• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Announces Ryzen 7800X3D, 7900X3D and 7950X3D: February 2023 launch.

Leonidas

ddUjJzH.png

Price TBD

For the Ryzen 9 SKUs only one of the two Chiplets feature the 3D V Cache

FingerBang

Ok, now we're talking. AMD easily taking the gaming crown from Intel with these...

...unless they go full retard with their pricing and let's be honest, they will.

Skifi28

Kinda feels like they scammed the people that bought the regular CPUs. There's always something better coming, but they should really have launched with these seeing how underwhelming the original models were. Now a few months later, "sorry, these are the actually good ones".

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Kinda feels like they scammed the people that bought the regular CPUs. There's always something better coming, but they should really have launched with these seeing how underwhelming the original models were. Now a few months later, "sorry, these are the actually good ones".

Sorry, but that is just non-sense.
Even before Zen4 launched, people were already expecting the 3DV cache parts.
At the time Zen4 was launched, I was already posting leaks that the 3DV cache parts would launch in early 2023.
No one was scammed. Everyone knew these were coming.

But the thing is, the normal 7000 CPUs are still great gaming CPUs, delivering top performance, today. And they are cheaper than the 3Dv cache parts.
The 7800X3D might be 20-30% faster than the 7700X. But it will also be 20-30% more expensive.

Skifi28

Sorry, but that is just non-sense.
Even before Zen4 launched, people were already expecting the 3DV cache parts.
At the time Zen4 was launched, I was already posting leaks that the 3DV cache parts would launch in early 2023.
No one was scammed. Everyone knew these were coming.
You and me sure did, but it's not like all CPU buyers follow rumours and leaks online. I think we're getting used to companies pulling fast ones on us to the point it doesn't even register anymore.

But the thing is, the normal 7000 CPUs are still great gaming CPUs, delivering top performance, today. And they are cheaper than the 3Dv cache parts.
The 7800X3D might be 20-30% faster than the 7700X. But it will also be 20-30% more expensive.
They're fine, but it would be even better if they were both out at the same time or at least officially announced and people had the option to choose the one they prefer.

winjer

Gold Member
You and me sure did, but it's not like all CPU buyers follow rumours and leaks online. I think we're getting used to companies pulling fast ones on us to the point it doesn't even register anymore.

Companies are constantly delivering new products. Having a new, faster CPU or GPU is not something that AMD just made up.
Intel just did the same, with the 13900KS.

There is the fallacy with some consumers, that they should wait for the next big thing.
But the problem with that line of thought, is that there is always a next big thing. So if someone is set on that strategy, then they'll be waiting forever.
The other problem is that these new CPUs will be more expensive. So people probably wound prefer to buy something cheaper.
Just look at Zen3 vs Zen4 sales. Zen3 is currently outselling Zen4, by 1:6. Despite Zen4 being faster.
But Zen3 is still a great CPU and the whole platform cost is much cheaper.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Running that 5800X3D right here since a few months, coming from a 3700X. Best upgrade i did.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They also mentioned laptop parts, including gpus.

Beware, it seems they're being tricky and some of the laptop parts for next year appear to be rebadged older parts.

Tarnpanzer

Do I get this right:

Both the 7950X3D and the 7900X3D each have two chiplets. But only one chiplet has access to V-cache? So for the 7900X3D only 6 out of 12 cores can use V-cache?

Last edited:

Xyphie

Do I get this right:

Both the 7950X3D and the 7900X3D each have two chiplets. But only one chiplet has access to V-cache? So for the 7900X3D only 6 out of 12 cores can use V-cache?

That's correct. Explains the higher boost clocks of the 2 CCD models aswell, it's the non-X3D chiplet that reaches those while the X3D-cache chiplet only gets ~5GHz.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

That's correct. Explains the higher boost clocks of the 2 CCD models aswell, it's the non-X3D chiplet that reaches those while the X3D-cache chiplet only gets ~5GHz.

And how does f.e. the specific game know, which is better:* using the chiplet that has V-cache vs. the chiplet that has a higher clock-speed. (or both)

*in terms of max performance

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Everyone and their mother was expecting 3D variants. And the regular CPUs are great for gaming.

Xyphie

And how does f.e. the specific game know, which is better:* using the chiplet that has V-cache vs. the chiplet that has a higher clock-speed. (or both)

*in terms of max performance

Trying to make which the preferred CCD is task-dependant (X3D for games, non-X3D for productivity) seems like a OS scheduling disaster in the making for sure. Probably best to always prefer the X3D-chiplet.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

These prices are gonna be real hot. I'm thinking they're waiting to see what Intel prices the 13900KS sku. Looks good, but that gap closed a bit against the 13900K. Gonna shrink a little more with the KS which should be like, 5% better than the OG model. AMD's problem has always been their motherboard prices with AM5. That's the biggest reason the product hasn't sold as well. Fuck I look like spending $300 on a B series board when I can buy an X series "EXTREME" board for the same price? Just goofy.

Ev1L AuRoN

No 7600X3D... After the embarrassing showing against the i5 13600 I was hoping AMD would give the R5 some love.

i just returned my 7700X. i knew these 3D cpus were coming but my plan was to sell the 7700X and swap it out with a 3D one. my motherboard was fault so thought fuck it just send everything back.

once my money is back and these CPUs are out i'll buy new parts again. gonna get that 7800X3D or maybe even the 7900X3D.

surprised at the 120W TDP across them all.

Based on how my 5800x3d ran out of the box I don't think it's just the prices that will be hot.
these CPUs are designed to run at 95C constantly under heavy loads. during gaming of course temperatures will be lower but if you run 95C 24/7 it'll be fine. it's how AMD designed them to get the max performance from them. it's hard to get your head around because 95C is sure hot but it's normal. you could stick the best AIO on it or build a custom loop and it will still go to 95C. cooling for these CPUs doesn't mean lower temperatures it means they can boost higher.

you run one with a basic cheap cooler it'll hit 95C and maybe hit 5.1GHz (let's say it's advertised to boost up to 5.6GHz). stick a Noctua NH-D15, arguably the best air cooler, and it'll hit 95C but maybe do 5.3GHz. stick an AIO on it'll still be 95C but could hit 5.6GHz.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Anyone want to buy my 7950x lol
stick it up on ebay or maybe there is a store near you that buys second hand electronics. here we have C.E.X (Complete Entertainment eXchange) and i've sold some CPU/GPUS or RAM to them over the years when i can't be arsed dealing with eBay.

i just sold my 2080 on eBay and after fees/postage i got about £260. C.E.X were paying £187 so i made the right choice going with ebay but sometimes they do offer a decent price and you'll likely get the same selling on eBay.

while the 7950X doesn't seem good value now i'm sure someone out there would be more than happy to buy it from you. also, this might be shady, but if you stick it up on ebay now you might get someone buying it without knowing about the new 7950X3D and will pay a good price for it. of course there is the risk they regret it and send it back lol.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
stick it up on ebay or maybe there is a store near you that buys second hand electronics. here we have C.E.X (Complete Entertainment eXchange) and i've sold some CPU/GPUS or RAM to them over the years when i can't be arsed dealing with eBay.

i just sold my 2080 on eBay and after fees/postage i got about £260. C.E.X were paying £187 so i made the right choice going with ebay but sometimes they do offer a decent price and you'll likely get the same selling on eBay.

while the 7950X doesn't seem good value now i'm sure someone out there would be more than happy to buy it from you. also, this might be shady, but if you stick it up on ebay now you might get someone buying it without knowing about the new 7950X3D and will pay a good price for it. of course there is the risk they regret it and send it back lol.
I’m joking I won’t upgrade this time 😂

GreatnessRD

Based on how my 5800x3d ran out of the box I don't think it's just the prices that will be hot.
Haha, I know what you mean. My idle temps on the 5800X3D hovers around 38-44c. When gaming on Apex, that boy gets toasty to 74c. (But that's not bad considering I'm using a Pure Rock 2 cooler with an extra fan attached)

I’m joking I won’t upgrade this time 😂
ah alright :)

anyway it's not like the 7950X is a bad CPU. that thing will destroy games and workloads for years yet. with any technology there is always something new around the corner so best not worrying about it. as long as you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

Haha, I know what you mean. My idle temps on the 5800X3D hovers around 38-44c. When gaming on Apex, that boy gets toasty to 74c. (But that's not bad considering I'm using a Pure Rock 2 cooler with an extra fan attached)
those temperatures aren't bad to be honest.

i remember i had a 3700X and it was doing 35-55C idle. can't remember gaming temps.

i hardly got to use my 7700X so don't really know what the temperatures were like. i don't know if it was accurate but the BIOS was saying it was running at 28C (running the bios) and that's with a bequiet dark rock pro 4 cooler.

Last edited:

GHG

Yep mine comfortably ran up to the mid 80's and idled in the low 40's when I first got it and that's on a 240mm AIO which had no trouble keeping a 3900x cool.

A few tweaks (undervolt and slight power limit) via PBO2 solved everything though. Now getting idle of 35 and max temps in the mid 70's. My performance has actually increased as a result.

Tams

They also mentioned laptop parts, including gpus.

Beware, it seems they're being tricky and some of the laptop parts for next year appear to be rebadged older parts.

Eh, I wouldn't call it tricky. I mean sure, some people who aren't able to do basic research might be 'tricked' into thinking they are getting something similar, but then again those same people likely won't care what generation of architecture the APU is - only that it does what they want (and even Zen 2 can do that).

It's quite easy. If the third digit is a 4, then it uses Zen 4. If it's a 3, it uses Zen 3 or 3+. If it's a 2, it uses Zen 2.

Now, if they keep that naming scheme for when Zen 5 is around, the numbers won't align, but the higher numbers will still mean a newer APU architecture. And yes, the iGPUs are a mix, but they make sense if you think about it.

Here's the chart that's pretty clear:

Overview-architecture.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom