• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Type of Game Would You Want to Exist?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
i-5SpGRMQ-L.jpg

A really immersive realistic "life of others" VR experience. As we are talking more and more about diversity and systemic challenges, it would be really interesting to be "in the shoes of...". This may open the eyes of many.

Edwardo

I always wanted a Pokemon MMO since the dawn of time, but I'm not really into Pokemon anymore, so I'm not really sure.

I guess an MMO designed the same way the original Star Wars Galaxies was. Maybe there's one out there, but I've never found it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
More games set in realistic locations with a Japanese aesthetic.

Basically, more Resident Evil and Parasite Eve, except with the grounded feel of the original games and with glorious modern day graphics. Onimusha is another example, but aside from 3 that's mostly a period piece. Modern day stuff is a bit more interesting.

As long as the gameplay wasn't too over the top I wouldn't necessarily even care what it was like as long as it was relatively fun and used as a vehicle to give the player a good story to play through.

Bamboo

I'd love to see more games that make use of a big screen and that allow massive local multiplayer. Games that can be played by the whole audience at the same time (50+ players). I have yet to try RENGA

... just saw the wallFour website is for sale :( what a pity

Does anyone know any more games played by an audience besides wallFour games? Seems like it's getting ever more improbable to play it sometime.

Tregard

Soothsayer
A game set on a huge ship in deep space but not necessarily grand sci-fi, something like a Red Dwarf MMO.

A Crystal Maze-style puzzle adventure game, with room escape style puzzles against a time limit

4x game like Civ where you can "shift" the tiles somehow. I envision a globe of hexagons, and you can spend resources to swivel a row of hexagons in any direction

Tron game based on the Tron: Uprising show which is set in an open world and where you are very mobile by being able to instantly get on your light cycle.

A more authentic role-playing experience that replicates playing under a good gamemaster. This probably won't be possible until a we've developed more advance AI. Setting and genre doesn't matter as much so long as it feels more like a tabletop experience.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wrote a silly / facetious thing on my blog a little while ago talking about "walking simulators" I'd like to see. While I was mostly joking, the more I think about it the more I could see them working in a late 90s Sega arcade game sort of way.

You Are: That Guy...

There's no denying that mobile phones have changed society forever. The way they help people stay in touch, the plethora of apps, texting, maps, visiting random sites during the commute, they really are a wonder of technology. Unfortunately, there is one major drawback to the devices: sometimes they're almost too engaging for some. So enthralled are they that these people are compelled to continue texting, updating their Facebook status, and so forth even while walking down the street, inevitably bumping into people, almost causing an accident, and miraculously not falling into open manholes. In this game you are that guy. That's right. You. Jerk.

In That Guy, about 80% of the screen will be used for the cell phone with the top 20% for seeing the actual world around you. Players will be expected to reply to texts in a timely manner, update their social media, double check the start times for movies, make reservations at restaurants, watch videos of cats that their friends send them, and all of the usual stuff people do on their phones. All the while, you must still be acutely aware of your surroundings. Look out, here comes a dog that's off it's leash, get away but don't forget to email Sarah. Be sure to check your map so you can find that bar your meeting your friends at, but also try not to trip over that woman that just went into labour in front of you.

There would even be opportunities for moral choices that significantly change the direction that the game goes in. Do you text back your clingy, needy significant other, or do a solid for the guy who just had a heart attack next to you and call him an ambulance? Do you let that senior borrow your phone so she can wish her grandson a happy birthday or pretend to not notice her while you hammer out a few more levels on your mobile RPG and listen to some music? These are the sort of important decisions you'll be faced with while playing That Guy.

If there was any justice, this game would leap to the top of the charts. More importantly, it would help teach people to at least be better at walking around with their faces buried in their phones without bumping into people in real life. In time it would grow beyond simply being a game but also a learning tool.

Tactical role playing games with settings other than fantasy or sci-fi for a change. Also developers in Japan to actually make more of them since it's drying up.
Cyberpunk game where you play as an assassin in the future. I guess Deus Ex is almost that, but not quite.

RPGs with Egyptian (historicall), Indian, Chinese or Greek settings. Been surprisingly underdone, honestly.
Horror RPGs. Especially with Lovecraftian influences. Where are they? From Software can only do so much by themselves...
James Bond RPG. Or games where you play as government agents within the RPG framework. More games like Alpha Protocol, in other words.
Film noir-esque games like Max Payne or Dead to Rights with monologues, getting out of impossible situations. Don't care about the genre, third person shooter, FPS, RPG, action-adventure; whatever, I miss the night time modern day cop monologuing his way tearing through bad guys.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wrote a silly / facetious thing on my blog a little while ago talking about "walking simulators" I'd like to see. While I was mostly joking, the more I think about it the more I could see them working in a late 90s Sega arcade game sort of way.

Gentleman Walker

Victorian-gentleman.jpg

Games that take place in a Victorian England setting have been pretty popular for the last few years. Top hats, monocles, walking sticks, haberdasheries, what's not to like? Something where you walk around the streets of London as an English Gentleman during the 1880s seems like a no-brainer.

Obviously, it would be open world with players deciding where they would like to walk and exude their gentlemanly je ne sais quoi. (Well, don't put it like that. You'll be docked points for saying something suspiciously French, an act that your English counterparts simply won't tolerate.) Will you strut through the theater district? Perhaps see the sights at Piccadilly Circus? If you go to Victoria Station you can give people directions while using your walking stick for big points and a possible new high score, as one of the most challenging things in the game is to combine these with a gracious, gentlemanly saunter.

Of course, there will be obstacles in the way of being the most respectable of walkers. You'll need to be wary of people riding the old time bicycles with the big front wheel, checking your watch to make sure you're punctual for engagements, avoiding the press gangs, and then there are the street urchins. So many street urchins. What will you do with these wretches? Shoo them away with your cane? Give them a good kick? Hire them for your textile factory? Maybe slip them a shilling when your friends aren't looking? It's entirely up to you.

I can't see how this game wouldn't be a hit, especially with online competitive multiplayer to see who is the gentlemanliest gentleman in all the boroughs. There could even be expansions like Gentleman Walker Goes to Belgium (But They Seem So French!), Gentleman Walker Meets an American, and Gentleman Walker vs. The Kaiser. Really, that such a game does not yet exist seems almost criminal.
I would play this every time I went to the movie theater

Make it start out normal and then add crazy stuff in later levels, like directing people away from whales jumping over a pier. Give it an over the top, adrenaline infused arcade-y soundtrack. So sold on this idea.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'd like a Naruto or Dragon Ball Z SRPG similar to Valkyria Chronicles control style, but with huge destructable battle fields. Imagine huge battles resulting in craters, and crumbled mountain sides.

Pokemon too. A better pokemon SRPG with large 3D interactive environments.

some hybrid between the single player of these games: metroid prime, quake, and doom

basically fast movement with some advanced techniques and combat with weapon variety (primarily projectiles, not hitscan) wrapped in some almost storyless adventure with actually 3D levels and secrets

and level design that isn't limited by what the average person can do with a joystick-based controller because it needs instant access to weapons + verticality + aiming while moving fast (lots of jumping / grappling / turning / platforming)

that's the easy part.
then they need to make it so all the levels are procedurally generated for infinite replayability while still being as good as stuff designed by people

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I would play this every time I went to the movie theater

Make it start out normal and then add crazy stuff in later levels, like directing people away from whales jumping over a pier. Give it an over the top, adrenaline infused arcade-y soundtrack. So sold on this idea.

Yeah, I really think those ideas would work great if they have the over the top attitude and energy of Sega arcade games from the late 90s. Could even have a shouty guy with a posh British accent for calling out score bonuses and such in Gentleman Walker. I think I'd name him The Admiral. =)

Gsnap

An open world 3D platformer that somehow doesn't sacrifice tight, structured level design. Then give me a character with several abilities to make the most of it. Given that those two things are almost opposite of one another, and 3D platformers are no longer given the budgets necessary to make it happen even if a developer was talented enough to do it, it's impossible.

A proper detective games were you can mess up a case if you found the wrong person or if you lack evidence. Something like L.A Noire but way more in depth.

A 3D party based cyberpunk RPG with a branching story involving choice, multiple endings, possible betrayal by your party member and of course a great story.

Some Nobody

I used to call this idea a "single-player MMO". Basically a game that isn't just about a single world's story, but is instead about the setting you're in. You don't save the entire world (or maybe you do, but not directly), but you can solve some political problems between two countries at risk of imminent war, or save a village from being sacrificed by an ancient spirit.

The game would have content added to it over time that builds on the choices you made in the base game and other expansions. I've taken to calling it a "living world" RPG.

Jawmuncher

I really want a Superior Dinosaur Game. Something that will be the king of the idea. A Far Cry style game could be such a thing. Or a new Dino Crisis in the vein of RE6 gameplay. Basically I just want a new AAA dinosaur game to exist.

Smash 4 with Snake :V

Seconded.

Oh, I also want a fitness ARPG.

I had this thing planned out in my mind where it would be like full motion-tracking and there's like this mat that covers the whole room or something and you just fight enemies. So like you'd be rolling and slashing and punching and all that fun stuff, maybe even flipping around too. It would be something like a Tales of game. There would also be an actual story so you'd be motivated to keep playing. You'd get so ripped!

Skux

As a New Zealander I'd love to see a game based on Maori mythology. Stories like Maui and the fish, and Maui slowing the sun would be perfect for a AAA God of War-style action game.

Reedirect

An AAA RPG where you start with incredibly high stats and gradually lose all of your powers as the game progresses, so you actually have to get good at what little you have. Tie that up with a solid story about getting old and you have a winner.

Keasar

World in Conflict 2.

This won't be CGI anymore, this vacuum bomb will be actual ingame graphics with today's technologies. The eSport-focused gameplay was not selling well back in the day, today everyone would love it. No one hated this game, it got very high scores back then. Just sales were low, which could be changed by a proper marketing campagn. Make it happen.

giphy.gif

That there.

That is one badass explosion.

Recommend watching the trailer its from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6Dayn9NBI

gelf

I actually enjoy playing fighting games in single player so I'd be interested in a RPG style adventure where all the random battles play out in the style of a one on one fighter. The AI in battles would need to be good of course. No input reading cheating.

A one on one fighter version of the Yakuza games I suppose.

Dennis

Banned
Open-world exploration-focussed RPGs with photo-realistic graphics.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, contemporary and cyberpunk settings.

Probably I would be set for life.

killroy87

3D collectathon mascot platformers that have naturally evolved since PS2 days. Core concept is the same, but visuals, mechanics, and controls have evolved with the times.

Yooka-Laylee is a good example, but I would love to live in a world where big devs got big budgets to make those games.

A massive 128 player World War II Battlefield game on the new Frostbite complete with distinct air and ground warfare with different objectives. 64 players on the ground and 64 in the air. This includes completely movable carriers and destroyers in the Pacific Theater maps.

Spider Man 2 probably has the best swinging mechanics of all the Spider Man games. I remember just swinging around doing nothing in that game for hours. Would definitely recommend checking it out.

Also, Souls/Bloodbourne style combat in a realistic historical setting or a turn based RPG that isn't about killing a god, something a bit more low key.

EDIT: Meant to quote Bamboo, apologies

Consumer

Probably been said already, but essentially a real-life simulator where you could do literally anything. It'd be toggleable between FPS and TPS perspective. The gameplay would mix elements from GTA, Sims, etc. With a life-size map & photorealistic graphics.

Roleplayers would be happy since they can live a virtual life superior to their own, GTA fans could risk everything as they attempts violent rampages of NPCs and other players, etc.

It's an inherently flawed concept that would only work with certain gameplay compromises obviously (to keep everything balanced and all playstyles be viable just as in real life), but an idea like that has infinite potential.

Elitist1945

A massive 128 player World War II Battlefield game on the new Frostbite complete with distinct air and ground warfare with different objectives. 64 players on the ground and 64 in the air. This includes completely movable carriers and destroyers in the Pacific Theater maps.

I...I want this now. Although I'm not sure how well restricting players to ground/air would go.

Top Bottom