• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•07-09•17 - Minions cede dominion over box office, Homecoming KING

HE LIVES IN SINGAPORE.

CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE.

Bronson's house of cards...

Fine, fine, you're right, sorry.

I swam there.

BronsonLee puts his knife on the table and says 'Beat me to it'.

A voice shouts out 'HE HAS ANOTHER ONE!!"

BronsonLee then puts the second knife on the table and says "Beat me to either of them".

Little does everyone know that he always has his snow shovel in the boot of his wood panelled station wagon.

True story.

A shovel is just like a big knife!

Tobor

There is no Hulk bump. But there will be a Jeff Goldblum bump.

There absolutely is a Hulk bump. People love that character in the Avengers movies and they will want to see how Hulk gets there, and why he's fighting Thor. It was a fantastic tease in that trailer.

There absolutely is a Hulk bump. People love that character in the Avengers movies and they will want to see how Hulk gets there, and why he's fighting Thor. It was a fantastic tease in that trailer.
There have been 2 Hulk standalone movies and both bombed. The character alone can't carry a movie and his schticks with Thor are played in every Avenger movie so it is not a new or exciting concept. Ruffalo alone is hardly memorable enough to pull the bump unlike Iron Man and Robert Downney.

emrober5

Spider-Man was much better than I expected. I have my problems with it but overall it was great and Keaton was one of the better villains we've had in the MCU.

I'll be seeing Dunkirk Wednesday night, really excited about that one. Flop or not, I expect Nolan delivers.

Tobor

There have been 2 Hulk standalone movies and both bombed. The character alone can't carry a movie and his schticks with Thor are played in every Avenger movie so it is not a new or exciting concept. Ruffalo alone is hardly memorable enough to pull the bump unlike Iron Man and Robert Downney.

The standalone movies are irrelevant. We're talking about Ruffa-Hulk, the Hulk that got the biggest audience pop I've ever seen in a movie theater in my forty one years when he shook Loki like a rag doll in Avengers.

People love that Hulk. Make no mistake. He's a big reason why that trailer was so well received and he's going to put butts in the seats. Book it.

Been damn near 3 years since we seen the hulk.

And he has returned to put butts in the seats for Thor.

The standalone movies are irrelevant. We're talking about Ruffa-Hulk, the Hulk that got the biggest audience pop I've ever seen in a movie theater in my forty one years when he shook Loki like a rag doll in Avengers.

People love that Hulk. Make no mistake. He's a big reason why that trailer was so well received and he's going to put butts in the seats. Book it.

And he has returned to put butts in the seats for Thor.
Disagree. Such short scenes work best for an assemble movie like Avengers and Thor 3 isn't going to be one.

It will have the same impact in box office gross as Winter Soldier so a good bump but not something that puts it above and beyond 300 million.

Rian Johnson. How y'all be leaving me to call this man "Ree-ann" when his name is pronounced "Ryan"?

Strike that, if the name is something normal, spell it than way goddamn it.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
(Plus, and this somewhat vindicating (I am selfish I am wrong, I am right I swear I'm ri—) I feel like people are starting to get sick to death of Tony Fucking Stark, so plastering him all over the trailers might not have helped as much as they wanted either).
I think there's some truth to this.

kswiston

This is about to get way worse in the next two decades. (White) Gen X'ers and Millennials are notorious for choosing their own adventure when it comes to the spelling of their kids' names.

One of my nieces is named Emylie. She's never finding her name on a keychain or pencil.

This is about to get way worse in the next two decades. (White) Gen X'ers and Millennials are notorious for choosing their own adventure when it comes to the spelling of their kids' names.

One of my nieces is named Emylie. She's never finding her name on a keychain or pencil.

To be fair, I do know some black folk that do this too.

Poor girl will never know the joy of finding her name on a Coke Zero.

I'm gonna name my kid Superbike

I mean, teachers will be a bit confused, but they won't have to guess on how it's pronounced!

I'm gonna name my kid Superbike

Slayven

Rian Johnson. How y'all be leaving me to call this man "Ree-ann" when his name is pronounced "Ryan"?

I will allow it because it is his government name. If he changed it or a stage name then he would get the side eye

Could SW VIII get a big bump from the death of Carrie as big as F&F7 got from Paul's death? That BTS reel really played with my heart.
The question there is... who didn't see TFA that will see TLJ now because of it? I think that number is, relatively speaking, pretty small. I could see it diminishing the likely drop however.

Lion King might do this.

I dont' know that Star Wars 8 will.
Lion King will be waaaay the fuck up there, quite likely ahead of Avatar's domestic, but I'm not sure it'll beat TFA. I think it's more likely Lion King and TLJ will be dueling for #2.

Worldwide though... TFA may start sweating.

kswiston

I wonder if the Lion King is being overestimated. Automatically assuming that it will be way more popular than BatB because the cartoon was more popular in the early 90s seems like faulty logic to me. Belle never stopped having a merchandising presence since 1991.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
$650m is the most I would predict for Lion King and I'm not even sure about that. That's a pretty big bump over BatB.

I wonder if the Lion King is being overestimated. Automatically assuming that it will be way more popular than BatB because the cartoon was more popular in the early 90s seems like faulty logic to me. Belle never stopped having a merchandising presence since 1991.

Comparison to Beauty and the Beast isn't even really factoring into it, for me.

It's just that large a cultural juggernaut, I think. Divorced from any placing in the Disney canon for contrast - that's a huge fucking movie that's only gotten huger in the pop-culture landscape since it came out. Decades of kids have been raised on it.

A "live action" remake of The Lion King for an audience that will include the people who saw it as adults, the people who saw it as kids, and the kids of those people.

Toa TAK

Banned
I honestly don't know a world without Lion King (okay minus the first 3 months of my life).

I'll be there x10.

CaaaAAAAaaaAAAnnn you feeeeEEEeeelll the lOVE 2-night?

The Lion King will be HUGE but it will also depend if they nail the REMAKE.

If legendary, 800m and above is definitely possible.

If average, it should still make 600m.

If terrible, it can still make 400m.

I think the 3D re-release destroying all its contemporaries speaks for itself. The musical is also the highest grossing broadway production ever.

I don't see any way The Lion King doesn't smash unless people just suddenly check out on CGI animals.

Comparison to Beauty and the Beast isn't even really factoring into it, for me.

It's just that large a cultural juggernaut, I think. Divorced from any placing in the Disney canon for contrast - that's a huge fucking movie that's only gotten huger in the pop-culture landscape since it came out. Decades of kids have been raised on it.

A "live action" remake of The Lion King for an audience that will include the people who saw it as adults, the people who saw it as kids, and the kids of those people.

Yeah, exactly. At the time of release it was third highest grossing film ever, its gross wasn't passed by another animated movie until Nemo 9 years later, and I'm pretty sure ticket sales (ignoring the inflated sales of the really old Disney stuff that had tons of re-runs) still have it at the biggest animated movie ever.

But more than all that, Disney Home Video made it a damn institution. Basically every millennial ever had that movie on VHS and/or DVD.

And speaking of Disney Home Video, Lion King 2 was stupidly popular, selling like a half billion dollars worth of copies.

And you've got the 3D re-release making nearly $100m domestic in 2011.

And then the musical, which is still running, is the longest running and highest grossing musical of all time.

Then you've got two successful TV shows, one of which is currently running, and another spin-off film.

And the characters are all still very popular.

And the songs are still popular and beloved (and returning).

Shit's gonna be huge.

The Lion King will be HUGE but it will also depend if they nail the REMAKE.

If legendary, 800m and above is definitely possible.

If average, it should still make 600m.

If terrible, it can still make 400m.

Well, first off I'm assuming it'll be closer to the ceiling than the floor because I trust Favreau. But if that boring-as-fuck-and-kind-of-shitty Beauty and the Beast can make over $500m, I'm thinking Lion King's floor is a good bit higher than $400m anyway.

kswiston

I think the 3D re-release destroying all its contemporaries speaks for itself. The musical is also the highest grossing broadway production ever.

I don't see any way The Lion King doesn't smash unless people just suddenly check out on CGI animals.

No doubt it will be big. But I have seen upwards of $2B worldwide and $1B domestic thrown around by people who are typically reasonable. Those are high bars.

Roughly the same size, or a bit bigger than Beauty and the Beast would still be a smash hit.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I feel Lion King can and will do better than Beauty and the Beast because it has a bigger audience. Basically one appeals to girls and women only and the other appeals to everyone. And it's about talking animals. If the Jungle Book can be that effective, Lion King can do a hell of a lot more.

Top Bottom