• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D review thread

Denton

5800X3D was a unicorn of gaming good! Such a special part that will go down in history as the best bang f9r buck gaming CPU ever made.
I have it, but nah that crown is already taken by Sandy Bridge 2500K. I bought that one in 2011 and it lasted me without much effort until 2018. It was incredibly overpowered compared to what was on consoles, even the next gen ones that came out in 2014.

5800X3D is awesome too, but not quite on that level.

GreatnessRD

How feasible is air cooling these days with the latest cpu’s? Could a noctua nh-d14 or 15 cool a 7800x3d probably? Would you be able to run a lower wattage profile to help? Like the other poster above I really like using air coolers but I don’t wanna start having to buy lower end cpu’s…
You should be fine even though AMD recommends AIO's for these particular chips (X3D). It will be air cooling forever for me.

I have a budget be quiet pure rock 2 cooling a 5800X3D and its fine. (Admittedly do have a second fan on the heatsink though)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have it, but nah that crown is already taken by Sandy Bridge 2500K. I bought that one in 2011 and it lasted me without much effort until 2018. It was incredibly overpowered compared to what was on consoles, even the next gen ones that came out in 2014.

Good memory there. That 2500k was a major step at the time. I could t afford the 2600k at the time and went with that 2500k which lasted me years. That was a definite turning point in something affordable with really good performance. Not sure what the price adjustment would be with inflation but I suspect it would still be favorable given how high in the spectrum and relatively well priced it was.

Great review and a solid part. I definitely understand where it sits and AMD should xhave done better with the pricing.

I'll m one of a lot of people that couldn't find the 7950x3d (my order was cancelled) and have a nearly finished build with all new parts minus this CPU.

Was fortunate enough to be refreshing several websites daily and got a 7900x3d. It is a good bump in performance from where I'm at so for me, this is just relief to be able to get one of the parts I wanted.

Given where we sit with performance, I may upgrade the CPU a time or two. I have never taken advantage of what AMD has offered with their friendly upgrade paths but given how good the board I have is I may just go that route this time and now build from the ground up for longer this time. I'll just do a CPU/GPU update.

SolidQ

Interesting news - 7900X3D + 7900XTX + 6000c30 gets you 50+ more fps than 13900K + 4090 + 8200c34 at 4K in Tarkov which is absurd.

marquimvfs

Interesting from PCG
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Ryze...iew-Effizienz-AMD-Gaming-Vergleich-1414085/3/

We couldn't believe our eyes when we entered the determined data into our Excel spreadsheet and were presented with the efficiency values visible above. AMD's Ryzen 9 7950X3D requires just 68 watts when playing. At this point, we would like to remind you that an Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires 76 watts in the single-core benchmark in Cinebench. A performance core of the Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires more energy than all 16 cores of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D together, related to games.A performance core of the Intel Core i9-13900KS already requires more energy than all 16 cores of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D combined.The latter is more economical in 3D games than a Core i5-12400F and on par with a Ryzen 7 7700 (with a TDP of 65 watts). Without a 3D cache, a Ryzen 7950X needs around 75 percent more energy, a mostly slower Intel Core i9-13900KS 140 percent more. In terms of fps per watt, a 7950X3D sets new records and even surpasses the two in-house efficiency wonders 5800X3D and 5600. Intel can't even keep up here, a 7950X3D delivers 142 percent more fps per watt than a 13900KS.

The new 16-core processor also shows its best side in applications. 16 Zen 4 cores with 3D cache require just around ten percent more watts compared to the Zen 3 predecessor with eight cores. The 7950X, which is five percent faster, requires a whopping 77 percent more energy, while Intel buys the approximately eight percent lead of the 13900KS with 133 percent higher power consumption. The TDP of 120 watts, which means 162 watts PPT for AMD, is not even fully utilized by the 16 core. In fact, if AMD had assigned the 7950X3D the TDP class of the 5800X3D at 105 watts, the performance would be almost identical. In the tuning special, we tested the 16-core processor with a TDP of 65 watts in eco mode, now we come to the efficiency index in comparison with all processors.
And that's why Intel is using it's stupid asymmetrical cores arrangement. Imagine the power consumption if all cores were "performance". Incredible that there's people ok with this.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

I should comment that the 7900x3d is quite impressive in my use so far. I actually got to some games after finally migrating my data and installing most of what I need for now.

Hogwarts Legacy runs with far less drops and much better 1% lows. I did make a good jump in CPU and definitely in memory. I haven't overclocked but I may mess with that this weekend.

I don't regret not being able to get the 7950x3d with how this rig feels.

I actually may stick to this build for longer due to the CPU support from AMD.

I normally build new every few years with a mid point GPU upgrade.

I think I'll see what we have for the next 2 years CPU wise and update the 4090 when we get to the 5xxx series RTX cards. This rig may carry me for 5 years!

LiquidMetal14

What CPU did you have before?
5900x with gimped memory. Bad CPU lottery that wouldn't run the 3600mhz Vengeance beyond 2666.

Also couldn't OC much.

Another game I tried was Rocket League (casual game, I know). It ran smooth with way less little hiccups during loading. Smooth 4k144 during gameplay which was largely the same with the 5900x but this just feels totally smooth compared to the random hitches I had.

sendit

Intel can’t keep up with the die shrinks. This is a blood bath in efficiency:pperformance. Anyone running a Intel chip needs to be reported to their local utilities company and have their power cut until they purchase an AMD cpu.

Last edited:
I can't find a 7950X3D anywhere. My favourite site says it sold out but I was checking it constantly and never seen it in stock.

Looks like I won't be building anything until April if I'm lucky.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can't find a 7950X3D anywhere. My favourite site says it sold out but I was checking it constantly and never seen it in stock.

Looks like I won't be building anything until April if I'm lucky.
Silver lining - you could just opt for the cheaper 7800X3D if you don't need the extra cores.

Or, if you do... then sorry lol.

Silver lining - you could just opt for the cheaper 7800X3D if you don't need the extra cores.

Or, if you do... then sorry lol.
I'm not getting a 7800X3D. I'm in no rush so can wait for the 7950X3D. Could do with saving up a bit longer anyway! Once the 7800X3D is out it should be easier to get since that seems like it'll be the most popular.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
7800X3D was obviously the only one that made sense.

7950X3D is a joke of a CPU, if it didnt literally park cores id give it a better score.
But right now easy skip.

12400 gets to live another day.
These guys gotta step up their game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

And before that Q6600 after price drop.

Black_Stride

Core parking isn't a problem. It's a feature that optimizes resources and cost.

It is cuz a 7800X3D bin for bin should perform exactly the same.
Makes the 7600X3D missing from the lineup even more shocking considering theres a 7900X3D.

The 7950X3D and 7900X3D are an easy skip.

Anyway, ill see all the PC builders when the 12400 and/or 13500 are actually gimping performance.....still then I think im not even gonna look at CPU reviews until theres a huge generational jump.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It is cuz a 7800X3D bin for bin should perform exactly the same.
Makes the 7600X3D missing from the lineup even more shocking considering theres a 7900X3D.

The 7950X3D and 7900X3D are an easy skip.

Anyway, ill see all the PC builders when the 12400 and/or 13500 are actually gimping performance.....still then I think im not even gonna look at CPU reviews until theres a huge generational jump.
So what? These are specific chips made for specific use cases. If both gaming and productivity are important to you and you don't want to make significant sacrifices in either direction, the 7950X3D is a great option because you don't have to choose anymore. You can have both.

If that's not your use case, then don't get it. But it is a legit scenario for many users.

Black_Stride

So what? These are specific chips made for specific use cases. If both gaming and productivity are important to you and you don't want to make significant sacrifices in either direction, the 7950X3D is a great option because you don't have to choose anymore. You can have both.

If that's not your use case, then don't get it. But it is a legit scenario for many users.
Im a cost benefit builder.
If one CPU gets the same or similar enough performance I look at the cheaper one.
These productivety workloads people talk about arent a real thing on GAF.
I dont think ive met any of the PC builder crew who realistically need 16 cores for any sort of compilation.
We are primarily a gaming forum, so thats the most important thing.
And with this generation the 7800X3D seems to be the best at doing that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
These productivety workloads people talk about arent a real thing on GAF.
I dont think ive met any of the PC builder crew who realistically need 16 cores for any sort of compilation.
Yes it is a real thing. There are plenty of users here who do content creation, media work, rendering, VM utilization, coding, engineering work, etc with programs that benefit from extra cores.

I use mainly After Effects for my work, which loves frequency and lots of RAM, so a 7950X3D would be overkill, same for you gamer nerds that don't do anything else with their PC but gaming. You don't need such a beast.

So last night I went ahead a bought a 5700X as a stop gap on Amazon as the deal was too good (£178). I'll upgrade in 2024 to Ryzen 80003D.

Man. The next PC I build is not even going to reside in the same room that I game in with these temperatures. My 10900k and 3080 already turn my room into a fucking unbearable oven.
Yeah its getting absurd. Like the pc parts are drawing more power which is heating my room additionally so I was already thinking about buying a AC which will even draw more power to cool the room.
lucious lyon wtf GIF

So I'll wait for more efficient designs like the 3D CPUS.
Hopefully though GPUS will get WAY more efficient soon.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The more I look at the scores, and the more I consider that I am going to be playing on 4K (mostly) and maybe 1440p (or 4K with lower scaling), the less I think I need these CPUs. That Microcenter $599 bundle for Motherboard, RAM and CPU looks super attractive. 3080Ti here and not planning to replace that any time soon (not till Nvidia 5K or RDNA 4K cards).

Undervolt 7900x a bit to run around 100w (or less) and should be g2g. This is coming from Intel 10th gen 10900k.

Black_Stride

The more I look at the scores, and the more I consider that I am going to be playing on 4K (mostly) and maybe 1440p (or 4K with lower scaling), the less I think I need these CPUs. That Microcenter $599 bundle for Motherboard, RAM and CPU looks super attractive. 3080Ti here and not planning to replace that any time soon (not till Nvidia 5K or RDNA 4K cards).

Undervolt 7900x a bit to run around 100w (or less) and should be g2g. This is coming from Intel 10th gen 10900k.
Yup.
For gaming pretty much any modern CPU will do the job beyond admirably.
These 600-700 dollar CPU are dick measuring pieces for gamers.
A 5800X3D is an absolute beast of a CPU and more than enough for pretty much any workload.....even the people claiming they do a bunch of productivity and need double the core count.

To be fair, for emulation the new X3D seem to be pretty awesome.

emulation-ps3.png
I was under the impression that the 3D cache didn't help RPCS3. This appears to suggest it most certainly does. Interesting how it performs significantly worse when set to "prefer frequency" which is the opposite of what I anticipated finding when I build my PC. Curious.

StereoVsn

I was under the impression that the 3D cache didn't help RPCS3. This appears to suggest it most certainly does. Interesting how it performs significantly worse when set to "prefer frequency" which is the opposite of what I anticipated finding when I build my PC. Curious.
Yep, one would expect individual core performance to be what drives overall results. Yet we see cache having great effect. Pretty interesting.

So what’s the scoop here, for gaming and some audio mixing am I well off enough with the 5800X3D or does it make sense to go bigger? I keep my processor a long time but am willing to upgrade on big leaps forward.

Black_Stride

this has an igpu right ?

might get it and make a server.
For a server you wont need or really use the 3D V Cache.

And the non-X3D chips have had massive price cuts so thats probably a better bet.
If you can find them in stock even the 7900 non-X is an absolute steal....assuming you dont absolutely need 16 cores and 12 cores is enough.
The 7900 non-X is also a 65W rated chip that comes with a Wraith Prism cooler.

P.S Yes all Ryzen 7000 have iGPUs

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, where's the 'W' in paying 2x the price for 3 fps more?
Well, this is more a chip, IMO, for folks who a) Want to game, but do productivity tasks on a side b) Have enough income that cost doesn't matter or c)Want the biggest e-peen they can get ;) . Well, perhaps also for pro e-sports players.

Still, a W is a W, just this chip doesn't make sense for most gamers. If anything upcoming 7800x3d will be that chip overall, or even cheaper options, especially if gaming at higher resolutions.

Well, this is more a chip, IMO, for folks who a) Want to game, but do productivity tasks on a side b) Have enough income that cost doesn't matter or c)Want the biggest e-peen they can get ;) . Well, perhaps also for pro e-sports players.

Still, a W is a W, just this chip doesn't make sense for most gamers. If anything upcoming 7800x3d will be that chip overall, or even cheaper options, especially if gaming at higher resolutions.
It wins in some esports games vs the 13700k/13900k and loses in others. Either way, even for professionals, 600fps vs 800fps doesn't make a difference. 120 vs 240 vs 360? Sure. But we're talking about such absurdly high framerates. I suppose an esports player playing one particular game might go AMD but you can say the same for intel on just as many games.

winjer

Gold Member

AMD shrunk the V-Cache down from 41 mm2 to 36 mm2 but maintained the same 4.7 B transistors. TSMC fabricates the cache on a new version of the 7 nm node that it developed especially for SRAM. As a result, the V-Cache has 32% more transistors per square millimeter than the CCD despite the CCD being manufactured on the much smaller 5 nm node.

All of the refinements and workarounds AMD implemented add up to a 25% increase in bandwidth to 2.5 TB/s and an unspecified increase in efficiency. Not bad for nine months between the first and second generations of a supplemental chiplet. Hopefully it shows its value when the Ryzen 7 7800X3D arrives in a month's time.

winjer

Gold Member

AMD released updated Ryzen Chipset software, version 5.08.02.027. In addition to bug fixes for its various components, the drivers introduce application support for a "New program support and some new drivers added." The package now includes three new components—AMD SFH 1.1 driver, AMD PMF-7040Series driver, and a curiously named AMD Interface driver. SFH, or Sensor Fusion Hub, is a mobile-relevant component where various sensory devices, such as cameras, motion-sensors, etc., can be presented to the OS to drive applications that need them, such as Windows Hello. AMD PMF-7040 driver provides Platform Management Framework, and is specific to the Ryzen 7040-series "Phoenix" mobile processors. "AMD Interface driver" is a mystery.

AMD's first processor with 3D V-cache, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, didn't face optimization issues, as it was a single-CCD processor. The company's latest 7900X3D and 7950X3D are dual-CCD processors, where one of the two CCDs has 64 MB 3D V-cache on top of the 32 MB on-die L3 cache, and the other is a regular "Zen 4" CCD with just the on-die 32 MB L3 cache. To ensure the right kind of workload is scheduled to the right kind of CCD, AMD has been using a driver that assists Windows scheduler with this exact task. "AMD Interface driver" could serve as a backend to an application that probably gives some kind of control for this 3D V-cache control driver; or perhaps it is just a backend for Ryzen Master. If AMD has to give end-users the ability to tinker with 3D V-cache application scheduling, the logical way it would go about doing it is add functionality to the Ryzen Master app. If there is a separate front-end application planned for the task, then it is probably non-public, and meant for AMD and its ISV partners.

TitanNut88

Would an upgrade from a 10900k (with a 3080) be worth it? Mostly for MSFS and playing at 1440p (for now)…

Last edited:
Top Bottom