• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Palworld remain an Xbox exclusive?

MarkMe2525

If you need to make qualifiers to a term it's probably bullshite. I just respect definitions of words m8
Great, well here is a definition of "exclusive".
"restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned:"

In english, we use a qualifier to specify which area of concern we are referring to, in this case "console". M8

Danknugz

This plus other comments, why do they happen when...

God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank... etc. are on PC, makes no sense, they're still known as PS exclusive franchises regardless.
i don't think PS exclusives are played that much on PC though almost to the point where it doesn't matter might as well be PS exclusives

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think he was making the argument that it literally becomes on xbox. If you are accessing the xcloud to play a game, regardless of device used, you are playing on Xbox's platform.

No, you are using an app on a smart phone which is not Xbox. The Xbox is only in the data center.

This plus other comments, why do they happen when...

God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank... etc. are on PC, makes no sense, they're still known as PS exclusive franchises regardless.

Nope. Been pointed out by many people, many times those games are no longer PlayStation exclusives.

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

2: ALL of the sales have been on Steam via Early Access; zero copies have been sold on Xbox

5: The only way it remains an Xbox console exclusive is if it gets PT'd; if Nintendo hits the game with a lawsuit and it has to be removed from sale, other ports won't come. However, even in this case Xbox owners still lose access because it's a game only available through Game Pass. Microsoft would just ping consoles to connect online, check accessed games, and do an update to remove Palworld copies installed on any systems.
Why are you making shit up?
gMIK6aF.png

$29.99 seems like it’s for sale outside Game Pass…

Senua

Great, well here is a definition of "exclusive".
"restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned:"

In english, we use a qualifier to specify which area of concern we are referring to, in this case "console". M8
If you said to someone IRL, "oh this game is a console exclusive", they'd ask what you meant and you'd said "oh it means it's only on this console but also on PC", they'd just say "why didn't you just say that then". It's a way for fanboys to brag that they have exclusives even if they're on PC, it's almost as retarded as this argument. Toodles!

JackMcGunns

No, you are using an app on a smart phone which is not Xbox. The Xbox is only in the data center.

Nope. Been pointed out by many people, many times those games are no longer PlayStation exclusives.

I get that perfectly, but you're not understanding my point. Never has anyone said. "Will Uncharted ever come to Xbox?" A: No, because it's a PlayStation exclusive".... But it's not PlayStation exclusive, it's also on PC." It's like a highly evolved Strawman or something, you would think that in this day and age, there would be no need to add a line specifying "I mean console exclusive", because it's pretty obvious that Palworld is being played by 12M PC users right now, more so than on Xbox.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If you said to someone IRL, "oh this game is a console exclusive", they'd ask what you meant and you'd said "oh it means it's only on this console but also on PC", they'd just say "why didn't you just say that then". It's a way for fanboys to brag that they have exclusives even if they're on PC, it's almost as retarded as this argument. Toodles!
You logic fails when you consider how we approach conversation. It's gaming jargon. IRL, I wouldn't be using video game jargon to someone I didn't know took interest in the subject. You speak to your audience. A seamstress speaks seamstress jargon, a pilot speaks pilot jargon, and on GAF, we often speak gaming jargon. The fact that you immediately knew what "console exclusive" meant when used, is a testament to this fact. To deny this is willfull ignorance.

Edit: I rephrased the statement for clarity. Toodles.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I get that perfectly, but you're not understanding my point. Never has anyone said. "Will Uncharted ever come to Xbox?" A: No because, because it's a PlayStation exclusive" .... But it's not PlayStation exclusive, it's also on PC." It's like a highly evolved Strawman or something.

It sounds like you are suggesting that no one ever points out that games like Uncharted are no longer exclusive to PlayStation once they are ported to PC and I'm telling you that's just not true. So yeah....sorry but I'm just not following you if there is some other point you are making here.

Senua

You logic fails when you consider how we approach conversation. It's gaming jargon. IRL, I wouldn't be using video game jargon to someone I didn't know took interest in the subject. You speak to your audience. A seamstress speaks seamstress jargon, a pilot speaks pilot jargon, and on GAF, we often speak gaming jargon. The fact that you immediately knew what "console exclusive" meant when used, is a testament to this fact. To deny this is willfull ignorance.

Edit: I rephrased the statement for clarity. Toodles.
I know what it means, it's just retarded is what I'm saying. This is all too pedantic anyway, I have work to do!

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I thought this was a Game Pass exclusive thing.

Even so, the fact the team mentioned Steam sales but not Xbox sales suggests the Xbox sales are very low by comparison. We'll have a better idea once we get NPD/Circana and other sales chart info.
Again, just pulling out bullshit with zero evidence. Man, it really must bother you that Xbox has this game exclusively on console.

Kssio_Aug

Even so, the fact the team mentioned Steam sales but not Xbox sales suggests the Xbox sales are very low by comparison. We'll have a better idea once we get NPD/Circana and other sales chart info.
Even if that's the case, and we don't know, it's still not the same as zero. And MS paid them to have it on Game Pass, and although their huge success came by surprise, they accepted the offer because they believed it was a good deal. Also, when eventually the game leaves Game Pass, it will be already quite popular on Xbox because of it, and will probably generate more sales, or MS might actually pull the trigger and pay them more to keep the game on GP.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Ah resorting to insults, the classic sign of losing an argument
Me making fun of you (in obvious jest) doesn't change the fact that your argument was inept, and out of touch with the reality of the situation. If taking this "get out jail free" cop out helps you cope, go ahead. I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say the game is probably selling fairly well on Xbox considering the vast majority prefer not to subscribe to Game Pass. But that's me "pulling bullshit with zero evidence", right FoxMcChief FoxMcChief ? But yeah, as you fully acknowledge, we will definitely have a better idea once the monthly sales rankings come out. Why that triggers some....no idea.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Me making fun of you doesn't change the fact that your argument was inept, and out of touch with the reality of the situation. If taking this "get out jail free" cop out helps you cope, go ahead. I'll be fine.
I said it before, but the best part about Palworld is the entertainment it brings both in the game and on the internet. People are losing their minds over it.

simpatico

Doubt Sony are interested. It's already on a decline as players finish everything there is to do and move on to the next hype.

It's neat that this thing exists, but it doesn't have legs.
Surely this post wont be screen shotted and saved for 3 years.

Again, just pulling out bullshit with zero evidence. Man, it really must bother you that Xbox has this game exclusively on console.

It's "exclusive" the way BG3 was a timed PS5 exclusive: not out of desired choice of the dev/pub but circumstances. Microsoft has a way more lenient Early Access policy than Sony, so Palworld took advantage of that. Sarah Bond knew about the policy leniency and probably used that to help get the game on Game Pass. It's not that complicated.

But there's little chance the game sold a ton on Xbox considering almost everyone playing it there is doing it via Game Pass, and the game wasn't hyped up until it launched and WOM spread, mainly on PC. How many on Xbox are going to buy the inferior version on that platform when they can get the version with 32-player MP on Steam, likely for cheaper too with 3P key resellers?

I'm just speaking about probability here, it's got nothing to do with Xbox having an exclusive on their console. Did they luck into a console exclusive here? Yes. But the platform doing the heavy lifting in driving the game's reach and growth is Steam, not Xbox. This isn't controversial (just like how for BG3 it was also Steam, not PS5 when that game was an incidental timed console exclusive for Sony).

Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say the game is probably selling fairly well on Xbox considering the vast majority prefer not to subscribe to Game Pass. But that's me "pulling bullshit with zero evidence", right FoxMcChief FoxMcChief ? But yeah, as you fully acknowledge, we will definitely have a better idea once the monthly sales rankings come out. Why that triggers some....no idea.

Well there is "fairly well" and then there is "sensationally well" like we're seeing on Steam. I'm sure some on Xbox have decided to buy the game realizing it's picked up a lot of steam through WOM and it's gone "viral" to say, but how many of them also likely have a PC? And if so why wouldn't they buy the better version that's on Steam?

Again, I guess we'll see how sales are doing for it on Xbox with some sales chart info; I don't know if this game is physically available on Xbox but even if it's digital only, I think people like Mat Piscatella will mention something about sales across Steam & Xbox for the game, even if it's a footnote mention. Something to give indication.

But the Palworld devs also have that info surely; if it was substantial I guess they could've mentioned sales on Xbox like they did with Steam. I'm gonna guess that whatever it did on Xbox up to that 12 million announcement, wasn't enough to make it 13 million, otherwise the statement maybe would've been 13 million ("Over 13 million copies sold!), with some mention of the Steam numbers specifically.

So maybe something like low-end > 1 million, high-end > 3 million on Xbox is a possibility.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They should secure it. And they need to do it now. It's the best thing that happened to them since Halo..

MarkMe2525

They have nothing to do with this game.
Do you think this is the only game that's done well?
I believe this misrepresents what he/she was saying. In all politeness, your assertion "they have nothing to do with this game" ignores MS's pursuit of a console exclusive agreement with the publisher. They may have stumbled into this success, but their willingness to pay for such a deal, is the reason for this success.

Also, no where did he/she claim that this success excludes the success of other games, on MS's platforms. When he/she states "this is the best thing that happened to them since halo", they was referring to the breakout success of Palworld relative to many of MS's first party offerings, as well as other games that MS have signed console exclusivity deals with.

I'm not attempting to pick a fight, I just wanted to clarify, what I perceive to be, the meaning of the post you replied to.

Topher

Gold Member
I believe this misrepresents what he/she was saying. In all politeness, your assertion "they have nothing to do with this game" ignores MS's pursuit of a console exclusive agreement with the publisher.

What console exclusive agreement with the publisher?

Mr Moose

I believe this misrepresents what he/she was saying. In all politeness, your assertion "they have nothing to do with this game" ignores MS's pursuit of a console exclusive agreement with the publisher. They may have stumbled into this success, but their willingness to pay for such a deal, is the reason for this success.

Also, no where did he/she claim that this success excludes the success of other games, on MS's platforms. When he/she states "this is the best thing that happened to them since halo", they was referring to the breakout success of Palworld relative to many of MS's first party offerings, as well as other games that MS have signed console exclusivity deals with.

I'm not attempting to pick a fight, I just wanted to clarify, what I perceive to be, the meaning of the post you replied to.
It's in early access, there is no console exclusive agreement.

Senua

Me making fun of you (in obvious jest) doesn't change the fact that your argument was inept, and out of touch with the reality of the situation. If taking this "get out jail free" cop out helps you cope, go ahead. I'll be fine.
Dayum that is one high horse you got there brother. Have a self service it might chill ya bonce

MarkMe2525

It's in early access, there is no console exclusive agreement.
What console exclusive agreement with the publisher?
I'll restate for clarity. In its current form. Palworlds "early access" is exclusively available on xbox, in the console space. Developers must sign an agreement with MS to bring their games to gamepass. So atm, MS's agreement with the publisher of Palworld to bring the gane to gamepass, has lead to a situation where the only console where you can play Palworld is on Xbox.

I'll restate for clarity. In its current form. Palworlds "early access" is exclusively available on xbox, in the console space. Developers must sign an agreement with MS to bring their games to gamepass. So atm, MS's agreement with the publisher of Palworld to bring the gane to gamepass, has lead to a situation where the only console where you can play Palworld is on Xbox.

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no

You're wrong

Senua

I said it before, but the best part about Palworld is the entertainment it brings both in the game and on the internet. People are losing their minds over it.
Yes I'm triggered by the existence of this game. It actually looks kinda fun but it's still not an Xbox exclusive 😉

MarkMe2525

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no

You're wrong
Hmmm, can you play Palworld on a Switch or PlayStation console atm? If the only console you can play it on is an Xbox, wouldn't that mean that it is currently "exclusive" on consoles? Was this precluded by MS signing a deal to bring palworld early access to Gamepass?

How am I wrong again?

Hmmm, can you play Palworld on a Switch or PlayStation console atm? If the only console you can play it on is an Xbox, wouldn't that mean that it is currently "exclusive" on consoles? Was this precluded by MS signing a deal to bring palworld early access to Gamepass?

How am I wrong again?

The game's exclusive because it's an early access title. Not because of a gamepass deal

MarkMe2525

The game's exclusive because it's an early access title. Not because of a gamepass deal
You are right, I conflated gamepass with the normal xbox store. Before I went off the rails, my point was that MS had involvement with bringing Palworld's early access to their platform through a deal with the publisher. Me saying the Gamepass deal specifically allowed that to happen, is pure speculation on my part.

Top Bottom