• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

Dead Man

So, what you are saying is, at least you are implying, the focus should not be the physics. Rather, it should be the sound. Gotcha.

LOL, your reading comprehension is not very good. Not even close to implying that. It is not an either/or situation. The sound is important. The physics are important. They have the resources to make both fantastic. If you feel you need to accept excuses for not having great sound, feel free to.

Kaze13

LOL, your reading comprehension is not very good. Not even close to implying that. It is not an either/or situation. The sound is important. The physics are important. They have the resources to make both fantastic. If you feel you need to accept excuses for not having great sound, feel free to.

Let me ask you a very simple question. What is the most important aspect of a driving simulator? If you can answer that for me, then i'll have sufficient information on how to respond to you.

Denur

Then direct your thoughts to KY's twitter. Or, at the very least, GTPlanet. It's just so grating to see the same post over and over again from the same person.
Great, now I've got this picture in my head of Chuck Norris hopping around in circles, flapping his arms like wings, while screeching: "but the sound, but the sound, but sound". So much for my hero. :(

a5jbjz.gif

That Looks cool.

spwolf

Let me ask you a very simple question. What is the most important aspect of a driving simulator? If you can answer that for me, then i'll have sufficient information on how to respond to you.

it will depend on whats the weakest point of GT6 I guess?

Very much moving target.

amar212

Very much moving target.

I can tell you today, qoute me for the future reference:

- upgraded Standards with no full cockpits
- sound
- no Livery Editor ala Forza
- 2D trees

If you want to find something to exploit, you can always find it. However, it will be more interesting to see how will media and gaming press react to GT6 this time.

Very much moving target.

What matters most for GT6

From a pure simulator standpoint, not a "game";
1.Physics
2.Track and model accuracy
3.Sound

1 looks to have improved, and 2 is only a problem with tracks and cars that use old PS2 assets eg, standards, Trial Mountain. 3. is still a massive short coming and people who say, "shut up and accept it" are just as ridiculous as the people chronically complaining. They still sound awful. These, "improvements" that have been promised since GT3 are miniscule and they are straight up embarrassing from a simulation standpoint.

Considering that GT6 is still a game at the end of the day;
1.Complete career mode overhaul
2.Online features
3.Livery Editor
4.UI and menus
5. Bspec?

Based on the brief "prototype" screen shot of the menu UI, a lot of traditional GT game options seem to be there, hoping to be surprised that 1. comes true but I have been fooled four times before, not getting my hopes up. 2. also has promise, but I remain skeptical until I see it in action with real players, Kaz is the master of crying wolf in the same ways each new GT release. 3. I don't care about, just as long as they removed the paint chip system..so stupid. 4. looks to be improved, never was that bothered by GT5's as they were. 5. Whatever, it will make Amar happy.

nib95

Banned
Agree with all of the above except livery editor. Don't think it's needed, and actually think it cheapens the online experience somewhat, since the majority of designs are pretty sub standard, and simplicity is lost.

Certainly fun to tinker around with though.

Agree with all of the above except livery editor. Don't think it's needed, and actually think it cheapens the online experience somewhat, since the majority of designs are pretty sub standard, and simplicity is lost.

I just want to change the paint color, that is all I need for editing. I was just putting it since it seems to be a big demand from the fans after how much people enjoyed it in Forza. A variety of preset templates that you could change the color scheme on would be fine too. I use Trading Paints for iRacing but I seldom notice anyone's livery other than a single overall color that I keep as a shorthand, like, "oh that is white car behind me". Your racing skill will always impress me way more than how you painted and customized your car, but I understand the appeal.

nib95

Banned
I just want to change the paint color, that is all I need for editing. I was just putting it since it seems to be a big demand from the fans after how much people enjoyed it in Forza. A variety of preset templates that you could change the color scheme on would be fine too. I use Trading Paints for iRacing but I seldom notice anyone's livery other than a single overall color that I keep as a shorthand, like, "oh that is white car behind me". Your racing skill will always impress me way more than how you painted and customized your car, but I understand the appeal.

But you can already change car colours in GT.

But you can already change car colours in GT.

I want to be able to change the color of my car without a mind numbingly dumb paint chip system that is counter intuitive, actually hinders my ability to customize my car, doesn't allow for a preview of the paint color, and doesn't require a series of four dozen clicks to accomplish such a mundane task. I should have clarified. I want a paint system that isn't a pile of shit. That is enough of a livery editor for me. When you have to drop 250K on a new car just to get a fricking paint chip so you can have a few cars you like all the same color, is so god damn dumb. It was that or make secondary PSN accounts and dupe the paint that way but they even ruined that with an update. hahah, oh man all of this is just bringing up so many of the awful and borderline surreal moments of GT5.

nib95

Banned
I want to be able to change the color of my car without a mind numbingly dumb paint chip system that is counter intuitive, actually hinders my ability to customize my car, doesn't allow for a preview of the paint color, and doesn't require a series of four dozen clicks to accomplish such a mundane task. I should have clarified. I want a paint system that isn't a pile of shit. That is enough of a livery editor for me. When you have to drop 250K on a new car just to get a fricking paint chip so you can have a few cars you like all the same color, is so god damn dumb. It was that or make secondary PSN accounts and dupe the paint that way but they even ruined that with an update. hahah, oh man all of this is just bringing up so many of the awful and borderline surreal moments of GT5.

I'm confused, I thought there were colour previews? And pretty sure you don't have to buy a new car either. Just go in to the Auto shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08WeYBuHo5k

Dead Man

As others have said, there is no one thing. If you would be happy with a text based physics simulator, be my guest. A game with 1 car but awesome physics and terrible sounds and terrible graphics is not really my cup of tea. More power to you if you can enjoy such a simple thing.

It needs to have good and rewarding physics, decent graphics (any game post 2006 is fine for me if the didn't have tearing), good sound, interesting car and track list. Miss any of those, and you are not a game I would call great.

Here's an idea though, how about you respond to me based on what I had already posted, without silly questions to try and justify your narrow view of what is important and what should be important?

I'm confused, I thought there were colour previews? And pretty sure you don't have to buy a new car either. Just go in to the Auto shop.

You have to buy a new car to get another copy of the paint chip if you don't have any left. It is ridiculous. And the preview gives you a preview on a generic shape, not on the actual car model. It is one of the stupidest implementations that they could have done.

The preview is always on the generic blob model, not your actual car. Huge difference in the way the paint looks on your vehicle than the phong shaded blob model. You cannot buy a paint chip and every time you paint it uses up a paint chip. So if I want the specific shade of red that Ferrari has, I have to keep buying that Ferrari to get that paint chip. There is no paint chip shop where you can just buy paint, aside from the DLC paint, but you still had to rebuy it with real $ to get multiple copies of those paints.

So, what you are saying is, at least you are implying, the focus should not be the physics. Rather, it should be the sound. Gotcha.

Why can't it be both? Sound is obviously a major part of the experience. To me it's odd to go into such great detail with car models yet neglect to put that same passion into those cars sounding just as real. Polyphony Digital is one of the most respected development teams out there, a team whose premise seems to always be striving for protection. It's not like the hardware is limiting the audio. One can't make the argument that all cars should have 10 million polygons and have 24 cars on the screen at once. That simply isn't possible just yet, the audio is.

I'm sorry if some people can't handle constructive criticism but many of us are real fans who are also striving for the best experience possible.

Emwitus

You wanna know why their wont be a livery editor or if there is it's going to be pretty limited? The lighting engine. I don't think they'll be able to implement it into the photomode and stuff. Like someone said earlier, the paint system and textures are a big part of what makes GT realistic. Implementic a livery system with so many variables may work but it might lose it's "realism" because of all the variables a paint system would bring to it's lighting engine.

Mobius 1

You wanna know why their wont be a livery editor or if there is it's going to be pretty limited? The lighting engine. I don't think they'll be able to implement it into the photomode and stuff. Like someone said earlier, the paint system and textures are a big part of what makes GT realistic. Implementic a livery system with so many variables may work but it might lose it's "realism" because of all the variables a paint system would bring to it's lighting engine.

That, but also because it removes some of the presentation choices from Polyphony's hands. They are very particular about the visual presentation, and honestly most livery editor results in other titles are in dubious taste and quality.

Agree. I don't think there will be a livery editor in GT6 a la Forza 4 either. When Kaz talked about car customization it was said in the same breath as talking about the aero parts and wheels. I think that is all he meant about customization, not full fledged livery editing.

Excuse my ignorance - exactly what is a livery editor?

In game "Photoshop" for your car's paint job.

A livery pron.: /ˈlɪvəri/ is a uniform, insignia or symbol adorning, in a non-military context, a person, an object or a vehicle that denotes a relationship between the wearer of the livery and an individual or corporate body. Often, elements of the heraldry relating to the individual or corporate body feature in the livery. Alternatively, some kind of a personal emblem or badge, or a distinctive colour, is featured.

So more than just the color of the paint.

But their material shaders already make all kinds of paint look good, including a whole load of race cars that are covered in graphics.

Why would user-made liveries change this?

-Amon-

I can tell you today, qoute me for the future reference:

- upgraded Standards with no full cockpits
- sound
- no Livery Editor ala Forza
- 2D trees

If you want to find something to exploit, you can always find it. However, it will be more interesting to see how will media and gaming press react to GT6 this time.

No engine swap !

New footage (credit to CoolColJ from GTplanet)

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/reportages...s-impressions-sur-gran-turismo-6-00112977.htm

Demo showroom

ac0ljk.gif

Although the most important thing to note is that they fixed the paddle shift animation. The driver clicks them with his finger tips while keeping his hands on the wheel instead of taking his hands off to click it like in GT5.

One of the in game shots show what appears to be some snap oversteer from lifting off the throttle. That is good. I felt like TTO was non existent or way too forgiving in GT5. The prototype menu place holders have me concerned. The contents looks all too familiar. But that kind of stuff is way more likely to change between now and release than something like an entire sound overhaul.

Perkel

Banned
Although the most important thing to note is that they fixed the paddle shift animation. The driver clicks them with his finger tips while keeping his hands on the wheel instead of taking his hands off to click it like in GT5.

There was nothing wrong with paddle shift animation.

Some cars have paddles attached to wheel. Which means paddles turn with wheel, which means that players doesn't have to move hand from wheel
Some cars have paddles attached to base of wheel. Which means paddles don't move with wheel. Which means he need to move hand from wheel.

Both have ups and downs.

For drifting stationary paddles are better.
For grip racing moving paddles are better.

But that has nothing to do with the realistic nature of GT5's lighting. If such a design were to be placed on a car in GT5/6, it would look like someone had painted their car with a bad design. It would be rendered just as nicely as all the other cars, it wouldn't suddenly make GT's lighting look bad. If anything, the photorealistic nature of GT's visuals will simply highlight how bad some people's livery designs are. It will make them look bad, not GT.

There was nothing wrong with paddle shift animation.
olol. GT5 has the worst shift animation I've ever seen. I understand the need to differentiate between fixed and rotating paddles, but unfortunately all the cars with fixed shifters were driven by someone who puts his thumbs on the wrong side of the rim.

It looks awful, all the time, not just during shifts.

Emwitus

But that has nothing to do with the realistic nature of GT5's lighting. If such a design were to be placed on a car in GT5/6, it would look like someone had painted their car with a bad design. It would be rendered just as nicely as all the other cars, it wouldn't suddenly make GT's lighting look bad. If anything, the photorealistic nature of GT's visuals will simply highlight how bad some people's livery designs are. It will make them look bad, not GT.

olol. GT5 has the worst shift animation I've ever seen. I understand the need to differentiate between fixed and rotating paddles, but unfortunately all the cars with fixed shifters were driven by someone who puts his thumbs on the wrong side of the rim.

The issue isn't that they shouldn't put the liveries because it will look bad. What we're saying is that based on how "we" think the lighting engine works it might be a lot more difficult for PD to make liveries standard for all their cars than we think it is. If they do, then it wont be available in modes like photo tour etc etc. It's just speculation right now. Hope they prove us wrong though.

Perkel

Banned

lol. What are you talking about ? With fixed paddles you can't put your thumb on wheel when you are racing because wheel is moving. Which means you thumb must be in air at the moment you change gear. Which means it is either straight above side of wheel or i little to paddle side.

What you are talking about is non fixed paddles where your thumbs lie on wheel at the moment you change gears. This may work in fixed position only on straights.

lol. What are you talking about ? With fixed paddles you can't put your thumb on wheel when you are racing because wheel is moving. Which means you thumb must be in air at the moment you change gear. Which means it is either straight above side of wheel or i little to paddle side.

What you are talking about is non fixed paddles where your thumbs lie on wheel at the moment you change gears. This may work in fixed position only on straights.
I have never seen someone drive with their thumbs like this.

GranTurismo5CockpitScreenshotMain.jpg

The driver looks like a goddamn ape gripping the wheel with no opposable thumbs.

The GT5 driver has his thumbs in this position at all times on the fixed paddle-shift cars. It looks ridiculous.

I realise you'd have to remove your thumb from the inside of the rim if you wanted to grab a fixed shifter from awkward position, but that is no reason to keep your thumb on the wrong side of the rim at all times.

velociraptor

In anticipation of GT6, I think I will buy GT5 Academy Edition.

fIjcMAt.jpg

Still haven't completed GT5. D:

Perhaps now after all the updates it is a much improved experience?

nib95

Banned
You have to buy a new car to get another copy of the paint chip if you don't have any left. It is ridiculous. And the preview gives you a preview on a generic shape, not on the actual car model. It is one of the stupidest implementations that they could have done.

That's awful lol. Hope they change it.

New footage (credit to CoolColJ from GTplanet)

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/reportages...s-impressions-sur-gran-turismo-6-00112977.htm

Demo showroom

ac0ljk.gif

Lots of new footage. Looks amazing.

Mobius 1

You are correct. My point is that Polyphony seems to have as much low tolerance for rubbish liveries as I do – they don't want the cars looking anyway other than what they would do themselves.

Think of some premium brand products, and how their presentations are closely controlled. There is no theme support for Mac OSX and iOS. You can't buy a Mercedes-Benz car in bright neon green. Good luck finding a Mondaine Swiss Railway watch that is not white or black.

My point is, it would cheapen the GT brand perception if suddenly screenshots of the game with anime girls painted on a Veyron were to flood the internet.

That's my opinion of it, at least. I could be wrong.

Angst

I have never seen someone drive with their thumbs like this.

GranTurismo5CockpitScreenshotMain.jpg

The driver looks like a goddamn ape gripping the wheel with no opposable thumbs.

The GT5 driver has his thumbs in this position at all times on the fixed paddle-shift cars. It looks ridiculous.

I realise you'd have to remove your thumb from the inside of the rim if you wanted to grab a fixed shifter from awkward position, but that is no reason to keep your thumb on the wrong side of the rim at all times.
All rally drivers drive with their thumbs outside the wheel. You'd too unless you wanted two broken thumbs... I imagine other racing drivers also keep their thumbs like in the gif.

It´s ok to complain, i take this personally because i remember being a huge pain in the ass asking for options to tune down the slipstream effect and also an option to turn off the HUD.

I complained endlessly, and when they included this in an update i felt like "holy shit, they actually listened to me".

Maybe it has nothing to do with me, but maybe it does.

Complaining non stop about something, in a way to improve the game, really helps.

They need to fix the sounds.

Sounds are the new "where´s damage" for the franchise. People will bitch about it until they do something. It´s the next huge bullet point. I mean, improved physics, no more gimped standards, all the relevant tracks... it´s clear that THE next huge step is fixing the sounds.

After that we can move on to the livery thing.

About the sounds, yesterday i was playing with headphones, kind of loud, and i heard sounds from the engine that i had never heard before. Some growling in low RPM´s on the Schulze GTR that are very nice. Just goes to show that they do have some effects in there, it´s just all poorly mixed/balanced.

All rally drivers drive with their thumbs outside the wheel. You'd too unless you wanted two broken thumbs... I imagine other racing drivers also keep their thumbs like in the gif.
That is simply not true. In fact I can't even find a single example of it.

Most seem to have sequential sticks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BbYbboVcADg#t=97s

But here is Loeb with fixed paddles for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7dq3LfkTg

His thumbs wrapped around the wheel like.... a human...

You are correct. My point is that Polyphony seems to have as much low tolerance for rubbish liveries as I do – they don't want the cars looking anyway other than what they would do themselves.

Think of some premium brand products, and how their presentations are closely controlled. There is no theme support for Mac OSX and iOS. You can't buy a Mercedes-Benz car in bright neon green. Good luck finding a Mondaine Swiss Railway watch that is not white or black.

My point is, it would cheapen the GT brand perception if suddenly screenshots of the game with anime girls painted on a Veyron were to flood the internet.

That's my opinion of it, at least. I could be wrong.

There´s an easy way of not having those problems. You can have a livery editor with just sponsor logos/stripes/paints, which would be just to make racing cars liveries. They don´t need to allow for penis liveries or anything damaging to the brands like you mentioned.

It might have more to do with the lighting engine than this, i would guess.

Solal

I don't understand the video with the german driver. Did he drive a real car with GT6 GPS system and then comments on GT6's replay (which would be very impressive)?

Or did he simply play GT6 and then comment the replay? (which still is impressive as the physics seem mindblowing)

Emwitus

That is simply not true. In fact I can't even find a single example of it.

Most seem to have sequential sticks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BbYbboVcADg#t=97s

But here is Loeb with fixed paddles for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7dq3LfkTg

His thumbs wrapped around the wheel like.... a human...

In both those videos they move in and out between the positions shown in GT5 and wrapping their thumb around the wheel..randomly and really fast like any human would. That would be real awkward(and jerky) in the game.

Here is GT5: prologue with the thumb wrapped around the wheel. I'm assuming they found it more aesthetically pleasing to leave the thumb out like that....just like they also removed 900 degree motion shown in the same video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_llR4iCFbQ#t=78s

In both those videos they move in and out between the positions shown in GT5 and wrapping their thumb around the wheel..randomly and really fast like any human would. That would be real awkward(and jerky) in the game.

Here is GT5: prologue with the thumb wrapped around the wheel. I'm assuming they found it more aesthetically pleasing to leave the thumb out like that....just like they also removed 900 degree motion shown in the same video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_llR4iCFbQ#t=78s
Their thumbs are in the wrapped-around-rim position at every opportunity. The Loeb video shows how fast the animation should be for shifting with static paddles. You can barely see his hand move at times - I'd say this animated properly would be far less distracting than the ridiculous-looking and slow-animating GT5 driver. They should simply animate it correctly, no matter how distracting, and have the option to disable the wheel and hands entirely, something I have called for on many occasions.

Top Bottom