• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're given a Star Citizen level budget (~300 million) - what kind of game would you make? (don't tell me your non-300m dream game)

jigglet

Banned
As per the title I don't want to hear about your dream game if it isn't ambitious enough to cost $300 million.

Anyway here's mine:

I would have a cel-shaded GTAV style open world SIMPSONS game, where literally every episode and their sub-plots* from the first 9 seasons are painstakingly recreated as missions. Every episode is so detailed that it could in fact stand alone as its own game. Every object in the game can be interacted with, every home can be entered, and there is no expense spared in making this a literal virtual Springfield. It would have the scope of a GTA game with a much deeper level of detail in terms of interaction and exploreable internal areas.

*I'm also talking about incidental little events you see in the background, I'd want to see all those fleshed out too.

Last edited:
No way you're making the actual Star Citizen with only $300 million.
At the rate they are going, the final budget for Star Citizen might well end up over $1 billion and be released sometime in 2030.

The good news it will look and run great on PS7 and a high end gaming PC with GeForce WTX 14780 Ti.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Open world fps that's actually the entire world and you capture cities and continents. There is only one match that every single player participates in.

It would be the biggest game ever in terms of scale and popularity.

Honestly it might not be possible yet but things like SpatialOS give me faith that it will happen in my lifetime.

obviously a good amount of things would be procedurally generated unless we figure something out

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A real Dino Crisis 3 or a reboot of the franchise. In the game you're free to explore the installation (side missions etc.), kinda like in Arkham Asylum while the whole area is full of Dinosaurs from which you mostly have to hide (think of it as gameplay like Last of Us). Here are there would be some epic setpieces like a T-Rex chaising you or some shit. 30-40 hours game all in all with lots of empasis on replayability (perhaps by limiting you to a certain amount of weapons or choices you can make).

That is all. Don't say anything folks, I know what I just wrote descibes the best game of all times.

A 300 million dollar game with the best possible immersive sim Thief game with the following:

Sandbox: You start out a petty thief that gets tutored on the ways of thieving. You are given a set of skills but the way you approach obstacles is flexible to the player.

Open world: The game opens up with every house has an interior and every lock has can be picked or open in one way or another.

Player Agency: The player should be able to use the tools as they would behave in real life. Smashing a blackjack on a fragile piece of wood should result in it being destroyed or any other materials that fall into it.

World design: There should be no inconsistency in the environment, you should not be restricted from going to certain areas because arbitrary story nonsense. If I found a ladder and I somehow move it from one area to an area I'm not supposed to, I should be able to.

Persistence: What you do in the world remains permanent, there is no reset of events. You mess up and get caught, you would either have to find a way to lower your wanted rating or limit the broadcasting of your deeds.

Of course the same goes to the NPC's who doesn't automatically know what happens because of some event that happened 2 miles away like some Twitter notification.

Emergent gameplay: If I throw a stone at a window, it should break, if I use a fire arrow and shoot at it at flammable material, it should spread according to it's physics. If an enemy has a belt and I somehow manage to hit it perfectly with an arrow, it should fall accordingly.

Game economy: It should be based on limited supply within the open world, what you do in the game should affect the economy. Stealing ledgers from the rich or some valuable item that is pegged to the currency should reflect your actions in the game.

No magic boxes: You steal 20kg of items, you better find a way to store them.

No scripted story events:. You can have a goal or a series of goals but no arbitrary objectives or order of how you achieve them to end the game. Or you can see how long you last till the city takes note of your actions.

In game events: Something like a ball, festival, auction, etc that appears in certain dates that gives you the opportunity to take advantage of. Of course the more you attempt to disrupt it, the more they will find a way to resist you.

In game management: Character health, sleep, food should take into consideration. Moving all day and night without sleep should affect your performance.

No XP/static reward/skill tree: You are given everything you need to survive in the tutorial, the rest is up to you to utilize them to the best of your ability and use the environment to your advantage - no. more. rules.

End game/game over: The game ends when you die or when you reach the end goal. You have unlimited saves, but only 1 persistent playthrough.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Open world the size of earth using google maps and generated cities and be a tour guide in many cities around the globe visiting realistic spots starting with the most famous and updating the map and it should be a streaming based.

You can play as a legit tour guide, or scam tourists with rpg lies and choices to squeeze as much money as possible.

Raonak

Banned
One piece the game. An action game where you play through the various arcs as various characters.

Big islands are the story arcs, and smaller islands are can be side quests and other optional stuff.

The expensive part is the quality level of everything.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Easy. A game like gta, open world city, with modern day 4k graphics, a live interactive city.
Basically a sandbox, but that kids could play.
You could race, go inside, do stuff all over.

Would be a pure online sandbox mode, but also adventure modes. Be a cop (no killing, just arresting), be a firefighter. Be a garbage collector. Be a truck driver. Be an animal rescue person. Be an city elictrian. Be a airline pilot. Helicoptor pilot. Be a courier. Deliver newspapers.

There would also be modes where you could build your own city that people can visit.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Open world sonic game that looks like a playable anime.
Same rendering style/tech as Guilty Gear Strive/ Dragon Ball Fighter Z.
Same Art Style as the Sonic OvA.

Pokemon MMO. Just a massive open world with players able to train, battle, and trade along side one another. Events where the Pokemon leagues in each region will rotate, ending in tourneys where a single trainer will come out on top, giving the player an exclusive title like "5th Cycle Jhoto Champion". Big server wide events themed around legendary pokemon. Just a fully fledged Pokemon MMO.

Tschumi

This is like the ultimate thread for writing a wall of text that won't get in depth appraisal :p

I would make a game... Okay first thing that comes to my mind..

A first person, single player, real time Civilization game, based off the civilization 3 aesthetic, in which you can travel your empire in first person, manage a complex social simulation, make friends with randomly generated but realistic ai companions, jump forward in time from 4000bc to 2050ad.. command armies, conduct espionage yourself (if you are prepared to accept the colossal risks) with a crusader kings style dynasty system.. watch the descendants of your old friends bear similarities in face and personality to your once trusted advisers etc.. see close friends move away over the generations until they eventually spawn rebellions.. go up against Napoleon.. suffer the consequences of defeat, become a vassal state (if not a corpse) and serve in the court of your conquerer.. but knock up his sister and your child takes the throne... Make your old dynasty's home city the new capital.. visuals would be a cross between 3rd person elder scrolls and Kingdom come: deliverance..

A robust time compression system ofc.. but yeah it would be a fucking long game 2,000 hours for a general playthrough..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd spend it and make an interface for a live arcade or Playstation home fully expanded. I'd start it off by getting old arcade games like Fatal Fury, Street Fighter II and so forth. I'd add customizable that are gained by playing, amount of wins and so forth. I'd make it like a nickel or a dime to play a game so instead of paying 10-20 bucks for a port of Street Fighter 2 you can do a per play like the old arcade days. I'd also add a live streaming so people can view and watch from the sidelines. I'd bring back the score chase of arcade games like R-Type,, Gradius, Raiden and so forth where people can watch the player break records, speed runs and so forth.

As this gets built it would be something to bring back the arcade style gameplay and community that got destroyed with time. Aksys does it wrong with their games with that Chibi style thing and crowding the Chibi style that doesn't resemble the feel. This would be a mix of Playstation home where it's more realistic looking, have the coin low risk to try a game or waste some time and have reasons to keep playing such as customization earned through gameplay or simply the thrill of the chase for high scores.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
A Xenogears/Xenosaga remake similar in style to how the Final Fantasy VII remake was done. Except I would cover all six episodes in the way they were meant to be released. Combat would be much more fluid and I would borrow from Legend of Legaia's combat system when everything goes in slow motion when you're performing epic combos. Mech battles would be on a whole new level where it would be more action-based instead of turned-based.

LarknThe4th

I would hire the Resident Evil 2 remake team and task them with making a game about a regular civilian trying to survive in Racoon City during the outbreak that took place during Residents evil 2 and 3

It would use the same controls and camera of Resident evil 2 remake and would essentially be structured like the city areas in Resident evil 3 remake except lots more(like lots more) the street in Resi 3 remake where brilliant design it just sadly was too small but if developed correctly, and without having to worry about the cannon I think they could make the ultimate Resident evil experience, one typified with clever puzzles, terrifying encounters with rampant hordes of zombies and a race against the clock to get out of hell alive!!

Oh and hire the composer of resi 3 remake whoever that was, they where on their fucking game!

300 mill would more than cover that

Last edited:

Rudius

An open world in a small spherical planet, alien, with its own fauna and flora, dominant inteligent species with it's cultures. Fully exolorable, down to the bottom of the sea.

There would be small continents, oceans, a few large cities (3 to 5) and some small ones. The gameplay would have elements of GTA, Jack 2/3, MGS 5.

The story would hover around a world war between the city-states, but since the word is small you would be able to interfere and change the outcome in many ways.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Lootbox simulator, You can create your own lootboxes with your content and make them available to the community. The trick, however, is that the content must first be activated by microtransactions. This can either be done by buying real lootboxes, or you can simply buy shortcuts that unlock specific content. With the season pass, new themes are added every 20 days. Piratebox, Vikingbox, Stoneagebox, Policebox, Candybox etc. There will be 487 seasons.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol, i was thinking about opening a topic for some silly ideas for games.

Well when i was little i kinda created this game in my mind, it was an open world with ken and ryu from sf as a protagonists, it was called "Ken and ryu adventures" (i was little gimme some slack :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Like i said it was an open world but a very ambitious one where you can move from city to city with huge details etc. (So similar to the scope of star citizen but on earth) and real life physics and interactions, like you can shoot to the ground with a pistol and use the debris as ammo for a slinger.

I even had a far bigger and more ambitious sequel in the head where you move from continent to continent:ROFLMAO:

This was before even seeing omikron on pc or gta3 on console, the first 3d open world games, i know, i'm a visionary.

BootsLoader

Banned
My Dream game is, well kinda Shadow of the colossus. You know, being alone etc but more open world with many handmade dungeons and bosses inside, souls inspired gameplay but a little more faster with magic in it (actually magic will be a big part of that game, and will not use magic points etc, you will have to make sacrifi to do magic). And there’s another idea I have about the future of humanity.

But those are only ideas, hope I will have the budget to make those games someday.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
A racing game.

A racing game with mods and a scene similar to NFS Underground.

But, the tracks are downloaded from real world roads via Google Maps. Elevation and corners, traffic density etc will be as close to real as possible.

Top Bottom