• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

I noticed in the Thor: Ragnarok press release that Mark Ruffalo was credited as playing Bruce Banner and I was like "Oh, yeah, right.".

Wonder how much time he'll spend depowered vs. Hulk-ed up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I feel like the mixed reception to JW is overstated. It had a 3x multiplier and did gangbusters on home video. It'll drop because it has to drop from $650m but I think it still has enough juice to win the summer.

Wait, there was supposed to be a poster release for Han Solo?

There wasn't even a title reveal.

And apparently Ewan McGregor was just at Anaheim to be at Anaheim

I literally had the guy who told me about it before text me what I thought of the TLJ posters and if they showed off the Han Solo one since he hadn't seen it posted anywhere. He's one of the guys in charge of fixing the marketing(change things on posters sent to him so they work in swedish, cutting new ones for webpages, making 6 second ads etc) in Sweden for most WB, Universal, Lucasfilm and Fox movies.

He got the material and posters for Han Solo, TLJ, Antman and Wasp and some others(like a JL one)from oversea last week. He said it was new things from SDCC and D23 as far as he knew.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Ewan is a few steps away from standing outside Kathleen Kennedy's office with a "Will play Obi-Wan for free" sign.

I literally had the guy who told me about it before text me what I thought of the TLJ posters and if they showed off the Han Solo one since he hadn't seen it posted anywhere. He's one of the guys in charge of fixing the marketing(change things on posters sent to him so they work in swedish, cutting new ones for webpages, making 6 second ads etc) in Sweden for most WB, Universal, Lucasfilm and Fox movies.

He got the material and posters for Han Solo, TLJ, Antman and Wasp and some others(like a JL one)from oversea last week. He said it was new things from SDCC and D23 as far as he knew.

Well I don't think LFL is supposed to have any presence at SDCC, so if he actually saw some Han Solo shit, either they're holding it for something else during D23 or they decided not to do shit with it after they sent it along.

Well I don't think LFL is supposed to have any presence at SDCC, so if he actually saw some Han Solo shit, either they're holding it for something else during D23 or they decided not to do shit with it after they sent it along.
Yeah, they might've sent things out before the director problems got solved. Apparently the ship on the poster is real ugly compared to the Falcon and most post-prequel ships.

Still surprised they're holding on to the May date and not taking the chance to delay with a good reason.

samar11

Here is this weekends box office predictions from boxofficemojo

War for the Planet of the Apes (4,022 theaters) - $70.0 M
Spider-Man: Homecoming (4,348 theaters) - $57.3 M
Despicable Me 3 (4,155 theaters) - $19.2 M
The Big Sick (2,597 theaters) - $11.5 M
Baby Driver (3,043 theaters) - $8.1 M
Wish Upon (2,250 theaters) - $7.0 M
Wonder Woman (2,744 theaters) - $6.9 M
Transformers: The Last Knight (2,323 theaters) - $2.9 M
Cars 3 (2,049 theaters) - $2.8 M
The House (1,633 theaters) - $1.7 M

What does everything think?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What? IW barely crossing 400M would be weak sauce.

Anything less than 500M for the 1st finale to MCU would be a failure.

Well I guess IW is going to be a failure then.

s3fkCeU.gif

Slayven

Is it me or are movies being made faster nowadays? I am not talking about being put out I am talking about writing, filming, sfx, etc

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I will post the exact gif when it blows past your 405m. ;)

Feel free. I don't see who's showing up to watch IW that didn't show up to watch Civil War, Ultron or Guardians 2.

Let's bring up the old Age of Ultron predictions for a good laugh.

HeySeuss

Valarian actually looks fun and interesting, but it is in that weird zone for me where i want to see it, but I don't want to go to the theaters for it. first run on HBO or Netflix i am there

It looks all beauty and no substance. The seems to be a thin plot to just be enough for the eye candy effects. Almost like it's trying to be the next Avatar

So Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water just had its first trailer drop with War for the Planet of the Apes, and it looks like a pseudo-Hellboy movie. It also comes out week before Star Wars.

I thought it was a 10 Cloverfield Lane-esque secret reveal but apparently it's been announced for a while.

Slayven

It looks all beauty and no substance. The seems to be a thin plot to just be enough for the eye candy effects. Almost like it's trying to be the next Avatar

Bruce Willis and Chris Tucker saved the Fifth Element. Maybe those 2 kids i don't know the name of but probably like 30 will do the same?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's no way I'm missing Valerian on the big screen. That type of cheesy looking sci-fi is right up my alley and it'll be a visual treat for sure.

Besides, I even found something to like in Lucy and this can't be worse than that.

So Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water just had its first trailer drop with War for the Planet of the Apes, and it looks like a pseudo-Hellboy movie. It also comes out week before Star Wars.

I thought it was a 10 Cloverfield Lane-esque secret reveal but apparently it's been announced for a while.
I really was wondering if I was watching at trailer for a hellboy prequel or a creature from the black lagoon reboot.

edit: On Valerian, these are your two protagonists

thumbnail_25961.jpg

Willis and Mila they ain't.

kswiston

Rth is saying $19.5M for Apes and $17.5m for Spider-Man on Saturday.

If that holds up, Spider-Man will make $44-45M this weekend. Apes will be around $57M

samar11

Rth is saying $19.5M for Apes and $17.5m for Spider-Man on Saturday.

If that holds up, Spider-Man will make $44-45M this weekend. Apes will be around $57M

That would be terrible for both and a massive drop for home coming, no?

mojo has Apes at 70mil and spidey at 57 by the way.

3N16MA

Banned

That is their weekend forecast (estimate) based on no actual numbers. They have updated and have Apes at
58M and Homecoming at 47.5M.

kswiston

Mojo was wrong. Apes, I can understand (since it was an opener), but their Spider-Man prediction made no sense when they made it.

kswiston

60% drop is not great for a MCU film.

Spider-man will still do decently overall.

Civil War had a 1.65x opening weekend multiplier after its second weekend

Spider-man Homecoming would have a 1.77x opening weekend multiplier if this weekend is $44M. Summer weekdays more than erase the larger second weekend drop.

3N16MA

Banned
Spider-man will still do decently overall.

Civil War had a 1.65x opening weekend multiplier after its second weekend

Spider-man Homecoming would have a 1.77x opening weekend multiplier if this weekend is $44M. Summer weekdays more than erase the larger second weekend drop.

I don't doubt that it will still be a success. Probably not as big as some people may have thought.

Top Bottom