• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox business Showcase Announced for February 15

Topher

Gold Member
Where is the hype train?

XXL XXL posted the train. Fair warning......just be careful where you sit.

kfnrObh.png

Astray

Gold Member
Sega went bust. That's why Sonic now appears on every platform because there is no SEGA console. Microsoft are not going bust.
Microsoft Gaming Division is absolutelt going bust. Expect everything out of them in the next half-decade imo.

Why else would they un-exclusive anything in the 1st place?

Just so we're clear, it could be Mario tomorrow or Nate Drake.. Industry is ruthless and no one is immune.

Crayon

Microsoft Gaming Division is absolutelt going bust. Expect everything out of them in the next half-decade imo.

Why else would they un-exclusive anything in the 1st place?

Just so we're clear, it could be Mario tomorrow or Nate Drake.. Industry is ruthless and no one is immune.

With or without xbox, they are going to be stuck trying to run abk and bgs for a minute. Who knows how that's going to go, though.

Astray

Gold Member
With or without xbox, they are going to be stuck trying to run abk and bgs for a minute. Who knows how that's going to go, though.
Badly.

They are already pivoting on strategy after only 3-4 years have passed since the Bethesda acquisition.

They pissed anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of Microsoft's cash pile on ABK alone, and now they are already taking a machete to its workforce (which is really the company's most valuable capital) and cutting pieces off it. You can imagine the impact of these dumb moves on ABK and Bethesda's future product quality.

During all of this, they got handed their ass by Sony and Nintendo, two companies that work on a fraction of the budget they got. And the only solution for salvation is to capitulate and give those two companies everything valuable about Xbox on a silver platter.

Phil and his people have no clue how to run a gaming company, be that 1st or 3rd party.

Crayon

Badly.

They are already pivoting on strategy after only 3-4 years have passed since the Bethesda acquisition.

They pissed anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of Microsoft's cash pile on ABK alone, and now they are already taking a machete to its workforce (which is really the company's most valuable capital) and cutting pieces off it. You can imagine the impact of these dumb moves on ABK and Bethesda's future product quality.

During all of this, they got handed their ass by Sony and Nintendo, two companies that work on a fraction of the budget they got. And the only solution for salvation is to capitulate and give those two companies everything valuable about Xbox on a silver platter.

Phil and his people have no clue how to run a gaming company, be that 1st or 3rd party.

You're right. Or at least probably right. They will not have automatic success as a big publisher. The one foot in, one foot out stance with the exclusives will not help at all.

Gudji

I don't put a lot of credence in MLiD but thought this was worth sharing for the sake of speculation, apparently they're a year behind on SoC development compared to Sony and don't see the next Xbox hitting the shelves till 2027.

QPGolDx.jpg
Can't believe we're already talking about a new generation and PS5 and XSX came out like 3 years or so ago.

Del_X

Can't wait for Spencer to put on the biggest big-dicking swagger only to slowly disappoint for the next several quarters just like always.

Dane

I don't put a lot of credence in MLiD but thought this was worth sharing for the sake of speculation, apparently they're a year behind on SoC development compared to Sony and don't see the next Xbox hitting the shelves till 2027.

QPGolDx.jpg
MLiD doesn't know shit and has been debunked over the times.

He only had a majority accuracy with Intel at 60-65%, any known trustable insider has a far higher accuracy.

Many IT companies are going to have layoffs in the next 24 to 36 months unfortunately.
Yup. Gaming is going to get hit harder than most places but IT companies are in for a rough ride.
Your colleagues you've mentioned working on ports--how close do you think most of those are to completion?
I have no realistic idea. Some of these projects I know aren't due until 2027 at the earliest, but theres a lot of games that are gonna get ported as time goes on.

I think its more useful to discuss what the average time to port to Nintendo or Playstation takes. That won't give you an idea of when it will launch, since there are so many other factors that need to be considered, but on average I think 4-6 months is pretty reasonable, depending on how capable your engine is at being rendered on PS/Nintendo as is. The less support the engine has for those platforms, the longer it'll take.

Astray

Gold Member
You're right. Or at least probably right. They will not have automatic success as a big publisher. The one foot in, one foot out stance with the exclusives will not help at all.
If you trust all the leaks, their strategy is supposedly to release all their software on every competing platform AND continue managing their own platform.

So the average consumer has one of two choices:

1) Invest in say, a Playstation or a Switch or a PC, while ignoring the Xbox platform, and pick and choose what to buy and what to skip, which cannibalizes their hardware and pc store business.

2) Invest into Xbox, and become the proud owner of a device and library in the least successful one, while essentially beta-testing titles for your brother and sisters with other systems, a ridiculous choice that no one in their right mind will take.

Meanwhile, other devs and publishers watch as Microsoft takes their %30 on the little that gets sold on their marketplace and uses it to compete with them on the more lucrative ones, so now it's an easy choice to skip the shitty marketplace that your competitor runs and just go to Sony Steam Epic GOG and Nintendo, meaning less royalties for Microsoft.

An inherently contradictory strategy that self-cannibalizes from the get-go, just like their last strategy.

Elios83

I think the multiplatform strategy has been pretty much leaked at this point. I doubt they will announce what's next after the initial batch of titles and they'll take the opportunity to damage control the situation and allow people to accept it slowly.
So what I'm curious about is if in the event there will be announcements relatively to the future of Gamepass as well.

I think its more useful to discuss what the average time to port to Nintendo or Playstation takes. That won't give you an idea of when it will launch, since there are so many other factors that need to be considered, but on average I think 4-6 months is pretty reasonable, depending on how capable your engine is at being rendered on PS/Nintendo as is. The less support the engine has for those platforms, the longer it'll take.
if this is a definitive truth, Phil and friends should be clear with the messaging. the Xbox community/brand/reputation can't endure much more abuse.

if this is a definitive truth, Phil and friends should be clear with the messaging. the Xbox community/brand/reputation can't endure much more abuse.
Just to clarify - i'm not saying thats the timeframe for when any port they discuss on Thursday is set to drop. I'm saying that is a reasonable timeframe for how long it takes to port a game to either of those two platforms, with the understanding that the engine your game runs in may have not shipped on those platforms before, or if your development team hasn't shipped to those platforms in awhile.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

QPGolDx.jpg

Was there a Microsoft/Intel rumor I missed?

Elios83

There won't be any clarity. Everything will be damage controlled with half truths (ex. there will still be exclusives) and some commitments (ex. on the hardware) to make people digest the changes slowly.

Just to clarify - i'm not saying thats the timeframe for when any port they discuss on Thursday is set to drop. I'm saying that is a reasonable timeframe for how long it takes to port a game to either of those two platforms, with the understanding that the engine your game runs in may have not shipped on those platforms before, or if your development team hasn't shipped to those platforms in awhile.
what im saying is that, Phil and friends can't come out and say (in a PR way) that only select games will be multiplatform or trying to obfuscate the truth about their new strategy just to appease the core fanbase.

Jaybe

So what I'm curious about is if in the event there will be announcements relatively to the future of Gamepass as well.

I’m curious on this as well. It’s been over 4 months since the Activision acquisition closed. Absolutely nothing from the publisher’s back catalog has been added to Game Pass. What’s going on there? Of course there is COD they should comment on. It doesn’t seem like it makes economic sense to put it day 1 on Game Pass or even put it on at all. Further, we don’t know what was in the ABK and Sony contract and the new MS and Sony contract relating to the 10-year deal.

The other Game Pass item to consider is how long EA Play remains a part of Game Pass Ultimate. Years back, Xbox needed them as an added perk. However, now, Xbox has so many more studios to fill a premium content perk. What triggered this thought was a deep discount sale last year that was exclusive to Xbox and Game Pass members only. Things like dead space remake for $10 and others that were well beyond other sales that were prior or since. Made it seem like EA taking a shot at getting as much revenue from Game Pass subscribers as they could from them at the time.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
wait a minute....are you seriously in denial despite the evidence in front of you?

I was skeptical of Halo or Forza, but I've now been given more information and yeah, I can see Microsoft slowly going full third-party.

If this is the case then I'm eager to hear how this won't be a detriment to their hardware business when the claim is they'll continue making hardware.

There won't be any clarity. Everything will be damage controlled with half truths (ex. there will still be exclusives) and some commitments (ex. on the hardware) to make people digest the changes slowly.
a lot of people feel that way. if this is indeed the case, i dunno....it would be another example of spineless Phil "lying" to its fanbase. And i don't think the brand and its fanboys can't take much more.

Dane

Oh trust me dude, I've been vocal on here about his validity as well, I only share those "leaks" for the sake of speculation.
That guy is regarded as a massive AMD fanboy and can't even get his own favorite company info right, not to mention he has a hate boner for Xbox who he called once as a "server hardware reused into a console"

I was skeptical of Halo or Forza, but I've now been given more information and yeah, I can see Microsoft slowly going full third-party.

If this is the case then I'm eager to hear how this won't be a detriment to their hardware business when the claim is they'll continue making hardware.
that's going to be the spin of the century.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Can't believe we're already talking about a new generation and PS5 and XSX came out like 3 years or so ago.
If it makes you feel any better, internally, both Xbox and Playstation have been talking about the next systems since before the current ones launched.

Elios83

a lot of people feel that way. if this is indeed the case, i dunno....it would be another example of spineless Phil "lying" to its fanbase. And i don't think the brand and its fanboys can't take much more.

It's just not the smart thing to do, it's obvious the fans are being cooked slowly but for example what's the point of them announcing that Indiana Jones will be on PS5 at some point when it won't happen this year for the simple fact the port won't be ready due to previous business decisions?

They'll tell they are still committed to make hardware, they won't tell it will take the form of a Windows based Steamdeck and/or a Microsoft branded product line like Surface.

Actually they should confirm if they're heading towards a 100% digital future this year first.

I just hope ms doesnt write off and delete these companies and their ips forever because they didnt turn a profit on xbox

Top Bottom