• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.31 Details: 120Hz + VRR, New Cars, Events, Track Layouts, Physics Changes, and More

Filben

I always found the suspension model to be spot on; the weight transfer in this game feels so good and authentic it out-matches some other sims in that regard. The tyre model already felt kind of (too) forgiving but visually it was also top-notch with visibly slipping tyre tread under load.

Overall a huge update. Will definitely go at it again.

Unknown?

It's amazing how this game doesn't have day/night/rain on all tracks.
PD being lazy.

Cool update, I guess. My tv is 60hz so VRR is moot and the only real change is the physics model, but a different model doesn't mean the game will be better, so this is all meh to me.
Wtf... An improved physics model does not make the game better?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
What the hell, why did they reset the leaderboards? In GTS if I remember right this was to correct track limits, but there it's bs.

ShakenG

Im definitely liking the new physics model. Ive also noticed the game has some odd stutters.. not sure why. Apparently vrr irons it out. Could be related to the new physics model.. who knows.

No Gr.2 event is a bummer. They added rain to the controller vibration, feels heavier the faster you go. Cant say if it will annoy me in the long run 🤷‍♂️

A lot of nice tweaks.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I made a small comparison between both modes (60 vs 120). There are some visual downgrades and the image quality takes a big dip. Also there are lots of trees and object pop in in 120fps mode. It still looks decent but im gonna stick to the already great 4K60 mode.
GT7-120.jpg

GT7-120-1.jpg

All modes detailed.

• Raytracing/Resolution + 120hz: Runs at a little less than Native 4K, stays at 120fps if on Time Trial, with a lot of cars and rain it will hover between 80-90. Raytracing is OFF on the replays, but ON in the garage and showcase features. Great feature this.
  • Raytracing/Resolution + 120hz OFF: Runs at Native 4K and 60fps, the same as before, but now has VRR on. This mode has the best IQ and looks amazing on the C1. This is the same GT7 as before but with VRR. Raytracing runs at 30fps, replays and garages.
  • Framerate + 120hz: Runs at 1440p, almost locked 120fps in all modes. Time Trial is locked 120fps. Has much more shimmering and small details on the cars are less resolved. Seems like it has more pop-in per Turk1993 above
  • Framerate + 120hz OFF: 4K60 and no raytracing. Same as before but with VRR.

I forgot one thing. Reflections when you are playing on cockpit view are running at half-rate since launch. This means that on the Raytracing/Resolution mode, with 120hz turned on you get faster reflections which look much better than the regular 4K60 modes. I've tested it at Tokyo with the Dodge Viper, which shows you a lot of reflections, they look much smoother.

Last edited:

flying_sq

The amount of effort the dev puts into this game almost makes me want to get a PS5. This the one game I want to come to PC. Hopefully the new Forza will be good.

//DEVIL//

I made a small comparison between both modes (60 vs 120). There are some visual downgrades and the image quality takes a big dip. Also there are lots of trees and object pop in in 120fps mode. It still looks decent but im gonna stick to the already great 4K60 mode.
GT7-120.jpg

GT7-120-1.jpg
Yeah I noticed a downgrade in visual as well. especially the aliasing problem . problem due to the lower resolution on my 4k monitor.

on a second hand, I have a question about this game. I recently bought it used and I am trying to play it.

I did all the licensing. however on the world circuit. there is only one race each circuit ( I think the second has 2 but I couldn't finish it. its 5 laps and it has 2 spices on it I am assuming it means Its hard. but no matter what I couldn't finish it ) anyway. my problem is I finished the other races ( one race per circuit ) and yet nothing is opening up. I cant play any more circuits. is there a campaign mode I can go to or what exactly ? how do we get going with this game ?

its not possible I have to finish that spicy hard circuit in order to continue playing. if that's the case might as well sell the game because I tried so many times and just no way to win.

kyliethicc

All modes detailed.

• Raytracing/Resolution + 120hz: Runs at a little less than Native 4K, stays at 120fps if on Time Trial, with a lot of cars and rain it will hover between 80-90. Raytracing is OFF on the replays, but ON in the garage and showcase features. Great feature this.
  • Raytracing/Resolution + 120hz OFF: Runs at Native 4K and 60fps, the same as before, but now has VRR on. This mode has the best IQ and looks amazing on the C1. This is the same GT7 as before but with VRR. Raytracing runs at 30fps, replays and garages.
  • Framerate + 120hz: Runs at 1440p, almost locked 120fps in all modes. Time Trial is locked 120fps. Has much more shimmering and small details on the cars are less resolved. Seems like it has more pop-in per Turk1993 above

I forgot one thing. Reflections when you are playing on cockpit view are running at half-rate since launch. This means that on the Raytracing/Resolution mode, with 120hz turned on you get faster reflections which look much better than the regular 4K60 modes. I've tested it at Tokyo with the Dodge Viper, which shows you a lot of reflections, they look much smoother.
seems like some great options

Mr Moose

Yeah I noticed a downgrade in visual as well. especially the aliasing problem . problem due to the lower resolution on my 4k monitor.

on a second hand, I have a question about this game. I recently bought it used and I am trying to play it.

I did all the licensing. however on the world circuit. there is only one race each circuit ( I think the second has 2 but I couldn't finish it. its 5 laps and it has 2 spices on it I am assuming it means Its hard. but no matter what I couldn't finish it ) anyway. my problem is I finished the other races ( one race per circuit ) and yet nothing is opening up. I cant play any more circuits. is there a campaign mode I can go to or what exactly ? how do we get going with this game ?

its not possible I have to finish that spicy hard circuit in order to continue playing. if that's the case might as well sell the game because I tried so many times and just no way to win.
Go to the cafe and do the menu book things.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

You need to play the Menu book in the Cafe to unlock everything.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The intermediate tires now degrate extremely quickly on a dry track. Even when its slightly wet. Only when you have the appropriate wetness they last reasonable. I like this since it felt that they would last forever on a wet track before this update. Also makes the decision for tires in a pit stop much more meaningful. I haven't tested the wet tires yet but i hope its the same for these as well.

The new haptic effects for rain are cool and there is also a new effect for the triggers. Like a high resistance that loosens suddenly. Can't really wrap my head around it as to when this appears.

Cars in general feel vastly different compared to the previous version. I need to relearn to drive some of these.

The Alphard is so high and the chase camera so low that you can't see shit in that perspective. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The radar and the weather radar are more transparent now which makes it hard to see whats coming. I hope this will be changed back.

Since i still use Traction Control on 1 for some cars i can feel a huge difference in that. Almost feels like non active now even on level 2. Of course it depends on the car.

Performance took a hit with this update. I get a lot of stutter.

Just some thoughts after a few laps.

Outlier

What the hell, why did they reset the leaderboards? In GTS if I remember right this was to correct track limits, but there it's bs.
Because the PP has been recalculated, so players need to prove themselves with the new PP limits. All my 700PP cars are now being recalculated within 688PP.

It makes sense.

Kvally

Banned

If I were you, I would just go through and finish all the Cafe Menus because it takes almost all of them to unlock everything for World Circuits. It won't take very long and it's easy money and easy free cars. I should mention that some Cafe Menus won't unlock unless you bring your car collector level up to 29 or 30.

The intermediate tires now degrate extremely quickly on a dry track. Even when its slightly wet. Only when you have the appropriate wetness they last reasonable. I like this since it felt that they would last forever on a wet track before this update. Also makes the decision for tires in a pit stop much more meaningful. I haven't tested the wet tires yet but i hope its the same for these as well.

The new haptic effects for rain are cool and there is also a new effect for the triggers. Like a high resistance that loosens suddenly. Can't really wrap my head around it as to when this appears.

Cars in general feel vastly different compared to the previous version. I need to relearn to drive some of these.

The Alphard is so high and the chase camera so low that you can't see shit in that perspective. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The radar and the weather radar are more transparent now which makes it hard to see whats coming. I hope this will be changed back.

Since i still use Traction Control on 1 for some cars i can feel a huge difference in that. Almost feels like non active now even on level 2. Of course it depends on the car.

Performance took a hit with this update. I get a lot of stutter.

Just some thoughts after a few laps.

What are you noticing for "vastly different" in the cars handling? I am hoping that the Corvette C6 is improved to more resemble the handling of my C6 that I own. They don't handle the same, as the one in the game handles too light and tight. It should be heavy and loose.

Japan seems to love the minivan.

This is what Gran Turismo is all about. More cars like this please.
The Office No GIF

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
What are you noticing for "vastly different" in the cars handling? I am hoping that the Corvette C6 is improved to more resemble the handling of my C6 that I own. They don't handle the same, as the one in the game handles to light and tight. It should be heavy and loose.
To be honest i'm really bad at explaining this but after trying some of my favorite cars in the game i can say that they don't feel familiar anymore. Easier to unsetle the car, more understeer, less stable in general. Not bad in any way and i actually quite like it so far. Driving in wet conditions also changed quite a bit.

Its the same as it was for one of the updates from 2022. V1.16 i think. Cars i couldn't handle were actually drivable and some of my favorites felt kinda off. Will take some time to get used to this.

Kvally

Banned
To be honest i'm really bad at explaining this but after trying some of my favorite cars in the game i can say that they don't feel familiar anymore. Easier to unsetle the car, more understeer, less stable in general. Not bad in any way and i actually quite like it so far. Driving in wet conditions also changed quite a bit.

Its the same as it was for one of the updates from 2022. V1.16 i think. Cars i couldn't handle were actually drivable and some of my favorites felt kinda off. Will take some time to get used to this.
Understood. And thank you. That might be an improvement for the C6 then based on your feedback.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
All modes detailed.

I still prefer Framerate + 120hz OFF because of gameplay recording at 4K/60+HDR. Every modes with 120hz on will limit your manual gameplay recording to 1080p/60+HDR, and i do not like 30fps replays. But i might switch between the last modes and first one (RT/Res + 120hz)

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Tested 120hz modes with vrr. Performance mode big quality drop but quality 120hz looks almost same like 60fps with frames around 100 during timetrials and 60-80 during race, impressive.

Kvally

Banned
I put in about 80 miles last night with about 5 different cars, but I didn't notice any handling changes 🤷‍♂️ I did notice that they greyed out some settings for license tests though, not allowing you to alter certain adjustments.

Tested 120hz modes with vrr. Performance mode big quality drop but quality 120hz looks almost same like 60fps with frames around 100 during timetrials and 60-80 during race, impressive.
Didn’t realize you could unlock from the 4K mode, thought you had to take the resolution hit. That’s good

Top Bottom