• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Mrbob

Wonder Woman had two benefits Spiderman didn't. First one is it really was the only good movie to be released in June and it came out at the beginning of the month. The biggest competition in June was that garbage Mummy movie. So this helped push word of mouth. Second is WW tapped into the female market in a way no other super hero movie has. Maybe Captain Marvel will be able to replicate the success of WW but not sure since WW it's more well known.

I still believe Spidey 2 will be huge due to first one being good and there first post Avengers marvel movie. But Sony can't be happy with this hold.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's not really an origin movie.

Despite missing Uncle Ben and the radioactive spider, it's probably still considered an origin story to most. Ultimately, we've seen Peter in high school learning the ropes of being a superhero 3 times in recent memory and there's definitely people being turned off by that.

That would logically have mattered for its opening weekend, not its second weekend. Second weekend are about sustaining audience interest and word of mouth.

Even with good WOM i still see some people waiting for this on DVD .
I think we at the point that a spdiey movie just not interesting to people after so many fuck ups.

Strong competition? It's one thing to release a movie and having nothing but poorly reviewed films to go up against for weeks, and another thing to run right a critically acclaimed film the week after you open.

Dunkirk gonna be huge too. seeing ads fucking everywhere.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
If anyone again brings RT bump from now, I will show them the legs of Spider-Man to shut them up.
RT only works as a positive if everyone thought the movie would have sucked in the first place (Wonder Woman).

Like if Transformers 5 ended up being an actual good movie...it might have still made a billion. People would see it just because they couldn't believe it.

Also Spidey has extra circumstances involved with why it's not doing too hot. It will be the same reason Thor 3 will not do that well either regardless of reviews.

If you were going to go with a film not getting an RT bump I would suggest War for the Planet of the Apes.

kswiston

If anyone again brings RT bump from now, I will show them the legs of Spider-Man to shut them up.

Individual films don't mean anything. That's like seeing an article stating that the homicide rate was at its lowest level ever last year and saying "Well, my uncle was killed last year, so that's clearly bullshit"

Reviews are just one of a myriad of factors. Also, positive reviews on highly anticipated films probably have no real effect. It's the negative reviews that hurt.

Despite missing Uncle Ben and the radioactive spider, it's probably still considered an origin story to most. Ultimately, we've seen Peter in high school learning the ropes of being a superhero 3 times in recent memory and there's definitely people being turned off by that.
I won't lie, I really did want this movie to skip the training and have Peter web sling around Manhattan.

number11

I don't understand why blockbuster summer is a thing. Why release your big action movie the same time as all the other big action movies? People can't afford to watch a movie every week

Dunkirk will surprise people. They'll go in to see Harry Styles, and go in a second, third, and eighth time to avoid Dunkirk withdrawal. It'll be Avatar all over again.

Lies.
But I expect Dunkirk to do all right. Relatively low opening but decent legs.

Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $765M
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $751M
Despicable Me 3 - $619M
Transformers 5 - $517M

kswiston, what's the end goal for WW at this point?

Pirates is doing okay all things considered. Lol at transformers. I'm intrigued by how the Bumblebee movie will perform next year. Maybe it could serve as a soft reboot just like First Class.

Kusagari

I'm still really shocked that Pirates ended up doing okay while Transformers has tanked.

Completely thought it would be the other way around.

longdi

Banned
I hope this is the end of Bayformers, cant believe GAF of all sites, have a following about this series which keep getting more nonsensical....recycling same plot about cybertron colliding with Earth, but zero consistency with returning characters.

Worldwide Updates:

Wonder Woman - $765M
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $751M
Despicable Me 3 - $619M
Transformers 5 - $517M

As reference, the last entries for Pirates and Transformers were roughly $1B and $1.1B.

Transformers will be a series low while Pirates will fall below everything but the first.

kswiston

kswiston, what's the end goal for WW at this point?

Around $800-820M. Things are slowing down now. I think that Wonder Woman earned a bit less than $20M worldwide in the past week. It might crawl to $800M with the current markets. It might just miss that mark. However, Japan is left to release, and worst case scenario there will be $8-10M. $820M would require an outstanding run for a superhero film in Japan ($20-25M). An average run is $10-15M.

I hope this is the end of Bayformers, cant believe GAF of all sites, have a following about this series which keep getting more nonsensical....recycling same plot about cybertron colliding with Earth, but zero consistency with returning characters.
I hope you know this is the same GAF that believes RE6 is the best video game ever made. We're not exactly immune to liking garbage.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The lesson here is that everybody was wrong.

Speak for yourself, homie.
ufdup.png

Around $800-820M. Things are slowing down now. I think that Wonder Woman earned a bit less than $20M worldwide in the past week. It might crawl to $800M with the current markets. It might just miss that mark. However, Japan is left to release, and worst case scenario there will be $8-10M. $820M would require an outstanding run for a superhero film in Japan ($20-25M). An average run is $10-15M.

Thanks!
I didn't know the bar was so low for superhero films in Japan, especially considering the fact that Beauty and the Beast has made more than 100 million over there. I wonder why that is.

kswiston

Thanks!
I didn't know the bar was so low for superhero films in Japan, especially considering the fact that Beauty and the Beast has made more than 100 million over there. I wonder why that is.

Japan has a popular home market for superheroes (based on their shonen manga, and stuff like Kamen Rider)

Thanks!
I think Japan just loves Disney. Frozen made 250 million there. Cinderella 47 million. Japan was also one of the top grossing markets for Tangled and Zootopia.

There is also War of the Planet of Apes as others pointed out.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Japan realizes Wonder Woman is a princess who grows up to save the world, there's a chance for a breakout there.

Top Bottom