• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Palworld remain an Xbox exclusive?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is there some point you made that I missed?
My first post said the same thing you just said. It's a viral hit and I'm sure it will do well anywhere.

But are early access indie survival games typically popular on PS? Not really, so far. Maybe that will change now.

Topher

Gold Member
My first post said the same thing you just said. It's a viral hit and I'm sure it will do well anywhere.

Ah.....ok, I follow you.

Microsoft deserve props for finding this gem,

Did I miss all the promos Microsoft launched for Palworld or something? Looks to me like this game's success was a complete surprise to everyone, including Microsoft.

Roxkis_ii

This one's been played by more people on Xbox than FFXVI on PS5.

I genuinely don't know if this is the kind of game PS5 gamers even want honestly. It will probably do well anywhere now after all the buzz, but if this launched exclusively to PS5 I bet it would have just been forgotten in a week. Not a dig at PS. I just don't see a ton of early access b-tier games blow up on the system. I think they typically prefer other things, as you suggested.

I think the word of mouth from pc gamers would have still propelled this game to similar heights. Regardless what console it was with.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yoshida said he is actively reaching out to the devs on twitter. So Sony is definetly interested.

That Tweet was a week ago and they're down about a third of their Steam player base since peak. Twitch engagement's fallen off a cliff.

Fair enough though, we'll see, I just don't think it's something that'll go all the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to talk to Pocketpair about a future project instead.

It's not exclusive, Sony and Nintendo just don't play nice with Early Access. I have no doubt it will hit both platforms once version 1.0 hits.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think they should release it on Playstation. I don't know what the Gamepass deal looked like and I don't think Microsoft knew what they had before it became the phenomenon that it is...but I imagine the contract was probably a timed thing. Check back in 6 months to a year.

This would also play into Xbox's current plan of releasing previously exclusive games on other platforms.

I know Sony will not do the same (releasing previously exclusive games on Xbox) but man who really cares. Only fanboys care. Well...and maybe Nintendo. Having Palworld proliferate into Sony's ecosystem would probably be bad for Nintendo. That would be the only reason I could imagine Xbox would think twice.

Just trying to look at things from all angles...I mean it's not like Microsoft published Palworld. It's biggest value to Xbox might be in subscription growth for Gamepass honestly. In that case, holding onto Palworld might be the better idea. I'd imagine they'd have to cut a new deal though, for much more money.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think they should release it on Playstation. I don't know what the Gamepass deal looked like and I don't think Microsoft knew what they had before it became the phenomenon that it is...but I imagine the contract was probably a timed thing. Check back in 6 months to a year.
The question is - did the devs? Doubtful they would have even agreed to gamepass if they knew what a hit it would be, so its possible they agreed to a pretty strict contract.

//DEVIL//

Isn’t it on PC? Not an XBox exclusive right?
Lol. By that standard god of war, ratchet, days gone, all horizon games and spider man ads not PlayStation exclusive . Lol

Do not count the master race as part of the consoles eco system. They are console exclusive.

Topher

Gold Member
The question is - did the devs? Doubtful they would have even agreed to gamepass if they knew what a hit it would be, so its possible they agreed to a pretty strict contract.

Or it is possible there is no contract as far as how long it is exclusive as this may simply be a matter of PS and Nintendo not allowing early access as others have said. No way to know.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Lol. By that standard god of war, ratchet, days gone, all horizon games and spider man ads not PlayStation exclusive . Lol

Do not count the master race as part of the consoles eco system. They are console exclusive.
They are not exclusives.

If they are console exclusives then they are PC exclusives.

//DEVIL//

Factually, those games are not "PlayStation exclusive".
How so ? PC and consoles are not the same. One is 3x the price of a console .
I get it the word exclusive here means it's not anywhere else. But the term console exclusive is real.

When hi fi rush hits ps5, it's not a console exclusive . But the same can't be said for Sony games as they are not coming to Xbox.

PC will always be on it's different space and entity. This is how I see it anyway

Topher

Gold Member
I get it the word exclusive here means it's not anywhere else. But the term console exclusive is real.

When hi fi rush hits ps5, it's not a console exclusive . But the same can't be said for Sony games as they are not coming to Xbox.

PC will always be on it's different space and entity. This is how I see it anyway

The price of the system has nothing to do with exclusivity. If you get that exclusivity means it's not anywhere else then you get why those games are not "PlayStation exclusive". Microsoft invented the term "console exclusive" just so they could continue to use the word "exclusive" in their marketing. Ultimately, it has very little meaning except in console war debates, imo.

Zheph

the lines are more blurred than they were a few years ago

at the end of the day, you can play the game on something else than the console

wolffy66

Idk, i don't think either MS or Sony would want the headache that came with owning this game. The potential for legal problems could be there with Pokémon.

wolffy66

Ah.....ok, I follow you.

Did I miss all the promos Microsoft launched for Palworld or something? Looks to me like this game's success was a complete surprise to everyone, including Microsoft.
I'm sure the popularity surprised them but they obviously thought it was worth bothering with for gamepass

Ribi

I'll keep saying it, Microsoft's biggest system seller and biggest "exclusive" was a fucking third party game accused of ripping off pokemon. Microsoft either needs to get their shit together or not? idk

Either way Sony got Foamstars as their big exclusive so no one can complain.

Moses85

In Germany we call it

Nixklusive Box Series

So, no!

Cracking Up Lol GIF

With such staggering sales figures, I can't imagine Microsoft wants to let that go. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to lock this game up or even acquire the developers outright.

It's pretty ironic that they got such a successful exclusive right on the heels of making one of their previously successful exclusives, Hi-Fi Rush, a multiplatform game. What may happen is that they brand it as an Xbox game even if it makes it to other platforms.

Of course, they should clear up any of the potential legal issues...

1: It's not an Xbox exclusive; it's also on PC (Steam Early Access)

2: ALL of the sales have been on Steam via Early Access; zero copies have been sold on Xbox

3: The Palworld devs have already said they're looking to bring the game to other platforms

4: Given the CM's views on mass consolidation, I don't think Palworld devs are down with some extended or permanent exclusivity deal, especially on a console with the smallest install base. No amount of moneyhatting will probably change that.

5: The only way it remains an Xbox console exclusive is if it gets PT'd; if Nintendo hits the game with a lawsuit and it has to be removed from sale, other ports won't come. However, even in this case Xbox owners still lose access because it's a game only available through Game Pass. Microsoft would just ping consoles to connect online, check accessed games, and do an update to remove Palworld copies installed on any systems.

There's a possibility the game is being made for other platforms alongside PC and Xbox. Sony simply doesn't allow for early access stuff on PS systems. Who knows once the game leaves that stage.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
1: It's not an Xbox exclusive; it's also on PC (Steam Early Access)

2: ALL of the sales have been on Steam via Early Access; zero copies have been sold on Xbox

3: The Palworld devs have already said they're looking to bring the game to other platforms

4: Given the CM's views on mass consolidation, I don't think Palworld devs are down with some extended or permanent exclusivity deal, especially on a console with the smallest install base. No amount of moneyhatting will probably change that.

5: The only way it remains an Xbox console exclusive is if it gets PT'd; if Nintendo hits the game with a lawsuit and it has to be removed from sale, other ports won't come. However, even in this case Xbox owners still lose access because it's a game only available through Game Pass. Microsoft would just ping consoles to connect online, check accessed games, and do an update to remove Palworld copies installed on any systems.
How did you jump to this conclusion?

You don't have a monopoly on the usage of the word exclusive. "Console exclusive" is a completely reasonable and useful term.
No. We are talking gaming platforms. A console is a platform just as PC is.
So it still isnt exclusive.

Xbox is just 1 platform. Pc is another, so is PS5 and the Switch.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

No. We are talking gaming platforms. A console is a platform just as PC is.
So it still isnt exclusive.
Yes, and there are multiple gaming platforms. I dont feel like i should have to explain this. There are general purpose computing platforms and there are gaming specific consoles. If someone wants to convey the fact that a particular game is only available on one of these "gaming consoles", then you can use the term "console exclusive".

Senua

The term "console exclusive" is Fanboy drivel for brownie points

It's not exclusive, by definition

MarkMe2525

Clearly he is talking about the Xbox console. But no, an Xbox app on android doesn't magically change that android to an Xbox.
I don't think he was making the argument that it literally becomes on xbox. If you are accessing the xcloud to play a game, regardless of device used, you are playing on Xbox's platform. Regardless, I believe all if this to be besides the point.

The term "console exclusive" is Fanboy drivel for brownie points

It's not exclusive, by definition
Does the term confuse you? No, when you here the term, you know exactly to what it refers to. We use language to convey a thought, and if this particular term can broadly convey a specific meaning, then it is useful. To reject this is "Fanboy drivel" for gaf brownie points.

Language is not static. Words and terms are constantly evolving to match the specific areas of our world that are constantly evolving.

Last edited:

Senua

Xbox is an app on PC that you can use if you so desire, that does not make the PC an Xbox lol. It's way more than that.

Does the term confuse you? No, when you here the term, you know exactly to what it refers to. We use language to convey a thought, and if this particular term can broadly convey a specific meaning, then it is useful. To reject this is "Fanboy drivel" for gaf brownie points.

Language is not static. Words and terms are constantly evolving to match the specific areas of our world that are constantly evolving.

tarantino-reject.gif

Last edited:

Danknugz

why it is always games i don't care about are on game pass and ones i might want to play arent, and the few that i do want to play that are in there, get removed.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Or it is possible there is no contract as far as how long it is exclusive as this may simply be a matter of PS and Nintendo not allowing early access as others have said. No way to know.
Pretty much, no-one knew this would explode like it did, I bet PS would have been tempted to relax their early access restrictions if they had known. Nintendo - they probably would have got their lawyers out before it released if they had known.

mdkirby

It’s temporarily exclusive because its early access. It’s incredibly hard and expensive for microsoft to moneyhat third party games at the moment because the split in sales of third party games are typically 80/20 to PlayStation. So for PlayStation they need to cover the lost potential revenue for the 20% of lost sales to xbox. For xbox they need to cover the 80% of potential lost sales to Sony. Now that palworld is already a massive success it’ll be even more expensive, as there is solid grounds for placing a very high expected sales number on Sony systems. It would cost billions to cover the lost sales. In addition to that, microsoft could fork over the money, and then a few months from now Nintendo kill the whole thing.

So imo zero chance. It’ll either be on Sony the moment it leaves early access (or sooner if Sony bend the rules for them), or it’ll be deleted from existence by a giant Mario wielding a gavel.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Isn’t it on PC? Not an XBox exclusive right?

This plus other comments, why do they happen when...

God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank... etc. are on PC, makes no sense, they're still known as PS exclusive franchises regardless.

Top Bottom