• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood announced ($20, standalone, PC/XB1/PS4)

epmode

I wanted to cancel my order as soon as I heard about the no pre-release reviews but GMG had already sent me my Steam key. I should really take my own advice and stop pre-ordering games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm horrible at math

How long should it take on 6mb/s?

6Mbps is ~600KBps after factoring in overheads, so about the same; 6MBps, on the other hand, would mean less than two hours. The pre-load size on Steam is actually ~3GB smaller than the unpacked install size (34.4GB versus 37ishGB) and I imagine the console versions are also slightly compressed.

DOWN

Banned
I wanted to cancel my order as soon as I heard about the no pre-release reviews but GMG had already sent me my Steam key. I should really take my own advice and stop pre-ordering games.

I'd say this is a low risk one. It's a low price standalone with a great foundation from TNO. Caution is important for the bigger releases for sure.

DrKelpo

Banned
I believe that the difference between the German and other version of Wolfenstein was not violence but rather the omission of any Nazi imagery and references. The Nazi signs were replaced by something else and the term Nazi got replaced by fascist.

Yep, in short.. Nazi imagery is forbidden in Germany but when used in a educational, critical or art-background(for example movies) it's OK... But video games still are not considered as art in this context, so even if they're highly anti-nazi, swastikas are not allowed. There needs to be a serious discussion here about video games and their role in culture.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hoping there's a bit more technical oomph in Old Blood over New Order (which I thought looked stunning anyway) due to not being cross generation.

Moff

is there a way to see what version you're buying on steam before paying?
wolfenstein:TNO was supposed to be completely uncut in my country, but they somehow fucked it up at release and I couldnt play my physical copy with the UK key (I had to use vpn). but they corrected that a few weeks later. but now I am not sure what I am buying when I preorder the old blood on steam.

JaseC

is there a way to see what version you're buying on steam before paying?
wolfenstein:TNO was supposed to be completely uncut in my country, but they somehow fucked it up at release and I couldnt play my physical copy with the UK key (I had to use vpn). but they corrected that a few weeks later. but now I am not sure what I am buying when I preorder the old blood on steam.

If you're in Germany, Austria or Switzerland then you're buying the modified version. The rest-of-world version of the game is only region-locked for Germany, though, so if you're in one of the other two countries, you can buy the game from Nuuvem (South American VPN required to purchase) and not have to worry about workarounds come release day.

Moff

If you're in Germany, Austria or Switzerland then you're buying the modified version. The international version of the game is only region-locked for Germany, though, so if you're in one of the other two countries, you can buy the game from Nuuvem (South American VPN required to purchase) and not have to worry about workarounds come release day.

thanks!
how do you know all this? :O
I preodered thy physical UK but it seems my retailer will only have it over a week later, so I'm tempted to buy from nuuvem.

JaseC

thanks!
how do you know all this? :O
I preodered thy physical UK but it seems my retailer will only have it over a week later, so I'm tempted to buy from nuuvem.

You gradually pick up on how things work when your goal is to own everything. ;)

Why is the preload 37GB on Xbox One but <7GB on PS4?

Presumably you only need to download 7GB before the game is partially playable... or somebody stuffed up and that's all the data there is.

Nothing in the OT or official site mention it. Is there any bonus for owning/playing New Order? Any unlocks or something? I got New Order on Xbox One but with the small discount figure I'll get Old Blood on PS4. Just making sure before I snag it.

DOWN

Banned
Why is the preload 37GB on Xbox One but <7GB on PS4?

The PlayGo (don't think they ran very far with actually branding it, but the feature is there nonetheless) part is all you need on PS4 to be allowed to play, so that's all they list initially. You can still check the progress of the full game download in the Downloads afterward.

First I had TNO on Xbox One.
Traded it in and never finished it.

Then I recieved the PS3 version as a gift.
Awful texture streaming/pop in, traded it in and never finished it.

I purchased the Xbox 360 version when it was on sale on Black Friday for $20.
Still haven't finished it.

But $17.99 on PS4 for a prequel title? You bet your ass I pre-ordered and will finish this.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished pre-loading. TNO was my game of the year last year (tied with Alien actually), so I'm super excited for tuesday.

Frillen

First time I will pre load a game on PS4. I just pre ordered the game and automatic download is activated. But how do I know it's actually pre loading?

sector4

Really? That's awesome! Thought TNO looked good, but I'm not complaining if they improve the graphics further.
Yeah, I think it was a Game Informer mag (I couldn't find the quote on their site) basically saying that by dropping the old gen versions they were able to make the game look a lot better by adding a lot more detail into their lighting and particle effects. I'll have a look when I get home :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

They'd have to royally fuck up to make this not worth buying if you liked TNO. That game was a perfect 60fps, few bugs, and the mechanics were polished. Much of this game will likely just be asset reskins.

DOWN

Banned
Hoping there's a bit more technical oomph in Old Blood over New Order (which I thought looked stunning anyway) due to not being cross generation.

The developers confirmed as much :) I'll try and find a quote for you!

Really? That's awesome! Thought TNO looked good, but I'm not complaining if they improve the graphics further.
I'm sure there's more than one quote, but he confirms more detailed and larger environments here http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-s-new-in-wolfenstein-the-old-blood/1100-6426667/

They'd have to royally fuck up to make this not worth buying if you liked TNO. That game was a perfect 60fps, few bugs, and the mechanics were polished. Much of this game will likely just be asset reskins.
While I agree with this and am optimistic, why in the world are they withholding this from pre-release reviews?

When it comes to id Tech 5 games, their biggest eyesore is invariably the inconsistent texture quality and that's something only storage space can solve. ~37GB for a 6-to-8-hour campaign bodes well in that regard, though.

Isn't the problem with megatextures is that the textures are too consistent in quality? With regular textures, the textures that players are going to see up close often can be much higher resolution that textures that will only be seen from a distance, whereas with megatextures everything in an environment is of the same texture quality.

This is just what I assumed, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure it had a release date embargo as do all Bethesda games if I'm not mistaken.
Huh, OK. Well, if the game is solid the worst their embargo will do is delay me a couple of days.

This may be a lil blasphemous but I'm hoping this DLC will be more replayable than the core Wolfenstein. When replaying a game, especially a shooter like Wolf, I tend to want to skip beyond the story and go right to the action - and while the game's pacing makes for an excellent first run-through, the non-skippable cut-scenes and in-game story bits make it more of a trudge than I'd like when replaying it.

Its also why I still dream of a horde mode or something purely mechanics-focused - something to just drop in and unleash hell with.

Huh, OK. Well, if the game is solid the worst their embargo will do is delay me a couple of days.

This may be a lil blasphemous but I'm hoping this DLC will be more replayable than the core Wolfenstein. When replaying a game, especially a shooter like Wolf, I tend to want to skip beyond the story and go right to the action - and while the game's pacing makes for an excellent first run-through, the non-skippable cut-scenes and in-game story bits make it more of a trudge than I'd like when replaying it.

Its also why I still dream of a horde mode or something purely mechanics-focused - something to just drop in and unleash hell with.

I get it. Unskippable cutscenes are an unforgivable sin in the context of replaying a game. I get that the game developers work hard on the cutscenes, but at least allow you to skip them after you've watched them once or cleared the game or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While I agree with this and am optimistic, why in the world are they withholding this from pre-release reviews?
Probably some dumb Bethesda policy. It's not like it's a huge game being rushed out for a holiday season or anything. In fact, it's coming quite a bit later than I would have expected since the launch of TNO.

Agreed

Adore TNO x1000000, but it isnt necessarily inviting for jump n out play due to its heavy narrative structure.

I'm also in the camp that wishes they toned down the story bits, or at least included a few more balls-to-the-wall action bits in the first half of the game instead of jamming all of them towards the end.

Though the DLC seemingly has combat challenge rooms, so unless they're frustratingly hard or something, they should be some nice shooting fun.

Mr. Tibbs

I don't think many people would disagree with you on that. A horde mode would have been awesome in The New Order. I'm really happy to hear that MachineGames is ditching 3rd person cutscenes for The Old Blood. I wonder what what those challenge rooms are?

Super Bunnyhop posted a fantastic video review of The New Order.

"[The New Order is] more interesting to think about than it is to actually play... It seems to want to evoke the brazen attitude of old-school gunplay but its not fully committed to it. There are a few contradictions in the mechanics here that keep it from being an elegantly designed shooter."

His main criticisms are:

1. The players slow movement speed means you can't make good time while overcharged so you can't move out of cover quickly. Coupled with a fragile damage threshold, you're forced into stop and pop firefights on the higher difficulties.
  2. The upgrade system is at odds with how the game is meant to played. It requires a bizarre playstyle if you want to unlock anything.
  3. Jank tech. Cutscenes look great but the game world is grainy and under processed.

Guri

Be careful calling this a DLC, since many might be confused with it. It's a standalone game and you don't need The New Order for it.

mr stroke

Totally forgot this was coming out this Tues. Loved Wolfenstein, so I am in since GMG has this for $15. Even if its half as good as the first one it will be worth the $15.

jediyoshi

Any idea if this is short like DLC would be? Or is this a 15-20 hour full game?

Neither, they've cited 8~ hours. These aren't too rare anymore, we've had things like Blood Dragon, Gat out of Hell, the Assassin's Creed spinoffs, the GTA3 episodes, etc.

Top Bottom