• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Type of Game Would You Want to Exist?

chozen

A new IP, Sci-fi far future JRPG directed by Tetsuya Nomura. Filled with space exploration similar to Star Ocean but with Kingdom Hearts combat and done with the Luminous Engine.
Different races, creatures, and swords are still the main weapon in combat, no lightsaber bs. Guns should still exist but characters have overshields, as an old-school FF staple.
Should have lore, mysterious races, and ancient history. A long term franchise like another FF in its own.

379749-sci-fi.jpg

Arabian Nights action RPG where you wander the Silk Road and Indian Ocean trade routes smoking hash, whoring, swindling, uncovering demonic relics, outsmarting jinn, seducing emperors with your wit and knowledge of the occult and thereby getting on the wrong side of their viziers and having to escape from oubliettes/getting castrated, getting abducted by giant elephant-eating birds, and periodically stopping to marry a local woman on some peaceful Spice Island only to find yourself having to talk your way out of getting buried alive in her tomb by her people when she unexpectedly dies, for such is their custom.

I pitched my idea to a similar thread a while back.
I've had this idea floating in my head for a while. Pokémon X Luigi's Mansion titled simply "Luigi's Pokémon Mansion".
Luigi uses a modified Poltergust 3000 that can capture ghost Pokémon with the help of a Pokémon partner and the main antagonist is Giratina.
Adding to that, It plays similarly to Luigi's Mansion but your Pokemon partner acts as the one weakening the Pokemon before capture.

The story would be Giratina uses someone to connect the distortion world with the real world all taking place in a mansion. The experimentation starts attracting wild ghost Pokemon so with Prof. Oak's help along with Prof. E. Gadd, they aid Luigi through the Pokemon mansion. It also features a distortion world-esque mansion to serve as the finale.

Also, I thought the Pokemon partner should be one with an open ended evolution for variety (for multiple playthroughs) so Eevee comes to mind.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Castlevania that plays like Demon/dark souls.

Forest and caves that surround the castle. The game would play in the same kind of order of super Castlevania 4. Adventuring the hostile outsides until you arrive at the castle, wich is worst and harder and even more heroic and epic.

Simon would be the hero, not soma or some of those new cartoon look. Nope, give us the old style 90s Simon Belmont. Alucard as an alternate character.

Auctopus

An Open-World "Modern-Day/Future" RPG set in the world of "Tales from the Loop" by Simon Stalenhag. I've just got his book and it already has lore etc. revolving around the world.

simon_stalenhag_tales_from_the_loop_2.jpg

tumblr_nnkvoc85nE1qzbiclo5_1280.jpg

ship14_1920.jpg

tumblr_n78xbkmb621rc69zjo1_1280.jpg

SimonStalenhgas-4.jpg

A roadtrip game. You get in a car and drive for a very long time. Stop to, i don't know, eat sleep talk to people etc., and see a lot of vistas and learn about life and society.

I want it so bad i think of it daily before going to sleep.

Bamboo

A roadtrip game. You get in a car and drive for a very long time. Stop to, i don't know, eat sleep talk to people etc., and see a lot of vistas and learn about life and society.

I think you want to go on a roadtrip.

Usobuko

Banned
AAA Single player action-oriented RPG, eastern mythology with dark skined Asian lead. Think Juuni Kokuki.

Would probably bomb in this mkt though.

Heman

Fighting game crossovers.These games have semi existed but not exactly how I envisioned. What I am thinking is 3 games
Game 1 is SF and with SF mechanics but guest starring characters from tekken and Kof.
Game 2 is tekken mechanics with Kof and SF guest starring
Game 3 is Kof mechanics plus SF and tekken characters

So close yet so far :(

nillah

Banned
TUROK
MAG 2
SOCOM
Enslaved Oddyesey to the EAST
FEAR REBOOT
Unreal Tournament
GTA GLOBE
ESPN NFL 2K
Return to the WW2 era
More movie to game adaptions (Star Wars, Total recall, Indiana Jones, Bourne etc.)
EXPANSION PACKS and not drop on the dime DLC
Games set in the horror and romantic drama Romeo and Juliet shit something real tragic
CLAY FIGHTER for Wii U
NFL Blitz

Retro

A city-building game with a fantasy theme and mechanics; in addition to the usual genre staples like resource management, you also have a layer of fantasy tropes on top of it. So you're just as likely to have your mages open a doorway into the Plane of Earth as you are to build a quarry if you need an influx of stone.

The combat would be similar to Final Fantasy Tactics with a touch of Advance Wars; there are specific structures within your city that need to be defended / captured in order to claim victory. Everything about your city would be in play, from the layout of your streets to the decorative statues your mages can animate to serve as fighters.

Stuff like magic-based terrain editing to create impossible terrain like cities built on mesas or floating islands, hiring dwarves to dig mines (and waking up ancient evils), upgrading your inn to make it the happening spot for adventurers to visit (which you can then send into dungeons like your city's sewers), etc.

All of the city-building games I play always end up feeling like something is missing, or they reach a point where I'm just making variations on the same effective layout. I think the answer to that is additional layers of resource / building management, so instead of getting bored when I've made everything work optimally, I can deal with something like rival cities that aren't just competing for resources but are led by Spider Queens or Dark Lords who want to end the world or whatever.

oSoLucky

I've always wanted an RPG with battles that play like a mix of Marvel vs Capcom and the Paradigm system from FF13. Meter would replace MP and be used for casting spells or unique abilities(supers). Each character would have their own meter and it would slowly charge on its own in addition to filling up from assist calls and combos. You have to manage the active character and reserves in order to keep the pressure on and party healed up. Both sides can focus or attack all characters.

Pedrito

An open world espionage game with a lot of stealth, a diverse cast of characters, fun gadgets and a crazy plot full of twists and turns; set in an exotic city like Shanghai, Beijing, Moscow or Berlin during the cold war, or better yet, in multiple smaller cities/settings linked by plane/train/boat. A diverse map like in GTA5.
Must include RPG elements.

True Fire

I want something serious like Final Fantasy Tactics, but with the ridiculous scope of Disgaea.

Sounds like you need Final Fantasy XV

The same thing I posted in a thread like this a few years ago...

Lionel Mandrake said:
Open world game in a small, detailed city.

The main character has created a time machine, which can travel back and forth between specific eras in history (You can't do specific days/hours because it would screw up the game mechanics). You know there's some huge conspiracy that was built up over the city's history, and you have to try to figure out what's going on.

Say, you travel to the 1960s, and trail one of the conspirators to a building. It's heavily guarded and there's no way for you to follow him in. So you notice a plaque that says the building was erected in the 1940s. You travel back to when it was being constructed and sneak around the site to find out who ordered the construction and so on.

Every era you travel to has unique styles, cars, buildings, advertisements, dialogue, weapons, and so on. You could travel from colonial times all the way up to the present. Probably about 10 or so different time frames to choose from, with the bulk of the story taking place in the 20th Century.

I'm not sure if the time machine should be a stationary machine that you have to travel through (Which would more easily explain why you can't just jump through time when you're in a tight spot) or maybe something your character would have on him, enabling him to effect the world around him as he's in it. Like you're running from some guys and you come to a fence, so you jump back to a time where that fence wasn't there to keep going (And then have the game explain that if you're in action while time-traveling, you'll quickly be pulled back into the era you were in or something like that)

*Copyright Lionel Mandrake

I want a historical strategy game like civilization (from stone age to modern times) but a causal total war like combat system. A combat system that makes you feel like a field general but it's accessible and ready to learn and with an AI competent enough to not make you feel bored. I want something that gives an authentic feeling of how armies deploy on a battlefield but accessible, an stressless experience.

T.E.D

Banned
This thread needs more pictures....

If you're pitching a concept, throwing in a photo or two doesn't go amiss.

kavanf1

Like many, my ideal game is a hybrid of multiple genres. At its core it is an open world RPG grounded in a real world that’s still gamey enough that it doesn’t bore the player. Think the spirit of Just Cause but the depth of The Witcher. It would also incorporate aspects of FPS, world-building, driving, horror, survival, sports games, roguelike and many others – each aspect of the game world would take the best from each of those genres and execute them in the game world within the relevant environments.

Reincarnation: from Birth to Death, and back again. The point of the game is to live a life as you see fit. While the game has a day/night cycle, long-term time passes by hitting specific points in the overarching storyline. The overarching storyline is just a framework for progressing through your life – there is no overall goal except what you decide to do with yourself. The meat of the story is on the interactions you have in the world, and the activities you choose to do for people (or not). There will be multiple overarching story arcs that result in you aging, including getting married, having children, going to prison, suffering a debilitating illness, losing a loved one, or simply deciding you want a certain length of time to pass in-game.

In the beginning, you are born. At birth you get to choose certain key characteristics you would like your player to focus on (though these can be changed later if you aren’t happy with your choices). So far, so Fallout 3.

From birth you begin interacting with the world, and it’s how you choose to interact with other characters and NPCs that determines the type of person you become as you grow older. In the early stages, for example, you can either be contented with the treatment your parents give you, or act out and be cantankerous and disobedient all the time. You can throw tantrums constantly, or coo and smile and attract people to you. While your parents’ backs are turned, you can misbehave, or be good. You can even do harm to others…but if you’re caught, you may be forced to grow up in a mental institution, if what you've done is bad enough.

Once you start school, you can choose to be a good attentive student or a rebel without a cause. You can interact with everyone and your interaction allows any NPC to be elevated to the status of friend/companion (with a huge database of potential characteristics to randomly create these characters, which don’t need to be voiced because fuck you they don't need to be). You can treat companions well and earn a reputation as a pleasant person, and that in turn opens up opportunities to you. Alternatively you can be a mean manipulative bastard and stab people in the back, and that might mean you catch the attention of less savoury characters who offer you different kinds of opportunities.

As you get older, your ability to explore the world broadens – at the start when you’re a baby it’s just your playpen/cot, then it’s your home. Then it’s your home plus your parents’ car or the school bus, and the school. Eventually you are old enough to walk to school so you can explore the neighbourhood.

At any time you can either get immersed into the world at the age you are and explore everything it holds. Your world at each time period has a minimum set of content you can complete or bypass, but bypassing it gives you less control over how your character turns out. If you do want to bypass it, you can skip time to progress to an older age (the game will randomise your progression). When free-roaming there is a day-night cycle active, however if you are involved in specific missions you may be locked to a certain time of day. Progress at school is determined by a Bully-style learning process (because Bully is brilliant). You can explore your neighbourhood but remember if you stay out after dark there will be consequences – your parents worry you know. However if you sneak in your bedroom window and climb into bed and pretend you were there all along, maybe your parents will wonder if they are going crazy…

Each period of your younger life – baby, infant, early school years, late school years – equates to about 5-6 hours of (skippable) gameplay to “complete”, with at least a couple of hours of additional content if you want it. Once you’re an adult, the overall game content will easily be several hundred hours, though it will be possible for you to reach old age and die much sooner than that just by playing through the game. If you die of old age, the game is over, but you have the opportunity to reincarnate back to any age in your life and carry over the experience you’ve earned up to that point. Different choices increase or decrease your life expectancy. If you die of unnatural causes (eg you decide to go on a killing spree and are taken out by the police) you can respawn to any age in your life within your original life. The more often you reincarnate, the more experience you will have, and consequently the more abilities you will have. For example, in your first life, you may be a farmer, or an explorer, or a thief, or an assassin. In your second life, you may have the opportunity to be a property tycoon, or a gang boss, or the leader of a crew running major heists. In your third life, you can become rich and powerful enough to influence politics and in turn what gets funded and unfunded in the game world, leading to in-game enhancements or damage to infrastructure. You might want to focus on creating a biohazard that kills off large numbers of the population and causes others to lose their minds. It will then be up to you to arm yourself to protect yourself. Alternatively you may want to invest in renewable energy and leave the world a better place.

By the time you are grown up, you are a well-established character in the game world, known by many people locally but few beyond that. You may have driven your parents insane; one or both of them may have died due to your actions; they may have divorced due to your actions; they might be growing old and happy together. Once you’re old enough to drive, the entire (fictional) country opens up to you. Bear in mind though if you do go on a road trip for weeks at a time, your family might freak out and you may be classed as a missing person. Police may or may not be on the lookout for you, it depends how much you’ve led the game world to care about you.

You could stay local, build up your reputation as a dependable person, and take on the role of a police officer, or anything else you like – there will be a multitude of jobs available to you depending on the types of skills you are interested in developing. It will be possible to quit a job to learn new skills, and your old skills will be retained. However you can’t have ten different jobs at once. You can stick to the straight and narrow and do good by your community, and get involved in activities that allow you to help people. Alternatively you can learn lots of underhand things like how to become a good thief, and enrich yourself by profiting off others. In any one area, people will know who you are and know your reputation, and it will be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to change that. However, it is entirely possible to be a “good” player in one region and be a “bad” player in another region, so for example in your home town you could be a poster boy for old fashioned values, while 50 miles away you are known to the police as a cat burglar and will be reported by members of the public and chased by police unless you wear a disguise to hide your looks.

Other info:

Every building in the game is enterable. There are no loading screens. The only weight restrictions you have will be on directly equipped items – your inventory is limitless. Activity is persistent, unless such activity is game-breaking, in which case respawning can occur after a certain amount of time has passed in-game. You can abuse substances such as drugs or alcohol, but there will be consequences to your health and possibly to your interactions in-game.

Tone: Majority of the tone will be light but occasionally bitingly satirical, somewhere between GTA, Just Cause, Portal and The Stanley Parable. However the tone will change in response to the environments you enter – eg you might enter a spooky area where the survival horror element of the game comes to the fore, and the tone will change to reflect that.

Gameplay: FPS point of view, though the S part of the game is entirely optional and violence is only one aspect of gameplay that can be ignored completely if desired. You can play through the whole game as a “good guy” if you want, though exploring certain areas of the map is going to warrant weapons if you want to stand a good chance of survival. Early part of the game will focus more on comic violence like Bully. I haven’t worked out how levelling up would work.

Music: the music will vary depending (i) on the player’s actions and (ii) the environments the player is interacting with. Good or indifferent actions by the player keep the tone light. Unpleasant or evil actions bring the music more downbeat. Environmental cues set the tone for the player – eg exploring a creepy old house will set the requisite level of tension.

Graphics: the game will be primarily developed for PC with a focus on making the game run 60fps at 1080p on current high-end machines (baseline: GTX980, recent Intel CPU). Plenty of room for future PCs to make the game look amazing. Game may be ported to console in future.

The game will not be multiplayer in the traditional sense, however it will use the No Man’s Sky concept of other players’ activities influencing your world in some ways. For example, you can write on an in-game chalkboard things you need, and select from your inventory things you have that you don’t want that you are willing to share with other players. Players can see this and either give you the stuff you’re looking for, or take the stuff you have made available.

Be right back, just giving Peter Molyneux a call.

Musolf815

An Open-World "Modern-Day/Future" RPG set in the world of "Tales from the Loop" by Simon Stalenhag. I've just got his book and it already has lore etc. revolving around the world.

I would adore this so much, his art inspires me greatly. I think it would be a perfect setting for a game.

DMZ (comicbook) inspired game. War torn NYC, open world. Heavy stealth mechanics where you played a photographer. The only thing the player would shoot is a camera. Capturing the atrocities of war. Rating system would be a blend of MGS for stealth and Pokemon snap or Beyond Good and Evil for the photography. Photos could also be uploaded online for monthly competitions.

250px-DMZvertigodc3.jpeg

DMZ_-1_page01_panel01.png

Man, after playing The Division Alpha I could't stop thinking about it.

The-Division.jpg

Top Bottom