• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

a5jbjz.gif

That looks wild. Imagine being able to drop in online races like that.

nib95

Banned
Shift was terrible lol

At the time GT5 physics were unmatched, but Turn 10 made huge improvements with Forza 4. All I know is GT5 is much harder to drive with all the assists off, but does that make it more realistic?

I don't think GT5s physics are more realistic because it's harder lol (is it?), I just think that because I feel the range of control, driving feedback, suspension accuracy etc is all more realistic, and there's just a greater sense of finesse and response. Which is ironic because Kaz mentioned he's improved all of those things with GT6.

Not to turn this in to a Forza vs GT thread mind, so let's not get in to that. In any case, the extended video above is insane. GT once again pushing the bar.

Dead Man

That's very cool but I wish they would also use GT engine sounds too, that way maybe K. Yamauchi would feel ashamed by his vacuum cleaners and force him to put in proper engine sounds.

Im still amazed he left the audio department untouched.
I cant deal with it.

Is that confirmed? Or just not mentioned yet?

I still don't understand what that Nurburgring video actually is; is it a promo for the race, for the driver, for Audi, or for GT6 (or something else)?

Also when GT Academy first started I'll admit that I saw it as a gimmick, but after looking at GT6 I'm starting to see how the whole GT Academy concept might have paid big dividends in terms of improving GT as a driving simulator.

nib95

Banned
That's very cool but I wish they would also use GT engine sounds too, that way maybe K. Yamauchi would feel ashamed by his vacuum cleaners and force him to put in proper engine sounds.

Im still amazed he left the audio department untouched. I cant deal with it.

How do you know he left the audio untouched? Based off of a TV line out mono recording from a 7 month old preview build that borrows sound from a different vehicle altogether?

That looks wild. Imagine being able to drop in online races like that.

I'd love for that to be the new intro for rolling starts.

I don't think GT5s physics are more realistic because it's harder lol (is it?), I just think that because I feel the range of control, driving feedback, suspension accuracy etc is all more realistic, and there's just a greater sense of finesse and response. Which is ironic because Kaz mentioned he's improved all of those things with GT6.

Not to turn this in to a Forza vs GT thread mind, so let's not get in to that. In any case, the extended video above is insane. GT once again pushing the bar.

I dunno. It feels a lot easier to spin than in FM4. I'm no expert, though. I can't say which is more accurate, but I agree that GT5 nails the sensation of driving. Sometimes I'll forget I'm playing a game and just go into zombie mode where everything just happens without thinking. Kind of like when I'm driving to work in the morning :lol

I still don't understand what that Nurburgring video actually is; is it a promo for the race, for the driver, for Audi, or for GT6 (or something else)

The 24 Hours Nürburgring is happening right now. The guy in the clip is just explaining how to get through that certain section. It's just part of the TV coverage. It's also a great promo for GT6.

AllenShrz

How do you know he left the audio untouched? Based off of a TV line out mono recording from a 7 month old preview build that borrows sound from a different vehicle altogether?

Yep, Im jumping to conclusions based on the videos that came out. If they did changes, why not show them?!

Even if they do change the sounds, I bet it will not cover the 1200 cars.

That was my number 1 complain with the GT series. Half the joy of racing is the sound of the beast you are driving!!

I no longer have hope on PD to implement good sound :(

Please prove me wrong PD and I gladly eat a crow and buy 5 copies.

nib95

Banned
I think they could relatively easily change the sound on all 1200 cars. Just change the sound balancing to show off more of the rear of the car instead of the front, up the bass and run a filter through all the sounds to increase aggression somewhat.

Perkel

Banned

What you said is true but sound are part of car development process if they are not good now they won't be in full version.

It's like listening good music from shitty radio. Quality may sound bad buy you can clearly hear if something sounds bad or not.

nib95

Banned
What you said is true but sound are part of car development process if they are not good now they won't be in full version.

It's like listening good music from shitty radio. Quality may sound bad buy you can clearly hear if something sounds bad or not.

That's not at all true and the comparison isn't really a good one. It would be true if all the original source recording was low quality, but I'd imagine it was recorded in very high quality and can easily be sampled or adapted. Add to that, we already know GT5 has good sounds, they just happen to only resonate when behind the car lol. They just need to tweak the sound balancing somewhat and put more of the rear sound towards the front.

That's not at all true and the comparison isn't really a good one. It would be true if all the original source recording was low quality, but I'd imagine it was recorded in very high quality and can easily be sampled or adapted. Add to that, we already know GT5 has good sounds, they just happen to only resonate when behind the car lol. They just need to tweak the sound balancing somewhat and put more of the rear sound towards the front.
What makes you think they will do that? Kaz thinks the sounds are flawless, "almost too realistic" in his own words

Because he said so? And why would they say they're improving them all the time if they already think they're flawless lol.
He said so during GT5 as well and it's still terrible. In fact Kaz says a lot of things.

If the audio was improved they would have shown it off at the unveiling. Why on Earth would they hide it away?

Mascot

The sound is improved from behind the car, but it's still pretty insipid compared to other racing games on the market.

I'd absolutely love PD to give the GT series the audio it deserves (it's embarrassingly bad, to be honest), but Kaz has cried wolf too many times regarding 'improvements' to the franchise. Basically, I'll believe any audio improvents when I actually hear them for myself. Those people forensically dissecting ambiguous and badly-translated comments from Kaz are more optimistic than I am. GT is fantastic and I love it to death but if we've learnt one thing over the last decade it's that Kaz talks a good game but often stretches himself far too thinly. Over-promise and under-deliver has been a running theme for several years now.

It does look like GT6 is finally getting close to the game that GT5 should have been when it was first released with Kaz finally widening his tunnel vision and viewing GT in a broader context, but the recent presentation at Silverstone gave us bare bones bullet-points without much flesh on them. Hopefully we'll get some real substance and concrete details at E3.

nib95

Banned
He said so during GT5 as well and it's still terrible. In fact Kaz says a lot of things.

If the audio was improved they would have shown it off at the unveiling. Why on Earth would they hide it away?

Because it's not finished? Not saying it will improve, but I have faith. Especially if they've said they're improving it. It does need to improve though, so hopefully if the fans are loud enough...

Because it's not finished? Not saying it will improve, but I have faith. Especially if they've said they're improving it.
We are talking six months not a year. We should be seeing a solid representation of where the game is at now. If their sound work is so far behind that they can't even provide finished example for the unveiling demo it just shows their priorities still aren't in order. Kind of like damage in GT5 they are just slapping it in last minute.

Kaze13

We are talking six months not a year. We should be seeing a solid representation of where the game is at now. If their sound work is so far behind that they can't even provide finished example for the unveiling demo it just shows their priorities still aren't in order. Kind of like damage in GT5 they are just slapping it in last minute.

I am so tired of seeing this post from the same guys over and over again. Make your point and move the fuck on.

To me, their priorities are dead on point. It's a driving simulator. They are showing what is most important to their fans. If you don't know what it is, then you have your priorities pointed another way.

If they improve the sounds, great! It would be a bonus to me at least. If it remains the same, then I would be disappointed but that gif tells me that everything will be more than ok.

amar212

Those sales of the last 3 games are completely underserved, it actually make me mad because theres other very good racing games failling, for example PGR4, Shift series, Split/second.

Its for things like these that dont have games like Toca, Enthusia, Shift (and probably PGR) anymore.

You are not serious, are you?

Oh, yes you are.

Come on.

Have you asked yourself why there are no TOCA, Enthusia, Shift or PGR with us anymore? Why Codemasters decided to listen to Gavin Raeburn in his insane idea to go more "casual" and earn millions in process if heritages of bot TOCA and CMR gets destroyed (did not happen)? Why did Konami decided in the last minute to cut the funding of Enthusia's 900-wheel project and drastically cut the marketing in half? Why did EA decided to stop the development of Shift after both games sold impressive 8M combined on all platforms? Why Microsoft insisted to launch all PGR games in the same time with their Halo games?

What is completely undeserved is how all publishers above decided to treat their franchises. Sales of GT games are all 100% deserved. Especially when you take into concern how they were blatantly underrated by reviews during launch times, especially be US media outlets.

How about Toca 2006 for psp?

Toca RAce Driver 3 for PSP was simply 1:1 port of PS2/XB/PC game. It has astonishing list of tracks and venues, same as the *big* game. But it was completely non-drivable in Simulation mode (even in other modes) and majority of higher-tier races were hell because of that (races with many laps and homicidal AI). With exception of on-paper content, TRD3 on PSP was not a good game from driving standpoint.

In the same time, GT PSP is perfect hadndheld driving game. It has great physics, totally made to fit portable device (although device itself is not ergonomic enough to justify proper riving, same as Vita IMO) and it has structure made perfect for portable game: self-assigned level of challenge with progress based on previous success, randomised structure of vehicle availability on order to cater "returning to game" procedure and stunning online options for a PSP game. I can accept how many fell short to accept GTPSP as it was, but IMO it is the best handheld racer ever from any point imaginable.

I dunno. It feels a lot easier to spin than in FM4. l

It depends of which more are you using. Forza 4 has special Simulation setting which is the ultimate driving sensation of FM4 (especially with the wheel in 900-mode) but sadly, noone uses it. When is Simulation mode (minimal lateral buffer, full-tyre model, full-suspension model..) FM4 and GT5 are pretty close in their sensations.

...it just shows their priorities still aren't in order. Kind of like damage in GT5 they are just slapping it in last minute.

Damage in GT5 was not slapped in the last minute. You can't *slap* unique real-time procedural visual damage with dedicated crumble-zones for all Premium cars model in last minute. Let us at least try to be serious in conversations here.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
C'mon guys, hoping for improved/new car sounds is pretty much a joke right now. I'm not saying that they won't improve but it's certainly now right now, not this gen. I'm actually tired of the same hair dryer/blower/vacuum sounds. C'mon Kaz step it up, hire some beatboxers to do you car sounds.

Damage in GT5 was not slapped in the last minute. You can't *slap* unique real-time procedural visual damage with dedicated crumble-zones for all Premium cars model in last minute. Let us at least try to be serious in conversations here.
The models were certainly created with the intention of damage, it was always the plan, hence being made out of individually modelled sections. But the fact is we never even saw those crumple and scratch effects until the game was out, we saw dozens of demos and outside of the rally cars there had been no indication of damage. The rally cars were shown at GDC 09 with doors and bonnets swinging off, but we never saw the rest of the damage for almost a year after that. After GT5 had already missed at least two release dates. The intention was always there, but the actual implementation of the physics model felt very rushed together. Hence why the impact physics and crumple effects really don't even work together, and the locational detection is poor.

Kaze13 said:
I am so tired of seeing this post from the same guys over and over again. Make your point and move the fuck on.

To me, their priorities are dead on point. It's a driving simulator. They are showing what is most important to their fans. If you don't know what it is, then you have your priorities pointed another way.

If they improve the sounds, great! It would be a bonus to me at least. If it remains the same, then I would be disappointed but that gif tells me that everything will be more than ok.

I'm sorry but if the fanbase doesn't make noise, nothing changes.

You are right the priority should always be the driving physics model. I'd never complain about it because they do such a good job. But are the people who build the physics model necessarily the same as those doing the sound? Not sure why we have to accept less than the best in some circumstance because they nail the physics consistently?

It depends of which more are you using. Forza 4 has special Simulation setting which is the ultimate driving sensation of FM4 (especially with the wheel in 900-mode) but sadly, noone uses it.

:/

That's not true but short of making your own lobby it's not easy to find fair races that enforce the use of Simulation steering.

T10 shouldn't have given to option to choose.

Have to say the work PD have put into the suspension has really paid off, it looks fantastic.

In part 2 at 0:20 he says the curbs are extremely high and should be avoided but the cars are still driving over them. The GT's Nordschleife only major flaw is that the curbs are too harmless imho. I remember trying to drive over a curb in the rFactor version and it killed me because I was so used to the curbs in GT. Just an anecdote...

Dead Man

LOL, you mean they are showing what is important to you, unless you get to decide who is a fan as well.

prarts

With each new GT6 footage I`m closer and closer to thinking about upgrade to the T500RS. G27 won't do the justice to the new physics engine I`m afraid.

Or are there any words about new GT branded wheel being developed with PS4 in mind?

With each new GT6 footage I`m closer and closer to thinking about upgrade to the T500RS. G27 won't do the justice to the new physics engine I`m afraid.

Or are there any words about new GT branded wheel being developed with PS4 in mind?

Of course it will be fine, many PC sim racers use G25/27 and swear by them, in some ways they are superior to belt driven wheel but feel a bit rougher.

GT6 sound won't be any different from GT5s. Improvements will be minor. Better accept it now and move on.

No word on that, but it's likely that they will. What will be interesting is to see who makes that wheel. Logitech backed out of the console market, but GT Wheels were always a big seller for them and they're compatible with PC's (which is the market the still support).

Kaze13

The models were certainly created with the intention of damage, it was always the plan, hence being made out of individually modelled sections. But the fact is we never even saw those crumple and scratch effects until the game was out, we saw dozens of demos and outside of the rally cars there had been no indication of damage. The rally cars were shown at GDC 09 with doors and bonnets swinging off, but we never saw the rest of the damage for almost a year after that. After GT5 had already missed at least two release dates. The intention was always there, but the actual implementation of the physics model felt very rushed together. Hence why the impact physics and crumple effects really don't even work together, and the locational detection is poor.

I'm sorry but if the fanbase doesn't make noise, nothing changes.

You are right the priority should always be the driving physics model. I'd never complain about it because they do such a good job. But are the people who build the physics model necessarily the same as those doing the sound? Not sure why we have to accept less than the best in some circumstance because they nail the physics consistently?

Then direct your thoughts to KY's twitter. Or, at the very least, GTPlanet. It's just so grating to see the same post over and over again from the same person.

prarts

No word on that, but it's likely that they will. What will be interesting is to see who makes that wheel. Logitech backed out of the console market, but GT Wheels were always a big seller for them and they're compatible with PC's (which is the market the still support).

I think that whole Logitech deal is still not clear - they were saying "no more console peripherals" and G27 is also a PC gear. We will see but in either case I think that Logitech is out of the deal - Sony already switched to Thrustmaster for some reason.

Someone ask Kaz about it - will there be a new GT wheel (for gt6@Ps3 or gtwhatever@PS4) or are they considering T500RS a GT wheel for years and generations to come. DFGT lasted from 2007 until T500RS came out in 2011 so it`s is not like that they change it often.

prarts

Of course it will be fine, many PC sim racers use G25/27 and swear by them, in some ways they are superior to belt driven wheel but feel a bit rougher.
G27 is still a great wheel, no doubt about it - but even now, with "dumbed down" GT5 physics T500RS is MUCH better at delivering driving sensations then G27. Imagine what will be the difference by them with the "new&improved" GT6 physics.

Top Bottom