• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D review thread

winjer

Gold Member

average-fps-1920-1080.png

Last edited:
Finally!

Might get myself a 7950X3D :D

edit: maybe not. if those simulated 7800X3D results end up being true then that CPU is going to be insane!

Last edited:
Efficient but the performance is barely on par with the 13900K?

Come on AMD...

The performance is couple percent ahead or behind depending on the review site you use. Main thing is it only needs 1/3rd of the power sometimes to achieve that which is pretty shocking.

Unfortunately I gotta call out fellow AMD fanboy MLID who once again sort of created wholly unrealistic expectations of these 'destroying' the 13900K by 10-15% when the killer app of these 3D parts is the tremendous efficiency.

Buggy Loop

Unfortunately I gotta call out fellow AMD fanboy MLID who once again sort of created wholly unrealistic expectations of these 'destroying' the 13900K by 10-15% when the killer app of these 3D parts is the tremendous efficiency.

Some things never change..

MLID has a dedicated Reddit sub for all the wrong speculations. Most often he deletes videos that he’s wrong though, sleazy as fuck.

Chiggs

Efficient but the performance is barely on par with the 13900K?

Come on AMD...

I mean, what else is there? We're at the tail end of x86. I'm sure AMD could double the wattage and get some more wins, but what's the point? It's matching or exceeding Intel where it counts.

Given how close these chips are, I literally don't even know what the fuck people are even arguing about anymore. I guess some people like more electricity and some people don't?

And kudos to Anandtech for doing 1440p and 4k tests--you know the resolutions that gamers actually game at, which also shows just how dumb arguing about this shit is.

1440P
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18747/the-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/9

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1874...0x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/10

"MY CPU IS BETTER THAN YOUR CPU IN 1080P, EVEN THOUGH I GAME AT 4K!" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

FmEmRyI.png

l089s9f.png

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The results for the power consumption are really impressive. Gives AMD a solid claim to the "best gaming CPU crown" even if they do lose out on a few titles.

This will probably be one of those processors that looks like a much better deal once the price drops a bit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I like what I see enough. Especially those power numbers. I can feel ambient heat with how close I sit to my PC and am glad this one runs blazing fast and uses less power.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm... at first I was thinking why would gamers buy this when the 7800X3D will exist but then Steve has a good point about the 7800X3D only having a max boost clock of 5ghz vs 5.7ghz on this 7950X3D.
I like the fact that the 13900k doesn't have to deal with any of this turning off half of the cores and making sure you're on the right CCX, but then again the efficiency of this chip is fantastic.

Imtjnotu

The results for the power consumption are really impressive. Gives AMD a solid claim to the "best gaming CPU crown" even if they do lose out on a few titles.

This will probably be one of those processors that looks like a much better deal once the price drops a bit.
if i ever see it for $500 its a wrap

StereoVsn

Now, can 7800xd make Paradox Grand Strategy games run at reliable frame rates halfway into the playthrough, that's the question, lol.

I am thinking 7800x3d is in my future. Although lack of OC and limiting core speed is pretty iffy move by AMD.

Zug

This cache thing is yummy for gaming, my 5800x3D eats eveything I throw at it. I wonder if they could add some 3D cache on consoles APUs.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's not just the price but the added heat these chips put out would be difficult for a console form factor to contain.

There's a reason why AMD recommend AIO coolers for these chips.
Link to where AMD recommends AIO coolers?

Leonidas

I mean, what else is there? We're at the tail end of x86. I'm sure AMD could double the wattage and get some more wins, but what's the point? It's matching or exceeding Intel where it counts.

Given how close these chips are, I literally don't even know what the fuck people are even arguing about anymore. I guess some people like more electricity and some people don't?

And kudos to Anandtech for doing 1440p and 4k tests--you know the resolutions that gamers actually game at, which also shows just how dumb arguing about this shit is.

1440P
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18747/the-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/9

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1874...0x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/10

"MY CPU IS BETTER THAN YOUR CPU IN 1080P, EVEN THOUGH I GAME AT 4K!" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

FmEmRyI.png

l089s9f.png
Average FPS doesn't show the whole picture. The 4K graphs that matter are minimum FPS (1% lows).

minimum-fps-3840-2160.png

7950X3D is losing to 13900K and 13700K, and ties the 13600K when looking at 4K 1% lows with an RTX 4090.

13600K is a beast :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I just upgraded my 8700K to the AMD 7700 since I game at 4K I hoped that I wouldn't be too disappointed for not waiting on the x3d chips. After looking at the results I think I made the right choice. There is improvement but not sure it's worth $400 extra.

Chiggs

Average FPS doesn't show the whole picture. The 4K graphs that matter are minimum FPS (1% lows).

7950X3D is losing to 13900K and 13700K, and ties the 13600K when looking at 4K 1% lows with an RTX 4090.

God bless you, man...but I think you missed the point.

Intel and AMD's offerings are both so good, that this kind of stuff is barely worth the discussion. Phil Spencer: The x86 CPU war is over! :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I don't care about the power draw ( or maybe I do because of temps ) but I find zero logic to sell and switch to AMD. Aside from the always driver/ bios issues they have. The performance is on level with 13900k ( which I have ), sure at higher temps from my Intel processor but nothing worth trading or buying .

I do prefer Intel anyway over AMD anyway because it also has a better resale value. ( At least where I live )

Chiggs

I don't care about the power draw ( or maybe I do because of temps ) but I find zero logic to sell and switch to AMD. Aside from the always driver/ bios issues they have. The performance is on level with 13900k ( which I have ), sure at higher temps from my Intel processor but nothing worth trading or buying .

I do prefer Intel anyway over AMD anyway because it also has a better resale value. ( At least where I live )

For desktop gamers, the parity is such that there's really no reason for you to. At this point:

AMD
  • You want lower power draw and desire performance advantages in certain applications.
  • You want to invest in a platform that will provide clear upgrade paths.

Intel
  • You can deal with the higher power draw and desire performance advantages in certain applications.
  • Cost/bang for buck is a factor.
  • Perhaps less bugs to work out, due to Intel's platform dominance for years and years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom