• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood announced ($20, standalone, PC/XB1/PS4)

DOWN

Banned
Has it been discussed at all why this is New Gen only? Is it because they didnt want to spend the time making sure it actually worked on last gen? Or.... because they upped the graphics/textures (lol idtech5) or something else?
Praying it's graphical. Also digital is less popular on last gen where sales in general are already really slow now, making it higher risk for a digital standalone of scale like this.

Plus cross gen in 2015 is so desperate lmao

Buy Rise of the Tomb Raider™ on Xbox 360™ This Holiday

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Praying it's graphical.

When it comes to id Tech 5 games, their biggest eyesore is invariably the inconsistent texture quality and that's something only storage space can solve. ~37GB for a 6-to-8-hour campaign bodes well in that regard, though.

AllGamer

Where can I get a uncut physical release for the PS4? UK?

As far as i know The New Order was "uncut" in UK, France and Benelux, maybe even more. The Old Blood will probably be uncut there as well.

sprinkles

I caved in and bought the censored German pre-order via GMG. I really hate censored games, but the ordeal to get an uncut version of TNO running here was just too much:

• VPN needed to buy the game on Nuuvem
  • VPN needed to register the game on Steam
  • VPN needed (with crappy Italian speeds) to be able to download the game which was huge
  • Using the steamappid trick to be able to run and play the actual uncut game I payed for
  • No Steam Achievements due to that trick

I caved in and bought the censored German pre-order via GMG. I really hate censored games, but the ordeal to get an uncut version of TNO running here was just too much:

• VPN needed to buy the game on Nuuvem
  • VPN needed to register the game on Steam
  • VPN needed (with crappy Italian speeds) to be able to download the game which was huge
  • Using the steamappid trick to be able to run and play the actual uncut game I payed for
  • No Steam Achievements due to that trick

Germany really has to get over this whole censorship thing. Isn't it about time they looked at the law again anyway?

Huggers

So Inglorious Bastards was okay in Germany but this isn't? Seems strange to make the definition between the two types of violence

JaseC

So Inglorious Bastards was okay in Germany but this isn't? Seems strange to make the definition between the two types of violence

There's no reason to suspect the level of violence has been modified as that element of Wolf14 proper was left as-is for the German Edition.

Bluth54

I'm playing through the New Order right now for the first time and I'm really enjoying it, it's a surprisingly good FPS. Once I finish that up I'll probably jump right into The Old Blood.

nOoblet16

There's no reason to suspect the level of violence has been modified as that element of Wolf14 proper was left as-is for the German Edition.
I believe that the difference between the German and other version of Wolfenstein was not violence but rather the omission of any Nazi imagery and references. The Nazi signs were replaced by something else and the term Nazi got replaced by fascist.

JaseC

I believe that the difference between the German and other version of Wolfenstein was not violence but rather the omission of any Nazi imagery and references. The Nazi signs were replaced by something else and the term Nazi got replaced by fascist.

Yeah, that was my underlying point. ;)

nel e nel

Has it been discussed at all why this is New Gen only? Is it because they didnt want to spend the time making sure it actually worked on last gen? Or.... because they upped the graphics/textures (lol idtech5) or something else?

We're 2 years into the current gen, and there has been a steep drop off in the number of cross-gen titles. Black Ops 3 is current gen only too. Stores are trying to clear out their last gen stock.

Time to upgrade or work on your pile.

We're 2 years into the current gen, and there has been a steep drop off in the number of cross-gen titles. Black Ops 3 is current gen only too. Stores are trying to clear out their last gen stock.

Time to upgrade or work on your pile.

Oh I think my rig is more than fine enough for the game. I was just hoping that someone would maybe surprise me with some pleasant info that it looks better. But this is idtech5 we are talking about... runs about the same as Crysis 3 while looking so much worse.

Tommyhawk

Germany really has to get over this whole censorship thing. Isn't it about time they looked at the law again anyway?

It's not (only) Germany but Bethesda.
They make it pretty much impossible to import (or just buy it on a non-German online store) due to the whole region lock mess (you can only run the German version with a German IP all other versions won't work or need a workaround).

But the infuriating thing is that they don't have to. It is perfectly legal to import banned games if your are an adult and I'm pretty sure that it's even against EU regulations to actively block that possibility as Bethesda is doing in this case.

I don't care about the swastikas but the biggest fuck up in this whole debacle is that I can't even play the game with English voice over. This is truly a case of "voting with your wallet" for me. I won't buy this game or Wolfenstein:TNO until this mess is solved.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not (only) Germany but Bethesda.
They make it pretty much impossible to import (or just buy it on a non-German online store) due to the whole region lock mess (you can only run the German version with a German IP all other versions won't work or need a workaround).

But the infuriating thing is that they don't have to. It is perfectly legal to import banned games if your are an adult and I'm pretty sure that it's even against EU regulations to actively block that possibility as Bethesda is doing in this case.

I don't care about the swastikas but the biggest fuck up in this whole debacle is that I can't even play the game with English voice over. This is truly a case of "voting with your wallet" for me. I won't buy this game or Wolfenstein:TNO until this mess is solved.

This is only restricted on PC? You should be able to download from a non-German PSN or XBL store without IP checks?

Linkup

Just finished preloading. Second game since HL2 that I have preorder and preloaded. That has to mean something.

Just noticed the pre load status on my system. Looks like it's downloading a 6.333 GB file. Eta on my end is 17 minutes on my 50mb connection.

Downloading now. Will have to take a short break from Bloodborne to play this. I'm expecting this to be good, TNO was excellent.

The BND will be after me, but the game is fully preloaded (uncensored international version and all).

I definitely look forward to playing this!

NewDust

Sweet, it's downloading now on PSN. This unlocks at midnight EST right?

The schedule Bethesda has put out says as much, yet the PS store mentions it releases in 2 days.

Still debating if I'm going to buy this also digital. I want to play it as early as possible, yet definitly want to have the physical version. As a matter of fact, this is my first pre-order since the release of the PS4.

The schedule Bethesda has put out says as much, yet the PS store mentions it releases in 2 days.

Still debating if I'm going to buy this also digital. I want to play it as early as possible, yet definitly want to have the physical version. As a matter of fact, this is my first pre-order since the release of the PS4.
The countdown timer is set to expire midnight 5/5.

Still getting physical edition for my collection, but went ahead an preordered digital

Supporting this game in TWO territories!

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm going to buy Wolf:TOB but for gods sake, let me keep that Double Barreled Shotgun, it didn't make sense for it to be in TNO for like 2 very short levels :/

Anung

Un Rama
I was gonna wait for the psychical edition but I just couldn't wait that extra week so I pre-ordered it on PSN. So excited to get some more Wolfenstein action. I hold the first game in very high regard.

Top Bottom