• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD supplied review guide shows 7950X3D being barely faster than 13900K. 13900K ~10% faster than 7950X. (RTX 4090, 1080p).

MikeM

Doesn't changed the fact that DDR5 6000 is slow for a high end Intel rig.

People who want the best performance in games don't buy speeds anywhere close to the official Intel spec.
Its an option, but not required and likely not reflective of the real world.
Dude, WTF are you talking about? Buying a 13900K with 6000MTs memory makes perfect sense.

I believe its the most popular speed too. Seems pretty real world to use 6000MT RAM which is nice to see.

Leonidas

Like I said, all those CPUs are overclocked with 6000 MT/s memory.
AMD is running their RAM 15% over spec.
AMD is running Intel only 7% over spec.

AMD put a bigger OC on their own platform.

6000 CL30 and 6800 CL34 perform very similar, in some games 6000 wins and in others 6800 wins.
Link me to the article, posting one huge graph at a time is meaningless.

You're wasting your time. He's butthurt because they didn't use 7200MTs memory for the 13900K.
I wouldn't expect them to, it's AMD's numbers, I expect any company to make the numbers look better for themselves.

I'm just disappointed that 7950X3D by AMD's own numbers is only 6% faster. Many people were expecting much higher...

Leonidas

Lisu Su had to steal OP's fish at one point.

That or he's a paid shill or a stockholder in competitive companies.

The only other option is mental illness. With the console warriors, that could be an option as well.
What did I say to make you come to this conclusion? I never said anything bad about AMD.

My last CPU was from AMD. I buy products from all companies where it makes sense for me and own no stock in any of these companies.

I'm just trying to be realistic about each product and trying not to overhype which leads to a lot of disappointment in the PC gaming scene.

I think AMD will have fthe fastest gaming CPU, but by AMDs own numbers it is 6%, but realistically (when i9 tier RAM is used for the i9) it will probably be lower than that.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
tbh the fact that the CPUs from both companies are this close and this cheap is a good thing, the market is healthy unlike the GPU market. Nvidia has the best performance and the worst price (and bad Linux support), AMD has worse drivers and features while not dropping the price enough to be a good deal, and Intel doesn't offer any ultra high end option yet.

Meanwhile both CPU manufacturers have amazing CPU performance and great prices. 12400f is ever so slightly less powerful than the 5600x for a lower price (though the 5600x has fallen to 12400f prices now)

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Only hardcore overclockers are going to push memory much higher than that.
The common gamer doesn't know how to tweak impedances and voltages.
Huh? Do you know what XMP is? Practically all gaming motherboards and RAM support it. You don’t “push higher” or “tweak impedances and voltages”. At most you might have to enable XMP in the BIOS.

Now how much difference it’ll make is another question. But to say going over DDR5 6000 is something that only hardcore overclockers do is just complete bullshit. Either you are lying or you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Gonna be finally upgrading my 7700k to a 7950x3D and boy am I gonna be upset if it's not as good an upgrade as I was hoping for. People keep telling me how outdated my CPU is and yet I look at the last 6 years of "progress" and find it really disappointing.

//DEVIL//

Some games do have a big difference though - FF14 Shadowbringers (a very popular game that I play myself) shows a 15% difference (though the game isn't hard to run in the first place). Also, that 13900K is a furnace.
I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews next week.
Eh ? I play cod mw2 at 4k 240 fps monitor . My cpu temp doesn't reach 67 degrees. What furnace ? Benchmark testing is something and gaming is something else. On AMD however , it's 95 degrees as soon as you double click the game icon.

Sorry but Intel got AMD by the balls it's not even funny the beating AMD is a getting in both CPU and GPU.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I want to go with AMD, if they insure that my motherboard will work. I ain't shelling out 500USD+ for it to be just for one CPU. I also want something which won't take 250W.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Better performance.
Better price.
Better compatibility.

High speed high latency is only beneficial for so few workloads i dont even understand why anyone would get them over sweetspot 6000 - 6400 in a lower latency.

And if you are really desperate for higher MTs for that one workload you do, then OC that 6000 kit.....pretty much all the 6000+ kits are actually all the same chips just rated higher to trick suckers people into buying them.
You can literally just look up the SK Hynix ~7000 or whatever spec and enter it, the RAM chips will work.
Whether your MB will handle that speed, is another story all together.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm going with Techspot/HUB on this one.

Faster RAM showed up to an 11% increase in one title, and a 3% increase on average.

If I'm buying the fastest CPU I wouldn't want to knowingly limit its performance.
Right.
Cuz you are realistically gonna know the difference between 231fps and 238fps.

You are also assuming you are CPU bound with a 13900KS?

//DEVIL//

I want to go with AMD, if they insure that my motherboard will work. I ain't shelling out 500USD+ for it to be just for one CPU. I also want something which won't take 250W.
Yeah if you want to fall into the marketing hype. Because when you buy an AMD CPU thinking oh well my motherboard will be fine. for the most part yes, it will boot, if you get the the bios update for it. but performance isn't the same plus many missing stuff that makes you want to upgrade the motherboard anyway.

this is like X370 motherboard paired with 5800x 3d, yeah it will work. but performance-wise? not even close to X570.

So when you buy an AMD or Intel CPU every let's say 4 years? you might as well change the motherboard anyway since you are not gonna get the CPU performance / features that are advertised. if I am not mistaken the X370 doesn't even PCIE 4 lanes :/ or in most don't and that was a high end motherboard in the day.

you either get your self a Z790 now or wait till the new chipset with Z890. and will last you till Z990.

In theory though. You do not upgrade your CPU every 2 years or 3. usually every 4 or so. so by then both motherboard and CPU are not worth much and you will need to change them anyway ( if not more than 4 years )

Myths

I definitely paired my 13900K with a 6000 kit. The returns in kits greater than that are sorely diminishing, but I wouldn’t call 6000 slow by any means. Not to mention some people won’t even get four channels to run which largely depends on the MB too.

Last edited:

Dural

I'm going with Techspot/HUB on this one.

Faster RAM showed up to an 11% increase in one title, and a 3% increase on average.

If I'm buying the fastest CPU I wouldn't want to knowingly limit its performance.

In that article they don't specify what hardware they're using, and only compare 7200 to 6400 and don't mention the latency for the memory or whether they've tweaked it at all. I was talking about 6000 CL30 vs 6800 CL34, as you said it needed to be minimum 6800 for the 13900k.

M1chl

Yeah if you want to fall into the marketing hype. Because when you buy an AMD CPU thinking oh well my motherboard will be fine. for the most part yes, it will boot, if you get the the bios update for it. but performance isn't the same plus many missing stuff that makes you want to upgrade the motherboard anyway.

this is like X370 motherboard paired with 5800x 3d, yeah it will work. but performance-wise? not even close to X570.

So when you buy an AMD or Intel CPU every let's say 4 years? you might as well change the motherboard anyway since you are not gonna get the CPU performance / features that are advertised. if I am not mistaken the X370 doesn't even PCIE 4 lanes :/ or in most don't and that was a high end motherboard in the day.

you either get your self a Z790 now or wait till the new chipset with Z890. and will last you till Z990.

In theory though. You do not upgrade your CPU every 2 years or 3. usually every 4 or so. so by then both motherboard and CPU are not worth much and you will need to change them anyway ( if not more than 4 years )
Does it matter nowadays? Since everything is basically packed into CPU? I mean sure, I will probably lose the ability to have more PCIe links, having some new usb standard and all that shit, but for example I am running now x570 and I upgraded from 3900x to 5950x and it was all fine. That type of upgrade I mean.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it's anything like the 5800X3D, it'll be baller in some use cases and marginal in others, depending on the needs of that particular application/workload.

It either fits your user profile or it doesn't. Who gives a shit about being "the fastest CPU in generalized gaming tasks" that doesn't tell you anything meaningful.

//DEVIL//

Does it matter nowadays? Since everything is basically packed into CPU? I mean sure, I will probably lose the ability to have more PCIe links, having some new usb standard and all that shit, but for example I am running now x570 and I upgraded from 3900x to 5950x and it was all fine. That type of upgrade I mean.
Yes. you have an X570. is the latest AMD motherboard. so you get everything possible for that generation. who knows what is the difference between X670 and X990 going to be. at one point when you are already buying a high end CPU, you will want a high end motherboard with it. when you are already investing, couple of 100s is not gonna make a difference. at least IMO when it comes to PC. like, I will never buy an 5950X and pair it with an old B350 motherboard I used to have ( as an example ). might as well paint my face a clown.

Now I have Z790 with 13900k and 7000 Ram. this build will easily last me 4 years no issues. especially when I am gaming at 4k CPU isn't really the bottleneck but GPU ). but in 4 years time, I am buying new shit. not gonna try and give life support for old parts I have, will just sell them used and cover some costs and move on with life.

M1chl

Yes. you have an X570. is the latest AMD motherboard. so you get everything possible for that generation. who knows what is the difference between X670 and X990 going to be. at one point when you are already buying a high end CPU, you will want a high end motherboard with it. when you are already investing, couple of 100s is not gonna make a difference. at least IMO when it comes to PC. like, I will never buy an 5950X and pair it with an old B350 motherboard I used to have ( as an example ). might as well paint my face a clown.

Now I have Z790 with 13900k and 7000 Ram. this build will easily last me 4 years no issues. especially when I am gaming at 4k CPU isn't really the bottleneck but GPU ). but in 4 years time, I am buying new shit. not gonna try and give life support for old parts I have, will just sell them used and cover some costs and move on with life.
but we didn't get into the point, if the performance actually differs between chipsets

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh ? I play cod mw2 at 4k 240 fps monitor . My cpu temp doesn't reach 67 degrees. What furnace ? Benchmark testing is something and gaming is something else. On AMD however , it's 95 degrees as soon as you double click the game icon.

Sorry but Intel got AMD by the balls it's not even funny the beating AMD is a getting in both CPU and GPU.
What cpu cooler do you use? I still haven't decide which route to go when I eventually upgrade.

Leonidas

If it's faster than the 13900KS at a lower cost and a fraction of the power consumption then they have a winning product.
Still over $100 more than the 13900K though. 7800X3D seems the most interesting IMO as that could be nearly as fast as the 7950X3D and much cheaper. Too bad we gotta wait till April...

//DEVIL//

What cpu cooler do you use? I still haven't decide which route to go when I eventually upgrade.
corsair elite 360. you can get the lian li one too. both are awesome. the only reason I used corsair is because I have also the LCD screen on the side So I can install it on top of the cooler. but both will perform about the same. but for the I9 you will need a 360 cooler or bigger ( if your case allow it )

//DEVIL//

but we didn't get into the point, if the performance actually differs between chipsets
True but think about it. they want to sell you the newer board. what do you think they will do ? just rename it to X770 or X870 ? if history repeats it self ( and it always kinda does ) there will be chipset performance differences.

M1chl

True but think about it. they want to sell you the newer board. what do you think they will do ? just rename it to X770 or X870 ? if history repeats it self ( and it always kinda does ) there will be chipset performance differences.
Well the chipset does fuck all, at least with AMD CPUs. Well if you need more shit like more PCIe links, USB, SATA, networking, then obviously yeah. But basically just if the board will last at least 2nd of CPU. Also swapping mainboard is too much work : D

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Still over $100 more than the 13900K though. 7800X3D seems the most interesting IMO as that could be nearly as fast as the 7950X3D and much cheaper. Too bad we gotta wait till April...

Top-end products don't scale linearly in price/performance ratio. AMD's top offering is cheaper, faster and consumes less power than Intel's top offering. AMD doesn't need anything else to justify their price.

Leonidas

Top-end products don't scale linearly in price/performance ratio. AMD's top offering is cheaper, faster and consumes less power than Intel's top offering. AMD doesn't need anything else to justify their price.
I'll be more impressed by a $450 CPU beating a $560 CPU than a $700 CPU beating a $560 CPU.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna be finally upgrading my 7700k to a 7950x3D and boy am I gonna be upset if it's not as good an upgrade as I was hoping for. People keep telling me how outdated my CPU is and yet I look at the last 6 years of "progress" and find it really disappointing.
I am probably the least biased person when it comes to this kind of stuff so trust me when I tell you that is going to be at large jump especially with the extra cores and all the little things that AMD has been doing.

Just like I would have told you maybe like 3 or 4 years ago before AMD really got their act together, I would have always recommended Intel regardless of price. That is where the performance was for the enthusiast. Today we just happen to have better competition which is good for all of us but AMD has good equity with me now until they start breaking that I don't feel like I need to deviate that much which is why I'm getting the 7900x3D myself.

kiphalfton

^ Crazy times when Intel is leading price to performance in just about every tier.

AMD got too cocky. Same thing with their GPU's

Which is weird since they should have an inferiority complex if anything, all things considered.

I think it's time they realize "they're not that great".

Chiggs

It's to remove the GPU bottleneck to greater show the differences in CPU's/RAM speeds. Damn man this is elementary stuff.

And it also highlights how fucking worthless these benchmarks are because A) very few people care about 1080P and B) when you get to a certain resolution, Intel and AMD become virtually indistinguishable from each other, and it's really about the GPU.

Anyone buying an AMD or Intel CPU because of 1080P gaming benchmarks are the ones who are really confused.

I think it's time they realize "they're not that great".

Well, when your main competition is Intel, it's easy to get complacent. Intel was saying the same thing about AMD 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Leonidas

What is your monitor refresh rate, and what games are you struggling to run today?

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The 7800X3D is the one to get, single ccd with 3D cache, for gaming you won't get any benefit from more cores but will get all the benefits of the extra cache.
Pair it with some low latency 5600/6000Mhz memory and you're set for years.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Well the chipset does fuck all, at least with AMD CPUs. Well if you need more shit like more PCIe links, USB, SATA, networking, then obviously yeah. But basically just if the board will last at least 2nd of CPU. Also swapping mainboard is too much work : D
First of all this is called lazy lol. Part of the enjoyment of PC master race is building one

Also what do you mean MB does fuck all ? You can't go higher than 6000 ram on this board. Watch next gen boards go up to 7600 or so.

My z790 I am running 7000 ram on it. The z690 max was 6600 ? Or 6400 ? I don't remember .

There always new things with new boards that makes you think ( eh I'll just buy the new one and recoup some money from selling old stuff )

Anyway to each his own I guess

//DEVIL//

The 7800X3D is the one to get, single ccd with 3D cache, for gaming you won't get any benefit from more cores but will get all the benefits of the extra cache.
Pair it with some low latency 5600/6000Mhz memory and you're set for years.
If the performance leak is any indication. One is better off with something like the i9 13900k where he will get the cores and the performance. Especially when the performance is nothing to talk about at full HD even . Let alone 2k and 4k

DaGwaphics

It's mental the amount of watts these cpus are using.

We're getting close to 400w no?

You don't need to use that much wattage though, not if you are just gaming. I watched a video the other day where they locked the Intel 12000 series chips to just a 65w max, and in a lot of cases the results were within 5% of the full boost (in regards to fps while gaming).

Last edited:

M1chl

First of all this is called lazy lol. Part of the enjoyment of PC master race is building one

Also what do you mean MB does fuck all ? You can't go higher than 6000 ram on this board. Watch next gen boards go up to 7600 or so.

My z790 I am running 7000 ram on it. The z690 max was 6600 ? Or 6400 ? I don't remember .

There always new things with new boards that makes you think ( eh I'll just buy the new one and recoup some money from selling old stuff )

Anyway to each his own I guess
Downtime for me is important, I am thinking for making more PCs which would run 24/7, so it is not laziness to swap up whole build takes some time, which I might/might not have.

You are right tho, in a sense, that you won't get the full experience of building fresh new PC, which takes me back to my childhood.

We will see, but I need something fast, which would be powerfull and not brake my energy bill...and also don't heat my work room too much : D

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Buying a 13900K and pairing it with DDR5 6000 makes no sense, unless you're AMD and doing an "apples to apples" comparison because that is the suite spot for Ryzen 7000.

On Intel platforms most gamers do go above spec, and it's always been that way.

No one in their right mind bought an 10900K and paired it with 2933... even 3200 (which was faster than the 10900K spec) was slow back then... in the same way no one should buy a 13900K/KS and pair it with slow DDR5 6000.

I have an i9-13900k paired with 64GB (2x32GB) of DDR5-6000-CL30 RAM. This RAM has lower latency, which is great, and it keeps me within a few FPS of the highest speed RAM for far less money.

Your broad, sweeping claims are ridiculous. I don't know if you're just ignorant to the technology, or if you're an elitist pushing an elitist ideology. Either way, comments like this show that you're out of touch with the subject matter and your audience.

Top Bottom