• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's happening!

wMj2vEh.jpg

Aliens confirmed.

SamuraiX-

EW said:
“As far as shake-ups go, we have lots of shake-ups from season to season,” says Kirkman. “It keeps things interesting — keeps the blood pumping, I like to say — but Negan is kind of an atomic bomb that’s going to be dropped on the show and the show will probably never be the same after that. So buckle up, I guess?”

[Minor Comic/Season 6.5 Spoilers]
“I think the Saviors are dangerously organized,” says Kirkman. “The Wolves were psychotic, the Hunters [the group from Terminus] had a lot of weaknesses. When it comes to the Saviors, and Negan in particular, the way I’ve always thought about this in the comics is this is a group that’s led by a guy who’s had his morality dial a few clicks away from Rick toward the darker aspects of his personality, but is still an intellectual and capable leader who’s kept his group alive against all odds just as long as Rick has. It’s really the best encountering the best. When these two forces come head to head, things are gonna get interesting. This is a much different group than they’ve ever encountered. The Saviors are a group they’re not really prepared for.”

Rick ain't ready. We ain't ready. Ain't nobody ready.

Do you guys think Glenn's death will be comic accurate? Or will someone else take his spot. Not sure if I can watch that scene...

dustyherb

Do you guys think Glenn's death will be comic accurate? Or will someone else take his spot. Not sure if I can watch that scene...
Major Comic spoilers
honestly if there is one death that is comic accurate it's going to be this one. Just because it's such a big moment from the comics and marks the beginning of big changes to come for this story. It's gotta be either Glen or Morgan at this point in my opinion. If it was Daryl like so many comic readers want then I feel like we would've gotten a whole lot more of him in the first half. But who knows either way it's going to be one crazy half a season and watching the scene is going to be hard even for me. I love all these characters and it's going to be difficult seeing one of them go out this way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Major Comic spoilers
It's gotta be either Glen or Morgan at this point in my opinion. If it was Daryl like so many comic readers want then I feel like we would've gotten a whole lot more of him in the first half. But who knows either way it's going to be one crazy half a season and watching the scene is going to be hard even for me. I love all these characters and it's going to be difficult seeing one of them go out this way.

(speculation/spoiler)
I think it's going to be Morgan.

Major Comic spoilers
honestly if there is one death that is comic accurate it's going to be this one. Just because it's such a big moment from the comics and marks the beginning of big changes to come for this story. It's gotta be either Glen or Morgan at this point in my opinion. If it was Daryl like so many comic readers want then I feel like we would've gotten a whole lot more of him in the first half. But who knows either way it's going to be one crazy half a season and watching the scene is going to be hard even for me. I love all these characters and it's going to be difficult seeing one of them go out this way.
i just feel Glenn getting it loses its wow factor due to his constant plot armour. Negan himself makes its awesome but to me if look at Glenn and be like meh finally .

Zaph

(speculation/spoiler)

Yup. (Comic spoiler)
While that character really worked in the comic, the show isn't the comic and has its own story lines and development, so it might not be a great fit for where the show is at. Especially since the last two big deaths were 'good' characters with Beth and Noah - so it might make more thematic sense for Lucille to début with a more neutral/conflicted character like Morgan or Abram. The women are completely off-limits for this scene.

eloestmn

I hope they switch it up and put the bat to Maggie. That would be way better than what happened in the comic and a lot more interesting than having it happen to Morgan.

Id hate to see Lauren Cohan go, but darn if it wouldnt shake things up a little more.

Comic spoiler discussion:
The only reason I think it might not be Glenn is because of this mini-cliff hanger. Seems lame that he survives that just to get it at the end of the season, but maybe that will make the impact even harder. I don't think it will be Morgan cuz it seems like too many fans would be happy if he gets it. The death is supposed to hurt, so that will be Glenn or Daryl, or heck even Maggie.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd say
Darryl

I don't think it'll be
Glenn
because everyone is expecting it to be.

--Comic spoilers--

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yup. (Comic spoiler)
The women are completely off-limits for this scene.

ESPECIALLY Carol (due to her history with physical abuse).

Comic spoiler discussion:
I don't think it will be Morgan cuz it seems like too many fans would be happy if he gets it. The death is supposed to hurt, so that will be Glenn or Daryl, or heck even Maggie.

(Comic Spoilers)
The reason I think it will be Morgan is because they've set up this whole conflicting philosophy battle between him and Rick - "Don't kill" vs "Kill" - and in Morgan's flashback episode they introduced the "keeping the very bad person locked up instead of killing them" concept, which is of course what Rick does to Negan after "All Out War" in the comics.

Now, Show Rick isn't anywhere close to being at the point where he'd be willing to lock up someone like Negan (or anyone, for that matter), so something big's gotta happen to make him turn over a new leaf (assuming the show follows the comics in this regard). From the audience's perspective, his relationship with Morgan is the longest running one in the series, so I feel like his death would have the most impact for Rick as an individual (besides Carl obviously, but they're not going there), as well as for the audience.

(I would say Daryl, but I don't see how Daryl dying would cause Rick to take up Morgan's philosophy.)

Kard8p3

ESPECIALLY Carol (due to her history with physical abuse).

(Comic Spoilers)
The reason I think it will be Morgan is because they've set up this whole conflicting philosophy battle between him and Rick - "Don't kill" vs "Kill" - and in Morgan's flashback episode they introduced the "keeping the very bad person locked up instead of killing them" concept, which is of course what Rick does to Negan after "All Out War" in the comics.

Now, Show Rick isn't anywhere close to being at the point where he'd be willing to lock up someone like Negan (or anyone, for that matter), so something big's gotta happen to make him turn over a new leaf (assuming the show follows the comics in this regard). From the audience's perspective, his relationship with Morgan is the longest running one in the series, so I feel like his death would have the most impact for Rick as an individual (besides Carl obviously, but they're not going there), as well as for the audience.

(I would say Daryl, but I don't see how Daryl dying would cause Rick to take up Morgan's philosophy.)

(comic spoilers)

One could also argue that Morgan will live, but someone else, be it Glenn or Daryl, will prompt Rick to think "man..my way sure isn't working out! Maybe I should try Morgan's!" without needing Morgan to die (yet)

(comic spoilers)

If we see a new Asian main character anytime soon then Glenn is toast.

Besides that, I think it's gonna be Morgan.

+ With Jesus coming around, we don't need TWO combat ninjas
+ At least so far, we don't have any other major Asian characters
+ I think Morgan might actually sacrifice himself instead of letting Lucille pick
+ Rick's gonna need some way to memorialize Morgan and what he does to Negan later is a perfect call back

I don't think there's any way AMC kills off "their" character. Way too valuable to do that.

dustyherb

(speculation/spoiler)
Comic spoilers
thats what I've been saying for a while as well but at this point idk what to believe. The whole don't kill philosophy that he has would play perfect into Rick sparing Negan and honoring the memory of his friend. Plus like you said the jail cell in the flashback episode is a big hint and with Morgan being Rick's first friend in the apocalypse it would be devasting to see him die like that.

But this could all just be Kirkman/Gimple screwing with us like Kirkman is constantly doing with the comics. It seems a little to obvious it's Morgan and I could easily see them killing Glen cause now everyone thinks the dude is safe. Especially for non comic fans seeing Glen go out so soon after the dumpster incident would be a pretty big surprise. One thing I'm pretty damn positive of is it isn't going to be Daryl. I can't possibly imagine AMC killing off their original character who is one of the biggest charters overall. Especially when they have plans to go for 10+ seasons.

ElTopo

Banned
(comic spoilers)

If we see a new Asian main character anytime soon then Glenn is toast.

Besides that, I think it's gonna be Morgan.

+ With Jesus coming around, we don't need TWO combat ninjas
+ At least so far, we don't have any other major Asian characters
+ I think Morgan might actually sacrifice himself instead of letting Lucille pick
+ Rick's gonna need some way to memorialize Morgan and what he does to Negan later is a perfect call back

I don't think there's any way AMC kills off "their" character. Way too valuable to do that.

I hope you're wrong. Because (Morgan talk):

That would make two great Black characters who take a "no kill" policy and die because of it.

bitbydeath

Seems everyone is just hoping it will be Morgan cause the character has been a dick lately, that alone is more reason for him to live, it'll likely either be Glenn or Carol, it needs to create such a massive impact that leads to war and you don't get that by killing off a character that not even the team he is on is unsure about him in the first place.

dustyherb

Yup. (Comic spoiler)
While that character really worked in the comic, the show isn't the comic and has its own story lines and development, so it might not be a great fit for where the show is at. Especially since the last two big deaths were 'good' characters with Beth and Noah - so it might make more thematic sense for Lucille to début with a more neutral/conflicted character like Morgan or Abram. The women are completely off-limits for this scene.
Comic spoilers
man they better not kill off Abraham this next half a season or I am going to be so damn pissed. Dude is the perfect person for the all out war setting. He needs to make it to the end of all out war and get Nicholas's comic death or something like that. Luckily I know kirkman really regrets what he did to him in the comics so that gives me hope he will live longer.

Plus he wouldn't be a good Lucille choice just because it needs to be an Atlanta original or Morgan. He could work since he was in the very first episode and being the first person Rick meets in the apocalypse. I don't think enough people love Abe yet to get the death. But he's definitely growing on a lot of people.

I haven't actually read the comic, but I've been reading all your spoilers anyway (lol, I gave up trying to avoid them). Here are my thoughts:

Comic spoilers:
I think it will definitely be Morgan that gets Lucille'd. His death would symbolize the final end of the last vestiges of the old world, which would have more impact IMO than Glenn's death. Morgan's practically the last remaining person in the story that still believes in the inherent good in all people. It's something you just won't find much of or at all anymore in this new post-apocalyptic world. He symbolizes the last remaining innocence of the old world, and once he's gone, the world around the remaining cast will never feel the same. His death would serve as a clear dividing line between the old era and the new. Just my 2 cents

dustyherb

Seems everyone is just hoping it will be Morgan cause the character has been a dick lately, that alone is more reason for him to live, it'll likely either be Glenn or Carol, it needs to create such a massive impact that leads to war and you don't get that by killing off a character that not even the team he is on is unsure about him in the first place.
Comic spoilers
nah I don't think Morgan's been a dick at all the dudes been getting way too much hate this last half a season. He's made a lot dumbass choices but he also saved Daryl/Aaron and just wants to honor Eastman since the dude brought him back from being a full blown killers.

Morgan dying from Lucille just make the most sense in the long term with Rick sparing Negan at the end of the war. Plus Morgan dying would be more then enough cause for Rick to go to war. This is the guy who took care of him and told him what was going down when everything started. They have a pretty damn strong bond. Plus Lennie James would make the Lucille scene absolutely heartbreaking. But who knows this could be all misdirection like I said earlier. Kirkman and crew might want us all thinking its Morgan

And sorry but it shouldnt be Carol that would just be too much in my opinion. She was a victim of abuse and her going out like that would be very very hard to watch. In fact I think we can pretty much rule out a female even getting Lucilled. Negan hasn't ever killed a female in the comics as far as I am aware. I guess you could count Holly but we don't officially see her die by him.

bitbydeath

Comic spoilers
nah I don't think Morgan's been a dick at all the dudes been getting way too much hate this last half a season. He's made a lot dumbass choices but he also saved Daryl/Aaron and just wants to honor Eastman since the dude brought him back from being a full blown killers.

Morgan dying from Lucille just make the most sense in the long term with Rick sparing Negan at the end of the war. Plus Morgan dying would be more then enough cause for Rick to go to war. This is the guy who took care of him and told him what was going down when everything started. They have a pretty damn strong bond. Plus Lennie James would make the Lucille scene absolutely heartbreaking. But who knows this could be all misdirection like I said earlier. Kirkman and crew might want us all thinking its Morgan

And sorry but it shouldnt be Carol that would just be too much in my opinion. She was a victim of abuse and her going out like that would be very very hard to watch. In fact I think we can pretty much rule out a female even getting Lucilled. Negan hasn't ever killed a female in the comics as far as I am aware. I guess you could count Holly but we don't officially see her die by him.

comic spoilers
Morgan is also the guy who will be partly responsible for Carl getting shot in the face due to his harboring of the gun man.

I don't think they'll rob the scene of that moment, Glen is the most likely one to die by Lucille, that moment was like reading the Game of Thrones Red Wedding in a single death. It was an extremely powerful scene especially in how he died and the words spoken to Maggie, only Glen can die in such a powerful dramatic way that will bring many people watching it to tears.

raindoc

I'd say
Darryl

I don't think it'll be
Glenn
because everyone is expecting it to be.

--Comic spoilers--

comic spoilers
i think it'll be glenn. not despite, but because of his "near death experience" earlier this season. he and maggie will be reunited and it will be a great moment of joy in the show. everyone else in new alexandria will be so glad to see Glenn is still alive too.
and every newcomer to the show will be force-fed what a nice guy Glenn is and how much he should be missed...
then WHACK!

Zaph

comic spoilers
i think it'll be glenn. not despite, but because of his "near death experience" earlier this season. he and maggie will be reunited and it will be a great moment of joy in the show. everyone else in new alexandria will be so glad to see Glenn is still alive too.
and every newcomer to the show will be force-fed what a nice guy Glenn is and how much he should be missed...
then WHACK!

But this is where new stories added to the show conflict with following the comic (comic spoiler)
If they do the whole reunited with Maggie and then abruptly killed off, it'll basically be a an almost exact repeat of Beth/Maggie and come across really lazy to the viewers. I think they added Glenn's ridiculous zombie escape to fuck with comic readers because they know they're not feeding him to Lucile and tried to create a (weak) substitute

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Question:

Has Kirkland indicated that walking dead has an end in mind? I want to read it but I can't stand the soap opera aspect of many American comics. I usually stick to limited runs or graphic novels because of that reason.

dustyherb

Question:

Has Kirkland indicated that walking dead has an end in mind? I want to read it but I can't stand the soap opera aspect of many American comics. I usually stick to limited runs or graphic novels because of that reason.
Yes he does plan to end it one day, I believe he's always said 300 issues is something he's aiming for. Issue 150 was just this month so it's going to be another 10+ years or so before he gets to 300. He's said tho that he could even go up to 500 if he really wanted to. He will definitely end it someday that's for sure. It's just going to be a long ass time still.

someday

Banned
But this is where new stories added to the show conflict with following the comic (comic spoiler)
If they do the whole reunited with Maggie and then abruptly killed off, it'll basically be a an almost exact repeat of Beth/Maggie and come across really lazy to the viewers. I think they added Glenn's ridiculous zombie escape to fuck with comic readers because they know they're not feeding him to Lucile and tried to create a (weak) substitute

This is what I think as well. Once they used up the Glenn is in danger plot for the entire first half, they simply can't use him for Lucille. Well, I guess they could but that seems like it would be almost abusive to the audience.

comic spoilers
then WHACK!
I'm leaning strongly towards this and with same rationale.
I agree with others that AMC won't kill their character and I still think from anecdotal talking with people that a lot of people wouldn't be sad to see Morgan go. I like Morgan but I think I'm the only one among my friends.

Question:
He said when he started that the comic is about what happens after a zombie movie ends. I've never seen him talk about a specific ending in mind. I doubt he has one. TBH I would doubt he has a plan for the next big arc.

dustyherb

He said when he started that the comic is about what happens after a zombie movie ends. I've never seen him talk about a specific ending in mind. I doubt he has one. TBH I would doubt he has a plan for the next big arc.
He has to have an idea how it ends I can almost guarantee it. He's talked about how many issues he would love to do, and I also know that he outlines all his story lines. So he definitely knows where future arcs are going. His outlines are never very detailed tho till he gets to that point in the story. I remember reading for example when he first started the walking dead he would just write stuff down like group goes to prison or whatever. And then just slowly fills in the details and all that as he goes a long.

A lot of people don't like how he writes and his pacing but the dude takes his writing pretty seriously. He has to have some general idea on how he would want to end it.

Its time for this show to move on.

I have had it with " lets move in here and stay till its overrun with zombies"

Fuck, get on the road, go somewhere and find a cure, cause of the zombie outbreak, military and government controlled areas and then end this show!

bitbydeath

Question:

He's at the halfway mark.

Robert Kirkman said:
I do plan on doing at least 300 issues, but if I'm having this much fun then I won't stop there. Also, if I suddenly start having a lot LESS fun, I may end it earlier, but I don't see that happening. I'm in for the long haul, and Charlie Adlard is too. As far as a new group/location... not exactly... although there are some REALLY cool changes coming up in issue 127.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/20u6xf/im_robert_kirkman_creator_of_the_walking_dead_ama/

dustyherb

Its time for this show to move on.

I have had it with " lets move in here and stay till its overrun with zombies"

Fuck, get on the road, go somewhere and find a cure, cause of the zombie outbreak, military and government controlled areas and then end this show!
we will never know what the cause of this outbreak was. Kirkman wants it to be left for the imagination. And as for a cure I just don't see that ever happening in this kind of story. Kirkman hated the CDC episode in season 1 so don't expect the government or whatever coming up with a way to save everyone.

The whole point of the walking dead is seeing how people would react if civilization would completely fall and how they can bring that back. It's not going to happen by traveling on the road. It's almost 2 years into the apocalypse it's probably not the best idea trying to live life out in the open and find some cure that doesnt exist. Rick and gang almost weren't able to come back after the prison fell and had to start traveling on foot.

we will never know what the cause of this outbreak was. Kirkman wants it to be left for the imagination. And as for a cure I just don't see that ever happening in this kind of story. Kirkman hated the CDC episode in season 1 so don't expect the government or whatever coming up with a way to save everyone.

The whole point of the walking dead is seeing how people would react if civilization would completely fall and how they can bring that back. It's not going to happen by traveling on the road. It's almost 2 years into the apocalypse it's probably not the best idea trying to live life out in the open and find some cure that doesnt exist. Rick and gang almost weren't able to come back after the prison fell and had to start traveling on foot.

yeah I get that. But do we really want more of " move in live for a while and then it gets infested with zombies again" type scenarios? Somethings got to change or I will move on, and I dont want to.

dustyherb

yeah I get that. But do we really want more of " move in live for a while and then it gets infested with zombies again" type scenarios? Somethings got to change or I will move on, and I dont want to.
I'm not going to get into detail and spoil anything but just keep watching. This next half a season is where things in the comic really started to pick up and get crazy. There's no way they will keep the show going for 10+ seasons like they want if everything is rinse and repeat.

Yup. (Comic spoiler)

I don't know if I would say the show is its own storyline. It pretty much is following the story of the comic, just getting there differently. Some characters have survived and some have died but its the same character arcs that are being replaced and exchanged by different characters.

Zaph

I don't know if I would say the show is its own storyline. It pretty much is following the story of the comic, just getting there differently. Some characters have survived and some have died but its the same character arcs that are being replaced and exchanged by different characters.

I didn't say the show is its own storyline, but that it has different and new storylines which need to be considered when adapting the comic. We had half a season for Maggie wanting to be reunited with Beth only for her to die just beforehand - none of which exists in the comic. We've now had almost half a season of Maggie waiting to be reunited with Glenn, again, not in the comic (comic spoilers)
if a few episodes later history repeats itself and Glenn is murdered after Maggie just got him back, it'll come across as incredibly lazy and just milking that character for drama.

I didn't say the show is its own storyline, but that it has different and new storylines which need to be considered when adapting the comic. We had half a season for Maggie wanting to be reunited with Beth only for her to die just beforehand - none of which exists in the comic. We've now had almost half a season of Maggie waiting to be reunited with Glenn, again, not in the comic (comic spoilers)
if a few episodes later history repeats itself and Glenn is murdered after Maggie just got him back, it'll come across as incredibly lazy and just milking that character for drama.
a friend of mine who reads the comics is of the opinion that the whole segment with beth and the hospital was filler. i mean yeah, it branched out and is different from the comics but it didn't really amount to much since beth (and later noah) died. especially after building up her character I feel like it was so fucked up.

Zaph

Heath has barely been in the show so far, I wonder how much of the next season has been filmed (if he actually has more of a part this time?) and if they could pull-off a sneaky re-cast. That said (mild comic spoiler)
I always thought he was kind of a nothing character in the comics. Literally cannot pinpoint a single thing about him. They could probably get away with killing off the character without repercussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom