• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad, Vinny, and Alex all leaving Giant Bomb

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I'm familiar with how much one of the founding members was paid during the cnet years and I think it has to be a decrease in pay.

ItsTheNew

You seem to be implying that it was not an inconsequential amount for a news editor position.
I'd say this person was paid very well, not even accounting for presumable benefits.

Edit: and this was years ago. If this person quit over a little more work vs pay then that would be disappointing. I think trying to replace THAT amount via a patreon is out of the question.

Last edited:

TheMan

I'd say this person was paid very well, not even accounting for presumable benefits.

Edit: and this was years ago. If this person quit over a little more work vs pay then that would be disappointing. I think trying to replace THAT amount via a patreon is out of the question.
Big Jeff gets 200 k per year

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Why would I choose to not name the person and all the details? I just posted my opinion on why they probably left. I'm protecting myself.
tenor.gif

ItsTheNew

damn, these guys really don’t make shit. on the other hand they don’t really work either.
Patrick definitely got paid peanuts during that time, wonder if the new hires are near that amount. But then again who is subbing for Patrick lol

Last edited:

YodaBB

ME! Wait what were we talking about, again?
I think there is actually a decent amount of evidence for this. If you look at all 3 of their twitters they all mention spending some time away ... I have a feeling we may never know I doubt we will ever get a tell all book for a niche video game site.
I think it's generally a good life rule to ignore anything anyone ever posts on Twatter - I tend to live by the Occam's Razor principle. Three people leave a company on the same day, probably fired. You're right, though, I doubt we'll ever hear for sure.
I will add, though, that anyone who keeps their GB sub (or God forbid renews) is endorsing the treatment of these 3 guys. You might not like the recent output (I certainly didn't), but the old GB would never have existed without Vinny, Brad & Alex, and it will certainly be worse without them.

Sidesalad

Yeah that video by Jeff just firms my own opinion that Vinny, Brad and Alex were presented a vision of where the new owners of Giant Bomb wanted to go and basically nope'd out of there.

I think we'll see an influx of new talent at GB, hired for whatever reason, and the comparisons with Jeff remaining will exist and eventually GB will be something very different to even a couple of years ago. GB may still exist, but the (insert cringe alert) remaining soul of it wont.

The thing I loved about GB, was it always reminded me of the days when I was hanging out with close friends, making inappropriate jokes, and not taking ourselves too seriously.

I'm extremely weary of what this new vision is. I really like Jeff, Jason, Jan, and Jeff B, but depending on who they add, if they get caught up in the wave of woke culture, then it'll most likely be time for me to retire from watching video game content. I specifically make time to listen to the Bombcast, and could honestly use those few hours each week for other projects.

HoodWinked

Jeff is cleaning his garage maybe they are relocating. I can see Vinny, Brad and Alex refusing to move, Vinny basically started GBeast so he could move back to Jersey, Brad never wants to leave his rent controlled unit and Alex is gonna Alex. Jeff B. since he's still in a CNET limbo thing probably is exempt.

CitizenZ

Banned
damn, these guys really don’t make shit. on the other hand they don’t really work either.

Take into consideration where they live, the worst places in the US for an actual human. your local Mid/small town fast food employee is making equal and living a helluva lot better.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Jeff is cleaning his garage maybe they are relocating. I can see Vinny, Brad and Alex refusing to move, Vinny basically started GBeast so he could move back to Jersey, Brad never wants to leave his rent controlled unit and Alex is gonna Alex. Jeff B. since he's still in a CNET limbo thing probably is exempt.
from what I read he and his wife are having another baby, relocating his stuff to the garage because they needed the extra room, which led to him finally clearing out some of the junk

jaysius

Banned

that’s nothing for SF.

Fuck this guy, he's super annoying. The biggest thing he's known for is lucking into information.

Jesus is that Rorie clown still going to be at GB? This is awful.

I guess the Brad is leaving joke finally came to fruition it only took about 10 years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

The Klepek years were the worst GB years in my opinion. This was the first time were I skipped listening to the Podcast from time to time. He was/is insufferable.

Klepek was great with Ryan . They liked each other. It was good time. Abby was downfall

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuck this guy, he's super annoying. The biggest thing he's known for is lucking into information.

Jesus is that Rorie clown still going to be at GB? This is awful.

I guess the Brad is leaving joke finally came to fruition it only took about 10 years.
Yikes, what spawns this kind of hatred to another human that I imagine you've never met?

Krathoon

Some of their funniest stuff is when they struggle with playing video games or deal with the absurdity of video games.

I liked it when Vinny played through Bioforge. Also, Spookin' with Scoops was good.

I do wonder if they got canned and executives are trying to bring in new blood.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I got to thinking, where I live in the metropolitan midwest, not only are those salaries perfectly normal and reasonable for a professional gig, they are actually a touch high by maybe 10k or so. You can live very comfortably raising a family in a very nice neighborhood for any of this salaries. And most of these people are either unmarried or both are working.

Jeff mentioned in the bombcast that at one point they were having talks about moving to suburban Ohio in order to keep the company solvent. Since all of this stuff is online anyway, is there any reason they would still have to work in Silicon Valley adjacent locations? It’s the fucking Internet. It functions just as well in low-cost of living cities.

Sometimes I think these companies are more wedded to the culture they swim in, than they are to their business pursuits and their fans/customers.

sn0man

That’s what I keep thinking. Why not try and move to the Midwest and make a go of it in like a Chicago suburb or somewhere that is tolerable to all parties. I guess Vinny would never leave where he is.

CitizenZ

Banned

The Klepek years were the worst GB years in my opinion. This was the first time were I skipped listening to the Podcast from time to time. He was/is insufferable.

I never really got the reason for PK dislike. I dont agree with really a lot of any of his views, but he was harmless and total respect as he has done the grind for decades now. He also is a lot of really good videos including one of my favorites:

Grechy34

So is 75KUS in San Francisco considered a bad salary? I live in Australia and 75KAUD is a reasonable salary here. 100K is above the median I believe. Post COVID or COVID whatever you want to call it businesses are being more shrewd with pay.

chriskun

So is 75KUS in San Francisco considered a bad salary? I live in Australia and 75KAUD is a reasonable salary here. 100K is above the median I believe. Post COVID or COVID whatever you want to call it businesses are being more shrewd with pay.
Its definitely doable here. You might need to make some sacrifices but you can live pretty comfortably on that salary.

This was my guess. Raging fires were close to his home last year(I believe he had to evacuate IIRC) and fire season is expected to be potentially worse this year due to drought. With a baby and a new one on the way, bailing outta the area would be a huge relief.

Last edited:

Reallink

Those are all very solid salaries. Where do you live and what do you do to expect a 20-something with a BA in Journalism to start out at more than $50K? His Giantbomb salary was 10 years ago and he was a fresh hire with only a few years experience, 65K was generous. It's now a decade later, and all these guys have many more years of experience and seniority. They likely all earn $80K at minimum, Vinny and Brad are probably around $100K or higher. That would put them in the top 10% of individual earners.

Last edited:

SCB3

Sometimes I think these companies are more wedded to the culture they swim in, than they are to their business pursuits and their fans/customers.
Yep, I got let go from my last Company at the beginning of the pandemic last year because they wanted to close up one office, but the thing is, the whole job could be and was done at times remotely, they just wanted everyone in London

Sidesalad

It did seem start downhill when Ryan passed away. He was the leader.
I see a lot of people on here saying this, but I really don't think Jeff gets enough credit for the job he did. Was GB different after Ryan passed away? Of course, but whether it was better or not is subjective. They still produced hundreds of hours of enjoyable content without Ryan.

Krathoon

I see a lot of people on here saying this, but I really don't think Jeff gets enough credit for the job he did. Was GB different after Ryan passed away? Of course, but whether it was better or not is subjective. They still produced hundreds of hours of enjoyable content without Ryan.
I may be too harsh. Jeff did a good job running things. Who knows? We may have been in the same situation if Ryan was around.

bender

What time is it?

It's no disrespect to Jeff or anyone else really but Ryan and Dan seemed to be the biggest "idea" people that the site ever had and were always wanting to try new concepts.

Sidesalad

I may be too harsh. Jeff did a good job running things. Who knows? We may have been in the same situation if Ryan was around.
Yeah, we'll never know. With how quickly content creation trends change now a days, nobody lasts forever. It's a constant fight to stay relevant, and eventually, everyone loses.

BigBooper

ME! Wait what were we talking about, again?

I think it's generally a good life rule to ignore anything anyone ever posts on Twatter - I tend to live by the Occam's Razor principle. Three people leave a company on the same day, probably fired. You're right, though, I doubt we'll ever hear for sure.
I will add, though, that anyone who keeps their GB sub (or God forbid renews) is endorsing the treatment of these 3 guys. You might not like the recent output (I certainly didn't), but the old GB would never have existed without Vinny, Brad & Alex, and it will certainly be worse without them.
They got paid for the old GB output.

Top Bottom