• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW THE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS (SEE BELOW)

The Walking Dead, the most watched drama in basic cable history, returns for another terrifying and exhilarating season on Sunday, October 11th at 9/8c. The 16-episode season will air in two parts with the first eight hours kicking off October 11th and the back half beginning on February 14th, 2016.

AMC said:
About the Show

The Walking Dead tells the story of the weeks and months that follow after the apocalypse. Based on Robert Kirkman's hugely successful and popular comic book series, AMC's The Walking Dead is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama where personal struggles are magnified against a backdrop of moment-to-moment survival. A survivalist story at its core, the series explores how the living are changed by the overwhelming realization that those who survive can be far more dangerous than the mindless walkers roaming the earth. They themselves have become the walking dead.

Season 6 starts with Alexandria's safety shattered by multiple threats. To make it, the people of Alexandria will need to catch up with our survivors’ hardness while many of our survivors will need to take a step back from the violence and pragmatism they've needed to embrace. These reversals of roles won't happen easily. Or without conflict.

But now our group is fighting for something more than survival... They're fighting for their home, and they will defend that at any cost, against any threat.

Even if that threat comes from within.

Based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics, The Walking Dead stars Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Lennie James, Chandler Riggs, Melissa McBride, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Sonequa Martin-Green, Michael Cudlitz, Alanna Masterson, Christian Serratos, Josh McDermitt, Seth Gilliam, Ross Marquand, Tovah Feldshuh, Alexandra Breckenridge, and Austin Nichols. The series is executive produced by Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, David Alpert, Tom Luse and Greg Nicotero.

wRYuJag.png

Standard rules apply: after the 9PM ET/6PM PT airing of a new episode, the details of that episode may be discussed openly without the use of spoiler tags. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview and/or promo discussion for episodes that have not aired.

Leaks: The posting and/or discussing of leaked material is strictly prohibited in this thread. All discussion regarding unofficially distributed media belongs in The Walking Dead Spoiler Discussion Thread.

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. [Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers]
[Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
. All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.​

ND4aFiN.png

d1CSJnf.png

The Hollywood Reporter said:
AMC's The Walking Dead has cast Corey Hawkins, the star of NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton, to play a key comic book character, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

In the exclusive first look above, Hawkins — who will recur — makes his debut as
Heath, a key member of the Alexandria Safe Zone. The character, an eventual Alexandria supply runner, friend to Glenn and love interest to Denise, is first introduced in issue 69 of Robert Kirkman's comic series.

Hawkins becomes the first confirmed casting addition for season six of the zombie drama. For his part, the role comes as he's poised to star as Dr. Dre in Straight Outta Compton, due in theaters Aug. 14. Hawkins is repped by ICM and Authentic.

j9lpb63.jpg

Entertainment Weekly said:
It was announced at Comic-Con in San Diego that Ethan Embry and Merritt Wever would be joining the cast, but no other details were given on whom they would be playing. We have your exclusive first pictures of both as well as scoop from showrunner Scott M. Gimple on their characters, plus a fresh look at another new Alexandrian.

Wever, who won an Emmy playing nurse Zoe Barkow on Nurse Jackie, now
gets a promotion to full-blown doctor. We can reveal she will be playing Dr. Denise Cloyd, a character from The Walking Dead comic, and you can see the first photo of Wever as Denise above. Denise’s role as a medic becomes critical in the community of Alexandria after the death of Pete, and in the comic her skills as a surgeon prove pivotal, especially after a ghastly injury incurred by one of the main characters—an injury which may or may not happen on the TV version.

yEg2rSQ.jpg

Entertainment Weekly said:
It was announced at Comic-Con in San Diego that Ethan Embry and Merritt Wever would be joining the cast, but no other details were given on whom they would be playing. We have your exclusive first pictures of both as well as scoop from showrunner Scott M. Gimple on their characters, plus a fresh look at another new Alexandrian.

Embry (seen most recently on Netflix’s Grace and Frankie) is also joining the cast, and in addition to the exclusive first photo of him above, we can also reveal that he is playing the role of
Carter. Gimple says Carter serves as a composite of different people from the original comic. “Ethan plays a combo of a few characters that we actually haven’t hit yet or weren’t able to hit in other characters,” says Gimple. “He is an Alexandrian, and has been there the whole time, just quite busy.” From the looks of the season 6 trailer that was released at Comic-Con, Carter now looks like he’ll be busy trying to turn the community against Rick for all the violence that has come to town. We’ll see how that pans out for him.

IK3bTtG.jpg

TVLine said:
24‘s Xander Berkeley is making time for a potentially long-term stint on The Walking Dead, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Berkeley, whose more recent TV credits include Nikita, Being Human, Salem and Zoo, is joining AMC’s zombie smash in a top-secret Season 6 recurring role that sources confirm is
not infamous comic baddie Negan. That said, I hear his character — whose name is being kept under wraps — does share some of the same characteristics as Negan. Namely his narcissism, huge ego and self-preservation. He’s also said to relish the superiority that comes with being in control, but he plays it off with a car salesman-type charm.

Berkeley will debut during the second half of Walking Dead‘s sixth season (the first half premieres Sunday, Oct. 11 at 9/8c). And in a clear sign that producers have big plans for the actor, his deal carries with it a series-regular option for Season 7.

BBpO5eS.jpg

The Hollywood Reporter said:
AMC's The Walking Dead is poised to introduce another key comic book character.

Luck alum Tom Payne has joined the cast of the zombie drama based on Robert Kirkman's comics, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Payne will join the series in a recurring role for season six — with an option for season seven — and play
Paul Monroe, aka "Jesus."

The character was first introduced in issue 91 of the comics. He is a resident at the Alexandria Safe-Zone who moved to the community from another group called the Hilltop Colony. The character is a rare logical man and skilled adviser with a strong sense of morals and values who is well-adapted to the new world.

Payne, repped by Paradigm, Untitled, Curtis Brown and Felker Toczek, becomes the latest new addition for season six.

MxzBNHj.jpg

bx4TQrz.png

kIQgfc6.png

Trailers

Features
Fan Tributes
Season Recaps

7fqhdJf.png

sjiborz.png

pPMdyCZ.png

LFrFYXR.png

Brian Lowry (Variety) said:
Picking up where Season 5 left off, while embarking on new plots, The Walking Dead looks very much at the top of its game, with strong character material mixed with a massive set piece in the extended premiere made possible, no doubt, by its enormous popularity.
Mitchel Broussard (We Got This Covered) said:
The season six premiere, if nothing else, is rightfully ambitious. ... There's something about the growing lethargy of the scripting, aimlessness of the stories, and static nature of the characters that makes the sixth season premiere of The Walking Dead the first to truly question my future with the show.
Ted Pigeon (Slant Magazine) said:
Despite its unprecedented magnitude of zombies, the real battles in The Walking Dead's sixth season will likely take place without force or violence. ... Showrunner Scott Gimple has opened [the show] to new possibilities—both in its narrative and philosophical foundations—and is successfully crafting a rare series of rising caliber and still-widening potential deep into its run.
Mike Hale (New York Times) said:
The big, scary moments in The Walking Dead pump up the action, but they also serve a practical function: They weed out the cast, the expansion and contraction of which constitutes much of the show’s drama. Sunday’s episode introduces new dangers and opens up [deadly possibilities] in the near future.
Verne Gay (Newsday) said:
Sunday's episode is exceptional, marred only in a few spots by padding that's inevitable with these supersized episodes.
Richard Lawson (Vanity Fair) said:
The [premiere] is engaging enough, and scary, and all that Walking Dead stuff. ... To combat that feeling, of having lost some connection to the original series, something’s gotta change on The Walking Dead, I think. Something big.
Brian Moylan (Guardian) said:
The first episode of the new season is epic and equipped with a killer cliffhanger, but the show’s strength lies in its complex characters and philosophical themes. ... More numerous and foul zombies are well and good, but it’s the humans that really make this a show worth investing in.
Bryan Bishop (The Verge) said:
It’s a thrilling opening ... But it’s hard to escape the feeling that the show is starting to tread around in a bit of a circle; that it just needs something more. ... That’s not to say the journey isn’t entertaining — it most certainly is — but it’s awfully easy to feel like you’re not really going anywhere.
Mark A. Perigard (Boston Herald) said:
Call it escalation, maybe in response to the tepid spinoff Fear the Walking Dead, but Walking Dead in its sixth season premiere wants you to remember the nightmare started here, and this show owns it.

XFuhO05.gif
jVCXpFp.gif
oIf5sZc.gif

U1C2rlY.gif
SWSt3Fw.gif
zlVv5nj.gif

tUKS8XY.gif
gs0Uc3P.gif

cf5wJOP.gif
he0tBS0.gif

rt1YoNk.gif
3sTy7LN.gif

Ledsen

LIterally finished the last s5 episode one minute ago and immediately went looking for the S6 thread to check when the season was starting. Can't believe my timing, jesus. After that incredible finale I'm getting to watch the follow-up right away? Holy shit

SamuraiX-

GET HYYYYPPEE

The notable thing I wanted to mention about the content in the OP is in regards to the "Season Recaps" section.

I fished around YouTube for the best, most concise season summary videos I could find and now each season can be recapped in no longer than 5 minutes! So I highly recommend checking them out.

Two other particular goodies are those fan tributes I posted. Found those while looking for recap videos and I thought they were both incredibly well done. They do an awesome job showcasing character evolution and relationships across multiple seasons, which for me is my favorite quality about the series.

Tabris

The one disappointment I have recently is the reduction of time spent with Daryl, Glenn, and Carl. The original characters outside of Rick and Carol seem to have little evolution to them while I found their character arcs before Alexandria the best part of the show. Especially Carl.

Based on what I've seen of the graphic novels, Carl seems to be a much larger character in that then in the show. I wonder why they have de-emphasized him?

UberTag

The one disappointment I have recently is the reduction of time spent with Daryl, Glenn, and Carl. The original characters outside of Rick and Carol seem to have little evolution to them while I found their character arcs before Alexandria the best part of the show. Especially Carl.

Based on what I've seen of the graphic novels, Carl seems to be a much larger character in that then in the show. I wonder why they have de-emphasized him?
I can buy the argument about Daryl and Carl. Glenn actually was given some scenery to chew in the back half of last season what with watching Noah die in the solar panel supply run gone wrong and his ongoing feud with Nicholas.

Tabris

I can buy the argument about Daryl and Carl. Glenn actually was given some scenery to chew in the back half of last season what with watching Noah die in the solar panel supply run gone wrong and his ongoing feud with Nicholas.

Yeah but much less development then from before.

Tabris

I barely see any scenes with Carl in these trailers? I'm worried he's going to get forgotten again among the Alexandria Rick vs Morgan story.

Cedric

Oh the actor that played Dre is gonna be in this? Let's hope the black man cycle takes out Father Gabriel first.

skybald

The second half of season 5 was really good. I hope this season keeps the momentum rolling.

Comic
I also hope they fortify Alexandria like they did in the comic. I am just as much interested in the theory as survival as the characters.

Really bothers me that AMC no longer lets you watch live on the website. We have to wait until the next day to watch there.

I'm not sure when they switched, but I was able to watch all of S5 live on AMC.com last year.

styl3s

Finally

Hoping I can finish rewatching season 5 by tonight. HYPE.
I binged the first half yesterday and binging the 2nd have today starting in 30 minutes.

I also hope they kill Daryl off this season just for pure enjoyment of seeing the internet have a complete fucking meltdown. I know it won't happen but it would be fun to watch none the less. Also, is
Negan showing up this season?
It's a comic book character that was confirmed for the show but i know some people are sensitive but in case you are worried it's just a character name.

daveo42

Banned
Yasssss! Looking forward to the next major arc of the show. I hope they are able to pull off a few of the bigger moments from the comic. This season should be really good for both comic and non-comic readers.

I binged the first half yesterday and binging the 2nd have today starting in 30 minutes.

I also hope they kill Daryl off this season just for pure enjoyment of seeing the internet have a complete fucking meltdown. I know it won't happen but it would be fun to watch none the less. Also, is
Negan showing up this season?
It's a comic book character that was confirmed for the show but i know some people are sensitive but in case you are worried it's just a character name.

Having a character be untouchable defeats the purpose of TWD

But this show is the Daryl show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom