• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Gran Turismo Sport’ To End of Online Services

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They should offer a discount for a brand new GT because you are playing GTS 6 years later and its getting its servers shut down?
Yeah? it's the least they can do. I wasn't even asking they give it away for free, or cut 50%. i'm simply asking that for people who own Sport, they should slash off a bit of the price from GT7 to sweeten the deal after getting the game's server shut down.

plenty of other publishers do this when delisting their games from storefronts or shutting servers down. It's not an unusual practice.

Last edited:

Rykan

60 dollars? How long was the game 60 dollars for? This pretty quickly dropped to 40 and then 20 and then sub 20... I feel like you guys love to find something to complain about when it's easier to just not buy it if you don't like it. I can't count the number of games that I don't buy...

When was the last time you fired up GT2?
Can you tell me where on the box exactly it said that service will be discontinued soon? Thanks.

Last edited:
The point is that you keep saying "Just don't buy it"when players literally had no idea how long service would last. And yes, 6 years is incredibly short for an online service game.

6 years is more playtime than the vast majority of people put into a game. So please, stop it.

You know going into any online service game that it won't last forever, especially on console.

There's a complete stand in for this in GT7, and it's been available for as little as 40 dollars. People routinely drop more than that on a single dinner, so if that buys you another 5-6 years that's extremely good value.

Your expectations seem entirely out of whack.

Rykan

6 years is more playtime than the vast majority of people put into a game. So please, stop it.

You know going into any online service game that it won't last forever, especially on console.

There's a complete stand in for this in GT7, and it's been available for as little as 40 dollars. People routinely drop more than that on a single dinner, so if that buys you another 5-6 years that's extremely good value.

What does playtime have to do with anything? That's completely unrelated.

I don't get why you're acting like shutting down a game just 6 years after its release is a normal thing. Most multiplayer games keep their servers running for much longer than that. Think about games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Halo, Destiny and even racing games like Need for Speed and Forza Motorsport/Horizon – they tend to keep their servers up for way longer.

The only exceptions are usually games that have very few players left or sports games. And even with sports games, they often release several new versions before shutting down an older one.

It doesn't really make a difference if GT7 is on sale for $40 sometimes. The regular price is $70, and it's pretty ridiculous to shut down a live service game this early, especially when it's a first-party title.

Last edited:

sachos

The same will happen to GT7 and with that server closure the awesome single player campaign will be lost forever. But we have good internet right guys? Guys???!11

bender

What time is it?
Here is player count data for the Sport mode for those interested.

6 years is soon?

Where on the box did it say that servers would run for the rest of time?

I guess the question I would ask is, "what is the cost of keeping the servers up?". It looks like the game still has about 10K active Sport users per week (440K total users in the past week) and with the PS5 being backwards compatible, it's not a huge ask to keep online services available for longer as sunsetting a platform no longer sunsets the library of that platform. And I'd counter your questions with: What is too soon? Everybody's Golf servers got shut down after 5 years and unlike GT, it doesn't have a sequel that players can migrate too. Further, people are paying for access to an online service which just had price hikes. An argument could be made about the userbase shrinking to an extent that keep the online servers online just doesn't make much sense. Maybe Everybody's Golf fit that criteria but if GTS does, that criteria needs some rethinking.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here is player count data for the Sport mode for those interested.

I guess the question I would ask is, "what is the cost of keeping the servers up?". It looks like the game still has about 10K active Sport users per week (440K total users in the past week) and with the PS5 being backwards compatible, it's not a huge ask to keep online services available for longer as sunsetting a platform no longer sunsets the library of that platform. And I'd counter your questions with: What is too soon? Everybody's Golf servers got shut down after 5 years and unlike GT, it doesn't have a sequel that players can migrate too. Further, people are paying for access to an online service which just had price hikes. An argument could be made about the userbase shrinking to an extent that keep the online servers online just doesn't make much sense. Maybe Everybody's Golf fit that criteria but if GTS does, that criteria needs some rethinking.
Whats happened is their analytics show those 10,000 users (a pretty decent number) dont spend mtx anymore to cover the server and maintenance costs, so it's time to move them to GT7.

Considering Sony makes about $2B per year profit after all gaming costs, I dont see how they cant send some of that to keep 10,000 users happy.

Hell, if Actvision can keep up World at War MP running with 500 Xbox gamers playing at a time where the only mtx is downloading map packs which every hardcore gamer left probably already has, then anyone can.

Last edited:

Allandor

This is really..
How much can it cost to run a few VMs or docker containers (if they managed to make it a bit future save) on hardware that always gets cheaper to run and gets always updated. Now we have 64 core processors capable of running multiple instances of such Server Code for a lot less money than 6 years ago. And still we see that those little online services (which often is only ala kind of lobby to get the addresses of people that want to play) are getting shut down.
Btw, you can stizplay warcraft 2 online without paying extra to any service, because it is so damn cheap to let those services run.
Only thing that might really cost a bit is security updates. But in a good dev environment that shouldn't cost that much, at least if you designed everything in a good way.

It's not like they don't have the newer game or a newer console ,
If there was no gt7 I would've understood the rage of community but 6 years is plenty of time for a game in my opinion

Drew1440

Sony the day after they release an online game

tenor.gif
We laugh but the MLB games don't have a good online track record, with one of them being shut down after 18 months.
Somebody with knowledge, can you help explain to me why companies always shut down servers of online games like this? It can't be that much money for these companies to keep a product around for their customer base. Are they really trying to save a miniscule amount of money and/or funneling people to a new product or is there more at play?
Security and API changes that require the servers to be up to date mostly. Player population plays a big role, especially if sales of a sucesssor game arn't as much as the previous entry, it's one way to get people to upgrade.

Goalus

I don't get why you're acting like shutting down a game just 6 years after its release is a normal thing.
It is very obvious why he is acting this way in case of this particular game by this particular platform holder.

Really enjoyed Sport despite the hate. Very disappointed to hear Sony dropping support … things aren’t looking all that great at PS right now. Hoping they have a big show with some announcements coming soon

Last edited:

squarealex

For trophy hunter, this is awful.
And 6 years for a game is very short

When Sony decide to release dedicated server? I mean... YOU PAY the online... At least, give Dedicated server...

ShakenG

So everyone who bought the game is now left with nothing?
Not a good look for Sony.
"The offline portions of the game can still be played, including all previously purchased Downloadable Content."

Would I be able access all the world circuits?

"Yes, all world circuits will be accessible. Gameplay progression required as normal to unlock selected tracks."

Sad day, even though GT7 is a proper replacement. And at least they'll make the effort to be able to progress offline.
And you know this how, or is this just an assumption. I highly doubt gt7 will let you play the main campaign offline once the servers are down. Which is something that sucks.
I still put in gt2 and 4 from time to time. Those games are snapshot in time. Cars of that era and graphics and sound of that era. They are still fun to play.

In fact my favorite racing game is Need for speed shift series. I have them on ps3 and have them on pc. They are gt like games, with full damage and a soundtrack with rock music (something we don't get at all now days). I can play both on my steam deck of all things because they are not always online. When Gt7 goes kaput it will be a shell of an experience.. No progression and a limited number of cars means the game is a coaster.
Saying it's playable means nothing if you can't get the actual campaign. Arcade mode is and has always been shit in GT games.

Last edited:

Aenima

And you know this how, or is this just an assumption. I highly doubt gt7 will let you play the main campaign offline once the servers are down. Which is something that sucks.
I still put in gt2 and 4 from time to time. Those games are snapshot in time. Cars of that era and graphics and sound of that era. They are still fun to play.

In fact my favorite racing game is Need for speed shift series. I have them on ps3 and have them on pc. They are gt like games, with full damage and a soundtrack with rock music (something we don't get at all now days). I can play both on my steam deck of all things because they are not always online. When Gt7 goes kaput it will be a shell of an experience.. No progression and a limited number of cars means the game is a coaster.
Saying it's playable means nothing if you can't get the actual campaign. Arcade mode is and has always been shit in GT games.
GT Sport is always online, and they are allowing ppl to keep playing the carreer once they shut down the servers. So if they do that to GT Sport, is easy to assume they will do the same for GT7.

What happens to my 'Garage' cars and my Career progression?​

All existing cars and personalised Car Settings kept in Garage will be accessible. Gameplay progression required as normal to unlock additional cars and items.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I agree on the economics, compared to other things it’s nothing.

But what people don’t like is having payed for something they can’t play anymore.

If Apple would remove 6yo Skull Island from my iTunes account or remove it from the servers I would be pissed even though I only payed maybe $15 for that and don’t know if I want to watch it again.

It’s bad for retro gamers too. Sometimes for whatever reason I go back to old games. All the way back to 80s games. Fast forward into the future and online games from this era might seem to have been erased from the history unless you use piracy and private servers somehow.

Taycan77

Fuuuck, my prediction was only off by a year or so :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Absolutely expected from Sony and PD though. Just like all the clowns that continue to defend the online save feature that makes the single player portion of the game useless once the servers shut down. Have fun with your paperweight of a game.

If you're going to be vitriolic and call people clowns. At least get your facts correct and understand why these titles have an online save.

For starters, GTS will receive a patch to enable single-player progression and give access to campaigns. That is upto 100hrs of content for anyone who wishes to go back and experience it.

Secondly, online saves deter save game manipulation and cheaters. Both for the single-player, but more importantly, online. GTS pioneered clean, public lobby, racing. Before GTS anyone wishing to experience clean, cheat free, racing had to take part in organised leagues. Most of which where on the PC side with often limited playber bases. GTS brought online racing to the masses, enabling people to race against others of equivalent skill level.

No on blinks twice at paying full-price for a single-player action-adventure game with a 20-30hr campaign. As we know from data, most players don't even complete these games. For dedicated GTS players the game has delivered many dozens of hours of single-player content and 6 years worth of competitive online racing. Not to mention additional features like livery creation and photography.

Far and away the best value purchase I ever made on PS4. With GT7 on the same track on PS5 - only even more comprehensive and enjoyable.

Online saves are to stop cheating and game manipulation.

Once GT7's supported lifecyle has ended, much like GTS, it will be patched to enable offline saves.

Last edited:
I agree on the economics, compared to other things it’s nothing.

But what people don’t like is having payed for something they can’t play anymore.

If Apple would remove 6yo Skull Island from my iTunes account or remove it from the servers I would be pissed even though I only payed maybe $15 for that and don’t know if I want to watch it again.

It’s bad for retro gamers too. Sometimes for whatever reason I go back to old games. All the way back to 80s games. Fast forward into the future and online games from this era might seem to have been erased from the history unless you use piracy and private servers somehow.
This is a problem and I have had it happen with apple products. Sword of Fargoal and infinity blade come to mind. Two games that are great but are not playable anymore. Why because apple updates. Single player games don't make them money so they care not. If the devs don't update the games in 2 years apple wipes them off the store. Its crazy.
They already removed all the 32 bit games and wiped a ton of apps. I went to use the irig for guitar and that app was wiped too. Making the hardware adapter useless on my aged ipad.
Apple is the worst of this.

The console makers aren't great either. Sony used to be great at preserving content and backwards compatibility. After ps4 , not so much. Always online is a scourge though.
As someone who also goes back to games from my childhood (1980s) and teen years (early 90s)... all I can say is thankfully pc is friendly for this.

People who defend this probably don't have lives out side of gaming, seriously. I have a wife and family, other hobbies, and outside interests. I get maybe a 3-4 hours tops a week for gaming, with an occasional switch play with on the can, lol... That being said my backlog is humongous and being in my mid 40s, I go back to the start. Also its a moot point either way, driving games are timeless. i can pop in gt2 and have fun. Some are so "only new and only top line graphics" its crazy.

Fredrik

This is a problem and I have had it happen with apple products. Sword of Fargoal and infinity blade come to mind. Two games that are great but are not playable anymore. Why because apple updates. Single player games don't make them money so they care not. If the devs don't update the games in 2 years apple wipes them off the store. Its crazy.
They already removed all the 32 bit games and wiped a ton of apps. I went to use the irig for guitar and that app was wiped too. Making the hardware adapter useless on my aged ipad.
Apple is the worst of this.

The console makers aren't great either. Sony used to be great at preserving content and backwards compatibility. After ps4 , not so much. Always online is a scourge though.
As someone who also goes back to games from my childhood (1980s) and teen years (early 90s)... all I can say is thankfully pc is friendly for this.

People who defend this probably don't have lives out side of gaming, seriously. I have a wife and family, other hobbies, and outside interests. I get maybe a 3-4 hours tops a week for gaming, with an occasional switch play with on the can, lol... That being said my backlog is humongous and being in my mid 40s, I go back to the start. Also its a moot point either way, driving games are timeless. i can pop in gt2 and have fun. Some are so "only new and only top line graphics" its crazy.
Yeah I lost the Infinity Blade games too, and Inotia and a whole bunch of other games. I still have some of them on an old unupdated iPad Air.

Retro gaming in the future is going to be a joke, not only can we lose games with online servers but the games we still have access to will be without even the day 1 patch. Makes you wonder, how could game devs of the past be so sure nothing would break that they could put them on cartridge on a box without any possibilities for patches?

sn0man

And this is why Always Online/GAAS design is a cancer to the industry. I can still play GT 1, 2, 3, and 4 with zero issues all complete on disk.
Further the vast majority of GT5 and GT6 is released on plastic in some form.

The series stops there though, sadly.

Elysium44

Banned
So Will they remove the always online requirement?

Yes.

Thankfully, GT Sport’s single-player modes are still playable offline, including the GT League campaign mode and previously purchased downloadable content.

In other good news, Polyphony Digital has removed GT Sport’s online connection requirement, so you now save campaign progress offline. This bodes well for Gran Turismo 7’s future preservation.

Top Bottom