• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 7000 3D Price and Release Date announced

FingerBang

IrX55WY4G9pO.png

February 28th for Ryzen 9
7900X3D $599
7950X3D $699

April 6th for Ryzen 5
7800X3D $449

Can't wait!

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Surprisingly conservative pricing....obviously will be discounted by October/November.

So $400 dollars maybe even less for the 7800X3D by the time RaptorLake-SR hits.
Hopefully it performs super admirably and forces the RaptorLake-SR to come out at an even lower price point.
350 or less dollars for a 14700 sounds like an absolute treat.

Shame no 7600X3D....cuz that really would be a beast of a card.

FingerBang

Surprisingly conservative pricing....obviously will be discounted by October/November.

So $400 dollars maybe even less for the 7800X3D by the time RaptorLake-SR hits.
Hopefully it performs super admirably and forces the RaptorLake-SR to come out at an even lower price point.
350 or less dollars for a 14700 sounds like an absolute treat.

Shame no 7600X3D....cuz that really would be a beast of a card.
It will really depend on the performance. If the 5800X3D wasn't a one off and these chips offer a similar jump, I don't see Intel being able to compete easily.
But also, AMD will definitely try to keep some distance in pricing between the base versions and the X3D and that might prevent the prices from going down too much.

I think a x600X3D will only happen if AMD decides to make all of their chips 3D. It might not make sense commercially and might cannibalize the sales of both 7600X and 7700X.

I'm curious to see what the difference in performance between the 7800X3D and the 7900X3D will be. A ton more cache, and almost 1GHz faster. I expect it to be the absolute king for a long time.

winjer

Weird that 7800x3d debuts so late.

It's a new process node for AMD, with N5. Both for CPUs and for 3DV cache. It's not just a matter of pasting some 3DV cache from the 5800X3D, because that was in N7.
So it is necessary to redraw the whole cache for the N5 specs.
It also has a brand new voltage regulator, for the 3DV cache. So that takes some time developing.
And it probably also needs some new adjustments to placing that cache on top of the CPU, since now the transistors are even smaller with the N5 node.

Last edited:
7900X3D $599
7950X3D $699

Only $100 more for the 7950 to get 16 cores over 12? That seems worth it.

I am looking to upgrade as my current CPU is on the original I7920 X58 platform and I can’t even launch half the games coming out now over lack of AVX2 instructions. I obviously hang onto my CPU’s for as long as possible so I will buy the 7950X3D to get the most life out of it.

Do any PC games even take advantage of that many cores now though?

Last edited:
Not really. If you only want the CPU for games, get the 7800X3D.

I don’t upgrade my CPU often though. I have hung onto my x58 platform since 2008. I did upgrade around 2010 to a Xeon X5655 I got off Ebay for like $30 but that was an easy swap as it was not an entire platform upgrade.

With a history of hanging onto CPU’s for over a decade, would you say more cores now will be useful down the road so I don’t have to bother upgrading everything?

Admerer

Does anyone know how the CCDs are split in the 7900x?
If it's 6+6 than only 6 cores will have 3d cache, if it's 8+4 than the 8 core CCD will have 3d cache.
If it's the latter than 7900x3d is good alternative to 7800x3d, if it's the former the 7800x3d might be better in some games?

Black_Stride

Does anyone know how the CCDs are split in the 7900x?
If it's 6+6 than only 6 cores will have 3d cache, if it's 8+4 than the 8 core CCD will have 3d cache.
If it's the latter than 7900x3d is good alternative to 7800x3d, if it's the former the 7800x3d might be better in some games?
Its almost certainly 6 + 6.
If it was 8 + 4 that would require a perfectly binned CCD.....now why waste a perfectly good CCD on the 7900X when you can use it in the 7800X or 7950X.
The 7900X has always been the runt of the litter cuz getting perfect bins for it just isnt worth the effort really.
If you have a really good 6 core CCD, put it in the 7600X, if you have a really good 8 core CCD put it in the 7800X or 7950X.
Im kinda shocked they even bothered making a 7900X3D over making a 7600X3D.

P.S What games are you expecting to benefit from 8 cores?
Just bank on a good bin in the 7800X3D and the 7950X3D.
Forget the runt.

winjer

I don’t upgrade my CPU often though. I have hung onto my x58 platform since 2008. I did upgrade around 2010 to a Xeon X5655 I got off Ebay for like $30 but that was an easy swap as it was not an entire platform upgrade.

With a history of hanging onto CPU’s for over a decade, would you say more cores now will be useful down the road so I don’t have to bother upgrading everything?

It's impossible to predict what a game will use in a decade time.
But probably it won't use more than 8 cores.

Besides, on the 7900X3D and 7950X3D, only one of the CCDs has the 3DV cache.

Reallink

Weird that 7800x3d debuts so late.

These are expensive and difficult to produce compared to typical CPU's, so they likely expect extreme shortages for at least a few months. The 7800X3D probably also outperforms the 7900X3D in many workloads (including gaming) by virtue of having a full 8 core CCD with 3D Vcache Vs. the 7900's 6 cores. The 7900X3D may very well be a pretty terrible product, and a fool's buy compared to the 7950 and 7800. If benches are as unflattering as some expect, they would have been better off selling the defective 6 cores as $400 7600X3D, cause nobodys going to buy a 7900 that's worse than the significantly cheaper alternative.

Last edited:

GHG

Oh shit, so in the case of the 7900X3D only 6 cores get exposure to the 3DV cache?

I'm all over the place right now for my secondary 4080 build. I was pricing up a 13700k build just yesterday and had almost decided on that but this has me thinking otherwise now. Honestly not sure if there will be a big difference in gaming at 4k between all of these CPUs.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Honestly not sure if there will be a big difference in gaming at 4k between all of these CPUs.
Ill give you a hint.....there wont be.
relative-performance-games-38410-2160.png

If you have any modern CPU gaming at 4K will likely not stress out your CPU.
Its usage will be relatively low but your GPU will be near maxed out.

For gaming reviewing pretty much anything since the 10th gen Intels must be boring as shit.
Reviewers have to make bottlenecks to find the differences between these CPUs, they are all super powerful and games currently arent parallelized enough to make sense buying anything above 6 cores if you game at high resolutions.

Hell this is a 4 core CPU basically maxing out most peoples GPUs/Panels.
Average-o-p.webp

Ah, so for gaming, the 7800X3d may actually be better than the 79 and 7950?

PeteBull

Unlikely, just difference probably wont be bigger than 15% in worst case scenarios, where price difference is pretty nasty still, altho all of them are pricey af.

Personally if i had to spend so much cash on good am5 mobo, at least 32gigs of 6000 mhz ddr5 ram with good timings, then additional 200$ for r9 7950x3d wouldnt be too much to swallow either, especially that its basically comboed 7800x3d+ 7950x, so in theory it could get best of both worlds (some games prefer stacked cashe, some higher frequency).

Ofc we talking being rich af mofo enthusiast who has fuck it-budget and can afford rtx 4090 expensive aib models with ease.

winjer

First I have to preface that I don't have all the information on Zen43D. So there is a bit of speculation.

But from what we know, the 7800X3D will have one CCD with 64MB of cache on top of it. Meaning all cores will have access to that extra cache (96MB L3)
Games rarely require more than 6C12T. So the 7800X3D will be the sweet spot for people who want a PC ONLY for gaming.

The 7900X3D and 7950X3D, will have one CCD with cache on top, and another CCD without cache on top.
That means one CCD with only 32MB of L3. And another CCD with 96MB of L3. This can be good and bad, although we will have to wait and see.

One of the issues of having cache sitting on top of the CPU, is that it reduces the CPU's ability to dissipate heat. This means the CPU will clock lower and it will reach MAxTJ faster and then start to throttle.
The good thing with having one CCD with cache and another without cache, is that the CCD without the cache can clock higher, and this is good for non-gaming applications.
So the 7900X3D and 7950X3D will have one CCD that has cache and is great for gaming, and another CCD without cache that is great for work applications.
These CPUs, will probably be the best of both worlds, for people that want a fast CPU for gaming and also for work.
The problem is how can the CPU know when to use each CCD, and in which situation. Because if the CPU puts a game in the CCD without cache, then it will lose performance, and the same if it places an application on the CCD with cache and lower clock.
This is why AMD and MS were talking about a new scheduler for Zen43D and Windows11. But we will have to wait and see, how well this new scheduler works.

First I have to preface that I don't have all the information on Zen43D. So there is a bit of speculation.

But from what we know, the 7800X3D will have one CCD with 64MB of cache on top of it. Meaning all cores will have access to that extra cache (96MB L3)
Games rarely require more than 6C12T. So the 7800X3D will be the sweet spot for people who want a PC ONLY for gaming.

The 7900X3D and 7950X3D, will have one CCD with cache on top, and another CCD without cache on top.
That means one CCD with only 32MB of L3. And another CCD with 96MB of L3. This can be good and bad, although we will have to wait and see.

One of the issues of having cache sitting on top of the CPU, is that it reduces the CPU's ability to dissipate heat. This means the CPU will clock lower and it will reach MAxTJ faster and then start to throttle.
The good thing with having one CCD with cache and another without cache, is that the CCD without the cache can clock higher, and this is good for non-gaming applications.
So the 7900X3D and 7950X3D will have one CCD that has cache and is great for gaming, and another CCD without cache that is great for work applications.
These CPUs, will probably be the best of both worlds, for people that want a fast CPU for gaming and also for work.
The problem is how can the CPU know when to use each CCD, and in which situation. Because if the CPU puts a game in the CCD without cache, then it will lose performance, and the same if it places an application on the CCD with cache and lower clock.
This is why AMD and MS were talking about a new scheduler for Zen43D and Windows11. But we will have to wait and see, how well this new scheduler works.

interesting. Any talk on that scheduler coming to windows 10 or will it be necessary to upgrade to windows 11?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Less than a week until the 7800x3d comes out and reviews as well... how do you guys think the 7800x3d will compare to the 7700x?

Pricing on high-end PC components has really jumped the freaking shark.

When it's between the cost of a current-gen console, PSVR2, Steam Deck, or a single CPU; you know PC component pricing is totally fucked.

FingerBang

Less than a week until the 7800x3d comes out and reviews as well... how do you guys think the 7800x3d will compare to the 7700x?
I expect it to behave like the 7950x3D when only the 3D cache cores are used, so pretty well. But I doubt it will be a massive upgrade if you're already on AM5. I was looking for a good reason to make the jump but don't see any reason to move from the 5800x3D. I might do it later if the 7950x3D gets a price cut.

Top Bottom