• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2012 Awards

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Spelunky <3

It's a shame that and Mark of the Ninja didn't do better. Hope a lot of people check them out in 2013.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
A shame there's so much lame "wahh this isn't a video game" nonsense. TWD was brilliant, and I look forward to playing Journey on my bro-lo el cunado's PS3 some day.

All this talk about Sleeping Dogs + the GoD sale has piqued my interest. I usually don't like open world games, but everyone keeps going on about how solid the gameplay is. Gonna have to bite, I think..

so1337

Because it's a bad game.
tumblr_losq5xNeGn1qensylo1_500.jpg

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
A shame there's so much lame "wahh this isn't a video game" nonsense. TWD was brilliant, and I look forward to playing Journey on my bro-lo el cunado's PS3 some day.

All this talk about Sleeping Dogs + the GoD sale has piqued my interest. I usually don't like open world games, but everyone keeps going on about how solid the gameplay is. Gonna have to bite, I think..

It's really great, I think you should at least give it a try.
If you play the demo it really isn't that great, full game is much better.

Heh :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK copped Sleeping Dogs! I have spare MS points - should I buy any of this DLC while it's on sale?

Dragon Master pack 320
Nightmare in North Point Pack 280
The SWAT Pack 160
The Street Racer pack 160

I think we would agree that, given the ending, the legacy of Lee's relationship with Clementine comes down to
how the lessons he passed on to her before his death will prepare her for survival throughout the rest of her life
. I think that the game kept enough characters' fates open-ended
(Lily, Glen, Omid, Christa, Ninja Girl, Hershel)
to imply that one could survive, and assuming that the zombie outbreak is a worldwide phenomenon, there are all sorts of places that could have fared better than Georgia.

With that in mind, the dark atmosphere of the game makes it clear that survival isn't going to be easy, or even the most likely outcome. This ongoing tension adds weight to everything you tell Clementine, because she is young and likely to take your guidance to heart. Since you are not advocating for a "happy" ending, the distinction we're drawing here is a pretty subtle one.

I would agree with all of the above. But my point was not that ongoing survival was impossible, but rather that the story gives no indications that it's at all worthwhile in the post-zombie world. There's no point in the story that being alive is less than miserable at worst and anxiety-inducing at best. And without any suggestion in the story of a safe bastion or cure to zombification, it's hard to see the point of continuing the struggle. Maybe nihilism is the point of TWD, but it's a tough pill to swallow.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Usually don't give a shit about the results but happy that the "non-game" won. Shit understands what it is to be a game a lot better than half the garbage on the list.

It looks superficial and simple from the surface, if you deny yourself to look for the reasons as to why it works so well, but it is the opposite of that. That is not to say that all games should be like Journey, but every aspect of the game has more depth behind it than you guys may realize and it is the fact that it utilizes this medium so perfectly that it's so incredibly popular.

It is superficial and simple. All the depth you guys see you bring it yourself with whatever feelings and emotions the beautiful imagery gives you. Strip the graphics, strip this whole its a life changing experience thing and the game is as basic as it gets. It does a lot of things well, gameplay is not one of them. Wait let me clarify that, the gameplay works fine in the game. Its just the most basic, entry level your grandmother can play it gameplay and level design.

Now playing mark of the ninja. Thx gaf!

Next sleeping dogs.

I think this is by far the most interesting way to react to a GOTY list. Going through and playing games on the list you wouldn't have if not for the consensus suggestions and individual remarks. It's like seeing Top Albums of the Year and taking the time to listen to them instead of being defensive and unreasonable. It's a productive and positive way to receive the information.

I think this is by far the most interesting way to react to a GOTY list. Going through and playing games on the list you wouldn't have if not for the consensus suggestions and individual remarks. It's like seeing Top Albums of the Year and taking the time to listen to them instead of being defensive and unreasonable. It's a productive and positive way to receive the information.

I agree. Would everyone like to see a list of recommendations based only on the votes from those on your affinity list?

Dawg

I agree. Would everyone like to see a list of recommendations based only on the votes from those on your affinity list?

Certainly. My entire list is 80+, so I'd probably play every recommendation.

I'll give Capcom 6 more months and then I'm just picking up Dragon's Dogma for whatever console it runs best on.

This game is really expensive here, I guess the price went up because stock is low. It's like 40£ for the PS3 version on amazon.co.uk

IrishNinja

much love to OP & cheese for the work they put in here, and overall it went well...kinda wish VLR ranked higher but for a VN it did well

More people should play Sound Shapes.

i really did enjoy the demo, just waiting for a sale/PS+ freebie

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
TeethMummy
1. Muitnorts (96)
2. btkadams (89)
3. CambriaRising (87)
4. I speel my dreenk (82)
5. Moofers (80)
5. vferrel (80)
7. FunkeeFresh (78)
7. pseudocaesar (78)
9. benny_a (77)
10. TwizzlerScribble (76)

2618366.jpg

Diamond

Would be awesome.
Also : is the "hipster list" of last year out of the picture ? The idea was interesting.

Thanks for the hard work to you and Timetokill by the way, reading all the stats was neat.

I got the recommendations working. Stand by...

Would be awesome.
Also : is the "hipster list" of last year out of the picture ? The idea was interesting.

Thanks for the hard work to you and Timetokill by the way, reading all the stats was neat.

I would need the algorithm from Durante.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It is superficial and simple. All the depth you guys see you bring it yourself with whatever feelings and emotions the beautiful imagery gives you. Strip the graphics, strip this whole its a life changing experience thing and the game is as basic as it gets. It does a lot of things well, gameplay is not one of them. Wait let me clarify that, the gameplay works fine in the game. Its just the most basic, entry level your grandmother can play it gameplay and level design.

Your grandmother can play Tetris and Angry Birds too. What are your thoughts on those two games?

SolidusDave
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46627946&postcount=1477
1. [PSV] Gravity Rush (Action) = 9 points
2. [360][PS3][PC] Max Payne 3 (Shooter) = 8 points
3. [360][PS3][PC][IOS] The Walking Dead (Adventure) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [360][PS3][NWU][PC] Mass Effect 3 (RPG) = 6 points
5. [360][PS3][PC] Dishonored (Adventure) = 6 points
6. [PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 6 points
7. [PSV] Persona 4: The Golden (RPG) = 5 points
8. [360][PS3][PC] Sleeping Dogs (Action) = 5 points
9. [PS3] The Unfinished Swan (Adventure) = 5 points
10. [360][PS3][PC] XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Strategy) = 4 points
11. [PS3] Yakuza 5 (Adventure) = 4 points
12. [360][PS3][PC] Far Cry 3 (FPS) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
13. [PC][AND] Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (Adventure) = 3 points
14. [PS3][PSV] Sound Shapes (Platform) = 3 points
15. [360] Fez (Platform) = 3 points
16. [IOS] Middle Manager of Justice (Simulation) = 3 points
17. [PC][IOS] Botanicula (Adventure) = 2 points
18. [PSV][PC] Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Platform) = 2 points
19. [360][PS3][PSV][PC][IOS][AND] Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Racing) = 2 points
20. [360][PS3] Asura's Wrath (Action) = 2 points
21. [360] Trials Evolution (Platform) = 2 points
22. [PSV] Wipeout 2048 (Racing) = 2 points
23. [PSV] LittleBigPlanet Vita (Platform) = 2 points
24. [PS3][3DS] E.X. Troopers (Shooter) = 2 points
25. [PC] Dear Esther (Adventure) = 2 points
26. [WII] Rhythm Heaven Fever (Rhythm) = 2 points
27. [PSP] Yakuza: Black Panther 2 (Adventure) = 2 points
28. [PC] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (MMO) = 2 points
29. [PSV][3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Adventure) = 2 points
30. [360][PS3][PSV][PC] WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship (Racing) = 1 point
31. [360][PS3][PC] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Shooter) = 1 point
32. [PC] They Bleed Pixels (Platform) = 1 point
33. [PC] Thirty Flights of Loving (Adventure) = 1 point
34. [360][PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw (Action) = 1 point
35. [PS3][PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Sports) = 1 point
36. [360][PS3][PSV][WII][3DS][PC] Rayman Origins (Platform) = 1 point
37. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Adventure) = 1 point
38. [PC] Resonance (Adventure) = 1 point
39. [PC] Endless Space (Strategy) = 1 point
40. [360][PSP][PS3][PSV][WII][NWU][3DS][PC][IOS][AND] FIFA 13 (Sports) = 1 point
41. [360][PS3][PC] Binary Domain (Shooter) = 1 point
42. [PC] Phantasy Star Online 2 (RPG) = 1 point
43. [NWU] ZombiU (Horror) = 1 point
44. [PC] The Secret World (MMO) = 1 point
45. [360][PS3][PC] Borderlands 2 (FPS) = 1 point
46. [360][PS3][PC] Spec Ops: The Line (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
47. [PC] Guild Wars 2 (MMO) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
48. [360][PS3][PC] Inversion (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
49. [360][PS3][PC] Medal of Honor: Warfighter (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Mh not bad, the bolded ones are the games I already consider to buy some day. So the top12 games were predicted quite nicely, especially considering I don't have a Vita so skip those.

You peeps all have excellent taste:

1. reddwarf42 (107)
2. Minion101 (104)
3. MormaPope (95)
4. therealminime (91)
4. Zyrusticae (91)
6. tadcalabash (90)
7. Deadly Cyclone (87)
8. Iksenpets (86)
9. SuperBonk (85)
10. FateBreaker (82)

Surprised GW2 didn't break the top 20. The only MMO I've ever really enjoyed. At 100 plus hrs and counting.

Are these the people that voted Gravity Rush with me? :D

an-is-Obsolete
1. Shining Sunshine (122)
2. btkadams (120)
3. darkside31337 (106)
4. KalBalboa (102)
5. Valerie Cherish (90)
6. Kesagiri (85)
7. Acquiescence (82)
7. baekshi (82)
9. Pie and Beans (81)
9. TurkishEmperor (81)

Actually recognize quite a few of these people, except Shining Sunshine. We should hang out in the same thread sometime lol.

Not all because GRush was my #1 too.

High Five!

High Five!!

Man-is-Obsolete
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46655292&postcount=1670
1. [360][PS3] Dragon's Dogma (RPG) = 8 points
2. [360][PS3][PC] Max Payne 3 (Shooter) = 6 points
3. [PSV] Wipeout 2048 (Racing) = 5 points
4. [PS3] Tokyo Jungle (Action) = 4 points
5. [360][PS3][PC] Sleeping Dogs (Action) = 4 points
6. [PS3] The Unfinished Swan (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [360][PS3] Silent Hill: Downpour (Horror) = 3 points
8. [PC][IOS] Super Hexagon (Action) = 3 points
9. [PC] Hotline Miami (Action) = 3 points
10. [PC] Planetside 2 (MMO) = 3 points
11. [360][PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (RPG) = 3 points
12. [360][PS3][PC][IOS] The Walking Dead (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [PS3] Twisted Metal (Action) = 2 points
14. [360][PS3][PC] Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (Shooter) = 2 points
15. [360][PS3] Dead or Alive 5 (Fighting) = 2 points
16. [360][PS3][PSV][PC][IOS][AND] Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Racing) = 2 points
17. [360][PS3] Resident Evil 6 (Horror) = 2 points
18. [NWU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Platform) = 2 points
19. [360][PS3][PC] Borderlands 2 (FPS) = 2 points
20. [360][PS3][NWU] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Fighting) = 2 points
21. [PS3] Papo & Yo (Adventure) = 1 point
22. [PS3] Starhawk (Action) = 1 point
23. [PSV] Dokuro (Puzzle) = 1 point
24. [PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (RPG) = 1 point
25. [360][PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw (Action) = 1 point
26. [IOS][AND] Rayman Jungle Run (Platform) = 1 point
27. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey (RPG) = 1 point
28. [PSV] Lumines Electronic Symphony (Puzzle) = 1 point
29. [360][PS3] Asura's Wrath (Action) = 1 point
30. [360][PS3][PC] Spec Ops: The Line (Shooter) = 1 point
31. [360][PS3] SSX (Sports) = 1 point
32. [360][PS3][ARC] Persona 4 Arena (Fighting) = 1 point
33. [NDS] Pokémon Black/White 2 (RPG) = 1 point
34. [3DS][IOS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Rhythm) = 1 point
35. [NWU] ZombiU (Horror) = 1 point
36. [PSV][3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Adventure) = 1 point
37. [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Action) = 1 point
38. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
39. [WII] The Last Story (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
40. [360][PS3][PC] Binary Domain (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
41. [360][PS3][PC] Dishonored (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

THIS IS NEAT!!! No joke I either own most of these games or have interest in them. This actually has put Dragon's Dogma more on my radar now.

And am going to buy Unfinished Swan today. Thank you PS+

EDIT: Download link for the game recommendations http://www.filedropper.com/gaf-goty2012_3

I went and updated the OP and stats to reflect the updated data/affinity/recommendations download, as well as the fixed Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition results.

Top Bottom