• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're given a Star Citizen level budget (~300 million) - what kind of game would you make? (don't tell me your non-300m dream game)

Path finder style RPG meets Settlers/AoE meets Dragons Dogma.

You build your town in the view and/or style of Settlers. You get attacked. You have the option of fighting the attack using AoE style view and commands or warp on to the ground and you have a full action-RPG like Dragons Dogma.

Basically, Command and Conquer: Renegade (the FPS) set in an action RPG/dungeon crawling world.

Or Dragons Dogma 2.

The AC Game based in my dreamsetting, Austria and Bavaria between 1880s and 1914. Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, a mountainous region around Salzburg, a foresty region around Vienna and a lakes and hill style region around Munich, interconnecting rivers, roads, etc. Great focus on a Economy System with trade routes and maybe even a micromanagement game within a game (think motherbase in MGS, or much more elaborate system from the homestead in AC3), rest just not too fancy more kind of "old AC formula" style gameplay in the cities (at that time almost every famous landmark in those cities as they are known today is built) and a decent cast of celebs: Ludwig II. (his assasination may be a key plot point), Empress Sissi and her hubby, Bismarck, young Albert Einstein, maybe a Heir of Wagner, etc...

Lux R7

Basically another Dragon's Dogma but 70% of the budget goes to graphics and optimization, the rest in writing and quest depth.
Same music and sounds, same gameplay.

A mass effect open world but of the rockstar polish with attention to detail and scope unheard of. And you play as a detective. Its an open world dialogue sim.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

MGS saga - Before Big boss story, to a prime Solid Snake open world missions + A shadow moses like Metroidvania layout

Star wars universe - KOTOR to Episode 9

A naughty Dog detailed open universe Savage Starlight without wokeness

Shen Mue saga done right

Sleeping Dogs sequel all over South East Asia

Guardian Heroes Sequel

Give Miyazaki all the money to make another Souls game

Like Mccheese said; Shen mue style game with Street Fighter backstory and Characters

For jokes
No mercy sequel lol
Stardew Valley sequel
Shining force 3 translated

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Shenmue IV.

Or a third person thriller set in a historical environment. If I had some spare cash afterwards I would set Playground to develop PGR5 in an instant.

Last edited:
Only one? I want to make at least 3 :D

Valkyria Chronicles with RDR2 graphics quality , X-COM:Enemy Unknown depth of gameplay and cast as big as Tactics Ogre game.

Tactics Ogre with PS5 quality assets

Jeanna d'arc PSP like game but made with FF style.

The Matrix. With today’s tech all the action and effects can be executed nicely. Third person, single player with separate co op modes you and your pals fighting the machines whilst the single player concentrates more on the blue pill side of things. A dev like Rocksteady could pull this off well imo.

A Dead Space RPG. Character creation, choices, dialogue wheel, planet to planet exploration like Mass Effect. I’d hire John Carpenter to do the score.

Tulustan

Neo Member
A Mechwarrior game during the dark ages with a very robust single player and a multiplayer that works like how Chromehounds did it.

eNT1TY

Am i expected to make the money back? If so something safe, like an mmo survival battle royale openworld adventure gaas with a stylized but not too goofy presentation with pockets of single player alternate advancement avenues for your character resembling a campaign of sorts as well as full on sweaty streamable team-based and ffa content for esport cosumption. Fully licensed contemporary market focused soundtrack and celebrity endorsements via heavy social media ad campaigns, 3/4 of the budget will be devoted to this.. A modest injection of superficial wokeness, enough to placate the blue check mark brigade but insignificant and shallow enough to not agitate my bread and butter demographic via a diverse cast of 100 playable characters with a wide binary range of personal expressions along with realistic chest and posterior physics (on atleast 2/3 of the cast), conveniently obtainable via a generous gacha system, none of that 0.6 percent chance bullshit here but rather a hefty 0.825. Unity engine will be pushed harder than any other game or project would ever dare. Cross-play with mobile versions, one time purchase, optional monthly subscription or monthly premium subscription.

bitbydeath

got any proof before making accusations out of your ass`?

It’s not that hard to look at what they’ve produced so far and go hmmm this looks like utter crap given the time and money spent. I was a bit harsh with the 90% figure but obviously the game looks like under $50M was used on it compared to other $50M games.

No Mans Sky was said to cost $10M. Imagine what they could have done with another $40M.

I'd make a stick figure game about throwing 8 influencers into a space station and watching 2 of them kill the rest. Small budget, free marketing, very large profit and free time for my own personal hobby Metroidvania VR

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I'll take 100 mil for me and hire a team and give them a choice to make Kotor 3 or 1313 with 200mil budget

Last edited:

kunonabi

Mine would be a multi-genre, tiered gaming infrastructure title.

At its largest level it would be a civiliazation/simcity sort of nation building game. At its second level it would be like an rts/risk sort of strategy game. However, that would essentially be a game unto itself played by other people than those doing the nation building. The nation builder portion would influence the terrain, resources, etc. but all the actual wartime decision making would be up to the strategy game players.

On the next level you would have an fps game similar to battlefront/call of duty where each soldier being commanded by the strategy portion users would attempt to fulfill the orders and missions given.

Each portion would have an effect on each other but would still be a totally complete experience that would have entirely separate playerbases.

And it wouldnt end there. You could have a Trauma Center style game for treating troops,etc., a Death Stranding delivery type game for moving resources or a splinter cell-styled stealth game for more covert operations.

Obviously you do could do all sorts of other genre titles too but seeing the macro/micro aspects of Nation building and war gameplay cooperation seems like the real priority.

Starfield

It’s not that hard to look at what they’ve produced so far and go hmmm this looks like utter crap given the time and money spent. I was a bit harsh with the 90% figure but obviously the game looks like under $50M was used on it compared to other $50M games.

No Mans Sky was said to cost $10M. Imagine what they could have done with another $40M.
You sound like a professional financial analyst. I take everything back then. May I ask what you do in real life?

BlackM1st

Banned
Pong clone.

Then I will be busy trying to spend 299.999.900$

At least my sponsors will get a playable game in the first week or so and there will no smoke/mirrors.

Honest pay for honest work 👍

I’d fund Dirt Rally 3.0, global illumination, seasons, full time of day, every possible kind of weather. Engaging campaign brimming with personality and character of the real legends, Sainz, McRae etc. Pvp stage rally.

Give it the budget it deserves.

Top Bottom