• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan - Season 4 Part 3 Part 1 - ANIME ONLY Discussion Thread, no manga hints/impressions

LordOfChaos

Episode has been up on Crunchyroll and Funimation

https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/G...tan-final-season-the-final-chapters-special-1

https://www.funimation.com/v/attack-on-titan/the-final-chapters-special-1

Holy crap guys. I think that was the finest piece of TV I've ever seen. Just the first 10 minutes was mind blowing, and then the mind blowingness kept on coming to the end so that I almost forgot what was blowing my mind at the start lol.

Hange, literally going out in a blaze of glory! It seems like other anime only impressions on reddit are that she's dead and that was just a "nice" representation of heaven and not literal or whatever. But I was kind of wondering if she's in a new world Eren is going to create, and everyone who is already dead is waiting for the end of this for everyone else to show up.

Still not really clear if Eren is berserk or there's more layers to the plan, I'm leaning towards more layers still with them laying down that he was struggling with it, knowing he'd kill that child in the future but wanting to save him when they were on the other side of the sea anyways. I'm feeling like this is an Endgame moment like, of all possible outcomes, this is the least bad, and that's why he has to keep going with it even though it's hard. But then it also shows his sociopathic tendencies, and, you just don't know still if it's more layered or just straight genocide.

Giving them the freedom to stop him is the other thing. He could have turned off their abilities and just won, but he doesn't. So is the plan to get them to stop him and Ymir out at the same time? Bring the Hallucigenia looking thing out into the open in Eren's giant form so that they can end it?

And I did criticize Mappa in parts of the previous parts of the final season, but this was incredible work, any complaints are too small to matter in the epicness of what they did in this special.

Can't wait for the end, so much left to explain but I have full hope the animation studio will do it justice now.

334972101_874807550414394_1642306921139255617_n.jpg

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

"Season 4 part 3 part 1"

wtf
Lol yeah they should have just called it season 5 at this point but they started doing the final season crap so long ago with s4 part 1

And then when it was getting really silly with season 4 part 3 and 4 they decided to call it part 3 part 1 and part 2

But eh, season cludge aside this episode/movie/whatever was incredible

Last edited:

Yoboman

Lol yeah they should have just called it season 5 at this point but they started doing the final season crap so long ago with s4 part 1

And then when it was getting really silly with season 4 part 3 and 4 they decided to call it part 3 part 1 and part 2

But eh, season cludge aside this episode/movie/whatever was incredible
Wait so it still isn't the last season?

LordOfChaos

Great work by Mappa on this one. Better to take their time.

I had some critiques of the prior parts, but this special was effectively flawless, any issues were too small to care placed besides the awesomeness.

If the final season part 3 part 2 (lol) is this good as the conclusion, I'm satisfied animation wise.

Vinland Saga season 2 had also been looking good so I had hopes for this, and they very much delivered

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I had some critiques of the prior parts, but this special was effectively flawless, any issues were too small to care placed besides the awesomeness.

If the final season part 3 part 2 (lol) is this good as the conclusion, I'm satisfied animation wise.

Vinland Saga season 2 had also been looking good so I had hopes for this, and they very much delivered
Agreed. Their previous work paled in comparison to Wit's run, but this was good enough to address any complaints. And yeah, Mappa has done well with Vinland Saga S2, Jujutsu Kaisen, and God of High School.

Doom85

God of High School.

Really? Virtually everyone I know who watched it said it was a piss poor adaptation because while the fights were cool and the animation was on point, the screenwriters for some baffling reason removed most of the down time between fights which developed characters, established motives, properly set up powers, etc. and thus resulted in fights being between characters barely developed and pulling powers out of their asses. It was like some impatient 10 year old edited the whole thing with the mindset of, “talking? BORING, let’s cut this out so we can get to fighting sooner, I’m sure it won’t make the whole thing nonsensical!”

But if you mean animation wise only, then yeah it did look pretty good at least.

LordOfChaos

I was thinking about the line where they're in the Paths and Eren is like, I won't take away your free will, but I also won't stop, so our only option is to TATAKAE

On one hand there was a whiff of cheesy video game boss line lol, but it was still very hype. I think it's even more hype if my idea is right and there's still another layer to Eren's plan we don't know yet, where this is some kind of golden path win scenario even though it's horrible it's the least horrible. People in the outside world seeing and noting that the Paradis devils were here to save the world made me even more believe in that idea, that maybe Eren wants them to stop him so that everyone else can see the Paradis folks aren't all bad, and they can rebuild together and that creates a peace.

Also Hange's heaven scene, a metaphor and emotional storytelling are the easy answers, but part of me was wondering if the dead people were already in some sort of new world Eren is creating.

Manga readers pls not even hints of if this is along the right path or it's just Eren gone bad.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was thinking about the line where they're in the Paths and Eren is like, I won't take away your free will, but I also won't stop, so our only option is to TATAKAE

On one hand there was a whiff of cheesy video game boss line lol, but it was still very hype. I think it's even more hype if my idea is right and there's still another layer to Eren's plan we don't know yet, where this is some kind of golden path win scenario even though it's horrible it's the least horrible. People in the outside world seeing and noting that the Paradis devils were here to save the world made me even more believe in that idea, that maybe Eren wants them to stop him so that everyone else can see the Paradis folks aren't all bad, and they can rebuild together and that creates a peace.

Also Hange's heaven scene, a metaphor and emotional storytelling are the easy answers, but part of me was wondering if the dead people were already in some sort of new world Eren is creating.

Manga readers pls not even hints of if this is along the right path or it's just Eren gone bad.
AoT’s world is horrific and the residents of Paradis have endured a living nightmare. Eren’s choosing his people when no one else will stand up for them. It’s an extreme position but Eren is an extreme personality.

I see it as Eren judging the world and finding it wanting, deciding on the only solution that protects his loved ones and home, when the alternatives are slavery, sterilization, and extinction.

The world Eren was forged in doesn’t operate on human dignity, the sanctity of life, moral virtues. It operates entirely on power. The big eat the small. He seized absolute power for a brief time and this is the best guarantee he can deliver for the future of Paradis to endure after he’s gone.

He doesn’t deprive his friends of agency because he loves them and he’s doing this all for their sake.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Eren viewpoint are very understandable

Heres the Marleyan people wanted nothing but the destruction of Paradis

This is where the plot gets weird and doesnt make sense

The team shouldnt waste any time to stop erens rumbling as the other side only wants nothing but complete anihilation of your entire nation

LordOfChaos

The team shouldnt waste any time to stop erens rumbling as the other side only wants nothing but complete anihilation of your entire nation

They don't think global genocide minus one island is the answer, I don't think their perspective doesn't make sense

They would have been ok with attacking the gathered global military alliance in a "Soft Rumbling"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Eren viewpoint are very understandable

Heres the Marleyan people wanted nothing but the destruction of Paradis

Overwhelmingly it is millions of powerless civilians who are being killed by the rumbling, as we see depicted this episode. The cost for Paradis's freedom is too high and the ends don't justify the means. The royal family understood the cost of freedom and chose to preserve the status quo. The residents of Paradis were deprived of free will in the process, though. It's an artificial solution that can only be maintained by suppressing the population's innate desire for self-preservation and survival, magically brainwashing them. However, people like Eren and his comrades in the Scouts have been honed by the desperate fight to survive within the walls, in defiance of all the odds.

Eren is the spear that shatters this status quo, but it requires him to become subsumed in nihilism, willing to bring on the apocalypse. He needed to separate himself from his friends in order to make this decision. His friends don't want this; the scales are too out of balance between the value of their lives and the value of the rest of humanity. They understand the hard choices well enough to know that they need to sacrifice themselves in order to prevent the apocalypse--one being performed on their behalf. They're willing to kill their friends if necessary, even, with tears in their eyes.

The author understands the human condition very well.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They don't think global genocide minus one island is the answer, I don't think their perspective doesn't make sense

They would have been ok with attacking the gathered global military alliance in a "Soft Rumbling"
Isnt that if Eren doesnt retaliate Marleys gona send waves after waves of Titan until Paradis is gone

Thats an impending doom waiting to happened

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Isnt that if Eren doesnt retaliate Marleys gona send waves after waves of Titan until Paradis is gone

Thats an impending doom waiting to happened

They devastated Marley's port and the soft rumbling destroying the gathered military alliance was supposed to set them back at least 10 years and show their power as a deterrence

The other Paradis crew were hoping that would make enough time to make an uneasy peace, but it's not clear if the rest of the world wouldn't turn on Paradis again eventually. Eren's plan is, can't be a race war if there's no races.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They devastated Marley's port and the soft rumbling destroying the gathered military alliance was supposed to set them back at least 10 years and show their power as a deterrence

The other Paradis crew were hoping that would make enough time to make an uneasy peace, but it's not clear if the rest of the world wouldn't turn on Paradis again eventually. Eren's plan is, can't be a race war if there's no races.
Destroying a port doesnt really stop the war marley still have immense military power and tons of titan serum to keep sending titan monster to paradis

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Destroying a port doesnt really stop the war marley still have immense military power and tons of titan serum to keep sending titan monster to paradis
and the soft rumbling destroying the gathered military alliance was supposed to set them back at least 10 years and show their power as a deterrence

That's the second part that they were going to do, the global military alliance had their armies gathering in one spot and they were going to destroy that with the wall titans of just one district. That would have severely depleted Marley's army and taken years to rebuild, but then Eren took /all the wall titans/

That's good and all but Eren only have 4 years left. They will "force"Historia and her child to become titan. All Eren want was his friend can life happy and long life. Rumbling is the only thing that can made it happen

LordOfChaos

Rest in peace king 👑 floch

No one can say he wasn't brave

It was interesting what he said in his last moment, that they were going to kill everyone on Paradis, and "those devils" are our only hope. Something he knows? That Eren told him? Or just his worldview?

Edge Lord

No one can say he wasn't brave

It was interesting what he said in his last moment, that they were going to kill everyone on Paradis, and "those devils" are our only hope. Something he knows? That Eren told him? Or just his worldview?
That's just his worldview.

In season 3 when Erwin was dying he(floch) said the same thing along the lines.he believes in necessary evil..in this case it's Eren.

Top Bottom