• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) SEGA Might Be Bringing Back MORE Classic IP!

What other companies would you like to see bring back some legacy IP (choose any)?

• Sony (Wipeout, Legend of Dragoon, Parappa, Motor Toon, Dark Cloud, G Police, Ape Escape etc.)

Votes: 65 42.8%
  • Microsoft (Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, Jet Force Gemini, Kameo etc.)

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Nintendo (Earthbound, Doshin the Giant, Eternal Darkness etc.)

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • Bandai-Namco (Ridge Racer, Dancing Eyes, Mr. Digger, Time Crisis etc.)

Votes: 40 26.3%
  • Square-Enix (Parasite Eve, Einhander, Brave Fencer Mushashi, ActRaiser, etc.)

Votes: 67 44.1%
  • Capcom (Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.)

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • Konami (Castlevania, Snatcher, World Evolution Soccer etc.)

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • Treasure (Gunstar Heroes, Sin & Punishment, Silhouette Mirage, Mischief Makers, Alien Soldier etc.)

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • SNK/ADK (Metal Slug, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Ikari Warriors, The Last Blade, etc.)

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • Other (mention them below)

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brigandier

Tired of this shit. I want new IPs and I want studios working full force on new IPs, not split with part of them doing remakes/remasters.

What's wrong with returning to older dormant IP??? It's not like we're on about a new Assassin's Creed or cod 🤔

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I miss how these companies were and thanks OP for allowing multiple votes.
Not any one in particular but I went with: Sony, Nintendo, Square-Enix (although some of those IPs appear to have been during the Squaresoft days), Capcom, Konami and most certainly SNK.
The few listed work for me.
I'm not greedy and if I could choose one of those from any given, that'd be amazing.
I'm a remaster over remakes sorta guy too -- so, make it easier provided there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tired of this shit. I want new IPs and I want studios working full force on new IPs, not split with part of them doing remakes/remasters.

While I normally agree with this sentiment, there’s some fantastic franchises that have been on ice for generations.

Like I’d love to see Mark of Kri return in a new game, but with some absolutely crazy art.
A new Downhill Domination would also be fun as hell.

Futaleufu

SNK seems to be on the right track, a new Art of Fighting was confirmed to be on development some days ago.

BTW, Gowcaizer was developed by Technos (IPs now owned by Arc System Works)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's according to Insider Gaming (Tom Henderson's website). Here are some excerpts:

Personally, I hope this is true. While Panzer Dragoon's mentioned, for example, it doesn't specify if it's a rail shooter or a JRPG. However I'd LOVE a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake, or a sequel (a sequel would have to continue the story past where it ended at tho, Saga is a prequel to the original game).

Any of these got the rest of you excited? Or what other Sega IP would you like to see come back? It's really cool to see SEGA tapping back into their legacy IP at last, hopefully they inspire certain other companies to do the same (<clears throat> Sony <ahem>).
acAAPQo.png

Meicyn

Gold Member
The original style, not what Sega crapped out post SF3.
Won’t happen, Sega burned bridges with Camelot Software Planning. They were having audio issues with Shining Force 3 which got worse in scenario 2 and repeatedly asked for help from Sega of Japan. Radio silence. They shipped scenario 3 with a brute force fix, and have been making games for Nintendo ever since.

demigod

Someone bring back Tenchu, is that too much to ask?

Also will take Marvel VS Capcom 1, the only best. And some RE outbreaks while they’re at it.

Crew511A

Won’t happen, Sega burned bridges with Camelot Software Planning. They were having audio issues with Shining Force 3 which got worse in scenario 2 and repeatedly asked for help from Sega of Japan. Radio silence. They shipped scenario 3 with a brute force fix, and have been making games for Nintendo ever since.
Supposedly one of the Takahashis has said they've buried the hatchet and would work on a title for Sega if asked.

Jesb

Why did Sony abandon Dark Cloud? Wasn’t it a big name for rpg’s? Not really my type of games but I remember there always was hype about them.

Last edited:

Yeah I've heard about this. They had to do something with the sound processor in the Saturn and use it in some unconventional way, but I though that was more for something not audio-related. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else that called for aggressive use of the DSP (which isn't particularly well-documented, turns out).

I'd be curious if there were a group out there passionate enough about fan-made classic Shining Force who could do for that what Christian Whitehead's group did for Sonic Mania. It'd be the best compromise IMHO. However I doubt Shining Force has that type of community.

I miss how these companies were and thanks OP for allowing multiple votes.
Not any one in particular but I went with: Sony, Nintendo, Square-Enix (although some of those IPs appear to have been during the Squaresoft days), Capcom, Konami and most certainly SNK.
The few listed work for me.
I'm not greedy and if I could choose one of those from any given, that'd be amazing.
I'm a remaster over remakes sorta guy too -- so, make it easier provided there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

At least some compilation remasters with a few QoL improvements would be great for these IP, to gauge interest and whet appetites in case of remakes and/or sequels.

Lists Square Enix but doesn't list Chrono Trigger

TopherChuckle.gif

I feel like that's THE Square-Enix game everyone keeps asking to come back, so it's a known quantity.

Why did Sony abandon Dark Cloud? Wasn’t it a big name for rpg’s? Not really my type of games but I remember there always was hype about them.

I can't recall them being massive bangers back in the day, though reception was fair and coverage also fair. They're solid games, I guess Sony just felt less a need for in-house JRPGs when all the big ones were coming to PS2 as defacto exclusives (FF X, Persona 3, SMT 3, Rogue Galaxy, Xenosaga etc.).

That's barely the case anymore tho, so maybe bringing back one or two of their own JRPG IPs as exclusives would be beneficial in multiple areas.

How is LSL and Gabe Knight MS games? Did MS make or publish them?

I think ABK own the IP rights and, well, you know what happened last year.

But I could be wrong; was wrong about one of the others apparently.

It already exists.

BTW, as I read somewhere else, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio are seemingly GaaS made by their Online studio department (PSO2 NG), part of the Super Game thing.

Nah, I think those have been retooled since the initial announcements. Or it certainly seemed that way with the reveals. Jet Set Radio for example looks like a remake or continuation of the game model the originals had. But, they could've cleverly edited out MP GaaS elements as well, same with Crazy Taxi.

I'm not against MP PvP or PvPvE-type stuff that's drop-in/drop-out like the Souls games in either of them. However, full-on GaaS (including being online-only) would be terrible. I don't think the IP need or could sustain that type of update frequency. There has to be meaty single-player content in them; not Persona levels of quantity but hefty enough. Preferably with zany story modes (JSR would certainly have that, but I'd like the new Crazy Taxi to do similar).

They should do a full remake of this
2482252-deep-fear-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

Definitely. It was ahead of RE with being able to move & shoot at the same time. Some of the horror elements could've been better though. Surprised SEGA never continued the IP on Dreamcast, and it doesn't seem like Blue Stinger is much of a continuation.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah I've heard about this. They had to do something with the sound processor in the Saturn and use it in some unconventional way, but I though that was more for something not audio-related. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else that called for aggressive use of the DSP (which isn't particularly well-documented, turns out).
Yeah, they figured out a way to use the audio processor to do some extra crunching to help with graphical effects. It’s plausible that Sega didn’t help them since they were using the audio processor in a way that was not intended.

nial

Gold Member
Nah, I think those have been retooled since the initial announcements. Or it certainly seemed that way with the reveals. Jet Set Radio for example looks like a remake or continuation of the game model the originals had. But, they could've cleverly edited out MP GaaS elements as well, same with Crazy Taxi.

I'm not against MP PvP or PvPvE-type stuff that's drop-in/drop-out like the Souls games in either of them. However, full-on GaaS (including being online-only) would be terrible. I don't think the IP need or could sustain that type of update frequency. There has to be meaty single-player content in them; not Persona levels of quantity but hefty enough. Preferably with zany story modes (JSR would certainly have that, but I'd like the new Crazy Taxi to do similar).
I read about it here.

IAmRei

This will be lot of requests:
Brave fencer musashi 3
Vagrant story remake
Breath of fire
Legend of dragoon remake
Parodious
Thread of fate /dewprism
Bouncer 2

To be honest there will be a lot if i continue this list...

zenspider

I've been praying SEGA do something like this for a while... might even have the receipts in a forum post somewhere. Hope it works out.

Konami made this play in the WiiWare era with M2 making BANGER entries for Contra, Gradius and Castlevania. Didn't work out.
Treasure brough back IP during the GBA era with Advance Gunstar and Guardian Heroes. Didnt' work out.
Capcom kinda is? Ghosts N' Goblins Resurrection might be the best old-school action of the generation. Didn't work out.
Now that the PS1 era is becoming the indie retro du jour, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to capitalize on it 5-10 years from now, but if they can't make it into TV/movie IP they might not bother.
SNK is making metal Slug Tactics and is looking at this strategy already with other IP.
Microsoft... Maybe bring back Brute Force? lol
Nintendo lent out Zelda for Cadence of Hyrule and does their "99s" and Virtual Console. Rumors of for 'Cadence' style loans have been going around.
Bandai and Square AFAIK have not had real attempt at an retro IP revival (save FFVII forever, Pac-Man World, Championship, mobile) so that could be very interesting.

cireza

Supposedly one of the Takahashis has said they've buried the hatchet and would work on a title for Sega if asked.
Yeah, they figured out a way to use the audio processor to do some extra crunching to help with graphical effects. It’s plausible that Sega didn’t help them since they were using the audio processor in a way that was not intended.
Heard about all of this. I am myself a huge Shining Force fan, and I am quite sad at what Camelot has been relegated to with Mario sports spin-offs.

I sincerely hope SEGA and Camelot can find a way to make this a reality, because Camelot have always been very competent developers.

Jesb

Are they gonna do any big things with these or just small little stuff. Shinobi would be great as a Mark of the ninja type game. But they can also turn this into a ninja gaiden type of game. That would be good since team ninja abandoned that formula.

RhyDin

I'd love for Outrun to return, even as a simple remaster.
People said for years that Outrun would never return because SEGA doesn't have the license with Ferrari or whatever. Personally, I couldn't care less if they had Ferrari licensed cars or just knock-offs. I just want a new Outrun with Outrun 2 drift mechanics.

Playing Outrun 2 or Outrun Coast to Coast on a modern PC is a pain.

phant0m

I want Soony to bring back Jak & daxter, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance.

Motorstorm would be cool too (RIP Evolution)

Sega should bring back their NFL 2K games. Midway's Blitz (football) and Hitz (hockey) would be cool too.

Last edited:

That's wild, but I love hearing about devs back in the day taking such unorthodox methods to squeeze more out of the hardware. It's a magic to being creative with the constraints of esoteric console hardware that's mostly lost these days.

As a side effect so many games of those eras have a very specific identity that you can feel is defined by the console the game was originally made for. That's been lost a ton with modern game development, sadly.

I've been praying SEGA do something like this for a while... might even have the receipts in a forum post somewhere. Hope it works out.

Konami made this play in the WiiWare era with M2 making BANGER entries for Contra, Gradius and Castlevania. Didn't work out.
Treasure brough back IP during the GBA era with Advance Gunstar and Guardian Heroes. Didnt' work out.
Capcom kinda is? Ghosts N' Goblins Resurrection might be the best old-school action of the generation. Didn't work out.
Now that the PS1 era is becoming the indie retro du jour, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to capitalize on it 5-10 years from now, but if they can't make it into TV/movie IP they might not bother.
SNK is making metal Slug Tactics and is looking at this strategy already with other IP.
Microsoft... Maybe bring back Brute Force? lol
Nintendo lent out Zelda for Cadence of Hyrule and does their "99s" and Virtual Console. Rumors of for 'Cadence' style loans have been going around.
Bandai and Square AFAIK have not had real attempt at an retro IP revival (save FFVII forever, Pac-Man World, Championship, mobile) so that could be very interesting.

With Sony, I just hope they bring back any of their legacy IP from the PS1/PS2 eras in general. But specifically Parappa/UmJammer, Tomba (well, Whoopy Camp own that IP but if Sony would help co-fund a Tomba 3 that'd be awesome), Arc the Lad, Locoroco etc. Modestly small-budget ($20 million - $30 million if even that) mid-AA games with some production values similar to a Stray or Kena.

I mean think of it this way: if Jim Ryan were approving PC ports on a simple email that were under $30 million, that money could've gone towards a 1P AA game that'd of sold more copies and generated a lot more revenue on PlayStation than the PC port of whatever game would eventually have gone over on that email approval. It's just one of the reasons I've always been suspect of that PC strategy but, I digress..

You bring up failed attempts by Konami, Treasure etc. but I think it's VERY important to remember that nostalgia back then was nowhere near the level it is today. Back in the mid and late '00s people weren't too nostalgic over SNES/Genesis or PS1/N64 games. Even NES nostalgia was subdued compared to what it'd become a decade later. The companies that tried bringing back classic IP in the examples you mention were more victims of being a good idea at the wrong time. Also at least last I remember, GnG Resurrection did pretty well considering its budget, tho I think it was a Switch exclusive for the longest time which might've suppressed some of its potential sales cap elsewhere.

I'm very excited for City of the Wolves, and as for Microsoft, they do have some older IP like, dunno...Minesweeper? 😂 They actually should've done a Crimson Skies-themed expansion for Flight Sim IMO, with missions and a story campaign. Should've done similar for the Top Gun crossover too; just adding a plane inspired by it felt like they were phoning it in. Bandai-Namco might not have too many classic IP that could be easily brought back, but I say this as someone not familiar with their stuff pre'90s outside of things like Dig-Dug.

Square hasn't done too much with IP like Parasite Even and Einhander, and I think a lot would love a Xenogears remake that actually fleshed out the content on the 2nd disc that was scaled back due to time & budget constraints.

Heard about all of this. I am myself a huge Shining Force fan, and I am quite sad at what Camelot has been relegated to with Mario sports spin-offs.

I sincerely hope SEGA and Camelot can find a way to make this a reality, because Camelot have always been very competent developers.

The Mario Tennis, Golf and Soccer games are really fun tho. But yes, Camelot are very skilled developers; someone else ITT said that SEGA and Camelot amended the issues between them so Camelot coming back to Shining Force would probably come down to if SEGA were interested in reviving the classic style of the IP.

Which, hopefully, they are. Either for that, Dragon Force or Phantasy Star. A Phantasy Star in the style of a SF3 SRPG would be pretty interesting.

Konami needs to bring back Goemon/Mystical Ninja.

For whatever reason the mecha fights in these games always kicked my ass, even when it seemed I was doing well and winning at first.

People said for years that Outrun would never return because SEGA doesn't have the license with Ferrari or whatever. Personally, I couldn't care less if they had Ferrari licensed cars or just knock-offs. I just want a new Outrun with Outrun 2 drift mechanics.

Playing Outrun 2 or Outrun Coast to Coast on a modern PC is a pain.

The Ferrari license thing isn't the main reason people like the Outrun games, anyway. Yes, it adds a lot to the charm, but it's the driving physics and style of Outrun why people like those games.

Outrunners proves it; I don't know how that game did in arcades, but if it didn't do too hot, that's probably only because it was still sprite-based when polygon racers like Virtual Racing and Ridge Racer were starting to dominate arcades.

Are they gonna do any big things with these or just small little stuff. Shinobi would be great as a Mark of the ninja type game. But they can also turn this into a ninja gaiden type of game. That would be good since team ninja abandoned that formula.

Dunno; I assume some could be larger-scale (I think Jet Set Radio & Crazy Taxi may be that way), others smaller scale. But I don't expect the larger-scale stuff to be modern AAA-levels in budget. Likely more mid-AA budgets for those (which I'd peg around $30 - $40 million), or maybe high-AA budgets ( < $55 million).

I read about it here.

Hmm...well I guess Crazy Taxi will be more GaaS after all tho, again, that doesn't mean it won't have robust single-player content. And online MP components make perfect sense for that type of game.

If that info holds up over from IB, Jet Set Radio is the more curious of the two for me. No telling how exactly it'll pan out but I figure they are building something that is easily scalable to mobile platforms as well as console. Not an inherently bad idea. The question is will the gameplay depth be there, or is it going to be more like a Subway Surfers with Jet Set Radio skin painted over top? Which, well, would feel like a complete cash-in and ruin the hype.

Considering who they have leading the project tho, I have faith the gameplay will be rather in-depth and in line with the console JSR/JSRF games with modern control features taken into account, and have solid/robust story & single-player content. There are some great console-like games on mobile that don't devolve into gatcha and MTX hellscapes; the new JSR should take from those examples and build upon them.

zenspider

With Sony, I just hope they bring back any of their legacy IP from the PS1/PS2 eras in general. But specifically Parappa/UmJammer, Tomba (well, Whoopy Camp own that IP but if Sony would help co-fund a Tomba 3 that'd be awesome), Arc the Lad, Locoroco etc. Modestly small-budget ($20 million - $30 million if even that) mid-AA games with some production values similar to a Stray or Kena.

I mean think of it this way: if Jim Ryan were approving PC ports on a simple email that were under $30 million, that money could've gone towards a 1P AA game that'd of sold more copies and generated a lot more revenue on PlayStation than the PC port of whatever game would eventually have gone over on that email approval. It's just one of the reasons I've always been suspect of that PC strategy but, I digress..

You bring up failed attempts by Konami, Treasure etc. but I think it's VERY important to remember that nostalgia back then was nowhere near the level it is today. Back in the mid and late '00s people weren't too nostalgic over SNES/Genesis or PS1/N64 games. Even NES nostalgia was subdued compared to what it'd become a decade later. The companies that tried bringing back classic IP in the examples you mention were more victims of being a good idea at the wrong time. Also at least last I remember, GnG Resurrection did pretty well considering its budget, tho I think it was a Switch exclusive for the longest time which might've suppressed some of its potential sales cap elsewhere.

I'm very excited for City of the Wolves, and as for Microsoft, they do have some older IP like, dunno...Minesweeper? 😂 They actually should've done a Crimson Skies-themed expansion for Flight Sim IMO, with missions and a story campaign. Should've done similar for the Top Gun crossover too; just adding a plane inspired by it felt like they were phoning it in. Bandai-Namco might not have too many classic IP that could be easily brought back, but I say this as someone not familiar with their stuff pre'90s outside of things like Dig-Dug.

Square hasn't done too much with IP like Parasite Even and Einhander, and I think a lot would love a Xenogears remake that actually fleshed out the content on the 2nd disc that was scaled back due to time & budget
Sony seems like a sailed ship — after shutting down their Japanese development operations, I can’t imagine them “getting the band back together”. Shame, but on the bright side it’s been so long that going back to playing old greats like Ape Escape and Jumping Flash! feels like a new experience.

I think your right about nostalgia-retro today versus the “first wave”. It hit too early, and despite it’s high quality nobody cared. Brown-grey 3D reboots ended up being the way, though really a dead end.

Something interesting happening in the shmup-o-sphere is many of the original devs are getting back into the game, especially with original hardware releases: Yuzo Koshiro is developing a shmup for the Mega Drive called Earthion, ex-Compile devs are making an NES shooter, and I think there’s more. Ex-Toaplan or working on a new Truxton for PS5, and there’s a ton of talent that winded up at M2 who’s releasing a new game in the Aleste series (hopefully) this year. There’s even ex-Irem and SNK guys making a spiritual sequel to Metal Slug (Jet Finger Black?). I don’t know if or when this trend breaks through to the mainstream.

Square really squanders their IP. If it isn’t Cloud-related or Cloud-adjacent, they just don’t seem to think anyone cares. Outside of great titles like Bushido Blade that have been hugely influential in the indie space, their outburst of creativity in the 32-bit days may just stay fodder for YouTubers.

Last edited:
Sony seems like a sailed ship — after shutting down their Japanese development operations, I can’t imagine them “getting the band back together”. Shame, but on the bright side it’s been so long that going back to playing old greats like Ape Escape and Jumping Flash! feels like a new experience.

Well TBF, they didn't really "shut down" the Japanese stuff; they did close Japan Studio, but most of that talent went over to Team Asobi. That, and Polyphony Digital are stronger than ever. They did let the Team Ico people go, which is a shame, and they've shuttered IP like Gravity Rush (game-wise), but I have always kinda taken the "Sony abandoned Japan 1P" claims as a bit silly. Not to mention across Asia they have XDEV who work with a lot of different studios.

That said, I do 100% agree that Sony have largely ignored most of their legacy Japanese IP, titles like Ape Escape & Jumping Flash! among them. If they could at least take notes from companies like SEGA and work with talented studios willing to bring those IP back as affordably budgeted AA titles, it would be a really good move. There's the rumor that Sony are working with SEGA and Bandai-Namco to bring back some legacy IP like Wipeout, and I hope that's the start of more such ventures for them.

I think your right about nostalgia-retro today versus the “first wave”. It hit too early, and despite it’s high quality nobody cared. Brown-grey 3D reboots ended up being the way, though really a dead end.

Yeah like the third-person Bionic Commando game (not Rearmed; the other one) from that gen. It just felt very un-like the character and IP. Lots of companies were guilty of that type of stuff during 7th gen, tho.

Something interesting happening in the shmup-o-sphere is many of the original devs are getting back into the game, especially with original hardware releases: Yuzo Koshiro is developing a shmup for the Mega Drive called Earthion, ex-Compile devs are making an NES shooter, and I think there’s more. Ex-Toaplan or working on a new Truxton for PS5, and there’s a ton of talent that winded up at M2 who’s releasing a new game in the Aleste series (hopefully) this year. There’s even ex-Irem and SNK guys making a spiritual sequel to Metal Slug (Jet Finger Black?). I don’t know if or when this trend breaks through to the mainstream.

Yeah I've been noticing that too. I think M2 bringing back games like Gimmick! and Rocky & Pocky was sort of a start to this, or at least the first time I really took notice. Otherwise systems like MegaDrive & Neo-Geo were getting new games, shmups included, but they were indie titles with unknown IP. I also think the Gimmick! thing was done for the EXA-Arcadia system initially. It's really neat to see.

Does it become mainstream? Well depends on what you mean by "mainstream". Outside of stuff like a new Sonic Mania or classic Mega Man I wouldn't expect most of these games to get anywhere near a million units. But they don't need to in order to justify existing; they're games being made on much smaller budgets than even most lower-budget AA games. I'd guess any one of them are comfortably under $5 million for total budget & marketing costs.

Between stuff like that and the demakes of modern games as PS1/Saturn/N64-style games, I'm just really loving the energy in the retro scene (outside of prices for buying retro games, which have reached scalping levels in some cases).

Square really squanders their IP. If it isn’t Cloud-related or Cloud-adjacent, they just don’t seem to think anyone cares. Outside of great titles like Bushido Blade that have been hugely influential in the indie space, their outburst of creativity in the 32-bit days may just stay fodder for YouTubers.

That's really sad to consider, but I still think there's room for them to get back to that creative energy, maybe including some revivals. Many would love a Parasite Eve remake, or one for the sequel. Again, games like Xenogears have basically been begging for a remake for years.

Them taking chances with IP like Octopath Traveller and that Little Red Riding Hood game last year show they're willing to consider these initiatives if they make financial sense. But it would probably be easier if say Sony, for example, helped co-fund and co-develop some such titles (like, again, a Parasite Eve and/or Xenogears remake).

Top Bottom