• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q&A with David Cage (on the next game, the industry, PS4, sequels, QTEs, movies, etc)

Newspaper 20 Minutes had a live chat session with David Cage. The readers asked a lot of interesting questions and I've translated them, along with Cage's answers.

Source: http://www.20minutes.fr/vousinterviewez/1232181-20131004-interviewez-david-cage-createur-jeux-video

You've interviewed David Cage - video game creator

InCDqIo.jpg

YOUR QUESTIONS - The founder of the studio Quantic Dreams has answered

CONCLUSION:

Thank you all for your questions, it was a real pleasure for me to answer. My job is a little weird - I spent three years at the bottom of the mine... but meeting the players, whether in real life or through a chat session is by far my favorite part because we can "meet" and share our passion.

One last quick note to say that I'm not on ANY social network - neither Facebook nor Tweeter (sic), and people who use my name would be better off to do something with their lives rather than borrow other people's...

I hope you'll enjoy Beyond. It's a very different (kind of) game, an emotional experience, far from the usual rules of video games. That's three years of my life, I put a little of my soul and many sleepless nights in it...

I'm sure we will have the opportunity to talk again soon to discuss your experience in the life of Jodie Holmes. I hope it will move you and touch you as it touched me during these three years, living with her.

See you soon.

---------------------------------------------------

@Dirtounet : Have you ever played Metal Gear Solid?

Obviously! Hard to miss such a game! Hideo gave me the box of the complete saga (sounds pretty cool, right? ;-) I'm replaying it these days, with my thirteen year-old son who's discovering the game. It's really interesting to see how he loves Solid Snake and is fully immersed in the universe. Great games never die!

By the way, I promised him I would buy him the latest installment of the saga... I'll have to keep my word, no choice...

Annette: I would like to send this email to you as the mother of a 13 year-old boy... Like all boys his age, he is passionate about games but also by the creative aspect and game development. He is currently in 3rd year in secondary school and he'll have to do an internship this December, for a period of one week. Would you be ready to welcome him?

An online internship application!!! ;-)

It's best to write to rh@quanticdream.com explaining your request. But I warn you that we receive a LOT of requests for internships and taking into account the size of our company, we can not respond to all applications... but you can try. We regularly try to open the studio to young people for internships and visits.

I recently met a French developer working with Kojima in Japan who told me he submitted a resume to work at Quantic Dream when he was 14 years-old... Besides the fact it made me a bit depressed ;-) I found it amusing to see that the young people for whom Quantic Dream has helped find a vocation have found their way and actually made it their job. Who knows, maybe your son will work at Quantic Dream one day ?...

Perplexo: Why don't you develop more on PC? Have you ever thought of making a multiplayer "MMO" game?

Today, Quantic Dream has an exclusive relationship with Sony to develop games on Playstation. The world of MMOs is very interesting, although it does not necessarily correspond to my approach and ideas that I want to develop. I'm interested in the cooperation between players, social relationships, connectivity, less by the "ramping" side, the repetitive nature of quests, etc. But things change quickly in this area, too, and I look with interest what MMO studios are developing.

fabi51664: What video game has impressed you the most? Do you have a crazy project that you would like to make?

The slightly crazy project that I'd like to do is the next one I'm working on. It's an immense challenge of writing and concept, in addition to being a technical challenge... I hope we'll manage to carry it out.

Many video games have marked me, but if I had to name one, I think it would Ueda's ICO, for its sense of poetry, its universe, the unique emotion it evokes.

Rakccity: Hello Mr. Cage, I would like to know if you could give me some information (even the tiniest bit) about a sequel to "The Nomad Soul", which I found very original and innovative for its time...

Hello, I can give you one information: there is no sequel in development for Nomad Soul ;-)

We briefly considered the possibility when the game came out but nothing has been written or developed in this direction. There are so many stories and emotions to create that I struggle to revisit things I've already developed... I know a lot of people liked Nomad Soul, I hope the new games we're working on will interest you as well.

Mon_pseudo-303050: In retrospect, do you not hink that the Quick Time Event (QTE) sex scenes in Heavy Rain were a little unnecessary? Moreover, is the strong use of QTE related to a trauma caused by the Arcade version of "Dragon's Lair"? :)

I'm asking you the same question ;-)

Unless I'm mistaken, I think you're confusing things: there was no QTE sex scene in Heavy Rain. I had experimented with the idea in Fahrenheit, my previous game, but it seems really difficult to "play" a sex scene, or at least I haven't found the solution yet...

About "QTEs", the interface of Heavy Rain was well received by most people who have played the game. I think we should just accept gamers may have different expectations about their game experience: some want games based on "skill", their ability to control the interface and to compete with other players, others expect a game based more on feelings and less on their ability to move their thumbs faster. I think there must be something for all tastes and the interest of video games is to offer different games to suit different tastes.

Gogan: If I compare you to (the French version of) Hideo Kojima, do you like it?

We had the pleasure to meet in Tokyo two weeks ago, and I (like everyone else) am a great admirer of his work. We have things in common, differences too, but I have for Hideo and some other Japanese designers immense respect. I can only be flattered that people compare us to each other, although I'm very far from having his talent and career, and even though our work is actually quite different.

darkrocker: Hello! You are the head of a French studio, what are the pros and cons of this situation compared with foreign studios? Do you think that France could become a key country for video game designers?

I'll give you a somewhat blunt answer: no. France is a country of pioneers, since a lot of French artists participated in the invention of this media, twenty or thirty years ago. Ullrich, Herbulot, Ancel, Raynal, Lange, Chahi, Cuisset (sorry to those I forgot) all of them are people who have created this media and produced memorable games.

Today, the situation is very different. Many French studios have shut down, most of the talent that we train go abroad, including Canada, where the grass is greener. Developing in France is a challenge every day, where everything is complicated, bureaucratic, heavy, where -contrary to what people say- not everything is done to create jobs. Let me add that this is not the result of one particular government but the result of a lack of courage and vision for thirty years.

We continue to fight to stay here, even to the point where we recruit American or Japanese people because the French went abroad - a strangely grotesque situation...

France is a great country in many ways, with talented and well-trained people, but can also sometimes be annoying...

To answer your question, it's highly unlikely that France will become the reference country of gaming. Beyond my modest company, when Ubisoft wants to create 3,000 jobs, they do it in Montreal, not in Montreuil. There may be a reason for that.

MrsAstralex: Where does your inspiration come from, to offer a game like "Beyond Two Souls" with a scenario based on the esoteric and the paranormal? Have you drawn elements from films of various works to make be such a story, both moving and surreal? When I looked at the scenario played the other night, I immediately thought of the film 'Ghost' as well as 'Voix Blanche' ['White Noise'?]. I can not wait to dive into your creation on October 9.

Ironically, I think the real subject of "Beyond" is not really the paranormal. This is the story of a young woman who has a link with a spirit, but it's an excuse to tell the life of someone who must live with her difference and accept herself as she is.

I hope that the game will offer these two levels of reading for those interested.

I have not really looked for inspiration in one film in particular, I especially wanted to tell the story of the life of this character and show how she changes and evolves over time, how the different moments of her life make her what she becomes.

But I'm sure the players will find links to one movie or another ;-)

kara: Big fan of your games, and especially the atmosphere that surrounds them. I'd love to know if you've already started working on your next project, and if so, will we have information before the end of the year?

Hello. Yes, I've been working on the next game for a while now (between the development and the promotion of "Beyond"...). A part of the team has been working on it for about two years, including the development of the PS4 technology. I'm back to writing as soon as next month - gives me enough time to go to the premiere of "Beyond" in Japan ;-)

I'm very, very eager to get back to it (I've done about 50% of the writing), because it's by far the most ambitious and original idea that I've had to this day (and also a certain challenge...).

Gogan: When will you make a franchise with several episodes? Will you keep making original creations or find partners? (e.g. TellTales [sic] and "Walking Dead"...)

TellTales, if you hear me... ;-)

Quantic Dream has avoided sequels so far to try to offer each time a new and unique experience.

Maybe that will change one day if I feel I have something more to say about a world or characters I have already created.

I try not to engage myself in a Marketing approach (must make a sequel to make more money) and continue to follow my passion, which rather attracts me to new ideas.

Working with another developer is certainly not excluded, but it has to make sense for both studios. I think TellTales does not need us, in this case ;-)

ElsassCoyote: Hello mister Cage. Do you not think that, on a global point of view, video games are on a stagnant path, in recent years? Little risk-taking, sequels after sequels, little innovation, excessively dumbed down gameplay...

Hello. Yes, I'm of the same opinion. For several years we've seen in the gaming industry a divide between big productions with budgets in excess of $ 50 million (more in some cases) and teams of hundreds of people focused on sequels with little creative risks because of the financial stakes.

On the other hand, you have "Indie" teams who create original and creative experiences with very little means. Hollywood went through a similar period in the '70s with the emergence of independent directors like Spielberg, De Palma, Scorsese, etc.. We know what these people later became...

We'll see if the same thing happens in the video game industry.

I often say it, but it's the players who decide the future of the industry: buy creative games and the industry will continue to produce more, buy original games that take risks and you will encourage the industry in this direction.

Today, buying a game today is a vote, almost a political act, by which the player says what he wants in the future.

Tezorus: Hello Mr. Cage! Do you think that the arrival of new devices such as "Oculus Rift", creating a new level of immersion, will allow developers to create deeper and more complex video game experiences where emotion becomes a real part of the gameplay? Are you interested in this at Quantic Dream?

Of course, we are interested in all developments on hardware.

There are also some very interesting things at Sony. All devices that are experimenting with augmented reality are obviously very intriguing, although it will probably be necessary to rethink the approach to create dedicated gaming experiences.

For all new machines, the important thing is the experience, the content that they allow to create.

Augmented reality will clearly open new, exciting possibilities, and we look at it very closely.

Jojodreux: First of all congratulations for your talent and the quality of your productions. Was it easy to convince great actors like Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page to embody the main characters of your last work? How do they perceive the video games as a media? What do you see as the next major evolutions of video games?

Hello. Convincing Ellen and Willem happened very simply, really. We contacted their agents in Hollywood by sending them a copy of "Heavy Rain", press reviews, the scenario of "Beyond" and a letter explaining why I thought they would be extraordinary in the game.

We then met to discuss further details of the characters and the story, they were convinced and that's how it all began (as simple as that!).

We were fortunate to come across not only talented actors, but also on people who were curious, interested, willing to put themselves in danger to live a new experience as actors.

About the next evolution in video games, there will be obviously a major technological change with the arrival of the Playstation 4, which will enable to make a new step in terms of visual realism. But the real change I expect is meaning: I look forward to the arrival of video games with something to say, that are meaningful.

Interactivity is an extraordinary media and we've only explored a tiny part of it so far.

jubru62: When will your games be available on xBox (sic)?

"Heavy Rain" and "Beyond" are financed and distributed by Sony, so exclusively on Playstation. These games will most likely never come out on a competing console.

Imposator: First of all congratulations for "Heavy Rain"! It's a wonderful game I don't get tired of (I have not yet completed all the possible endings!). Is a sequel planned? And if so, how will you justify it (no, I do not spoil!)?

Hello. There is no sequel planned to "Heavy Rain" for the moment.

We preferred to work on new ideas and explore another world, working on another experiment, with "Beyond".

In sixteen years of existence, Quantic Dream has never made a sequel. It's both for fear of boredom or repetition, and the idea that people who are interested in our work expect us to take risks and to surprise them.

That does not mean we will never make sequels, but I must feel I have something new to say on the same universe.

"Heavy Rain" has really been appreciated by many fans around the world, I don't want to recreate an experience less successful than the original game, just to make money...

WonderfulDream: Hi David. I loved "Heavy Rain." It moved me deeply and I enjoyed playing it again and again. What are the films that inspired you to create the game? Do you already have an idea for the next game (which I think will come out on PS4)? :)

Hello, pleased that you have enjoyed "Heavy Rain."

For "Beyond", I tried to get away a little from direct influences. I tried to create something a little more personal, far from the highly codified world of film noir that I could use in "Fahrenheit" or "Heavy Rain."

Players will surely see references in "Beyond" - voluntary or involuntary ones, but I hope I have managed to give "Beyond" an identity of its own.

As for the rest of the question, we have been working for nearly two years on a new, extremely ambitious PS4 project, very different from what we have done so far.

For each game, we try to give ourselves new technical and artistic challenges, to explore new ways. I can't really say more for the moment...

From a purely graphical point of view, our demo "The Dark Sorcerer" gives an idea of ​​what it's possible to make on a PS4...

oleador05: Personally you seem very concerned about the artistic and cinematographic aspect of your games. Would you be willing to leave the game world for the film industry?

I'm primarily interested in creating experiences based on emotion.

Today, interactivity is for me the most fascinating medium there is, because of the special relationship established with the player. But if tomorrow I feel that I have a story that lends itself better to a linear narrative, I would have no problem exploring other media and see what I'm able to do with it.

MR: Do you know the French studio Lexis Numérique? Do you think they can survive in such an economy?

I obviously know Lexis and Eric Viennot, and I have great sympathy and respect for his work.

It's impossible for me to comment on the company and its future, simply because I do not know enough about his current projects.

We've made artistic choices and as entrepreneurs who are very different, each one follows his own path. I wish him lots of success, because he's an intelligent and talented man.

Sebastian: Hi David. As a fan of your work since the release of "Quanta Cola" on supermarket shelves, I cannot help myself, even before trying "Beyond", to ask you what your plans are for the future and your ideas about building links between cinema and video games. Will you continue to revolutionize these areas by making a double project, one day - a film you see at the theaters which would complete the experience of a game? In a futuristic utopian society? Thank you and good luck to you!

"Quanta Cola", I haven't heard the name of that drink in thirteen years! It does reminds me of the good memories of "Nomad Soul", indeed!

To answer your question, creating an experience of two media is a fascinating experience... and a particularly complicated one.

There are a lot of artistic challenges, but also in terms of production - in particular to synchronize two development processes that have very different lengths, reassuring everyone on that one experience will not be a problem but an advantage, etc.

There's the SciFi Channel in the U.S. trying such an experiment by combining a game and a series, but it's still a huge challenge... which obviously tempts me a lot ;-)

-------------------------------------

Presentation of the Q&A:

With Michel Ancel, he's the most famous French video game creator. Combining video games and movies, David Cage directs actors (this time Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe) whom he helps blend into the skin of the characters and get reborn in 3D.

After "Heavy Rain," his new creation "Beyond: Two Souls," will be on sale from October 9. What to expect? a supernatural thriller and emotion more than action.

nib95

Banned
Not bad, nothing too off the cuff. Just excited to play Beyond and see what they have cooking for the PS4!

Marvel

could never
That was a great read, thanks for posting this up. It's nice to know a little more about Mr Cage.

Good read. Looking forward to playing Beyond this week and seeing something of their PS4 project. Considering the Dark Sorceror demo seems to be the baseline of what they are going to deliver on PS4, I am rather excited...

synce

Thanks for translating. His comments on the upcoming PS4 project are almost too much to bear... I NEED FOOTAGE NOW. Beyond is easily one of the top 5 games this gen for me.

Didn't realise QD had never made a sequel to any of their games. Seems so strange these days ha.

They were kicking around the idea of doing a sequel to Omikron back during the early Casting/Heavy Rain days. But for the most part they simply don't make games where sequels could easily be made for them.

Endo Punk

really hope their PS4 game is sci-fi

It's called Singularity which does bode well!

If its sci fi and takes nods from the Kara tech demo then I'm definitley on board despiting never purchasing a QD game. I would love to interact with run down sci fi world setting and not rely on gunplay.

I've been thinking this too

I personally would like something with the tone, atmosphere of say....the first hour of the film Event Horizon or Duncan Jones' Moon.

Have you seen the film Europa Report? I would like a QD game done like that, explorers visiting a moon or planet for the first time with some brief recorded on camera style elements like Europa Report or Blair Witch to add tension.

I don't think David Cage would do a game like that but I would love to see it personally

mrklaw

MrArseFace

perhaps something with soulless beings that walk stiffly and cannot exhibit emotions?

sorry, too easy :) I'd love something sci-fi too. The fact they've been in the works for 2 years and it is 50% written bodes well for a potential 2014 announcement (even if only a tease)

DmC Devil May Cry wasn't bad, if that's what you're implying.
I mean they never made sequel either. But more because their game bombed everytime and they keep burning bridges with their publisher.

DMC actually looks pretty good. I wonder if they'll get to make a sequel for that.

Top Bottom