• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Batman will be fine, as will Aquaman, but Flash is in a curious position. His movie is 2019 at the earliest. It's a sizable gap from Justice League, and who knows if Justice League 2 happens before a solo Flash.

Although I suppose it's not different than Civil War to Black Panther, with the difference that Flash still doesn't have a date.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
if WB is smart Bats and WW will be the main focus of JL marketing

fuck cyborg tho wasteman character.

ehh him back in high school is for the best. Raimi and webb treated highschool as footnotes and background noise than actively using the setting for something cool.

That works as a phase 1 setting we're gearing towards a galactic clash with characters that have had numerous films worth of character development. It really sticks out.

That works as a phase 1 setting we're gearing towards a galactic clash with characters that have had numerous films worth of character development. It really sticks out.

we don't need an old ass spiderman out of the gate. we've had that before. It sticking out is fine tbh. one of the most refreshing cape films in years imo.

Spidey is supposed to stick out and be a young gun anyway

this, too many cbm's star 30-50 year olds, lets get some young blood up in here.

Cvie

I think the predictions of 150 M domestic and under could qualify given the budget and expectations, and what usually passed for "bomb" on GAF.

I'm not saying it was the majority view, but you can find lots of comments about it going to "flop super hard" (to quote that thread) and a lot of predictions that number and under.

And if you go back to the threads earlier in the year, before the good impressions hit, that sentiment was very very common. Even after the trailers hit.

i think we'd just have to disagree on what counts as lots. And that one dude who said flop super hard on the first page was rightfully called out

Principate

Saint Titanfall
we don't need an old ass spiderman out of the gate. we've had that before. It sticking out is fine tbh. one of the most refreshing cape films in years imo.

this, too many cbm's star 30-50 year olds, lets get some young blood up in here.

Who said we needed old ass spiderman, we just didn't need a 3rd spiderman film where peter goes to high school or rather the audience doesn't seem that thrilled by the concept. The all sorts of stories they could have done with it being that low key.

fuck cyborg tho wasteman character.
55ca03ae940.jpg

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) War for the Planet if the Apes - $56.5M
2) Spider-Man Homecoming - $45.2M (-62%) - $208M total
3) Despicable Me 3 - $18.9M (-44%) - $188M total
4) Baby Driver - $8.7M (-33%) - $73M total
5) The Big Sick - $7.6M - $16M total
6) Wonder Woman - $6.8M (-30%) - $382M total
7) Wish Upon - $5.5M

Toa TAK

Banned
Weekend Studio Estimates

2) Spider-Man Homecoming - $45.2M - $208M total
7) Wish Upon - $5.5M
APES TOGETHER STRONG

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Weekend Studio Estimates

2) Spider-Man Homecoming - $45.2M (-62%) - $208M total
7) Wish Upon - $5.5M

Dat Drop

mjc

I honestly hope studios take a long hard look at their blockbusters after underperformances this year.

Although poor Homecoming :(

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hoooooly @ Spiderman's drop. What happened?
Strong competition? It's one thing to release a movie and having nothing but poorly reviewed films to go up against for weeks, and another thing to run right into a critically acclaimed film the week after you open.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Strong competition? It's one thing to release a movie and having nothing but poorly reviewed films to go up against for weeks, and another thing to run right a critically acclaimed film the week after you open.

Before we say doom and gloom,

GOTG and Wonder Woman had shit competition

Apes was a slightly underperformer so I wouldn't say the competition is all that strong. I've been defending Spidey's run to this point, and it's still having a solid run, but I'll say WOM is probably not as good as people think.

Top Bottom