• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Type of Game Would You Want to Exist?

JTripper

After listening to a recent episode of The GameOverGreggy Show, the topic of "what kind of game would you want to exist" came up and I thought it would be interesting to ask Gaf the same question.

What type of game would you want most to exist or make? It could be as detailed and ambitious as you want it to be too. Some popular examples and ones mentioned on the podcast were Pokemon MMO, a realistic Mega-Man reboot, etc.

I assume a question like this would elicit some extremely ambitious games, which is great, but I think one that I would really want would actually be somewhat simplistic in concept.

I'd love a co-op beat-em up/puzzle game inspired by and set in the 60s Batman universe.

- In my mind, it would also be great as an episodic game, as it would follow the classic cliff-hanger "same Bat-time, same Bat-channel" mentality.

- Every 2 episodes would focus on different villains, combat scenarios, and a variety of puzzles to solve, inspired by Portal's "room-by-room" co-op.

- Maybe it takes some inspiration by the Lego games, in the sense that it could include side objectives in different levels and maybe include a bigger hub area in each episode to do some side-tasks for trophies/achievements and such.

- It could be ridiculous fun to solve dumb riddles and use crazy tools like Bat-Shark repellent.

- It could be a great opportunity to have episodes including both classic villains from the show as well as popular Batman villains that were never even in the show (i.e. Two-Face, Court of Owls, Hush, etc., kind of like what the current Batman '66 comic does).

- I imagine the visual style could be cel-shaded and comic book inspired too, and it would be AMAZING if Adam West and Burt Ward would reprise their roles for it (probably wouldn't happen for an episodic game, but I can dream). In the same vein of the show, some popular nerd/pop culture celebs could appear as guest voice actors for villains in each new arc.

- Each episode beginning with the villain's introduction followed by the classic intro credits/song is a given.

What made me think of a game like this was remembering the great co-op beat-em ups of the past, such as the older Spider-Man games like Separation Anxiety, the Animated Batman Adventures game on Genesis, and the classic TMNT and X-Men games. Only thing is I think the game I'm pitching would be better as a 3D, third-person game like the Arkham games, but I'm sure 2D could work as well.

What do you guys think? What's your ideal game?

Jak and Daxter 4.

Edit: Also would love a combination of Destiny and No Man's Sky. Take the gunplay and lore of destiny with the open world discovery of NMS and tell a cohesive story with plenty of post game exploration and I'm in.

World in Conflict 2.

This won't be CGI anymore, this vacuum/aerosol bomb will be actual ingame graphics with today's technologies. The eSport-focused gameplay was not selling well back in the day, today everyone would love it. No one hated this game, it got very high scores back then. Just sales were low, which could be changed by a proper marketing campagn. Make it happen.

giphy.gif

The whole CGI trailer is here, and yes it is great. "Bill! Bill, get outta here, you gotta see this!" Spoiler alert: Bill had a really bad day.

Sotha_Sil

I'd love an Indiana Jones game with a focus on puzzles and challenging platforming sections.

Levels a mix of smaller, linear areas and mini open worlds.

KraytarJ

After playing Life is Strange it reignited the desire I got after play TWD:S1 a few years ago for a game done in that style where the story is completely player driven. Like have episodes that differ wildly from another due to story choices. I realize it would be very hard (and expensive) to pull off but it would be pretty cool.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A combat flight simulator with high-end graphics.

By simulator I mean a game that focuses on tactics and not on arcady dog fights. I remember the thrill of playing F-22 Lighting II and trying to bomb a target without being spotted by air defense.

Plum

After playing Life is Strange it reignited the desire I got after play TWD:S1 a few years ago for a game done in that style where the story is completely player driven. Like have episodes that differ wildly from another due to story choices. I realize it would be very hard (and expensive) to pull off but it would be pretty cool.

The weird trend towards "5 episodes and only 5 episodes" hampers things a bit. If Telltale, Dontnod or someone else made a game with even 3 episodes this kind of system could be done.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Also, I'd like to see a Star Trek TNG Telltale game.

Musolf815

I have this big vision for a story, and I've dreamed about having the resources/talent to make a game of it. I've spent so much time thinking about the story and characters that it's kind of hard to put it into game form now but I think it's still possible.

It'd be like a hybrid of Persona, KOTOR, WWE Smackdown HCTP, and the 2001 Bionicle PC game MNOG.

Basically:
-A huge fantasy story exploring a wounded world, still with time for smaller moments and lots of time to spend hanging out with the characters (some kind of social link system too).
-Towns and cities to be explored, each with their own story arc feeding into the longer narrative, or at least the larger ones being important
-My dream for combat would be for an RPG style that would somehow emulate pro wrestling and movie fights, starting from HCTP's "crunchy" style of combat. It would have to be quick, snappy and fun a la P4G.
-And art style inspired by the Bionicle game:
latest

Mangai_Volcano_in_MNOG.png

latest

I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'll say it here again:

Clark Kent Adventure game.

Kind of a sad irony that, of course, it was a Batman game that got announced by Telltale, I still think a Clark Kent game would be both more interesting, but also more useful in helping people to understand the side of the character that is often excised in promotions, recent adaptations, and in particular, video games.

Its an idea that's mulled in my head ever since I started thinking on why Superman games typically haven't worked out so well, whilst of course, Batman has done pretty well for himself. And whilst people will say that its down to the fairly obvious issue that most titles don't successfully recreate his power set - ie, letting you be Superman - I kinda came to the conclusion that that's the wrong approach entirely.

Instead, you should be playing as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter who is also secretly the world's greatest superhero. You should be following seemingly small rumours, leads, or otherwise mundane stories handed to you by Perry White, and investigating them, uncovering the threats to people, the city of Metropolis, and perhaps even the world (maybe save that for a sequel). Try to manage that delicate balance of having a secret identity and the urge to help people, but also maintaining a normal life to come home to each day - surrounded by people whose jobs are all about finding things like the former.

From a mechanical point of view, Superman's array of powers are a potential goldmine in terms of simple, straightforward, and reasonable, but non-intuitive puzzle design, that would let a player determine multiple ways to solve problems, but from a developer point of view, still let them keep to the same general results. So as a basic example - Clark find himself at a bridge he needs to cross in order to reach a shady part of town. There's no-one manning the controls, the bridge is up, and its the only bridge across that particular river. What then, does he do? He could:
- Use a small burst of super speed and/or super strength to leap across
- Investigate the office that controls the bridge, using his X-ray vision to find the instructions to lower the bridge with no damage
- Use his super strength and/or heat vision to snap the chain for the bridge, bringing it down permanently
- Float across
All valid ways to approach it, given the character, that might come to players differently, but still validate how they approached the problem. Its all got potential for consequential storytelling too, where perhaps the player might screw up - like with the example of snapping the chain. Great, a nice and simple solution, but that means some monster being made by the mad scientist hiding in the area can get out into the wider city when it escapes. That's their fault, its on them, and now its up to them - as Superman - to go fix it.

Ideally, I'd kinda wish for a 2D game more than a 3D one; something that would look akin to a moving comic book, effectively speaking. But I could still see potential in a 3D form.

JTripper

I have this big vision for a story, and I've dreamed about having the resources/talent to make a game of it. I've spent so much time thinking about the story and characters that it's kind of hard to put it into game form now but I think it's still possible.

It'd be like a hybrid of Persona, KOTOR, WWE Smackdown HCTP, and the 2001 Bionicle PC game MNOG.

Basically:
-A huge fantasy story exploring a wounded world, still with time for smaller moments and lots of time to spend hanging out with the characters (some kind of social link system too).
-Towns and cities to be explored, each with their own story arc feeding into the longer narrative, or at least the larger ones being important
-My dream for combat would be for an RPG style that would somehow emulate pro wrestling and movie fights, starting from HCTP's "crunchy" style of combat. It would have to be quick, snappy and fun a la P4G.
-And art style inspired by the Bionicle game:
latest

Mangai_Volcano_in_MNOG.png

latest

You had me at HCTP.

Ploid 3.0

A game built around Final Fantasy XI's Beastmaster class. Or a gameplay mechanic like it as I hear Puppetmaster was awesome as well. One of the best classes I played in a game and I miss it. I'm hoping that new game where you can take control of animals and have them aid you in situations will scratch that itch, but it might not.

JTripper

I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'll say it here again:

Clark Kent Adventure game.

Kind of a sad irony that, of course, it was a Batman game that got announced by Telltale, I still think a Clark Kent game would be both more interesting, but also more useful in helping people to understand the side of the character that is often excised in promotions, recent adaptations, and in particular, video games.

Its an idea that's mulled in my head ever since I started thinking on why Superman games typically haven't worked out so well, whilst of course, Batman has done pretty well for himself. And whilst people will say that its down to the fairly obvious issue that most titles don't successfully recreate his power set - ie, letting you be Superman - I kinda came to the conclusion that that's the wrong approach entirely.

Instead, you should be playing as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter who is also secretly the world's greatest superhero. You should be following seemingly small rumours, leads, or otherwise mundane stories handed to you by Perry White, and investigating them, uncovering the threats to people, the city of Metropolis, and perhaps even the world (maybe save that for a sequel). Try to manage that delicate balance of having a secret identity and the urge to help people, but also maintaining a normal life to come home to each day - surrounded by people whose jobs are all about finding things like the former.

From a mechanical point of view, Superman's array of powers are a potential goldmine in terms of simple, straightforward, and reasonable, but non-intuitive puzzle design, that would let a player determine multiple ways to solve problems, but from a developer point of view, still let them keep to the same general results. So as a basic example - Clark find himself at a bridge he needs to cross in order to reach a shady part of town. There's no-one manning the controls, the bridge is up, and its the only bridge across that particular river. What then, does he do? He could:
- Use a small burst of super speed and/or super strength to leap across
- Investigate the office that controls the bridge, using his X-ray vision to find the instructions to lower the bridge with no damage
- Use his super strength and/or heat vision to snap the chain for the bridge, bringing it down permanently
- Float across
All valid ways to approach it, given the character, that might come to players differently, but still validate how they approached the problem. Its all got potential for consequential storytelling too, where perhaps the player might screw up - like with the example of snapping the chain. Great, a nice and simple solution, but that means some monster being made by the mad scientist hiding in the area can get out into the wider city when it escapes. That's their fault, its on them, and now its up to them - as Superman - to go fix it.

Ideally, I'd kinda wish for a 2D game more than a 3D one; something that would look akin to a moving comic book, effectively speaking. But I could still see potential in a 3D form.

I dig this idea a lot. Superman choosing to be Clark Kent was always interesting to me. Much like how Batman is who Bruce chooses to really be when no one is looking, not the big playboy millionaire.

I had a similar idea to the Superman game, but it would be for Spider-Man. Similarly, you play as Peter Parker, who OCCASIONALLY does spider-man stuff, but that's not 24/7. He's got a dayjob, friends, family, romantic entanglements, rent money, all that shit to balance in-between quipping and swinging around on a web.

I had a similar idea to the Superman game, but it would be for Spider-Man. Similarly, you play as Peter Parker, who OCCASIONALLY does spider-man stuff, but that's not 24/7. He's got a dayjob, friends, family, romantic entanglements, rent money, all that shit to balance in-between quipping and swinging around on a web.

General sentiment either way - a superhero game that explores and focuses on the person behind the mask, either proverbially or literally. The only time I can recall a civilian identity even properly being used and showcased was the brief bit as Bruce Wayne in Arkham City.

JTripper

This made me think of a Daredevil game with Phoenix Wright inspired court/lawyer gameplay except much darker and including guest appearances by other Marvel characters. Only catch is how you would see the world as a playable Matt Murdock.

General sentiment either way - a superhero game that explores and focuses on the person behind the mask, either proverbially or literally. The only time I can recall a civilian identity even properly being used and showcased was the brief bit as Bruce Wayne in Arkham City.

An adventure game based on Matt Fraction's Hawkguy would be perfect.

Tomb Raider 2013 but no enemies except the elements. I enjoyed the environment puzzles and just trying to survive, though no superhardcore straight-up crafting or making food or anything.

Just a crazy, 6-8 hour game where I'm surviving/trying to escape from a shipwrecked island.

This made me think of a Daredevil game with Phoenix Wright inspired court/lawyer gameplay except much darker and including guest appearances by other Marvel characters. Only catch is how you would see the world as a playable Matt Murdock.

I'm reminded of some indie project that I just can't remember the name for, which is kind of a murder mystery. Either way, its got a sort of... outlined only aesthetic - you only really see the shape of objects, not colour and such. I think that could fit with Matt's sonar senses.

MoonFrog

My most wanted, unannounced, and unexpected game is a new, glorious Metroid structurally true to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime with a Samus who is more actively characterized, but characterized well. It could be 2D or 3D (First- or third-person). It could be really strange and new in some ways. But I want the essence of Metroid, and I also want a good depiction of Samus.

My second most wanted game is probably a FE that makes good on the gameplay ambitions of RD, has a story as detailed and epic as the Jugdral games, and is a return to FE's own style as opposed to the more 'mainstream anime' style of Awakening.

My third is a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger that plays with the turn-based experiments of 90s 'B-team' Square and has art and character direction in keeping with the original game.

My fourth is a Civ VI that rivals Civ IV.

A fighting game based on RuPaul's Drag Race where all the queens battle for supremacy before facing mama Ru herself. Godzilla-size scale with destructable environments. Drag costumes would switch during special moves like in Pocket Fighter.

Mexen

I assume a question like this would elicit some extremely ambitious games, which is great, but I think one that I would really want would actually be somewhat simplistic in concept.

Absolutely feel this way too. Mine is something I see Nintendo making, offline co-op, simple gameplay mechs but tonnes of fun. A platformer with puzzle elements.

A WW2 Battlefield in the new Frostbite engine.

Reminds me of another thing. Inspired partly by Extra Credits' videos on the subject, but how about a WW2 game that based its campaign on somewhere other than Europe or the American Pacific Theatre. Give me a game based about the Battle of Singapore, or an extended tour in North Africa (Call of Duty 2 still sticks with me because of that).

And the thing is Bruce Wayne is basically Batman. Like his public persona is just bullshit, and his few friends all know he's Batman and interact with him like he's Batman. So him being Batman 24/7 in the video games is ok. But something is really missing when you're Spidey 24/7, ya know? A huge part of the appeal of that character is Peter Parker, and all the everyday struggles he has. Once you get rid of that, its just the surface Spider-man stuff. Which, again, is still really cool, cuz he has a great costume and cool powers and he's funny. But I don't think you can ever really tap into what makes Spider-Man such an endearing character unless you have just as much of a focus on his unmasked side.

An FPS GTA with Rainbow Six-like mission planning has always been a dream game for me.

Far Cry 2 came closest to this but doesn't have the freeroam city I crave...

NoKisum

something something AAA-produced samurai combat

Or an Open World Online Co-Op Action RPG

I know both exist, but they're not allowed outside of Japan, so I have no way to play them.

Actually, id really love a BMX game modelled off the Skate games. One that nails the weight and physics of a bike. Build your own trails with a well designed 3D modeller and be able to share your trails online. Make it about the rhythm and flow of riding, instead of being a stiff trick game.

Warren Spector's one city block but on a space station like Babylon 5.
My ultimate dream is for someone to be foolish enough to give me the money to make what I call the One Block Role-Playing Game, where we simulate one building, one city block perfectly.

sn00zer

Pockets

You play an anthropologist with the task of categorizing and recording the final days of dying worlds. Each "world" is a small environment contained in snowglobe sized sphere. The "hub world" you move around in is a small dank office in a bad part of town that contains an elaborate machine in which you place one of the snow globe encased worlds. The machine transports you into the environment contained in the spheres (called Pockets).

Once inside these spheres you are given a large environment to move freely within, bounded only by the edge of the glass sphere. The idea is that you move within the environment taking pictures of animals and collecting planet samples. You use a set of tools acquired throughout the game to get better pictures and explore new areas in older environments.

For example, in the first area you have a list of animals to photograph and a vague idea of where they are. You take your photos, squirrel like creatures, maybe some birds etc. One of the notes you have talks about a mysterious creature in a cave that hasnt been photographed. You find the cave and can hear the creature within. You can see its eyes, but every time you get close it goes deeper in the cave, too dark to take a pic. Later in the game you receive bait bags, you can then return to the first level and use the bait the pull the creature out of his cave to get a picture of a beautiful rainbowy colored toad the size of a horse. Maybe later you find a lantern, return back to the first level and now explore the cave with the frog, where you find another pocket deep within the cave. Bring the pocket back to the apartment and you now have a new level to explore.

Basically you would be able to find and collect levels within the environment, either in hidden areas or behind puzzle. Pockets could have varying sizes. One could be a small city that has reached and wrapped around the sphere its enclosed in with peoples worried what happens they run out of room. Another could drop you in the middle of a small lake with a tiny island with only a tree, come back later with scuba gear and explore the sunken castle hidden beneath the island. Others could be long forgotten pockets that were mean to be destroyed but were lost, leaving only a large dune of sand.

A Gurren Lagann game made by Platinum.

And there we go.

In general Anime have been woefully under-utilized for games.

I've always been shocked we've never had a big current gen evangelion game for example. Seems like they always go for some budget game at best.

Sadsic

Paper Mario-esque battle system and cooking/collection systems with enormous Xenoblade X-size world and minimal story for open world adventuring with simple but interesting graphic style. Game is based around collecting all recipes/badges/armor/whathaveyou and there are thousands of each. Can level up to 999

Top Bottom