• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D review thread

//DEVIL//

For desktop gamers, the parity is such that there's really no reason for you to. At this point:

AMD
  • You want lower power draw and desire performance advantages in certain applications.
  • You want to invest in a platform that will provide clear upgrade paths.

Intel
  • You can deal with the higher power draw and desire performance advantages in certain applications.
  • Cost/bang for buck is a factor.
  • Perhaps less bugs to work out, due to Intel's platform dominance for years and years.
While I agree with your post, to me the second point about investing in a platform with a clear upgrade path isn't really working out for me. when I buy a CPU, I usually buy a motherboard with it. The same goes when I resell them as well. When I was with AMD before, I did not keep my X470 when I got my 5600x ( back then it was a big deal lol ) I changed to an X570 board as well just because I wanted higher ram support/PCIe 4 and so on.

there is always something that makes you want to change the board. otherwise, they wouldn't sell shit of the new boards. so to me at least, Intel and AMD are about the same. obviously, it's different for every person. but I do not change my mobo every 2 years. I usually skip a generation. so lets say I have 13900k, my next upgrade is 16900k. where a performance jump is noticeable. jumping from 5800x 3d to 7950x 3d or whatever is an ok jump. but not worth it when you are gaming at 4k for example. but it will be worth it when you jump to next year's model.

Just my 2 cents. like I said to each his own. just like how I usually do not buy a TI card. I have a 4090, I do not jump to 4090ti, I go to 5090, and so on ( if it's worth the jump. if the 4090 had the same 4080 level performance I wouldn't even jump. but double the performance of a 3080? then yeah I am in )

Last edited:

Reallink

AMD kinda shooting themselves in the foot, saw a 7700X, X670 Mobo, and 32GB 6000Mhz combo for $499 earlier today. There's no reason anyone should pay $500 - $700+ for a CPU alone with a 10-20% advantage in certain theoretical workloads when there are deals like that to be had. There's little to nothing gained at 1440p and certainly none at 4K when spending double or triple that combo deal.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Interesting from PCG
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryze...iew-Effizienz-AMD-Gaming-Vergleich-1414085/3/

We couldn't believe our eyes when we entered the determined data into our Excel spreadsheet and were presented with the efficiency values visible above. AMD's Ryzen 9 7950X3D requires just 68 watts when playing. At this point, we would like to remind you that an Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires 76 watts in the single-core benchmark in Cinebench. A performance core of the Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires more energy than all 16 cores of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D together, related to games.A performance core of the Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires more energy than all 16 cores of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D combined.The latter is more economical in 3D games than a Core i5-12400F and on par with a Ryzen 7 7700 (with a TDP of 65 watts). Without a 3D cache, a Ryzen 7950X needs around 75 percent more energy, a mostly slower Intel Core i9-13900KS 140 percent more. In terms of fps per watt, a 7950X3D sets new records and even surpasses the two in-house efficiency wonders 5800X3D and 5600. Intel can't even keep up here, a 7950X3D delivers 142 percent more fps per watt than a 13900KS.

The new 16-core processor also shows its best side in applications. 16 Zen 4 cores with 3D cache require just around ten percent more watts compared to the Zen 3 predecessor with eight cores. The 7950X, which is five percent faster, requires a whopping 77 percent more energy, while Intel buys the approximately eight percent lead of the 13900KS with 133 percent higher power consumption. The TDP of 120 watts, which means 162 watts PPT for AMD, is not even fully utilized by the 16 core. In fact, if AMD had assigned the 7950X3D the TDP class of the 5800X3D at 105 watts, the performance would be almost identical. In the tuning special, we tested the 16-core processor with a TDP of 65 watts in eco mode, now we come to the efficiency index in comparison with all processors.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
While I agree with your post, to me the second point about investing in a platform with a clear upgrade path isn't really working out for me. when I buy a CPU, I usually buy a motherboard with it. The same goes when I resell them as well. When I was with AMD before, I did not keep my X470 when I got my 5600x ( back then it was a big deal lol ) I changed to an X570 board as well just because I wanted higher ram support/PCIe 4 and so on.

there is always something that makes you want to change the board. otherwise, they wouldn't sell shit of the new boards. so to me at least, Intel and AMD are about the same. obviously, it's different for every person. but I do not change my mobo every 2 years. I usually skip a generation. so lets say I have 13900k, my next upgrade is 16900k. where a performance jump is noticeable. jumping from 5800x 3d to 7950x 3d or whatever is an ok jump. but not worth it when you are gaming at 4k for example. but it will be worth it when you jump to next year's model.

Just my 2 cents. like I said to each his own. just like how I usually do not buy a TI card. I have a 4090, I do not jump to 4090ti, I go to 5090, and so on ( if it's worth the jump. if the 4090 had the same 4080 level performance I wouldn't even jump. but double the performance of a 3080? then yeah I am in )
That's the case when you buy mid to low end. And I say this from experience. I'm not talking about niche stuff like Thunderbolt, just useful thing like more storage options or better performance.

In some way you get what you pay for. It works both ways regardless of which way you want to paint your point of view.

Coming from a 2 gen difference in performance will get you pretty dam ln good performance from both players.

Efficiency is off the charts with these AMD parts though.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Fair enough. I just got a lot of use out of my x470 and x570. A lot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
AMD kinda shooting themselves in the foot, saw a 7700X, X670 Mobo, and 32GB 6000Mhz combo for $499 earlier today. There's no reason anyone should pay $500 - $700+ for a CPU alone with a 10-20% advantage in certain theoretical workloads when there are deals like that to be had. There's little to nothing gained at 1440p and certainly none at 4K when spending double or triple that combo deal.
If you have enough money, the reason is "because I wanna flex". These people will buy the 7950X3D now, and more budget oriented consumers will buy the 7800X3D later. Savvy deal seekers will wait for the deals like you spotted.

There's all kinds of customers.

I saw benchmarks for the new X3D amd CPU got to admit this one is literally built for you to throw everything at it. The test on some sites that this new x3D beats out most all CPUs on benchmarks when it comes to 4k resolution and everything maxed out thanks to the extra cache and the best thing about it. It's uses alot less power to run it much cheaper and doesn't take 24 cores to get get fps

StereoVsn

Is that Microcenter? Saw 7900x with 32gb RAM and 650e board there for $599.

mhirano

This looks amazing but I dream about Ryzen 7xxx based APUs on the Steam Deck 2. This kind of efficiency will shine much more on mobile devices.

OverHeat

« generous god »
So other than efficiency after how the 5800X3D performed I have to admit I am a little underwhelmed.

Have been waiting for these reviews to drop before building my new PC and will be ordering tomorrow and looks like 13900 it is
Hope you get a KS 😉

Neo_game

May be there was not much performance to gain with more power. Otherwise some 65watts power draw for high performance cpu does not make sense.

daninthemix

So other than efficiency after how the 5800X3D performed I have to admit I am a little underwhelmed.

Have been waiting for these reviews to drop before building my new PC and will be ordering tomorrow and looks like 13900 it is
I guess 5800X3D vs 7800X3D is the real test. BTW how often do new CPU families come out?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I know they aren't efficient, which kinda sucks but my 13900ks build with 7200mhz memory is the fastest PC I've ever had.

Should be of course, but I do like it a lot.

kind of feels like AMD should have postponed the launch of that gen because the first impression of AM5 was rather meh, intel suddenly not being the expensive option and or just pushing people to get their old AM4s. High(er) end CPUs should only be X3D variants, and for budget/ low end some proper APUs, with a befier GPU, would be fine. Maybe one X3D somewhere in the middle. Who really needs "regular" X or nonX Ryzens?
intel has to do something to get back to where the T2400 (something T-whatever) ended P6, replaced the failed netburst and started that entire Core, Core 2, bridges, wells, lakes winning streak.

supernova8

Banned
kind of feels like AMD should have postponed the launch of that gen because the first impression of AM5 was rather meh, intel suddenly not being the expensive option and or just pushing people to get their old AM4s. High(er) end CPUs should only be X3D variants, and for budget/ low end some proper APUs, with a befier GPU, would be fine. Maybe one X3D somewhere in the middle. Who really needs "regular" X or nonX Ryzens?
intel has to do something to get back to where the T2400 (something T-whatever) ended P6, replaced the failed netburst and started that entire Core, Core 2, bridges, wells, lakes winning streak.
most annoying thing is them not releasing an APU with a maxed out RDNA3 iGPU. They can absolutely do it they just don't feel like it.

If I get a 7950X3D i can disable the core to make it basically a 7800X3D?

I don't use my PC purely for gaming but I wouldn't mind getting the 7950X3D and if games benefit from disabling 8 cores then i'd do that if the performance was shit. Is this a bios setting or is there software you can use to do it?

I'm just waiting for some UK retailers to list the 7950X3D to see how much it cost :messenger_grinning_sweat: A 7950X is £580-600 so I'm excting close to £700.

The motherboard I'm gonna get is the X670E Hero from Asus. Will buy some 64GB G.skill ram at 6000CL30 and a 2TB SSD.

You'll need an AIO if you haven't already got one.

I was looking at the 13900K/KS but the power draw (<500W) and the temperatures are a huge nope. Energy prices are only going up and I just got a new 1000W PSU. I'm not replacing it again. and I refuse to use any kind of liquid cooling as it's too much hassle. Need a case that fits it, it's louder, uses more power, pumps will fail at some point, you need software to control it, and well it's liquid....if there is a leak then you risk bringing down the rest of your PC with it. Give me a reliable high performance air cooler anyday. I was willing to replace my current cooler with a Noctua but apparently even that isn't good enough. Too many people recommend 360-420mm AIOs for the 13900K.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
If I get a 7950X3D i can disable the core to make it basically a 7800X3D?

I don't use my PC purely for gaming but I wouldn't mind getting the 7950X3D and if games benefit from disabling 8 cores then i'd do that if the performance was shit. Is this a bios setting or is there software you can use to do it?

I'm just waiting for some UK retailers to list the 7950X3D to see how much it cost :messenger_grinning_sweat: A 7950X is £580-600 so I'm excting close to £700.

The motherboard I'm gonna get is the X670E Hero from Asus. Will buy some 64GB G.skill ram at 6000CL30 and a 2TB SSD.

Yes, you can disable one of the CCX to make it a 7800X3D.
But you probably won't need to. Just set the scheduler to prefer cache.

GHG

7900x3d review:

In Japanese but graphs are graphs and numbers are numbers. Performs similarly to the 7950x3d while consuming even less power while gaming than the 5800x3d.

The main issue I'm seeing is that the 5800x3d is just too good.

FingerBang

I got a 5800x3D a couple of months ago while waiting for these new CPUs to upgrade the whole system since I'm still on a b450. I'm a little disappointed overall, not the cpu performance itself but the fact many games just don't "scale" properly with more power.

I want to see more coverage of th 7900x3D before deciding which one to go for, definitely not rushing this upgrade.

Reactions: GHG

Kadve

Over 150% more efficient in gaming Vs 13900K:

power-games.png

@Leonidas where you at my friend, you got some explaining to do
It still runs really hot though.

cpu-temperature-gaming.png

And looks like games need to be optimised to take advantage of the V-cache. Some like M&B II performs worse compared to the 5800X3D

bannerlord-2560-1440.png

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

That is a problem with all modern CPUs. Smaller die sizes, mean smaller contact area and less heat transfer.
And that cache on top is a bit like a blanket.

Still, the 13900K has significantly worse temperatures.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know they aren't efficient, which kinda sucks but my 13900ks build with 7200mhz memory is the fastest PC I've ever had.

Should be of course, but I do like it a lot.
Since I am on full off the grid solar I am not overly concerned about efficiency or how much power I use, I just want that pure performance as well

You'll need an AIO if you haven't already got one.

I was looking at the 13900K/KS but the power draw (<500W) and the temperatures are a huge nope. Energy prices are only going up and I just got a new 1000W PSU. I'm not replacing it again. and I refuse to use any kind of liquid cooling as it's too much hassle. Need a case that fits it, it's louder, uses more power, pumps will fail at some point, you need software to control it, and well it's liquid....if there is a leak then you risk bringing down the rest of your PC with it. Give me a reliable high performance air cooler anyday. I was willing to replace my current cooler with a Noctua but apparently even that isn't good enough. Too many people recommend 360-420mm AIOs for the 13900K.
Placed the order today and my guys who have been building my last few PCs recommended dual 360s to put the card and CPU on separate loops so thats what I went with

Now the estimated 4-8 week wait

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
How feasible is air cooling these days with the latest cpu’s? Could a noctua nh-d14 or 15 cool a 7800x3d probably? Would you be able to run a lower wattage profile to help? Like the other poster above I really like using air coolers but I don’t wanna start having to buy lower end cpu’s…

decisions

And looks like games need to be optimised to take advantage of the V-cache. Some like M&B II performs worse compared to the 5800X3D

bannerlord-2560-1440.png

That’s not running hot at all. AM5 chips are expected to have hotter average temperatures that are still in a perfectly safe range. They do the maximum amount of work without reaching dangerous temperatures, then throttle to reduce temperature if they approach too high of a temp, then repeat. So 73 is a perfectly fine and safe average temperature. 87 is probably not because the Intel chip doesn’t have this same behavior. It’s just running hot constantly, probably going >90 at certain times which is bad for the lifespan of the chip.

Considering it gets no meaningful performance boost over the 7950X3D, and consumes more than twice the power, no gamer should be buying that chip.

Last edited:

Kadve

Also what's stopping them from releasing a 7600X3D?

That’s not running hot at all. AM5 chips are expected to have hotter average temperatures that are still in a perfectly safe range. They do the maximum amount of work without reaching dangerous temperatures, then throttle to reduce temperature if they approach too high of a temp, then repeat. So 73 is a perfectly fine and safe average temperature. 87 is probably not because the Intel chip doesn’t have this same behavior. It’s just running hot constantly, probably going >90 at certain times which is bad for the lifespan of the chip.

Considering it gets no meaningful performance boost over the 7950X3D, and consumes more than twice the power, no gamer should be buying that chip.

Maybe im just behind the curve then (or just never invested in "high end" hardware, If my 2600x moved beyond 60 C i would worry.)

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
If there’s a game that doesn’t benefit from the cache, can you force the game to run on the higher clocked non 3d ccx?

If you’re gaming but have stuff going in the background like downloads, small tasks, etc… would turning off the non 3d ccx give worse performance than gaming on a regular 7950x with all cores active?

I’d like to see these scenarios tested…

Since I am on full off the grid solar I am not overly concerned about efficiency or how much power I use, I just want that pure performance as well

Placed the order today and my guys who have been building my last few PCs recommended dual 360s to put the card and CPU on separate loops so thats what I went with

Now the estimated 4-8 week wait
You're getting people to build your PC and it's taking 1-2 months? :messenger_open_mouth:

I can understand getting an AIO for the CPU but why water cool the GPU? What GPU are you getting? Even if it's a 3000 card you shouldn't need to water cool it lol. If it's a 4000 card you absolutely don't need to water cool it. I know you can get water cooled AIO gpus but unless you're going to be overclocking the hell out of it (which I'm assuming not if you don't want to build the PC yourself) then it's not worth it.

Sorry mate but sounds like you're being taken for a ride.

Fuck it 7950x upgraded.
k7hpM5O.png
you bought a 7950X3D to replace a 7950X? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
You're getting people to build your PC and it's taking 1-2 months? :messenger_open_mouth:

I can understand getting an AIO for the CPU but why water cool the GPU? What GPU are you getting? Even if it's a 3000 card you shouldn't need to water cool it lol. If it's a 4000 card you absolutely don't need to water cool it. I know you can get water cooled AIO gpus but unless you're going to be overclocking the hell out of it (which I'm assuming not if you don't want to build the PC yourself) then it's not worth it.

you bought a 7950X3D to replace a 7950X? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah just sold the cpu to my brother at almost no lost since I got a deal on it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I will likely do some overclocking eventually I just want it to be as silent as possible

I have built many of my PCs in the past I am just over it and would rather pay someone else to do it for me in all honesty

Not overly bothered by the wait as I mainly want it for Starfield and maybe to run Kerbal Space Program 2 at a somewhat decent frame rate

Have used this shop last couple of builds and don't mind the premium to get a nice looking well built rig

Going to see what they mock up trying a polished copper hardlined possible steampunk type of build with this one

hinch7

ahhh shit. 7900X3D here is £600 making it £160 more than a 7900X and more expensive than a 7950X! so 7950X3D is going to be about £750 :messenger_crying:

Fair enough :)
Pricing wise.. AMD usually keeps the $-£ conversion 1:1 or a little worse.

All the X3D parts are grossly overpriced for the cost/performance however its the premium you pay for TOTL gaming performance.

If you mostly care for gaming performance without the headache, its probably worth waiting for the 7800X3D in just over a month from now.

decisions

Also what's stopping them from releasing a 7600X3D?

Maybe im just behind the curve then (or just never invested in "high end" hardware, If my 2600x moved beyond 60 C i would worry.)

According to AMD, AM5 chips are safe running at <= 95°F.

So the general consensus is that the 7800x3d may have equal gaming performance to the 7950x3d when it releases in April. That’s great for me because I’m a gamer so I’m going to wait.

What are some use cases for why someone would want to spend the extra money to get the the 7950x3d? Do those extra 8 cores offer any performance improvement in general Windows 10/11 use? Opening applications, having numerous tabs open in Chrome etc. or no?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So the general consensus is that the 7800x3d may have equal gaming performance to the 7950x3d when it releases in April. That’s great for me because I’m a gamer so I’m going to wait.

What are some use cases for why someone would want to spend the extra money to get the the 7950x3d? Do those extra 8 cores offer any performance improvement in general Windows 10/11 use? Opening applications, having numerous tabs open in Chrome etc. or no?
Anything that stresses that multi tasking beast yes :). Although you are not going to see that that much unless you also add some strong productivity tools like Content Creation tools (Photoshop, video encoding, 3D modelling and sculpting, etc…) or are going to stress a compiler hard, run virtual machines, and the like. If you get a good deal sure, splurge, I think it has a bit more 3D Cache too (but then again only covering 8 of the 16 physical cores right?).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
5800X3D was a unicorn of gaming good! Such a special part that will go down in history as the best bang f9r buck gaming CPU ever made.

Shame AMD couldn't catch that lightning again.

Top Bottom