• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i9-14900K is 2% faster on average than Ryzen 9 7950X3D

winjer

Gold Member

HXL has shared an Intel slide with Chinese text that is under embargo until October 16th at 21:00 (likely Chinese time). This slide confirms the announcement date for Intel’s new desktop CPU series, referred to as Raptor Lake Refresh or the 14th Gen Core series. The primary focus of this announcement is the upcoming 24-core flagship CPU, the Core i9-14900K.

The slide showcases gaming performance, comparing the Core i9-14900K with AMD’s high-end AM5 CPU, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. The Ryzen 9 7950X3D boasts 3D V-Cache technology, significantly enhancing its gaming performance. It is currently one of the best gaming CPUs on the market, right beside’s Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 8 Zen4 cores.

According to the information presented in the slide, the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D outperforms the Core i9-14900K in at least 9 out of 25 tested games. On the other hand, the Core i9-14900K demonstrates superior performance in at least 15 of the remaining titles, with one game showing a tie between both CPUs.

2S4KKv8.jpg

• DOTA 2: 77%
  • Fortnite: 82%
  • Cyberpunk 2077: 89%
  • League of Legends: 94%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: 94%
  • Final Fantasy 14: 95%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: 96%
  • Forza Horizon 5: 98%
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: 99%
  • Galaxy Breaker: 99%
  • Company of Heroes 3: 100%
  • Far Cry 6: 103%
  • Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord: 103%
  • COD: MW2: 103%
  • GTA5: 105%
  • Hitman 3: 106%
  • Rainbow Six Siege: 107%
  • World of Tanks Encore RT: 108%
  • Serious Sam 4: 108%
  • Civilization 6: 109%
  • Counter Strike Global Offensive: 114%
  • Ashes of the Singularity: 115%
  • Total War Warhammer 3: 122%
  • Starfield: 123%
  • Metro Exodus: 123%
  • AVERAGE: 102%

And for comparison, here is the average result from Techpowerup, with the 7950X3D, 13900KK, 7800X3D and several others.
R3G7MVb.png

Draugoth

Gold Member
Doesnt the 14900K has more cores and threads? Doesnt that makes it better than the 7950X3D for unoptmized games?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yes. Otherwise we are benchmarking the GPU. Not the CPU.
This is the funny thing about CPU reviews. Nobody buys a $500+ CPU and a 4090 to game at 1080p. But if you benchmark them at settings gamers would actually use (I.e. 4K high quality) then every $350+ CPU is within a couple % of each other.

Anything above 13700K/7800X3D only makes sense if you use your PC for other CPU-intensive stuff in addition to gaming.

Bojji

This is the funny thing about CPU reviews. Nobody buys a $500+ CPU and a 4090 to game at 1080p. But if you benchmark them at settings gamers would actually use (I.e. 4K high quality) then every $350+ CPU is within a couple % of each other.

Anything above 13700K/7800X3D only makes sense if you use your PC for other CPU-intensive stuff in addition to gaming.

What they say is that this is how those CPUs perform compared to reach other in CPU heavy scenarios, future games could show that even in 4k and 1440p. There are games RIGHT NOW that can easily CPU linit your system in 1440p (with strong enogh GPU).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I have mentioned this before I have a friend who plays shooters almost exclusively and has a monster PC with a 4090 and plays on a 1080p monitor either 27" or 24" at 360fps and claims he will be getting one of the 500+ FPS monitors soon

To each their own I guess

nikos

I don't regret upgrading to a 7800X3D last month. Never thought I'd say that.

Still curious to see 14th gen numbers. I'm sure it will at least be faster at a lot of things outside of gaming, which I don't care about.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just goes to show that unless you're just some blind fanboy, AMD is the way to go for perf and thermals.

I was Intel for 10+years. I yield to perf too but not at the cost of that wattage.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Concern trolling about heat is tiresome. Intel chips are designed to run hotter. They can do it without throttling and their chips work fine with a normal air cooler.

TDP matters in laptops but I also don't get why anyone would care in a desktop, unless you are running a render farm.

SF Kosmo

For gaming, 7800x3d is still the best then ?
Depends on the game. Some games really like that 3D cache and others don't have much benefit. Games that are well optimized for multithreading are also generally faster in Intel. Starfield and Cyberpunk are way faster on Intel.

Don't listen to fanboys, the CPU field is super competitive right now, which is good for everyone.

Solidus_T

For gaming, 7800x3d is still the best then ?
Overall, yes. While it still dukes with other parts for the top spot, it will draw significantly less power compared to other parts that compete with it in performance, which also means it is easier to cool. If you are primarily gaming with your computer this is the best choice.

winjer

Gold Member
Depends on the game. Some games really like that 3D cache and others don't have much benefit. Games that are well optimized for multithreading are also generally faster in Intel. Starfield and Cyberpunk are way faster on Intel.

Don't listen to fanboys, the CPU field is super competitive right now, which is good for everyone.

On average, the 7800X3D is still the best performing CPU on the market. Not by a huge margin, but it's still the best.
But if we also consider power usage and platform longevity, then it becomes the best by a huge advantage.
The 13900K uses almost 3X more power than a 7800X3D. In gaming.

R3G7MVb.png

power-games.png

Last edited:

Tsaki

2% by first party testing? Yeah not a good look. I want to see the power draw on that thing as well.

winjer

Gold Member
2% by first party testing? Yeah not a good look. I want to see the power draw on that thing as well.

This is from the guru3d review of the 13900K, after an OC to 6.1Ghz.

As with all processors, you still have a bit of leash to overclock. With proper liquid cooling (an LCS kit with enough capacity), the easiest way to overclock is to select all cores towards your maximum multiplier. With these temps at hand, we advise the voltage regulated by the motherboard (auto). For Core i9-13900K, this seems to be in the 6100~6200 MHz areas, again that's all P cores. But that value is of course very impressive, we OCed to 6100 and can run a benchmark or two stable. However, as you can see, we now hit 100 Degrees C. Bit look at that single thread score, omg. Be advised that at this stage we're passing 450~500Watt power draw under processor load.

SF Kosmo

On average, the 7800X3D is still the best performing CPU on the market. Not by a huge margin, but it's still the best.
On average, sure, but it's not definitive, and it depends a bit in what you want to run, and they're very close in general. And that's when we're talking about 13th gen. 14900k may eke out a better showing more consistently, so a lot of it is going to come down to price and value.

But if we also consider power usage and platform longevity, then it becomes the best by a huge advantage.
The 13900K uses almost 3X more power than a 7800X3D. In gaming.
We're talking about desktop gaming processors, "power usage" is just a completely irrelevant thing to bring up. TDP only matters in laptops or workstations that are running heavy shit 24/7. Otherwise we're talking about 30 cents a month on your power bill and let's just not waste our time on that.

Platform longevity is absolutely a selling point for AMD, especially when we're talking about these new 14th gen Intels. It's always a bit of a gamble just how long, but AMD is at the start of a cycle and Intel is at the end.

But for "gaming performance king" I think there's an argument for either and it's a very competitive field.

winjer

Gold Member
On average, sure, but it's not definitive, and it depends a bit in what you want to run, and they're very close in general. And that's when we're talking about 13th gen. 14900k may eke out a better showing more consistently, so a lot of it is going to come down to price and value.

The 7800X3D is already being sold for 349$
The 14900K is already listed in some stores for 560£

So the 7800X3D is much cheaper. Performs better. And uses much less power.

We're talking about desktop gaming processors, "power usage" is just a completely irrelevant thing to bring up. TDP only matters in laptops or workstations that are running heavy shit 24/7. Otherwise we're talking about 30 cents a month on your power bill and let's just not waste our time on that.

Platform longevity is absolutely a selling point for AMD, especially when we're talking about these new 14th gen Intels. It's always a bit of a gamble just how long, but AMD is at the start of a cycle and Intel is at the end.

But for "gaming performance king" I think there's an argument for either and it's a very competitive field.

Power usage is still important for desktops. For once, it means less cost in energy usage.
A cooler CPU also means you don't have to spend as much in a cooling system for it, the case and fans.
It also means it heats up the room much less. So it also saves in the AC bill.
And it also means we don't have to spend more money in a more powerful PSU.

So for a gaming system, the 7800X3D is by far, the best choice.

Solidus_T

The 7800X3D is already being sold for 349$
The 14900K is already listed in some stores for 560£

So the 7800X3D is much cheaper. Performs better. And uses much less power.

Power usage is still important for desktops. For once, it means less cost in energy usage.
A cooler CPU also means you don't have to spend as much in a cooling system for it, the case and fans.

Emphasizing everything in this post. The 7800X3D is outperforming CPUs from both Intel and AMD themselves that consume much more power, meaning that you don't need as hefty of a cooling solution for it. It is similar to what happened with the first release of Ryzen 7000 non 3D and Intel 13th gen, where the 5800X3D was outperforming both of those while drawing around 1/3rd the power. Overall the 8 core single CCD X3D chips are the best for people focused primarily on gaming.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Emphasizing everything in this post. The 7800X3D is outperforming CPUs from both Intel and AMD themselves that consume much more power, meaning that you don't need as hefty of a cooling solution for it. It is similar to what happened with the first release of Ryzen 7000 non 3D and Intel 13th gen, where the 5800X3D was outperforming both of those while drawing around 1/3rd the power. Overall the 8 core single CCD X3D chips are the best for people focused primarily on gaming.
Agreed, if you’re building a high-end gaming system today you’d be nuts to get anything except 7800X3D (and I’m saying this as a happy 13700k owner). It doesn’t win in every single scenario but it’s at or near the top in most of them. If you factor in price and power consumption then it blows away everything else.

Not to mention AM5 platform will likely be supported for at least 2-3 more CPU generations whereas Intel 14000 series is the last hurrah for LGA1700

SF Kosmo

Come on, man, this is beyond negligible.
Complete myth. Intel CPUs don't require more cooling, because they have higher thermal limits and are designed to run hotter. They don't need to be cooled to the same temperature as an equivalent AMD chip, so they don't require additional cooling.
Again, utterly negligible. Your GPU is going to be kicking out most of the heat in either scenario.

A difference of 50W in the PSU? I mean, sure? Again, who cares?

I think there's a fine argument to be had for the 7800x3D as the best choice for gaming, but you really undermine that argument when you bring up silly nonsense and add phrases like "by far" that are simply untrue.

AMD has some advantages, a longer platform life with AM5, and better performance per dollar. But this idea that Intel chips are gonna heat up your house and require water cooling and run up your power bill are just ridiculous.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Intel chips do run hotter and consume more power, but they also tend to be cheaper these days compared to AMD, especially on the mobo side. It's fun to engage in Intel bashing but they still have a market.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Complete myth. Intel CPUs don't require more cooling, because they have higher thermal limits and are designed to run hotter. They don't need to be cooled to the same temperature as an equivalent AMD chip, so they don't require additional cooling.

Again, utterly negligible. Your GPU is going to be kicking out most of the heat in either scenario.

I think there's a fine argument to be had for the 7800x3D as the best choice for gaming, but you really undermine that argument when you bring up silly nonsense and add phrases like "by far" that are simply untrue.

AMD has some advantages, a longer platform life with AM5, and better performance per dollar. But this idea that Intel chips are gonna heat up your house and require water cooling and run up your power bill are just ridiculous.
Agree with some of your points, but temperature isn’t the same thing as heat. If your CPU consumes 250w then your cooler needs to transport 250w of heat away from the CPU, it’s that simple. Less heat to remove = you can run your fans cooler/quieter or get by with a cheaper cooler. Intel even recommends at least a 240mm AIO for 13900K

Porticus

Today I didn't read a post so delusional as yours.

peish

Intel core power is from overclocking all P cores and overclocking the ram.

doing so, will beat 7950x3d with a big gap.

Three

Concern trolling about heat is tiresome. Intel chips are designed to run hotter. They can do it without throttling and their chips work fine with a normal air cooler.

TDP matters in laptops but I also don't get why anyone would care in a desktop, unless you are running a render farm.
They aren't designed to run hotter, they're just less efficient. Sure they are designed to not get damaged or spontaneously combust but the chips have greater power draw and more heat output for little to no performance gain. That's not something beneficial even if you aren't running a render farm or carrying a laptop around.

Top Bottom