• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Has Been Delisted From PlayStation Store Without Prior Notification

Sony Interactive Entertainment and Polyphony Digital’s sim racing game, Gran Turismo Sport, has been delisted from the PlayStation Store without any prior notification.

On January 1, 2024, Gran Turismo Sport was delisted from the PlayStation Store. This is rather unusual, as the shutdown announcement made no mention of a delisting date or even mention the possibility of it happening. It was mentioned, however, that, starting December 01, 2023, the distribution of purchasable add-on content from the in-game PlayStation Store will cease.
gran-turismo-sport-delisted-scaled.jpeg

As per the Polyphony Digital’s blog post, On January 31, 2024, the online services for Gran Turismo Sport will be discontinued. Following the end of the service date, the use of online features such as Community, Open Lobby, and Sport Mode, as well as items like custom liveries, will no longer be possible. However, the offline components of the game, along with any purchased Add-Ons, will remain playable.
However, it turns out that the game has been delisted from the PlayStation Store altogether, and it’s not just the in-game store that is no longer available. This will come as a huge disappointment for game preservationists, as it is no longer possible to purchase a digital copy of Gran Turismo Sport. Whether this was done due to the possible expiry of certain licenses associated with car manufacturers is unknown at this point. Thankfully, it should still be possible to purchase a physical copy of Gran Turismo Sport for fans who wish to add it to their collection.
Gran Turismo Sport placed a significant emphasis on competitive online racing, endorsed by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA). It served as the platform for the FIA-Certified Gran Turismo Championships. At launch, the game featured 168 cars and 29 tracks. Subsequent game updates, as of July 2021, increased the car count to 338 and track configurations to 82. Free updates also introduced a more traditional single-player campaign mode.

FUBARx89

That's why physical games matter.

Isn't GT Sport always online and you can't do much without the servers? Cause having a physical copy ain't gonna really matter.

Disregard that. I didn't read the changes so ya could do tracks offline.

My Overwatch 1 disc has been pointless since they shit canned it for Overwatch 2. My Destiny 2 disc is pointless since they pretty much deleted everything from the disc.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Makes sence to remove it earlier in case someone buys it just before the online services shutdown.

I'm glad they made the effort to make it somewhat playable once that happens. Ubishit should take notes.

I mean...you have GT7 literally on PS4 as well. If you acquired GT Sport before, you can play the offline content as well if you wish for apparently.

But let's face it...the offline content is better on GT7 anyway, specially after the 2.0 update so if anyone out there is looking for a Gran Turismo game, 7 is a much better experience.

jm89

Could be to avoid licensing issues. Could be to avoid ill will from people buying it and getting an offline only game while expecting more. Could be to funnel all sakes to newer game.
I'll be surprised if it was licensing issues.

GT sports entire car roster is just a subset of GT7s car roster, so they should have the license for them anyway.

Probably a combination of the latter, preventing people buying a game missing a core mode and get people to move onto gt7.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
It's a good thing there were physical copies sold. The delisting will make them that much more valuable for GT diehards.

VitoNotVito

Isn't GT Sport always online and you can't do much without the servers? Cause having a physical copy ain't gonna really matter.

Disregard that. I didn't read the changes so ya could do tracks offline.

My Overwatch 1 disc has been pointless since they shit canned it for Overwatch 2. My Destiny 2 disc is pointless since they pretty much deleted everything from the disc.
Isn't Overwatch an...online game?
It's like buying Warzone on disc...

squarealex

I dont like GT7 even is technically better.

But the mood of GT Sport was better. "Less is better" philosophy and nice menu music mood.

Music on GT7 is awful bad, no carreer, always wining a cars for nothing... yeah, no thanks

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with clone threads. I wish people would do them more instead of being insecure about the 5 people that complain about them.
I'll keep posting them especially when it's news pertaining to the interests of this forum. That said, it sometimes annoys me that a few select people who don't even contribute with anything noteworthy on this forum have to whine about "clone threads". If you don't like the thread either ignore the post itself or the thread poster lol.

Didn’t they announce support of this game was going away? Of course it would be delisted, you can’t continue to sell a game with an online focus that isn’t supported anymore. People would buy a broken game and complain. Did anyone expect anything different than this?

Scotty W

Gold Member
I wasn’t playing it, and I wasn’t gonna play it, what angers me is that I am not able to play it. You can bet I am damn angry at this affront to my omnipotence.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

-Jim "champ" Ryan.

blue velvet

gran-turismo-sport-delisted-scaled.jpeg

Without? PD announced as early as September last year that they will shutdown GTSport by January of 2024. The main features of the game is not gonna be accessible so there isn't really any point of listing it on their store or they might get a lot of complaints from buyers. Both GT5 and GT6 were shut down less than a year after the release of their new game, Sport lasted 2 years. It sold almost 13m copies, a huge success despite being a multiplayer focused game.

Klosshufvud

Despite being one of the most popular PS4 games by Sony, they still shut down the servers. DESPITE charging its 40 million online users $60 a year, they still can't keep a cheap matchmaking server up. Console gaming is just a scam. You have no power over your purchases. It's all entirely a seller's market. Sony's online games have the shittiest longevity.

NickFire

Despite being one of the most popular PS4 games by Sony, they still shut down the servers. DESPITE charging its 40 million online users $60 a year, they still can't keep a cheap matchmaking server up. Console gaming is just a scam. You have no power over your purchases. It's all entirely a seller's market. Sony's online games have the shittiest longevity.
Now it’s 80 a year for essential. Makes your argument even stronger. I don’t care if they want to delist it. But for what they charge for online I agree with you on that point.

The game is barely six years old. What kind of deal did Sony get in terms of licensing? It's quite pathetic.
Forza Motorsport 7 got delisted in less than 4 years without having a successor...which came out 2 years later. GTS has nothing that GT7 doesnt already. It was soley focused on online play and GT7 has that and much much more.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

"ThAt's wHy pHySiCaL GaMeS MaTtEr"

It's a 7-year-old largely online-only game with a successor that retains pretty much everything that it consisted of.

I'm convinced people will find anything to complain about.
I don't have any skin in the game here but it's silly to act like this isn't overall a bad thing. I'm not saying other publishers don't do it as well. I love to go back and play games of yesteryear just to get a glimpse of what made it special or to compare to other contemporary games. It's a bad thing anytime a game is delisted.

"ThAt's wHy pHySiCaL GaMeS MaTtEr"

It's a 7-year-old largely online-only game with a successor that retains pretty much everything that it consisted of.

I'm convinced people will find anything to complain about.
And the ones that complain probably never even played the game, just this hype train to hate on developers or SONY why they remove a game.

I don't have any skin in the game here but it's silly to act like this isn't overall a bad thing. I'm not saying other publishers don't do it as well. I love to go back and play games of yesteryear just to get a glimpse of what made it special or to compare to other contemporary games. It's a bad thing anytime a game is delisted.

Its delisted on the online store. Nothing is stopping you getting a used copy online and play it if you want. People need to stop pretending that if a digital release is delisted, its as if a game doesnt exist anymore. Go to gamestop, craiglist, ebay, facebook groups and get your copy then. BUT this is an online only GT that GT7 already has ALL the tracks and ALL the same cars and ALL the license tests and more. After GT7, this game is redundant, its not like it was a mainline title.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Its delisted on the online store. Nothing is stopping you getting a used copy online and play it if you want. People need to stop pretending that if a digital release is delisted, its as if a game doesnt exist anymore. Go to gamestop, craiglist, ebay, facebook groups and get your copy then. BUT this is an online only GT that GT7 already has ALL the tracks and ALL the same cars and ALL the license tests and more. After GT7, this game is redundant, its not like it was a mainline title.
Nice strawman. No one is pretending it is impossible to acquire. It is all of a sudden more difficult. Eventually you have less availability which leads to inflated prices and you better hope you have a disc drive or hold on to your ps4 or ps5 disc model.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Delisting is routine and not a 'big' surprise, but delisting without any notification is a dick move.

Especially in this genre, everything gets licensed for a specific period of time. Probably not worth the $ for them to extend things when a newer version is around.

demigod

Fuck Sony and their shitty servers. Why can’t they do it like Steam is beyond me. Left 4 Dead servers are still up.

Klosshufvud

Fuck Sony and their shitty servers. Why can’t they do it like Steam is beyond me. Left 4 Dead servers are still up.
CS 1.6 servers are still up. A game older than 20 years. Yet I'm somehow supposed to believe poor multi-billion dollar Sony HAD TO shut down the servers despite charging its users annually to "support" their servers as claimed. Some of the replies in this thread is proof enough why these corpos can treat us like gullible idiots.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Forza 7 was delisted before 8 was even announced. Car and track licensing sucks a lot and there is no reason to pay the fees for two games, one of which is deprecated anyway. For tracks and some cars there are yearly fees, not a fixed amount too.

Honestly, 6 years before delisting is kinda generous for the genre, especially when there’s fully featured successors with basically the same content and on the same platform.

It’s not about server fees, it’s about real cars and tracks. Always was and always will be.

Last edited:

demigod

Forza 7 was delisted before 8 was even announced. Car and track licensing sucks a lot and there is no reason to pay the fees for two games, one of which is deprecated anyway. For tracks and some cars there are yearly fees, not a fixed amount too.

Honestly, 6 years before delisting is kinda generous for the genre, especially when there’s fully featured successors with basically the same content and on the same platform.

It’s not about server fees, it’s about real cars and tracks. Always was and always will be.
Not true. There are a lot of Sony online games where they killed the servers.

Futaleufu

Forza 7 also had licenses like Top Gear and Fast & Furious. And I doubt they got the former for Chris Harris although he was good in it.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Forza 7 also had licenses like Top Gear and Fast & Furious. And I doubt they got the former for Chris Harris although he was good in it.
Car companies are not the most reliable partners too in this regard. Lotus, for example, went nuts with licensing at some point. Spa was a monumental pain to license. Etc.

Top Bottom