windows 11 taskbar

AI features in Photos: The Photos app will let users add a background blur effect to images, and it also lets users search for photos stored in OneDrive based on the content of the photos

Snipping Tool updates: Snipping Tool will let users copy text from an image and hide text to protect sensitive information.

Paint updates: Paint is adding support for background removal and layers, and a new AI-powered Cocreator feature is also coming in public preview.

MY PC refuses to update to Windows 11. It's that old. I've tried the Rufus work arounds but I don't get any updates after that.

Comandr

It's going to be sad not seeing winrar constantly tell me this is a trial version please buy it :(
MY PC refuses to update to Windows 11. It's that old. I've tried the Rufus work arounds but I don't get any updates after that.
I have a couple VERY old laptops that I installed 11 on with Ghost Spectre Windows 11. Might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dis

nikos

For those who use windows 11. Is it better for gaming yet?

I heard Ryzen processors have poor performance on windows 11.

Been better for gaming since it released. Same architecture as Windows 10 so I'm not sure why people are so reluctant to update.

There's definitely some optimization to be done for max performance but it's been that way for every version of Windows.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Windows 10 is my last windows, after that I'll be moving over to Linux as Proton/Gamescope is getting better each day.
vyd4dbxzhw781.jpg

In few years

Melon Husk

Wow, rip WinRAR?
and paint.net to a small extent.

The copilot is a good rebranding but rebrand the balanced/creative/factual modes too. It should let me pick a personality core like cortana, rover the dog and clippy. Too impersonal by default.

Last edited:

twilo99

Both my laptops are on it but I’ve been reluctant to upgrade my gaming machine… I think the time has finally come.

Lillie

I've said that about every version I've used and I now about to upgrade my last machine to 11
What do you find gives you value with it - just curious for you personally with your upgrade. Also are you reformatting from scratch when you say upgrade or windows "upgrading" keeping all files, etc.

twilo99

What do you find gives you value with it - just curious for you personally with your upgrade. Also are you reformatting from scratch when you say upgrade or windows "upgrading" keeping all files, etc.

Reformatting is what has kept me from upgrading thus far, so I think I might do just the upgrade first and if there are any issues I will then worry about formatting and starting fresh. I usually always start fresh when I install a new version, but windows 11 is kinda of a "service pack" really so it might be alright.

Not much real value besides some aesthetics like the new task manager and the file explorer. There are a few nice features as well, but really, nothing essential. The new volume mixer is cool, but can get that on 10 with a 3rd party solution anyway.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I’ll definitely be upgrading, I don’t have any issues with Windows and I’m pretty happy with Microsoft here.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hi, I’m your friendly windows AI - It seems you have clicked the start menu - are you sure you want to delete all the data on C:

I moved all my machines that run Windows from 10 to 11 late last year. It's not a big deal to me, just disable a few annoying things and you're good.

Top Bottom