• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2, CoD:WWII pre-orders off to "very strong start", CoD trailer fastest viewed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think most people were expecting these to do well anyway, but straight form the horse's mouth.

Activision Blizzard said:
Activision had 48 million MAUsA in the first quarter, down year‐over‐year primarily due to
expected softness from last year's Infinite Warfare™ release. Activision expects to release Call of
Duty: WWII on November 3, 2017. Last week's reveal was the most watched livestream in Call of
Duty history, and the reveal trailer became the fastest video to reach 10 million views in Call of
Duty history. Though early, initial pre‐orders for Call of Duty: WWII are off to a very strong start.

Activision and its partners at Bungie expect to release Destiny 2 on September 8, 2017 and
welcome PC players into the Destiny universe for the first time. Response to the Destiny 2 reveal
was very encouraging, and pre‐orders are off to a very strong start.

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...1-E02F6817700B/Q1_2017_ATVI_Press_Release.pdf

Update:

Activision Blizzard has confirmed that it's the Destiny SKU with the expansion pass that represents the majority of the pre-orders.

Midas

Most preorders are for the SKU with the expansion packs as well. Not hard to guess that though.

BLCKATK

In for Destiny 2. I don't pre-order much anymore but I have a feeling I'll probably play the sequel as much as I've played the original.

Looking forward to the reveal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pre-ordered the big CE for Destiny 2, took the day off work.

Gonna be a good weekend.

(I also predict it will have the biggest launch of any single game this gen and that the servers will be completely fucked.)

sense

Considering the majority of people preordering the game are fans of the original, it is no surprise the edition with the expansion pass is the most preordered. I would also be not shocked to see the digital split to be almost 50%. I know I regretted getting vanilla destiny on disc and having to keep changing discs every time new content came out lol

Midas

Considering the majority of people preordering the game are fans of the original, it is no surprise the edition with the expansion pass is the most preordered. I would also be not shocked to see the digital split to be almost 50%. I know I regretted getting vanilla destiny on disc and having to keep changing discs every time new content came out lol

Yeah, I'm going digital with Destiny 2. It's an online only game anyway, no need to keep a disc you cannot use in a few years.

Gonna be a good weekend.

(I also predict it will have the biggest launch of any single game this gen and that the servers will be completely fucked.)

I hope they learned from the Rise of Iron launch and use the same queue system for Destiny 2, as soon as they launch it. Not when they see servers melting like they did with the Rise of Iron launch.

MrS

Banned
Already pre-ordered Destiny 2 and the expansion passes via PSN. D2 has so much potential and I need my raid fix with the big homies.

GOAT potential

giphy.gif

I haven't actually pre-ordered Destiny 2 yet, but if you know me at all you now I'm going to get it.

CoD on the other hand, I'm optimistic, but I'm going to wait for hands-on impressions and the like. Hopefully there will be an open beta at some point.

Vinc

I definitely feel an uptick in my own personal interest in these games this year. Well, I guess I was more excited for Destiny 1, which ended up being disappointing, but I'm now more excited for Destiny 2 than I thought I was going to be. I'll be very interested in the gameplay reveal, I hope it delivers. It has to.

The "battle" between COD, Destiny, and Battlefront this year will be the most interesting end-of-year shooter battle in years. It's a particularly strong year for them, even with last year being as strong as it was.

Gonna be a good weekend.

Definitely I am a PC only gamer and I have been waiting on destiny for many years.

Kyoufu

Destiny 2's pre-orders are among the highest in Acitivision history and there's still months and months to go. The game will be a big hit, that's for sure.

A lot of people pre-ordered for access to the beta. I know I did. After the beta I always cancel my pre-order. More than likely I will get the next CoD and Destiny but I'll wait to pre-order both digitally a week or month out from release.

This Fall is going to be great.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, I'm going digital with Destiny 2. It's an online only game anyway, no need to keep a disc you cannot use in a few years.

I hope they learned from the Rise of Iron launch and use the same queue system for Destiny 2, as soon as they launch it. Not when they see servers melting like they did with the Rise of Iron launch.

I think Bungie themselves were shocked by that. I mean, TTK didn't seem to have that issue if I remember correctly so why would RoI?

(But I'll never forget that because the connection issues at 5 AM led to me missing out on beating Oryx on hard due to a bug and people being booted to orbit. So I didn't get the emblem. Ughhhhh.)

Kibbles

Haven't preordered yet but I'm going digital since Amazon is shit and didn't even ship the last game I preordered there till the day of release and it was 2 days late. Not taking that risk again.

Not really a surprise. Two of the biggest games of the year (unless Read Dead actually makes it this year) I'm already itching to play Destiny 2, can't wait for that gameplay reveal.

Ogodei

Surprising to see the enthusiasm for a World War II shooter. I guess if you wait long enough, all that is old becomes new again (and it has been a while since a big-name WWII shooter).

People will never stop pre-ordering games will they?

I have Destiny 2 pre ordered because I know what I'm getting and I'm beyond excited after probably 400 hours of Destiny.

I do not have COD pre ordered because I don't trust them to put out a game that I want to play. I am, however, interested in the WWII setting.

Destiny 2 will unquestionably have a bigger launch than the game in your avatar.

I'm a big Destiny fan, but I highly doubt that. CoD WWII trailer already has 14 million views. Destiny 2 trailer has 11 million and has been out for about a month now.

Both game launches will be huge, but I think CoD will be bigger. I'd love to be wrong, though!

AHA-Lambda

What are you confused about...?

Personally, I've never understood the popularity of Destiny at all, it's frankly alien to me.
And the return to WW2 is also just very uninteresting to me.

Hence my saying I felt out of touch with the popular zeitgeist

Hux1ey

Banned
Personally, I've never understood the popularity of Destiny at all, it's frankly alien to me.

With Destiny, people love carrot on stick games, no matter the quality. With CoD It's crazy to think that going back to where they started is actually refreshing as heck at this point. It's definitely the most interested I've been in CoD for many years.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm a big Destiny fan, but I highly doubt that. CoD WWII trailer already has 14 million views. Destiny 2 trailer has 11 million and has been out for about a month now.

Both game launches will be huge, but I think CoD will be bigger. I'd love to be wrong, though!
No way CoD gets beaten at launch. Long term I could potentially see happening since Destiny is supported for several years versus just one.

Van Bur3n

People will never stop pre-ordering games will they?

Gotta want want want it right now now now.

Game where its fun to shoot stuff, plus RNG slot machine of a loot system that keeps players on a hook, all while doing it with friends online in some fun ways (raids) but mostly through tedious chores (everything else). But a lot of things can be fun so long as you're playing with others.

It's the quality of Destiny that keeps people coming back.

Indeed. "Carrot on a stick" games are a dime a dozen, but not all of them are successful. There is no game similar in both quality and design to Destiny. It's closest competition right now is probably The Division, but there's still a massive difference between the two.

Says the guy whose avatar is a promotion for a studio that was clearly in over their heads with their first COD this generation...single player was good but the community dwindled in a way that was almost unheard of with COD

Says the guy with a meme as his avatar lol

Incidentally, single player is all I care about for COD:WWII.

Destiny 2 will unquestionably have a bigger launch than the game in your avatar.

We shall see ;)

E92 M3

What's so hard to comprehend about a WELL-MADE shooter with loot that can be played with friends?

Did you try the demo?

I'm hyped for Destiny 2 myself and have it pre-ordered. CoD on the other hand will wait for it to go on sale as I'm only interested in the campaign.

If Destiny 2 is like damn good from a quality perspective the sky is the absolute limit for it.

Pretty much same for COD WWII.

I understand the hype (and think it is pretty justified, considering the current state of Destiny) - but this is a pretty insane thing to say for a game that has yet to even reveal gameplay footage.

I should have qualified my statement. I play Online (mostly pvp) shooters almost exclusively these days. Even with how poorly balanced destiny pvp could be (depending on what month you check in on it lol), I play the everliving Jesus out of it because the mechanics are just that incredible.

I have similar playtime in BO3. Both titles I didn't have much to chase the last half or more of my playtime so this whole 'carrot on a stick' thing doesn't hold that much influence in my case. Many shooters have had satisfying gunplay but none is more satisfying than Destiny (or of the overall quality as BO3...which is why I'm glad D2 and Treyarch's next effort are not hitting in the same year)

The guns in AW were mostly samey and not up to par with best in the series (for reference, I still don't think MW2 has been topped in this regard)

Top Bottom