• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew has been delisted from all digital storefronts | Servers will close on March 31, 2024

Rayderism

Couldn't just have a final patch to make it where people could still play it offline by themselves. No, no, no! Can't have that. That would make far too much sense.

I didn't know if anyone had posted this but Ross aka accursed farms seems to be doing a big campaign around trying to take legal action around companies pulling this shit off. He's had a few videos and updates around it. He seems to be doing a lot of investigation and work into this. Respect that someone is making the effort.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I don't know why, but I really liked the "landmarks" in The Crew. It was the only aspect of the OG Crew that I fully completed. I remember when they did the graphics update, I went around and re-visited all the landmarks again. (ooh, aah)

I know the 2nd Crew really didn't have landmarks, it was more like photographs and was way less interesting. What I remember most about the 2nd Crew was the street signs that pretended to give useful info, but were total BS.

Does the newest Crew game have anything like the landmarks of the first one?

Filben

I didn't know if anyone had posted this but Ross aka accursed farms seems to be doing a big campaign around trying to take legal action around companies pulling this shit off.
The most important thing, however – especially a reminder for those who think it's about a decade old game being taken away – is that he wants legal clarity. This is not about one game, it's not about the "masterpiece" The Crew everyone wants to play now and that is now gone. This is about practices and EULAs we always skip over and always being told that most of the shit listed there isn't legal anways (at least in the EU) but never really tested this in court.

And from a legal point of view it is an interesting case. In everyday language we already say that you don't own a game and don't own the right to play for lifetime but just a unspecified long-term rented license. But is it, though? Is that legal? When does your right of usage expires? A year after purchase? Ten years? As soon as the company says we're shutting down, even if it's day one after purchase? Do they have to provide offline functionally if it's by nature a singleplay game? What does "by nature" even mean, in court, when they say singleplayer is only one component? Is it economically and legally reasonable to enact offline functionallity for a product not generating any money?

Questions we answer with yes or no might be answered quite the opposite from court. But at least then we have answers and can make better educated purchases, which should be the ultimate goal of any consumer protection, fair market and actions in favour for such.

The most important thing, however – especially a reminder for those who think it's about a decade old game being taken away – is that he wants legal clarity. This is not about one game, it's not about the "masterpiece" The Crew everyone wants to play now and that is now gone. This is about practices and EULAs we always skip over and always being told that most of the shit listed there isn't legal anways (at least in the EU) but never really tested this in court.

And from a legal point of view it is an interesting case. In everyday language we already say that you don't own a game and don't own the right to play for lifetime but just a unspecified long-term rented license. But is it, though? Is that legal? When does your right of usage expires? A year after purchase? Ten years? As soon as the company says we're shutting down, even if it's day one after purchase? Do they have to provide offline functionally if it's by nature a singleplay game? What does "by nature" even mean, in court, when they say singleplayer is only one component? Is it economically and legally reasonable to enact offline functionallity for a product not generating any money?

Questions we answer with yes or no might be answered quite the opposite from court. But at least then we have answers and can make better educated purchases, which should be the ultimate goal of any consumer protection, fair market and actions in favour for such.

Yup completely agree. I don't care about the crew but I care about the principle. It would be great if the result is these fuckers need a way to "offline" their games so they are still playable in some capacity.

tvdaXD

If companies stop supporting games like this they should release everything required to run it. Get rid of their stupid DRM/online checks (Especially for singleplayer games) and make it possible to host your own servers.
Watch them suddenly care again if you start hosting your own lol.

nkarafo

Yeah, I mean you've only had 10 years to buy the bloody game.
What a sad take...

What if this was the standard for all single player games?

I wouldn't expect someone who is into retro games, a Saturn fan, Panzer Dragoon avatar and all that shit, defending this. You do understand you would not be able to enjoy all these games today if they were tethered to some server the publisher decided to kill, yes?

I'm not sure why you are defending this. What's the benefit?

Servers don't stay up forever, that's nothing new.
Nothing new for multiplayer only games. But for single player?

Were there already enough single player games that died this way that you think it's normal?

And streaming isn't even the new standard yet, the idea you can't even have control over your single player games is already becoming the norm before that, nice.

Imagine how easy it will be for the publishers in the near future, to sell you the idea that you don't own your stuff and you are only allowed to use something as long as they allow you.

What a sad take...

What if this was the standard for all single player games?

I wouldn't expect someone who is into retro games, a Saturn fan, Panzer Dragoon avatar and all that shit, defending this. You do understand you would not be able to enjoy all these games today if they were tethered to some server the publisher decided to kill, yes?

I'm not sure why you are defending this. What's the benefit?
I'm not a retro fan, sorry to kill a dream. I bought and imported the Saturn on its Japanese 94 launch, the same went for Panzer Dragoon in 95.
I didn't wait 10 years to decide if I wanted to buy and play them, hell I couldn't even wait for the Western versions...

Last edited:

nkarafo

I bought and imported the Saturn on its Japanese 94 launch, the same went for Panzer Dragoon in 95.
I didn't wait 10 years to decide if I wanted to buy and play them, hell I couldn't even wait for the Western versions...
When you bought the game isn't even the argument my dude.

You can still play those games, that's the point. You can hook up that Saturn and play this game if you want.

It doesn't matter if i bought The Crew now and you did it 10 years ago. Neither of us will be able to play it now.

When you bought the game isn't even the argument my dude.

You can still play those games, that's the point. You can hook up that Saturn and play this game if you want.

It doesn't matter if i bought The Crew now and you did it 10 years ago. Neither of us will be able to play it now.
Of course, it is. I didn't need to wait 10 or 20 years to buy Panzer Dragoon. I was there on day 1, well day 3, because of importing.

As for The Crew, was able to play the demo and then the free weekend of the full game. I found the game to be crap, so never bought it. I don't wait 10 years to discover a game, myself. Not in the modern era, where every game is covered and there is a YouTube video of someone playing the game

nkarafo

Of course, it is. I didn't need to wait 10 or 20 years to buy Panzer Dragoon. I was there on day 1, well day 3, because of importing.

As for The Crew, was able to play the demo and then the free weekend of the full game. I found the game to be crap, so never bought it. I don't wait 10 years to discover a game, myself. Not in the modern era, where every game is covered and there is a YouTube video of someone playing the game
I honestly fail to see your point here.

What about younger people who weren't there to buy a game 10 years ago? Or 15? Or 20? Should it be the norm these people won't be able to enjoy older generation games?

But it's not that you can't BUY this anymore, it's that you can't PLAY it even if you own it. Doesn't matter if you bought it 10 years ago or now. You won't be able to PLAY it either way. Can you understand that?

What if the industry decided, hey, Team Andromeda, everything you own that's older than 10 years old is dead now, doesn't exist, you can't have access to it. Not just to buy but also to PLAY. That disc on your shelf and that cartridge are not working anymore. Does that sound reasonable to you? You do know this would be possible if this kind of standard you are defending was there from the start?

But let's apply this to every kind of media. What about music and movies? Let's also make movies and songs that are older than 10 years old disappear, like they never existed. We need to sell more new ones. I know this is not possible because the industry was not built with this standard in mind but you are defending it so you wouldn't mind this was possible, right?

It's not about The Crew, it's about the whole principle. If Ubisoft can do it why not everyone? Why not make this the standard for every piece of media from now on?

I still don't understand why you are defending this. There's nothing here that benefits the consumer, there's only something that takes stuff away from them.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

I don't know why, but I really liked the "landmarks" in The Crew. It was the only aspect of the OG Crew that I fully completed. I remember when they did the graphics update, I went around and re-visited all the landmarks again. (ooh, aah)

I know the 2nd Crew really didn't have landmarks, it was more like photographs and was way less interesting. What I remember most about the 2nd Crew was the street signs that pretended to give useful info, but were total BS.

Does the newest Crew game have anything like the landmarks of the first one?
In the 2nd game you have to take pictures of landmarks or points of interest with a car to get extra points. For example:

47EB8415E3A7EB5E13FCB9F76383756E65056BF1

or

1ADA7441AFEC9D9556F9336119CF6043F52E0F57

Last edited:
I honestly fail to see your point here.

What about younger people who weren't there to buy a game 10 years ago? Or 15? Or 20? Should it be the norm these people won't be able to enjoy older generation games?
That's the way the cookie crumbles. I didn't get to see Cardiff City win the FA Cup, but then, I wasn't around in 1927. I do feel sorry for the youngster's mind who missed on the SEGA Saturn which was the best console ever made or when SEGA were KINGS of the Arcades. But I live for the here and now, not 20 years into the future....

SoloCamo

That's the way the cookie crumbles. I didn't get to see Cardiff City win the FA Cup, but then, I wasn't around in 1927. I do feel sorry for the youngster's mind who missed on the SEGA Saturn which was the best console ever made or when SEGA were KINGS of the Arcades. But I live for the here and now, not 20 years into the future....

Why do you keep comparing moments in history (such as living people) versus data. Data does not expire unless it is wiped out. Physical hardware is the same, unless it fails, you have access- and even when it does fail it can often be repaired / replaced. To be quite frank it's a pretty selfish take, just because you are able to afford tons of games in the here and now doesn't mean a kid growing up can. There are tons of games I would have missed out on completely with this mindset, yet here I am playing 20-30+ year old games I never had to the chance to own simply because I can get the hardware/software still.

Last edited:

nkarafo

You are still completely missing the whole argument. How can you not get this?

Your Cardiff City FA Cup example makes no sense. This was a live event that is impossible to replicate because these events only matter during their duration. But tell me, why did you choose a sports event for your example? Why not a live concert? Is it because you knew my counter argument would be you can still enjoy a live concert if it was recorded since you can still listen to the music?

You don't have to feel sorry for the youngsters missing the Saturn. They can still get one second hand console and enjoy all it's games. Because THEY STILL WORK, lol.

I'm going to repeat myself here because it seems you are trying to play stupid:

The issue is not that you can't buy the game anymore, that's normal, you can't buy most old games, you don't expect every product to be sold forever. The issue is that you can't play it even if you bought it, no matter when you bought it. I know it's not hard to understand the difference, don't try to act like you don't for whatever reason.

Why do you keep comparing moments in history (such as living people) versus data. Data does not expire unless it is wiped out. Physical hardware is the same, unless it fails, you have access- and even when it does fail it can often be repaired / replaced. To be quite frank it's a pretty selfish take, just because you are able to afford tons of games in the here and now doesn't mean a kid growing up can. There are tons of games I would have missed out on completely with this mindset, yet here I am playing 20-30+ year old games I never had to the chance to own simply because I can get the hardware/software still.
Thats bull. You can't help one is born and so will miss out on a lot of stuff, not just gaming. I see this board talk of curves, I grew up in the era of Page 3, those were the days.
And I love this talk of physical, I remember when I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for £33 brand new from Gameplay, can I do that now? How much does an English Panzer Dragoon Saga go for these days?

I'm not a MJR shill. I bought the games and systems when they came out and with regards to SEGA, just held on to them.

You are still completely missing the whole argument. How can you not get this?

Your Cardiff City FA Cup example makes no sense. This was a live event that is impossible to replicate because these events only matter during their duration.

It's not bullshit. Can you replicate playing Space Harrier, OutRun, and AB2 for the 1st time in an Arcade these days? No, they've gone and that was something only us who grew up in the 80's will ever really know what it was like, can one replicate a new SEGA console these days no of course not (waits for the jokes for thank Christ) And since you talk of a LIVE concert I was lucky enough to see Sepultura Chaos AD live tour in 1994. You'll never get that back now, but that was the joy of being into trash metal in the 90's.

I live for today, not for 10 or 20 years down the line.

SoloCamo

That's bull. You can't help one is born and so will miss out on a lot of stuff, not just gaming. I see this board talk of curves, I grew up in the era of Page 3, those were the days.
And I love this talk of physical, I remember when I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for £33 brand new from Gameplay, can I do that now? How much does an English Panzer Dragoon Saga go for these days?

I'm not a MJR shill. I bought the games and systems when they came out and with regards to SEGA, just held on to them.

You are completely missing the point but I'll answer below -

It's not bullshit. Can you replicate playing Space Harrier, OutRun, and AB2 for the 1st time in an Arcade these days? No, they've gone and that was something only us who grew up in the 80's will ever really know what it was like, can one replicate a new SEGA console these days no of course not (waits for the jokes for thank Christ) And since you talk of a LIVE concert I was lucky enough to see Sepultura Chaos AD live tour in 1994. You'll never get that back now, but that was the joy of being into trash metal in the 90's.

Again, you are comparing live experiences to persistent data. Guess what, I can still buy their CD and enjoy it for $10 off Amazon brand new. I don't know how to make any of this more clear. And even if the price was outrageously expensive, it's the fact that it is still available. With delisting from stores the only option is piracy which is not only illegal, but risky. That said, if the game never had online only requirements patched out you are still unable to play it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's not bullshit. Can you replicate playing Space Harrier, OutRun, and AB2 for the 1st time in an Arcade these days? No, they've gone and that was something only us who grew up in the 80's will ever really know what it was like, can one replicate a new SEGA console these days no of course not (waits for the jokes for thank Christ)
You can still play Space Harrier if you want. Working cabinets still exist. Or you can repair/restore one and play it. Or you can play it on some other form because the game still exists and doesn't rely on Sega's will to keep it in existence. Doesn't matter if they don't sell it anymore, the copies they already sold still exist.

Saturn consoles also still exist. The games also still exist. You can even dump the discs before they rot so you can have them in digital form and they can be played in emulators until the Sun explodes. Sega can't just decide they don't exist anymore for everyone. Unless they come to every Saturn owner's house with a hammer and smash every console and discs to pieces and also destroy every hard drive that already hosts the ISOS, these games will still exist and be functional.

That's because these games never relied on some remote server the publisher has full control of. Which would make sense for the multiplayer portion of the game but not for the single player.

And since you talk of a LIVE concert I was lucky enough to see Sepultura Chaos AD live tour in 1994. You'll never get that back now, but that was the joy of being into trash metal in the 90's.

Well no, you can't re-live the same LIVE event, so?

Well, since you can't, let's also delete every old Sepultura album from existence. Maybe they don't want those songs to exist anymore, maybe they can't afford to host them in their servers. So you can't listen to them anymore. The CDs you bought are now non-functional frisbee. Any digital MP3 you have on your phone or flash drive is also non-functional, same with every streaming service. They don't exist anymore. The only way to listen to these songs is humming them by memory in your shower.

That's exactly what Ubisoft is doing.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Delisting it is one thing. Hey, it's their product, if they don't want to sell it anymore, that's their right, dumb or not.

But also making it unplayable for those who already bought it? That's the real bullshit.

Oh I agree completely. Realistically there needs to be legislation to be a bit more pro consumer. If the game is no longer playable due to no fault of the paying customer, than the item needs to be refunded or an alternative method to play said game needs to be provided.

Last edited:
Again, you are comparing live experiences to persistent data. Guess what, I can still buy their CD and enjoy it for $10 off Amazon brand new. I don't know how to make any of this more clear. And even if the price was outrageously expensive, it's the fact that it is still available. With delisting from stores the only option is piracy which is not only illegal, but risky. That said, if the game never had online only requirements patched out you are still unable to play it.
Guess what, you can't see Max and Andreas play live together now, so don't come it on that one . And yeah I can tell the wife and justify that I'm going to spend over £600 on getting Saga and over £400 for Deep Fear.
If most people are honest they'll download the ROM and pay nothing.

Last edited:
You can still play Space Harrier if you want. Working cabinets still exist.

In South Wales? I doubt it , it's hard enough trying to find an Arcade with House Of the Dead Scarlet and unless I missed something any game that has been uploaded to the internet will have a presence even for backups. Far better than hoping for someone to upload an obscure Japanese game that no one played

Well no, you can't re-live the same LIVE event, so?

That's the point, you'll never get back what it was like to play PSO online on the DC and SEGA long since cancelled the servers (please don't use workarounds) The same is true for the day one download DLC content for Ninja Gaiden over LIVE or when playing Chromehounds, when you got those Massive Mech boss battle drops in game LIVE

Last edited:

nkarafo

That's the point, you'll never get back what it was like to play PSO online on the DC and SEGA long since cancelled the servers (please don't use workarounds) The same is true for the day one download DLC content for Ninja Gaiden over LIVE or when playing Chromehounds, when you got those Massive Mech boss battle drops in game LIVE
What are you arguing about? Aren't these multiplayer games/portions of games?

We are not talking about multiplayer games here. it's obvious a multiplayer game or multiplayer portion of a game can't exist forever. At some point players will stop playing if the servers don't close before that.

We are talking about single player stuff. Dark Souls also had multiplayer in it but it doesn't matter if nobody is playing or if the servers are closed. You can still play the game on STEAM, console, offline whatever. You don't need the other players to enjoy it's great single player content. Personally i don't think i ever played it online tbh.

This is what's all about. The Crew is also a single player game with MP features. Closed the server? Fine, i can't play the MP portion, that's reasonable. But why are you also locking the single player with it? Makes no fucking sense.

Last edited:
What are you arguing about? Aren't these multiplayer games/portions of games?

We are not talking about multiplayer games here. it's obvious a multiplayer game or multiplayer portion of a game can't exist forever. At some point players will stop playing if the servers don't close before that.

We are talking about single player stuff. Dark Souls also had multiplayer in it but it doesn't matter if nobody is playing or if the servers are closed. You can still play the game on STEAM, console, offline whatever. You don't need the other players to enjoy it's great single player content. Personally i don't think i ever played it online tbh.

This is what's all about. The Crew is also a single player game with MP features. Closed the server? Fine, i can't play the MP portion, that's reasonable. But why are you also locking the single player with it? Makes no fucking sense.

Of course, they are and it doesn't matter if you own them physically, when the servers are turned off they're useless and it is not just multiplayer games either more and more games are asking you to log into a launcher or even a server before you can play the game even for single player. I was upset that Chromhounds servers were dropped after a couple of years and hated how Crossfire single player mode was dropped after not even a year.

But a game which has been out for 10 years had demo's, free weekend plays? Give me a break.

nkarafo

when the servers are turned off they're useless and it is not just multiplayer games either more and more games are asking you to log into a launcher or even a server before you can play the game even for single player.
And you are OK with that kind or practice? You agree that single player games must stop being functional after enough time has passed?

But a game which has been out for 10 years had demo's, free weekend plays? Give me a break.
What's with the 10 year old time limit?

Are you suggesting every piece of media that's older than 10 years old must sease to exist/stop being functional? Like everything older than that must have some kind of internal switch that makes it not work anymore?

If every game, music file and movie you have in your collection, library, whatever, will cease to be functional tomorrow and there's no way to get it back and you will only be able to use more recent stuff because that's what the companies decided to do, would that sound reasonable to you?

I'm not asking for old stuff to continue be sold. I'm asking for old stuff you already own to still be functional until they break or something. Your own stuff! Try to understand the difference because i don't think you get it still.

Last edited:
And you are OK with that kind or practice? You agree that single player games must stop being functional after enough time has passed?

What's with the 10 year old time limit?

Are you suggesting every piece of media that's older than 10 years old must sease to exist/stop being functional? Like everything older than that must have some kind of internal switch that makes it not work anymore?

If every game, music file and movie you have in your collection, library, whatever, will cease to be functional tomorrow and there's no way to get it back and you will only be able to use more recent stuff because that's what the companies decided to do, would that sound reasonable to you?

I'm not asking for old stuff to continue be sold. I'm asking for old stuff you already own to still be functional until they break or something. Your own stuff! Try to understand the difference because i don't think you get it still.

I'm not happy with single player games asking the user to log into a server or a launcher, but that's the way of the world. I don't like the fact that the world is moving to be a cashless society (I don't like using my card or phone to pay for things, especially when pisssed) but again that's the way the world is going. My other fear going forward in the digital age. Is how MS and SONY IMO will look to limit gift card and subs only from their store font. So, no more cheap top up's using ShopTo or CD Keys.

But I'm not going to worry or look to 'Virtual signalling' over a game that has been out for over 10 years that's looking to be withdrawn from sale, sorry.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I'm not happy with single player games asking the user to log into a server or a launcher, but that's the way of the world.
And yet, you defend this practice for some reason.

But I'm not going to worry or look to 'Virtual signalling' over a game that has been out for over 10 years that's looking to be withdrawn from sale, sorry.
And as always... completely missing the point even though i specifically pointed out plenty of times it's not about the game being sold.

Ans also, you still avoid answering my question.

Last edited:
And yet, you defend this practice for some reason.

And as always... completely missing the point even though i specifically pointed out plenty of times it's not about the game being sold.

Ans also, you still avoid answering my question.
You talk about old. I grew up in the analogue world, but we are now in the digital world. People like you just have to come to terms with it, especially for games and media that will have music and license rights in them. Not that's a new 'thing'. the very 1st version of the Thing
I saw, didn't play Stevie Wonder's track and since you love you bring up my SEGA past. I've lost count of how many versions of Revenge of Shinobi there are thanks to issues over rights :p

dorkimoe

Couldn't just have a final patch to make it where people could still play it offline by themselves. No, no, no! Can't have that. That would make far too much sense.
Thiis is 100% the digital future everyone wanted. This is going to happen to a big game someday and their wont be shit anyone can do about it.

nkarafo

We're in a different age now. Get used to it.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Thiis is 100% the digital future everyone wanted.
True.

and their wont be shit anyone can do about it.
One could never buy anything that has that kind of DRM and speak against it. Try to slow down this shit as much as possible.

Starship Troopers GIF

Or don't do anything, whatever.

What you don't have to do though is shill for the companies who follow these anti anti-consumer practices and try to convince others it's the right thing.

I forget we're in the age of GIF's. Got to love the internet.
But you shouldn't have a problem bro. We live in the age where a company can take away the stuff you own and you seem pretty happy about it. But the age of GIFs bother you?

Lilly Singh Hello GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

Weirdo Youre Weird GIF

But you shouldn't have a problem bro. We live in the age where a company can take away the stuff you own and you seem pretty happy about it. But the age of GIFs bother you?
Bro and GIF's it's like having a chat with a kid. I worry more about cash going completely digital myself and living in an age where even in a so-called democratic and free country .
My GOV can lock the country down , mandate vaccines in order to go work or watch a football match, totally take away your freedom.

There's far more to worry about than a 10 year old game being delisted IMO

Last edited:

Bojji

Can you play my digital game collection? I really doubt it, it depends on how you define ownership

I can if I hack your account.

Aside something like GOG where you can download DRM free files to your PC and make as many copies as you want there is no ownership when it comes to digital distribution.

Epic Game Store, EA Store (App?), MS Store/Xbox store, PS Store, Ubisoft Connect, Steam etc. - they can shut down their services whenever they want to, ban your account, they can take away games from your library and you can't do anything about it.

I have few games bought on PS3 Store (including MGS4 and DS) and I don't have access to them on PS4/PS5. I can buy PS3 no problem and at the moment I can get access to them but what when they shut down PS3 store finally? They already tried in 2021 so it can be shut down at any moment:

This will happen to every digital storefront at some point.

You're on a gaming website.

Yeah it's one of the first world problems but we should at least try to fight for our rights or they will just take it all.

Some people just love being fucked by corporations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom