• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox business Showcase Announced for February 15

Topher

Gold Member
It obviously was, which is why he said it was recorded before it came out.

That's your assumption, which may or may not be correct, but at no point did Tom Warren backtrack on his statement that he "knew for a fact" that a "big one" was coming to PlayStation 5 other than Hi Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves. Since he said he was not liberty to say what game it was, it would not be any of the games that he cited from "sources" in his article.

Last edited:

T-0800

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

reinking

Gold Member
No not at all. He’s just the CEO of Xbox Microsoft Gaming. What possible sway could he have determining business decisions for… Xbox.
FIFY. His title changed after the ABK merger. He has even more reason to make sure the overall health of Microsoft gaming is going well and not just Xbox. It should have been a hint to us that things are changing.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
So the list is currently:

Hi-Fi Rush (Bethesda) released 2023
Sea of Thieves (Rare) released 2018
Pentiment (Obsidian) released 2022
One Big Unannounced title.

The important piece of information will be not what games per se but why Microsoft is doing it.

This will lay out the expectation going forward.

mrqs

So the list is currently:

Hi-Fi Rush (Bethesda) released 2023
Sea of Thieves (Rare) released 2018
Pentiment (Obsidian) released 2022
One Big Unannounced title.

The important piece of information will be not what games per se but why Microsoft is doing it.

This will lay out the expectation going forward.

I think expecting anything to remain completely exclusive is naive. It's over. Honestly, not launching everything on other platforms doesn't even make sense if the console is just not working out.

Xbox will become a gamepass machine and that's it. That's the exclusive. Everything will find its way to PlayStation and the Switch.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I guess a few warriors will show up at the beach party in a funeral attire. But if anything, a couple of games going multiplatform should be celebrated.

It’s a good thing for the industry, even if Microsoft delays those releases significantly, so I don’t understand the hate, rather than celebrating what MS is doing. Nonetheless, Phil Spencer needs to be fired. If you’re going to make a strategic change, he is not the one to do it.

mrqs

Didn’t Jezzy-poo say he was disappearing for a while? What happened to that lol
He said that about 10 times in the last 12 months. He's too emotional imo. I have stopped having him on my daily news digest because 90% of the time he's just annoying.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Didn’t Jezzy-poo say he was disappearing for a while? What happened to that lol
I do hope that if the news is going to seriously impact someone emotionally or mentally that they do take a break to process it. I mean that for both sides. TBH, I kind of get it. While I do not take this stuff too seriously, I have at times had to turn off a football or basketball game and get away because it was getting to me.

Fredrik

Can’t wait to see, “Comments have been turned off” on the YouTube post.

Or do they like bloodbaths?
Seems like they do going by how they’ve handled everything. Sitting there silent when social is on fire and then announcing that they’ll announce something next week and then announce a podcast on monday and wait til thursday to air it. They’re doing everything in a bad way.

I had already mostly moved over to PC, only used the Xbox occasionally, but these couple days has pushed me over to PC completely. I’m done. Even for PS too, there was rumours they would do timed exclusivity on Xbox which would add annoyance to PS if I would start using that instead. So I’m moving on. I just don’t want anything to do with these consoles anymore. They can say whatever now. I’m building a living room PC instead.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It’s a good thing for the industry, even if Microsoft delays those releases significantly, so I don’t understand the hate, rather than celebrating what MS is doing. Nonetheless, Phil Spencer needs to be fired. If you’re going to make a strategic change, he is not the one to do it.
Depending on how you look at this, none of this is bad. As you said, its good for the industry.

But let's not pretend here... because what may be good for the industry, and good for Microsoft, may just not be good for Xbox. And if these rumors turn out to be true, that's exactly what happens.

If there is a shift, its that they start making "some" of their games available on other platforms. Now what the ignorant and/or naive fail to see, is that the only reason they do that at all is that whatever they have been doing to this point (releasing exclusively on Xbox/PC and gamepass), simply has not worked. Those platforms are not enough to sustain them. Hence why a need for a strategy change.

And if that is true, and the reason why this change is happening, then why does anyone think it would stop at just the games they announce this week? Like doing it just for these 2 or 3 games suddenly solves all their problems and they can pack up all the dev kits they have acquired and send them to storage? That's even more stupid than not seeing what kinda Pandora box day 1 gamepass was opening.

But that is not even the interesting part... what is interesting, is that with some common sense, you can extrapolate from here where things go. And if you do so, without any head-in-the-sky reasoning, or fanboyism, you arrive at one conclusion down the road, and that's; that what is good for Microsoft, is not necessarily good for Xbox.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So this is being worked in to come out with Nintendo's event too?? That's crazy.

PaintTinJr

I mean... It started on a Mac...

Lots of Microsoft apologists regularly hand wave away the importance of the graphics API war Microsoft started with Windows 98/OG Xbox, but you can see exactly why Microsoft targeted Halo for acquisition because it was an important Opengl based game, as shown by the emphasis of the developer in that video around him telling the audience it was Opengl, and its no surprise that Mojang, Activision, Blizzard. idSoftware are all poster boys of Opengl/Vulkan use and have or are being whitewashed with DirectX.

This is the reason why I think there's still a chance that those at the very top that appointed Satya might still just refuse to let Xbox go third party, because they know DirectX is a USP pillar of Windows, and without that could lose home PC OS market share worldwide that will be worth multiples of their $90b investment in publishers, even if it ended up worthless by staying PC/Xbox.

edit:
Despite the low resolution, low polygon counts, low frame-rate, lack of animation key frames and rough texturing it was lovely to see Halo tonally in a gritter form, mostly because of the higher quality continuous sub pixel geometry to fragments algorithm of Opengl compared to that nasty discrete per pixel algorithm of DirectX we've had to endure since the beginning, and was clearly to fake performance parity in the original DirectX Doom port.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I don't care where Xbox releases their games as long as they're on PC day one.

But I REALLY hope they announce this rumoured handheld. That would be awesome. Also the new, improved controller. And a elite version of that day 1. 🤩

Top Bottom