• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Infinity War will outgross Age of Ultron.

Not significantly though. The MCU in general I feel is pretty much leveled off in terms of peak viewers. I don't see a significant amount of more people going to see Infinity War that didn't see Ultron.
I know this has been predicted constantly for over a decade and always been wrong, but I think there'll be a major decline for the MCU and superhero movies in general after The Avengers 3 Part 2: The Avengers 4. Where is there to go next? How do you grow it after that? What's the hook that isn't just more of the same?
I like the idea that some studios show some pretty serious restraint when it comes to sequels and then turning things into franchises. The Incredibles is a great example. It's taken a long time for the 2nd movie to come about because Brad Bird didn't want to tackle the project until he could come up with a good story to tell. He wasn't just handed a bag of money and told "we need an Incredibles 2 next year - get on it"
Truth be told he's probably doing it because he'd be in director jail after Tomorrowland, but still has enough good will at Disney that they'll fund him if he gives them a sequel. The situation is eerily similar to Andrew Stanton following up John Carter with Finding Dory.

That's fair but Ultron dropped like a rock after it's opening weekend. If May/Pac hurt the first Saturday gross so much, you'd think it would course correct somewhere along the way.
Just about everything else had incredibly good holds the week after, so Ultron probably did course correct... it was just frontloaded as fuck. As 3N16MA noted, a $200M OW and the same legs as Civil War still leaves you about $4M shy of actual the domestic gross of Ultron.

edit: Rth updated numbers: WFTPOTA 19.1, SMH 17.5, DM3 7.3, BD 3.5, TBS 3, WW 2.7

Apes is probably looking at $55-56M now.

Busty

Banned
Its all a fucking disaster. I am really scared whats happening next.

We already know what's happening. Rothman will wait for the producing deal they have with Marvel to run out and in the meantime he's going to try snd put together his own knock-off Spidey universe that doesn't actually feature Spider-Man.

What could possibly go wrong?

With Homecoming's numbers I am now dead wrong on my all predictions so far this year barring one...

Therefore I now predict Justice League will gross $2 billion dollars and have a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

El Topo

Well didn't they expect an 80 million or so opening weekend? So I am sure they happy it beat their expectations lol

I'm assuming that when they started this project they expected better numbers. There is a difference between what you expect initially and what you expect based on projections shortly before release.

sense

Why is there doom and gloom for Spider-Man all of a sudden? The movie is going to do better than the previous movie on a lower budget right? For a third reboot I would think that is a good start and laid the foundation for future movies to do much better.

Spider-Man will be fine, this is a Batman Begins situation (with much better numbers), they're rebuilding the brand.

But I do wonder if the MCU is maybe starting to scare away some casual moviegoers who don't feel that invested in the universe. The floor for each of their films is 500 million worldwide and I have no doubt that all of their future films will clear that easily and then some but maybe the ceiling is slowly getting lower and lower. Well, that's my hot take at least.

I'd be fine with that.
But he should just follow Sean Young's example at this point and burst into Geoff Johns office in costume while reciting the GL oath.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why is there doom and gloom for Spider-Man all of a sudden? The movie is going to do better than the previous movie on a lower budget right? For a third reboot I would think that is a good start and laid the foundation for future movies to do much better.

Stop making sense, sense.

Cheebo

Banned
Can IW get a finale bump when in just in a year there is Avengers 5 with the same cast?

And everyone knows the MCU movies will keep on coming on end after that too.

Finale films get the finale sort of bumps when it is the final film in the franchise (at least assumed the franchise is officially done at that time), not that it's a finale of a particular story line.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Can IW get a finale bump when in just in a year there is Avengers 5 with the same cast?

Finale films get the finale sort of bumps when it is the final film in the franchise (at least assumed the franchise is officially done at that time), not that it's a finale of a particular story line.

It's a two part finale hardly a separate thing. More like Deathly Hollows part 1 and 2 (despite as much as they want to market otherwise).

It's the one all the movies have been building up to. All the teases and Tony's dream sequence, all the Thanos stuff and and the Infinity Stone stuff.

Unless Avengers 5 is more of that story, and that's understood ahead of time, IW will be the one everyone has been waiting for.

I mean, *I* have MCU fatigue and I'm heavily anticipating it.

Cheebo

Banned
It's a two part finale hardly a separate thing. More like Deathly Hollows part 1 and 2 (despite as much as they want to market otherwise).
At the time it was assumed those two films were the end of the Harry Potter film franchise and there would be no more films.

Nobody thinks that about Infinity War. Everyone knows in a few years there is going to be a six Avengers and the MCU will keep on going.

End of a franchise bump and end of a "storyline" in a on going franchise really isn't the same thing. One is more like a series finale of a tv show, the other is more like a season finale.

At the time it was assumed those two films were the end of the Harry Potter film franchise and there would be no more films.

Nobody thinks that about Infinity War. Everyone knows in a few years there is going to be a six Avengers and the MCU will keep on going.

End of a franchise bump and end of a "storyline" in a on going franchise really isn't comparable. One is more like a series finale of a tv show, the other is more like a season finale.

I don't think we have a precedent for this. But I still think the Thanos story is what people have been waiting for.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't think we have a precedent for this. But I still think the Thanos story is what people have been waiting for.
I think there will be a bump for sure, by comparing it to the increase of franchise ending films really doesn't work I think. We haven't seen anything like this but there isn't going to be a single person in the theater who will go in thinking this is the end of the MCU franchise let alone the Avengers sub series.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am looking forward to the reactions when people realize, that this actually not the real endgame of the MCU and there is yet another movie with the Avenges fighting Thanos is coming.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I am looking forward to the reactions when people realize, that this actually not the real endgame of the MCU and there is yet another movie with the Avenges fighting Thanos is coming.

Agree, all this finale hype can easily lead to a backlash. It's better for them if they DON'T try and market it that way.

It all depends on whether franchise end bumps are because we won't have more, or if they are because it's the long awaited payoff.

And wth autocorrect, you just predicted "Beavis" from my typo of "because"!

Their messaging on that front has been a little bit confusing to be honest. I wonder if they are legit trying to surprise people with the ending of Infinity War or if they'll make it clearer that this is a two-part story in their marketing. I'd prefer the latter solution tbh, the other one could backfire.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Only people that who litterally found out about this movie a shortly before release would have this problem. Until the recent change in marketing these movies have been described as infitnity war part 1 and 2 from the onset. No invested fan will have this problem

Joni

Only people that who litterally found out about this movie a shortly before release would have this problem. Until the recent change in marketing these movies have been described as infitnity war part 1 and 2 from the onset. No invested fan will have this problem

Wouldn't that be most people? I don't know if a lot of people really know about movies that are coming before there are teasers of it.

Phamit

The will reveal the name for Avengers 2019 sometime before release of IW and people won't be confused or angry. And since the announcement it was marketed as a double pack, people will know that another avengers is coming.

kswiston

Spider-man Homecoming is going to be Sony's 4th or 5th biggest domestic gross of all time. It will also likely be their 4th biggest worldwide gross of all time.

You doomsayers are being ridiculous. Is this 2017's Suicide Squad in the box office threads?

Don't know why some people so worry about Spider-Man .
It should make more than ASM2 and it cheaper along with it being a reboot .
SHC2 will be the real test and should tell you if you have to worry or not.

SArcher

Banned
Spider-man Homecoming is going to be Sony's 4th or 5th biggest domestic gross of all time. It will also likely be their 4th biggest worldwide gross of all time.

You doomsayers are being ridiculous. Is this 2017's Suicide Squad in the box office threads?

I think people are more concerned about the crazy executives running Sony having unrealistic expectations.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Riduclous expecations are the root cause and I think many were honestly expecting 900-1 billion. The fact it's more likely to be in WW ball park range (which many expected to bomb), was far too unexpected.

Spider-Man will be fine, this is a Batman Begins situation (with much better numbers), they're rebuilding the brand.

Batman Begins had over a 4x multiplier against its opening. Homecoming opened huge and looks to have a larger, but not massive drop. They really aren't similar at all from a box office standpoint.

Top Bottom