• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Gran Turismo Sport’ To End of Online Services

Draugoth

Gold Member
Originally released in 2017 for the PlayStation 4, Polyphony Digital has just announced that Gran Turismo Sport will have its online services officially closed from January 31, 2024. A little before that, on December 1, 2023, Gran Turismo's DLCs Turismo Sport will also no longer be sold on the PlayStation Store.

The online services of the PlayStation®4-exclusive software 'Gran Turismo Sport' will come to an end on 31 January 2024 at 06:00 UTC. Prior to this on 1 December 2023, we will also end the sale of purchasable Downloadable Content from the PlayStation™Store.

After the end of service date, it will no longer be possible to utilise online services such as the Community, Open Lobby, and the Sport mode, nor online features/items such as custom liveries. The offline portions of the game can still be played, including all previously purchased Downloadable Content.

We would like to thank the many users of the Gran Turismo Sport online service since its first launch in 2017. From here on, we will continue to further improve the online services for the currently available title 'Gran Turismo 7' on PlayStation®4 system and PlayStation®5 console.

What happens to my 'Garage' cars and my Career progression?​

All existing cars and personalised Car Settings kept in Garage will be accessible. Gameplay progression required as normal to unlock additional cars and items.

What happens to my liveries after online services end on 31 January 2024?​

As Discover requires an online connection, it will no longer be possible to access custom liveries of vehicles, helmets, or racing suits.

Would I be able access all the world circuits?​

Yes, all world circuits will be accessible. Gameplay progression required as normal to unlock selected tracks.

Can I still purchase Downloadable Content from the PlayStation™Store?​

You will no longer be able to purchase Downloadable Content including vehicles, Scapes Content Pack, and Lewis Hamilton Time Trial Challenge from the PlayStation™Store starting on 1 December 2023. All content purchased prior to 1 December 2023 will be accessible after the end of online service.

Are there any in-game items or features I won’t be able to save or access after the end of online services on 31 January 2024?​

• Online Services: It will no longer be possible to utilise online services features such as Community, Open Lobby, Quick Match, and Seasonal Events;
• Mileage Store: It will no longer be possible to purchase items from Mileage Store.
• Trophies: Selected Trophies that require an online connection will no longer be accessible.
• Garage Car Liveries - It will not be possible to access custom liveries once the online service ends. All vehicles with applied liveries will return to their original colour.
Back to the List

Ozriel

M$FT
GT Sport came out 6 years ago. They don't need to offer a discount to people who haven't purchased GT7.

They increased price for PS Plus. It should be a reasonable assumption that they’d support online for buyers for a longer period.

I’m not even sure the relevance of citing its released date, since it was the most up to date GT in stores until March 2022. People bought the game 2 years ago.

Unknown?

They increased price for PS Plus. It should be a reasonable assumption that they’d support online for buyers for a longer period.

I’m not even sure the relevance of citing its released date, since it was the most up to date GT in stores until March 2022. People bought the game 2 years ago.
They knew a newer one was coming out for a year though and GT7 can be purchased on PS4. If it was PS5 only, yeah, that'd be a dick move. Still, should be a little longer IMO.

GHG

Considering that GT Sport was based mostly on the online racing, this basically marks the end of a major portion of the game.

Kind of sucks, they should offer GT7 at a discount to anyone who purchased Sport and hasn't upgraded yet

It doesn't kind of suck, it does suck.

This was actually my favourite GT game because of the online racing and it's silly they are not keeping the servers up, even if it's just for lobbies and the livery/photo sharing aspects.

Don't play this series anymore because I've since moved on to the PC sims but this is something they need to do better at considering people are paying monthly for PS+ and they are raising prices.

FeralEcho

GT Sport came out 6 years ago. They don't need to offer a discount to people who haven't purchased GT7.
If your fucking game costs 60 dollars and it requires online to play any mode and you end online for that game a measly 6 years after launch rendering it unplayable then yes you should offer a fucking discount on the new one or some compensation.It ain't my fault Sony is too fucking cheap to buy some servers and maintain them.Microsoft has servers that they maintain for 15 years,only Sony seems incapable of preserving the online of their games for more than 5-6 years which is pathetic.Who the fuck will invest in a gaas project with this shit company when they can't maintain their servers for even half of the proposed "service" of a game which is usually 10 years....hey Sony,people aint renting your fucking game when they click buy on the product.Shit like this is why online only requirements in gaming has to die.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The best and most revolutionary Gran Turismo. But haters gonna hate.
Nah. GT4 is still the king. Purely because of the fact it doesn't need to be online to work, but also the campaign, aesthetics, and general gameplay which still feels good years later.

I wish we got a singleplayer campaign anywhere close to what GT3 and GT4 offered, in the newer games.
hey Sony,people aint renting your fucking game when they click buy on the product.Shit like this is why online only requirements in gaming has to die.
Give it a couple years, you'll see a fan server project a la Wiimmfi for jailbroken PS4/PS5s. When corporations fuck up the fans are always there to pick up the slack.

Last edited:
If your fucking game costs 60 dollars and it requires online to play any mode and you end online for that game a measly 6 years after launch rendering it unplayable then yes you should offer a fucking discount on the new one or some compensation.It ain't my fault Sony is too fucking cheap to buy some servers and maintain them.Microsoft has servers that they maintain for 15 years,only Sony seems incapable of preserving the online of their games for more than 5-6 years which is pathetic.Who the fuck will invest in a gaas project with this shit company when they can't maintain their servers for even half of the proposed "service" of a game which is usually 10 years....hey Sony,people aint renting your fucking game when they click buy on the product.Shit like this is why online only requirements in gaming has to die.
Well said and 100% truth. The fact some people would try to defend these shitshow practices by Sony is beyond me. Some people are just to blinded by their brand loyalty to think rationally.

GHG

cymWcHd.jpg

Y1JyxcS.jpg

End of an era.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

2 years ago? For 20 dollars or less..? Some of you are truly entitled.

Then don't buy it...

tmlDan

I agree with you in some way but the PS Plus increase has nothing to do with this lol

Elysium44

Banned
I can't quote ManaByte ManaByte for some reason but suffice to say, the part which says you can play the offline portion of the game doesn't answer the question because what does it mean? We always could play the 'offline portion' offline - but it didn't include the offline career.

A.Romero

Dude, no subscription is $10 a year.

Gamepass for PC is very close to that in my country I think.

I know but also no game holds it's value 7 years but whatever. Really my point is that if they are going to do this kind of stuff I rather pay a sub.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So basically the game becomes unplayable. This is 100% why always online requirnents need to go away. Its sad to think, in ten years if I want to boot up gt7 like I can gt4 that I will only have that stupid fucking music mode if im lucky
I love DRM.
It's not that the game is unplayable, or there's a DRM that prevents you from playing the game. the singleplayer events are still open. It's that the game had a heavy multiplayer skew and was all about online, competitive racing. So 80% of what made the game worth is is basically gone. It's the fate of an online game without dedicated servers that anyone can host.

Look at Quake. People still play that game because all you need for online is a computer that can create a server. There's no server in ID's offices you have to connect to, you can host one by yourself. If GT Sport let you do this,they'd never need to shut jack shit down because anyone with a PS4 can play. But because everything's on a central server, you're kinda fucked, here.

I'm pretty sure it works the same way for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, too. Since the game is P2P, you can still even play the old ass Wii U version online despite Nintendo basically abandoning anything that has to do with the Wii U.

Last edited:

GHG

Gamepass for PC is very close to that in my country I think.

I know but also no game holds it's value 7 years but whatever. Really my point is that if they are going to do this kind of stuff I rather pay a sub.

Where do you live? It's not that cheap anywhere in the world.

And regardless, for the vast majority of people it's more like $10 a month, not $10 a year. Because it's an online game (as far as consoles are concerned) there's still an additional cost. So there's no equation you can come up with where it matches up with what you said.

Turkish ps essential tier was.

There's a reason for that - their currency is in the toilet.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Where do you live? It's not that cheap anywhere in the world.

And regardless, for the vast majority of people it's more like $10 a month, not $10 a year. Because it's an online game (as far as consoles are concerned) there's still an additional cost. So there's no equation you can come up with where it matches up with what you said.

There's a reason for that - their currency is in the toilet.

Yes, monthly. I'm in Mexico, I pay like 12 I think for Gamepass for PC only.

Also, Sony charges for the online game separatedly.

60 dollars? How long was the game 60 dollars for? This pretty quickly dropped to 40 and then 20 and then sub 20... I feel like you guys love to find something to complain about when it's easier to just not buy it if you don't like it. I can't count the number of games that I don't buy...

And this is why Always Online/GAAS design is a cancer to the industry. I can still play GT 1, 2, 3, and 4 with zero issues all complete on disk.
When was the last time you fired up GT2?

Aenima

If your fucking game costs 60 dollars and it requires online to play any mode and you end online for that game a measly 6 years after launch rendering it unplayable then yes you should offer a fucking discount on the new one or some compensation.
If you read what they shuting down you will see the carrer mode, garage, etc, will all still be playable offline. They just turning off online races, comunity stuff that required online, liveries, etc.

Any gaas game or online focused game will have the same or worse fate.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
60 dollars? How long was the game 60 dollars for? This pretty quickly dropped to 40 and then 20 and then sub 20... I feel like you guys love to find something to complain about when it's easier to just not buy it if you don't like it. I can't count the number of games that I don't buy...

a 2 disc game still has 2 disks IN YOUR HOUSE. Not on someone else's server.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Last month. I still play GT4 weekly.

The better question is, why are you trying to defend always online/GAAS design?

Goliath77

Uummm
It's not that the game is unplayable, or there's a DRM that prevents you from playing the game. the singleplayer events are still open. It's that the game had a heavy multiplayer skew and was all about online, competitive racing. So 80% of what made the game worth is is basically gone. It's the fate of an online game without dedicated servers that anyone can host.

Look at Quake. People still play that game because all you need for online is a computer that can create a server. There's no server in ID's offices you have to connect to, you can host one by yourself. If GT Sport let you do this,they'd never need to shut jack shit down because anyone with a PS4 can play. But because everything's on a central server, you're kinda fucked, here.

I'm pretty sure it works the same way for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, too. Since the game is P2P, you can still even play the old ass Wii U version online despite Nintendo basically abandoning anything that has to do with the Wii

Ummm no, last I checked for gt7, when the servers are offline all content is locked, single player races included. The only option open to play is music rally.

Edit - but this is for gt sport so maybe thats the case, not sure

Last edited:

GHG

Yes, monthly. I'm in Mexico, I pay like 12 I think for Gamepass for PC only.

Also, Sony charges for the online game separatedly.

So you pay $12 a month?

Over the course of 7 years that's over $1000 my man. There is no world where that is better value than a one off game purchase (even if that purchase is done at full price). The monthly fee to play online on consoles is mentioned in my previous post.

The only comparable service to what GT Sport offered on PC is iracing and they charge you monthly with no option to purchase anything outright. Yes stuff like LFM exists for ACC and Rfactor 2 but they are not end-to-end, they are external services that you have to set up on your own outside of the game itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom