• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

Japan has a popular home market for superheroes (based on their shonen manga, and stuff like Kamen Rider)

The shonen movies seem to do pretty well. But after a quick look at Box-Office Mojo, the local superhero films seem to be a really niche market. $7,897,263 for the latest Kamen Rider movie and $3,511,088 for Kamen Rider x Super Sentai.

If Japan realizes Wonder Woman is a princess who grows up to save the world, there's a chance for a breakout there.

Mmmh...

Mrbob

I won't lie, I really did want this movie to skip the training and have Peter web sling around Manhattan.
Me too, and what is really annoying is Peter looks more polished in Civil War. He took a step back for Homecoming which makes no sense.

I think I've come to realize the high school setting didn't bother me too much, but it was watching Spidernoob again which became annoying.

J_Viper

Me too, and what is really annoying is Peter looks more polished in Civil War. He took a step back for Homecoming which makes no sense.

I didn't realize this in the movie, but yeah he was straight up doing air combos in CW

EDIT: my fault, didn't realize this was the old thread

Around $800-820M. Things are slowing down now. I think that Wonder Woman earned a bit less than $20M worldwide in the past week. It might crawl to $800M with the current markets. It might just miss that mark. However, Japan is left to release, and worst case scenario there will be $8-10M. $820M would require an outstanding run for a superhero film in Japan ($20-25M). An average run is $10-15M.

I never would have imagined WW doing 800m. Super stoked that it's done as well as it has.

Expect that studios are focus grouping this like mad - how is it having such great legs, what is the appeal? We probably already know which factors played most significantly, but the repeat viewership has to be off the charts.

Donos

Man, Pirates WW numbers are actually not that bad. I can't differentiate them after Part 1 anyway (still enjoy them somewho but they are forgettable for me)

The Homecoming "doing bad" narrative may be one of the weirder (incorrect) storylines of the box office conversations recently.

Like its not destroying the charts, but its doing plenty well

The Homecoming "doing bad" narrative may be one of the weirder (incorrect) storylines of the box office conversations recently.

That's why the narrative took off. And the clickbait article about the Fri-Fri drop.

In the end, it looks like it is behaving like a typical MCU film. No more, no less. At least for the moment.

Anth0ny

Somehow doing better than the last Spidey but less than a billion is "doing bad". It's weird.

Safe to say Homecoming will be the biggest non-billion dollar grossing MCU film to date, assuming its foreign take is in line with other Spidey films.

In the end, it looks like it is behaving like a typical MCU film. No more, no less. At least for the moment.

Yeah that's a pretty perfect description (though actually higher than the MCU average).

This isn't some massive breakout, unheard of success, but its performing in line with a solid grossing MCU film. That is in no way poor though. I wouldn't call it "great" but its solid.

Like people realize the trajectory the Amazing Spidey franchise was on right? Had we gotten ASM3 instead of Homecoming then we would have had a true bomb on our hands worth talking about.

Edit - wait we are in LAST WEEK's Box Office thread?! LMAO I somehow totally missed that

mjc

Classic case of click-bait articles circling the internet and people just glossing over them without taking anything in.

It really rankles me on a few fronts.

- overuse of "bomb"
- snowball effect of any internet criticism
- I really, really liked Homecoming

Top Bottom