• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.31 Details: 120Hz + VRR, New Cars, Events, Track Layouts, Physics Changes, and More

R6Rider

Gold Member
why would you want the non R?
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Because I like the Zonda the most out of their cars. Plus it has many variations.

kyliethicc

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Because I like the Zonda the most out of their cars. Plus it has many variations.
fair enough but the R is faster so I doubt they'll ever add the non R

in general Kaz seems to opt for faster varients, if only 1 varient is added

like how the 2016 911 is the GT3 RS. doubt they ever add the regular 911 991

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I want the new C8 Vet Z06. that engine sounds incredible

nothing sounds better than a naturally aspirated engine with a redline at like 8500-9000 rpm
I want that as well. Glad they added the Stingray, just miffed the spoiler and splitter options are not from the actual Z51 catalog like they have accuracy in other cars. Also, the Z/track mode redline bar in the game is set to pre-500 miles and not to where it should be if you're racing it around. But that is a visual only thing that triggers my OCD.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I was expecting a 120 fps mode based on an old Yamauchi interview about the importance of high framerate.

They are probably going to lower the resolution. It's currently native 4K so I'd say they have some margin.
I hope so but idk. They should offer a locked 120 Hz mode no doubt, but we'll see

Minsc

Gold Member
I hope so but idk. They should offer a locked 120 Hz mode no doubt, but we'll see

I would definitely NOT expect that. They are pretty explicit about mentioning VRR - and the difference is VRR will have the feel of 120 while running at lower. There's literally no drawback to VRR and it gives the devs so much freedom, and if you were buying a TV for this generation of consoles not getting VRR support was a bit of a mistake imo.

But to make the game run at 120 with no dips? That means you need to either have a variable resolution, or have the game basically running at 150+ fps (capped to 120) so that when dips happen it's a dip to 135 or 125, not a dip to 80.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I would definitely NOT expect that. They are pretty explicit about mentioning VRR - and the difference is VRR will have the feel of 120 while running at lower. There's literally no drawback to VRR and it gives the devs so much freedom, and if you were buying a TV for this generation of consoles not getting VRR support was a bit of a mistake imo.

But to make the game run at 120 with no dips? That means you need to either have a variable resolution, or have the game basically running at 150+ fps (capped to 120) so that when dips happen it's a dip to 135 or 125, not a dip to 80.
Its not that serious, a few minor drops wouldn't even be noticed. I just meant an actual 120 Hz mode instead of what it will probably be - the exact same 2160p 60 Hz game running unlocked, probably avergaing like 75 fps.

For GT7 to hit a smooth consistent 120 Hz they'd probably only need to go to 1440p. Hell even only 1080p 120 fps would still be acceptable if thats what it takes. People who want high framrates for online play would probably be happy to trade res for performance.

ManaByte

Gold Member
"All Circuit Experience and License Tests have had their time-of-day settings changed, along with new demonstration laps. As a result, all ranking boards will be reset."

R.3735047ac86629abcd2ab1d11ac4ecff

I want that as well. Glad they added the Stingray, just miffed the spoiler and splitter options are not from the actual Z51 catalog like they have accuracy in other cars. Also, the Z/track mode redline bar in the game is set to pre-500 miles and not to where it should be if you're racing it around. But that is a visual only thing that triggers my OCD.
Yo, they have fixed this last patch. Aren't you the C8 owner irl? Check that out brobro

I think the patch comes with a 1440p 120fps mode... Nenkai said last year that they were testing a 1440p mode, I can't say it's a raytracing mode or better graphics one, it's probably 120fps. Keep an eye on dat

[Sigma]

Oh you know im on this.:messenger_horns: Gives me a reason to turn on my LG C2 even this TV disappoints me in ways. This should be great for it.

John Wick

Who reckons PD are feverishly working on an in-game RT mode in anticipation of the next Forza? 😂
That would probably blow my tiny little mind in VR.
Nah! RT is way too demanding. PD would have to build the game ground up with the latest engines to take advantage of RT without sacrificing too much.
I'm amazed at the support and updates PD have provided. GT7 is doing amazing. The game would be an 94+ easy now IMHO.
Best thing would be for PD to add weather to all tracks and modes. Like Driveclub. Also keep on improving the physics model etc.

vivftp

Nah! RT is way too demanding. PD would have to build the game ground up with the latest engines to take advantage of RT without sacrificing too much.
I'm amazed at the support and updates PD have provided. GT7 is doing amazing. The game would be an 94+ easy now IMHO.
Best thing would be for PD to add weather to all tracks and modes. Like Driveclub. Also keep on improving the physics model etc.

RT is already in the game, just not in the actual races. With the possibility of a PS5 Pro and a PC version of GT7, we could see Polyphony implement RT in races there. We'll have to wait and see if they're able to get any level of RT working on the base PS5 in races as time goes by.

John Wick

RT is already in the game, just not in the actual races. With the possibility of a PS5 Pro and a PC version of GT7, we could see Polyphony implement RT in races there. We'll have to wait and see if they're able to get any level of RT working on the base PS5 in races as time goes by.
Lol! It's in the game but not in the actual races but in the replays. So it's not in the game. Why would they add RT for a hypothetical PS5 Pro if the main console can't handle it? Makes no sense. Better off improving what they can and then build a new engine ground up.

Tommi84

It's in the game but not in the actual races but in the replays. So it's not in the game.
Yes it is. It means the engine used by GT7 is capable of using RT. They just decided NOT to use it during the actual races as it's too taxing for the hardware. Tone the settings down, give more powerful hardware and I bet it'll come to gameplay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yo, they have fixed this last patch. Aren't you the C8 owner irl? Check that out brobro

I think the patch comes with a 1440p 120fps mode... Nenkai said last year that they were testing a 1440p mode, I can't say it's a raytracing mode or better graphics one, it's probably 120fps. Keep an eye on dat
Oh word? I have not used the C8 since a bit after it dropped. That is great to know, thanks!

Kvally

Banned
I am kinda curious if this physics improvement will affect the Corvette C6 in this game as well. I have a C6, and the C6 feels more "weighty" when I drive it compared to the in game one. Also, the steering when actually driving my C6 is more loose than the one in the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whatever this was at launch has been made so much better. Major props and hopefully they can deliver all of this QoL at launch for their next game.

"All Circuit Experience and License Tests have had their time-of-day settings changed, along with new demonstration laps. As a result, all ranking boards will be reset."

R.3735047ac86629abcd2ab1d11ac4ecff

Sounds interesting but considering what a journey it has been to get GOLD on all license tests, highly doubt Id ever return to it. Hopefully they add night time to S-10 for extra nightmare fuel :p

I’m thinking more specific to VR mode - I’m always glancing at cars when they are beside me, so to be able to see a reflection of my own car on theirs would be really cool. I do very much doubt it, but we can dream.
That's what photo mode is for. Most of us wont even notice RT while racing because too much concentration on the actual race, if I want eye candy I can just take. a photo. I dont see a big deal of RT in racing games.

Neo_game

4K 60fps game having 120fps mode is not a big surprise. I hope they are working on 1440P mode on PS5 as well. This game should be have better gfx, not much difference from the Pro version apart from resolution

Last edited:

Outlier

I want the track maker back and midnight/rain on all tracks too.
It's amazing how this game doesn't have day/night/rain on all tracks.
PD being lazy.

Cool update, I guess. My tv is 60hz so VRR is moot and the only real change is the physics model, but a different model doesn't mean the game will be better, so this is all meh to me.

4K 60fps game having 120fps mode is not a big surprise. I hope they are working on 1440P mode on PS5 as well. This game should be have better gfx, not much difference from the Pro version apart from resolution
It’s a cross gen game, it was built primary for the PS4 so of course it’s not going to significantly different on PS5.

cross gen = PS4 game with slight enhancements on PS5.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Update Details (1.31)​

The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced for the latest update to Gran Turismo 7.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following five new cars have been added:
  ・Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19
  ・Mazda 3 X Burgundy Selection '19
  ・Porsche 959 '87 (Available for purchase at Legend Cars beginning March 30)
  ・Porsche Carrera GTS (904) '64 (Available for purchase at Legend Cars beginning March 30)
  ・Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge '18

2. Tracks
 - The following two layouts have been added to the Nürburgring:
  ・Nürburgring Endurance
  ・Nürburgring Sprint

3. World Circuits
 - The following new events have been added to World Circuits:
  ・Nürburgring
   - Japanese 4WD Challenge 600
   - World Touring Cars 800
  ・Kyoto Driving Park
   - Porsche Cup
  ・Tokyo Expressway
   - Japanese 4WD Challenge 600

4. Scapes
 - "Sakura" has been added as a featured Curation in Scapes.

5. Café
 - The following two Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 18: Collection: Toyota Family Cars (Collector Level 28 and above)
  ・Extra Menu No. 19: Collection: Ford GT (Collector Level 44 and above)

- New sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café have been added. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in Garage and speaking with the Characters in the Café:

CAR DESIGNERS (In alphabetical order)
   - Mr. Freeman Thomas
    ・Porsche Spyder Type 550/1500RS '55
    ・Porsche 911 Turbo (930) '81
    ・Porsche 911 RSR (991) '17

- Mr. Fabio Filippini
    ・Ferrari 512 BB '76
    ・Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
    ・Nissan Silvia Q's (S13) '88
    ・Renault Clio V6 24V '00

CHARACTERS
  - Jeremy
    ・Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19
    ・Porsche Carrera GTS (904) '64
    ・Porsche 959 '87

- Stella
    ・Mazda3 X Burgundy Selection '19
    ・Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge '18

6. Display Settings
 - Support for 120 Hz Output and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) have been added.

7. Multiplayer
 - Keyboard Camera Switching Feature has been added to the Lobby races.

8. Sport
 - In the Online Championships, different leagues will have different penalty settings and race regulations. For the 2022/23 Exhibition Series - Season 4, the race schedule for GT2 and GT3 League will feature more entry slots to allow for a wider participation at different times of the day.

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Physics Simulation Model
 - The car physics simulation model has been adjusted.
 - We have adjusted the effect of Traction Control, ABS, Active Stability Management, and Countersteering Assistance in the Assist Settings.
 - We have also changed some of the default settings for the Assist Presets in the Assist Settings as follows:
  ・Intermediate
    Countersteering Assistance: Strong → Weak
    Traction Control: 5 → 3
  ・ Expert
    Countersteering Assistance: Strong → Off

If "Intermediate" or "Expert" was selected prior to the update, the settings will not be overwritten, but the Assist Preset will change to Custom instead.
 - The Performance Points (PP) of some cars have been adjusted.
 - The incorrect display of the toe angle adjustment in Car Settings has been addressed.

2. Legend Cars
 - Legend Cars (Hagerty Collection) prices have been revised based on real-life valuations from Gran Turismo partner, Hagerty.

Hagerty provides valuations and vehicle insurance for classic cars and has sponsors historic car events.

New prices will be applied the next time a vehicle goes on sale. The next price revision is scheduled for June 2023.

- Changed the manufacturer of the CLK-LM '98 from "AMG" to "Mercedes-Benz."

3. World Circuits
 - The target times for all events within the Circuit Experience has been adjusted, and the demonstrations have been updated accordingly. Also, ranking boards for all events have been reset.
 - We have adjusted the settings for the Pickup Truck Race on the following tracks:
  ・ Willow Springs Raceway
  ・ Daytona International Speedway
  ・ Colorado Springs (PP recommended values have changed)
 - We also adjusted the settings for the World Touring Car 600 on the following track:
  ・ Tokyo Expressway
 - An issue in which the Race Shop was not available in some cases at the Meeting Places has been rectified.

4. License Center
 - The target times for all events in the license tests have been adjusted, and the demonstrations have been updated accordingly. Also, all event ranking boards have been reset.

5. Missions
 - We have adjusted the settings for the following events: 
  Rolling Stone
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 1"

Moby Dick
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 2"

Gone with the Wind
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 3"

The Sun Also Rises
   ・Drag Race "0-1000m Acceleration Battle 1"

The Human Comedy
   ・Autopolis One Hour
   ・Kyoto Driving Park One Hour
   ・Deep Forest Raceway One Hour
   ・Alsace One Hour
   ・Lake Maggiore Circuit One Hour

Also, the ranking boards for the above drag races have been reset.

6. Scapes
 - The Avatar driver will now be selected as default when an onboard driver is enabled.

7. Home
 - We addressed an issue in which the online ID was displayed instead of the nickname on the car body during Scapes movies and the VR showroom.

8. Race Display
 - Track Map display to the Pit Menu has been added.

9. Localization
 - We rectified various text localization issues.

10. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

Last edited:

John Wick

Yes it is. It means the engine used by GT7 is capable of using RT. They just decided NOT to use it during the actual races as it's too taxing for the hardware. Tone the settings down, give more powerful hardware and I bet it'll come to gameplay.
Games made years well before GT7 have got RT. It can be patched on many engines years later with far more powerful hardware. So the PS5 GT7 has no RT in game. I don't play replays.

[Sigma]

I couldn't tell any drop in resolution. Looked the same to me lol. I had to set 120hz to "off" in the Gran Turismo 7 options menu to get it work.

Last edited:

T-Barbs

Please note that when you go in the GT7 options menù (display settings), the 120 Hz output must be set to off to actually make it works. Off is on (already enabled by default) and the opposite, on is off, and disable the option.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Please note that when you go in the GT7 options menù (display settings), the 120 Hz output must be set to off to actually make it works. Off is on (already enabled by default) and the opposite, on is off, and disable the option.
I couldn't tell any drop in resolution. Looked the same to me lol. I had to set 120hz to "off" in the Gran Turismo 7 options menu to get it work.

I hope they fix it… this is super confusing.

T-Barbs

I hope they fix it… this is super confusing.
It is and i can imagine how many people will encounter issues managing this, on top of their PS5 and TV settings.

Anyway, i can confirm this option is just amazing! Obviously it must be used togheter with prioritize frame rate, but the gain in having a realistic sense of speed is just great. It appears more evident in fast circuits like Monza or La Sarthe tho. And not only that...also controls and inputs improve quite a lot.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Just tried this out, of course the reds takes a huge dip but the overall presentation is still fantastic and IQ is decent.

It doesn’t matter what res your at the details and quality of models etc is unrivalled.

Think I’ll stick to this mode.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just tried this out, of course the reds takes a huge dip but the overall presentation is still fantastic and IQ is decent.

It doesn’t matter what res your at the details and quality of models etc is unrivalled.

Think I’ll stick to this mode.
Why reds take a dip?

Top Bottom