• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo movie reviews dropping - Eurogamer

mrmustard

Banned
Uncharted was a hit, TLOU was a big hit and one of the biggest tv shows this year so far, Twisted Metal had great reviews and reception, plus it brought in some nice numbers apparently.
This one seems hardly a terrible movie (60 on rotten tomatoes is actually a good score for a videogame adaptation).

So...why?
Uncharted was an overrated turd, no idea how it got a 6 on imdb. Maybe because of the cast.

Stafford

Yeah that's how it usually goes for me at parties.

The movie however early on makes it clear she's someone he knows. His buddy notifies him before the party that she'll be there.

I saw it last week during sneak preview here in my theater and I had a good time. I had zero expectations, and it was fun enough. It won't come near Ford vs Ferrari, but that movie is superb anyway.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm still not sure who exactly this movie is for. It seems like it is decades late from a time it would have been decently received. I could still be surprised but I won't hold my breath and I sure as hell won't watch it myself.

Uncharted sucked

Uncharted was an overrated turd, no idea how it got a 6 on imdb. Maybe because of the cast.
It made money and overperformed in every single way. Sony was happy with it as well.

I know it's hard for the "Tom Holland sucks" crowd to admit it but it's true.

No one expected this to do $400M at the box office and during the pandemic years. Seems like people forget this small thing called Covid.
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

$120 million budget (before marketing) and landed around $400 million WW. Decent chunk of change but pretty big risk to try again with Uncharted 2. We'll see if it ever happens.
The movie did well over 3 times its budget and did quite good with the audiences didn't it? It has a 90% from the audience on rotten tomatoes and had a B+ cinemascore in the USA. Seems like people would be here for a sequel.

mrmustard

Banned
It made money and overperformed in every single way. Sony was happy with it as well.

No one expected this to do $400M at the box office and during the pandemic years. Seems like people forget this small thing called Covid.

The movie did well over 3 times its budget and did quite good with the audiences didn't it? It has a 90% from the audience on rotten tomatoes and had a B+ cinemascore i n the USA. Seems like people would be here for a sequel.
Sucks doesn't mean it can' t be succesfull. Fast & Fury movies are shit, but make money, most people here think Fortnite sucks and so on.

Btw i have nothing against Tom Holland.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hollywood is never going to get racing right in a movie, and they really should stop trying.

After this shit with fat -ass American David Harbour masquerading as a GT driver, we're going to get 60 year old Brad Pitt masquerading as an F1 driver in Apex.

Lots of dumb ass close ups of drivers changing gear and accelerating even more while going along the fucking straight.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

This is the main character's car in the movie:

SJHup9y.jpg
Well then you just spoiled the movie, because with a car that packs that kinda speed, there's no chance in hell the protagonist is losing. That legendary car has been seen lapping Formula 1's

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

The movie did well over 3 times its budget and did quite good with the audiences didn't it? It has a 90% from the audience on rotten tomatoes and had a B+ cinemascore in the USA. Seems like people would be here for a sequel.
Tom is charming but he was miscast. The movie sucked despite everything you wrote, which was not incorrect.

It has an abysmal 6.3 on imdb

Are you kidding me? Uncharted should have been an awesome story. It's one of the best ps3 games and the movie gets 6.3

Weak as fuck

After I learned that it didn't have any nods to the game franchise, no easter eggs or fan service, I already knew this was about to be that kind of hollywood drama beeewshit.

GT is a quirky japanese game, it's no drama in that

Kadve

I feel it could have just been a racing movie with the gran turismo title without the whole bullshit gamer angle and it could've been really good. Something like ford vs ferrari.

Instead we get this.
Or like that Needs for Speed movie. Managed to capture the essence of the games quite well despite them not really having a story most of the time.

Hell a GT movie about the life of Kazunori Yamauchi himself would also have been interesting.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Twisted Metal is hilarious fun but I have much lower expectations of this one, since it seems to take it's ideas a bit too seriously.

The Stig

As a person who has played and owns every single Gran Turismo game (including prologues), I never asked for this.

Of all the video games to base a movie on, this is not it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They got the wrong director and the wrong tone. Don’t understand what’s the point of messing around with these historical franchise that you own and have pedigree, only to cheap out on the choice of director and script writer.

Uncharted was the same, bad director bad script, bad casting. Shit movie.

Sony pictures need to step up their game, they pump out some real stinkers.

CamHostage

Or like that Needs for Speed movie. Managed to capture the essence of the games quite well despite them not really having a story most of the time.

Hell a GT movie about the life of Kazunori Yamauchi himself would also have been interesting.

It's still in my watch-later queue so I don't know how it turned out, but they essentially already did that.

Chastten

Banned
This is probably a similar situation to the Super Mario movie, no? Critics teared it down, but if you like the games, it was a really fun fanserviced-filled movie. I won't say it was a good movie, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure people who like GT and/or cars will like this just fine.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If any studios are interested in buying the rights to my real life story for a Forza Motorsport movie, let me know.

It’s about a guy who spends $10,000 on a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle, then proceeds to spend like $200,000 on every single racing upgrade imaginable without even knowing what half that shit does.

Then he takes it out to the track and discovers that the torque to weight is so bonkers, the wheels spin out of control with the slightest touch of the gas pedal, so he glides across the track like an air hockey puck.

Top Bottom