• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with Digital Foundry?

Digital Foundry's analysis are always on point and i don't see any biases from DF at all. These videos are solely being rude and bullying the tech people at DF, not cool at all. That being said, the 800x zoom scrutiny on GT7 was weird and so was halo infinite just has flat lighting while not mentioning how bad pop ins were etc and both of those comments were by alex battaglia at DF. As I've said before, John, richard and the other person who isn't Alex are awesome at what they say.

Reindeer

That article was not about the PS5, the focus was on the Unreal 5 engine, praising it, that was obvious and that was clear to see.😉
The focus was very much PS5 because the demo was built for the it. The whole demo was an advertisement for PS5 so I'm not sure how you can say the focus wasn't the console.

Last edited by a moderator:

sn0man

My first post in the thread, the third video.

Listens:

KT loves Nigeria. (not a disqualification)

KT is upset that Alex didn't go harder on Halo Infinite. (understandable, but I would respond that it is not in DF's brand/nature to get nasty with their criticism regarding a game. DF appears to focus on what is or is not, not how that is really good or bad.)

KT is upset that they hedged about the lighting and didn't discredit other things like the LODs. (DF did critique the LODS.) "However, there were other aspects of the presentation that I hope the studio could take a look at. Beyond indirect lighting, the next largest point to look at is level of detail. Rocks, grass and even far-off fog billboards exhibited jarring pop-in." (Maybe DF didn't go on about the LODs for the same time as the lighting... because, the LODs are not defensible or explainable. DF suggests that maybe MS better lower the output resolution, but then states it was on PC so we don't know. Essentially they said the LOD was bad. It was so bad they didn't need to say anything else. It's bad.)

KT says objectively nobody likes Pepsi.

Digital Foundry's analysis are always on point and i don't see any biases from DF at all. These videos are solely being rude and bullying the tech people at DF, not cool at all. That being said, the 800x zoom scrutiny on GT7 was weird and so was halo infinite just has flat lighting while not mentioning how bad pop ins were etc and both of those comments were by alex battaglia at DF. As I've said before, John, richard and the other person who isn't Alex are awesome at what they say.

King Thrash had a pretty good conversation with John on here, I wouldn't say he's bullying them or simply being rude but he isn't sugar-coating it, either.

Listens:

KT loves Nigeria. (not a disqualification)

KT is upset that Alex didn't go harder on Halo Infinite. (understandable, but I would respond that it is not in DF's brand/nature to get nasty with their criticism regarding a game. DF appears to focus on what is or is not, not how that is really good or bad.)

KT is upset that they hedged about the lighting and didn't discredit other things like the LODs. (DF did critique the LODS.) "However, there were other aspects of the presentation that I hope the studio could take a look at. Beyond indirect lighting, the next largest point to look at is level of detail. Rocks, grass and even far-off fog billboards exhibited jarring pop-in." (Maybe DF didn't go on about the LODs for the same time as the lighting... because, the LODs are not defensible or explainable. DF suggests that maybe MS better lower the output resolution, but then states it was on PC so we don't know. Essentially they said the LOD was bad. It was so bad they didn't need to say anything else. It's bad.)

KT says objectively nobody likes Pepsi.

You asked which video he praises John in, I pointed it out. The rest of this is fluff, I'm not KT and don't need to defend any of it.

Kanton

Nothing, but i love idiotic conspiracy theories. Please continue. (this bodes well for the DF comparisons, get your memes ready)

Dane

It all started with Gears 5 because they praised the game and then started to use KT as the ultimate source for their side.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
DF is mostly just technical analysis and they do an excellent job of it. It doesn't seem like they're trying to decisively say one system is better than another as much as to show tangible evidence of different strengths and weaknesses...

Flintty

I always found DF to be pretty good, even when they were (rightly) shitting on poor performance of my favourite plastic box. They were the end word on this site until they gushed over the Xbox One X. A lot of Gaffers take it to heart. Bless ‘em.

The point is that they got an exclusive look at that footage ahead of time because Epic gave them that exclusivity, just like Microsoft gave an exclusive to DF. And the whole focus of the Epic demo was around PS5 tech, so DF very much was covering PS5 and its capability in that video.
Then you have a different view on the video what i had, they where praising Epic and the UR5 and never mentioned that Epic was praising the superfast I/O solution and the fast SSD of the PS5...
Not a word about that from DF, look at that video again....

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
It helped me choose which platform to buy certain games sometimes.

Well, thats one i guess. J/k was curious if anyone took their opinions serious, sort of take them with a games reviewer, they receive the product for free, thats an automatic you will not have the same feelings as a consumer.

S0ULZB0URNE

I'll be generous and assume that @kretos is just being funny here, but the mods really need to have a plan in place for when the next gen comparison videos start dropping later this year. If every DF thread devolves into "they are only saying that because they are paid shills of MS", then those threads are simply going to become unreadable. If you are going to make that kind of accusation, then surely you need evidence to back it up, otherwise the ban hammer needs to fall. What say you, @Mod of War ?
So you are trying to instigate the mods to ban people for having a opinion?

Maybe you thought you were at era?

The Alien

Banned
Step 1: Select any internet/YouTube personality.

Step 2: Review the long lines of comments knocking those personalities down.

Step 3: Wonder which personality would actually be acceptable.

Step 4: Realize that will never happen.

Step 5: Disregard and go about your day.

Fuck digital foundry with thid alex cuck.

Even this guy is way more informative

Grow up. DF just give an opinion and that's all. And I don't think The Cher is more informative. Ghost looks pretty basic to me with some of the worst water effects of this gen . I'm amazed the game gets such praise myself

Reindeer

Then you have a different view on the video what i had, they where praising Epic and the UR5 and never mentioned that Epic was praising the superfast I/O solution and the fast SSD of the PS5...
Not a word about that from DF, look at that video again....
Ok, we'll agree to disagree. DF also done this video where they talked about PS5 specs as soon as the specs were revealed. In this video they had extra info from their exclusive interview with Cerny. It's obvious that Sony contacted them beforehand and gave them this info, so this notion that they somehow are getting exclusive look and info from Microsoft and therefore are biased is nothing but fake news spread by console warriors. Microsoft was just more open with their console reveal and therefore DF got an actual look at the console, but to think they wouldn't have done the same for PS5 (if they were allowed to) is simply ridiculous and quite frankly stupid.

Gears 5 was definitely a big turning point for the conversation, not just because of DF tho, lots of places shilled for it, I remember journalists legit arguing it was as good looking as games got, then I played it in 4K on my PC and thought it was mostly kinda bland, like not BAD looking but most things about it weren't overly impressive, in fact, I'd have been more positive had I not read it was the best looking game ever or some fucking bs.

NickFire

I still like DF. I also still like Eurogamer generally. Not a fan of the woke stuff but they aren't obnoxious about it like some other places IMO. And they did seem biased towards MS a few years back but I don't see it as bad. I assumed they were just kind off hyped for One then seemed to balance out after launch to me. But DF itself has always seemed just fine to me. I can't understand some of the technical mumbo jumbo but their wrap up usually explains it well enough for me to understand.

Reindeer

I still like DF. I also still like Eurogamer generally. Not a fan of the woke stuff but they aren't obnoxious about it like some other places IMO. And they did seem biased towards MS a few years back but I don't see it as bad. I assumed they were just kind off hyped for One then seemed to balance out after launch to me. But DF itself has always seemed just fine to me. I can't understand some of the technical mumbo jumbo but their wrap up usually explains it well enough for me to understand.
They may not be that obnoxious with their woke stuff, but people on their comment section are as woke as they come.

Shrap

John is a legend. The others... eh. Richard's cool because he's been around a long time, but there is a clear difference between John and the rest. He's a much better presenter, you can tell he has way more passion and he's just interesting to listen to.

v1oz

Its pretty clear they said Halo doesn't look very hot. They said because the game is both cross gen and has had a long development cycle originally being designed for xbone. That def ain't MS bias.

b0uncyfr0

Ok, so I watched most of their video. You trynna tell me everything in the game looks bad due to 'lightning'; yeah no.

Textures look weak
-model of the gun look's flat (but alil better in sunlight)
-textures of enemies look blocky and low res

There is pop in
- Grass popping in when driving the car + on the rock
-Also some stuff coming into view as the chief(i dunno his name) goes up the ramp.

How does lighting explain these? In fact they prob played this area (that was darker) to hide those facts....

Also on the topic of lightning and the NG method they're using. I couldn't give two shits. As a gamer, i just want my games to look good. It could be baked lighting or dynamic lighting, tomato tomaato. No gamer should care that much *if it looks good*. In Halo's case, there is nothing good about it, which is a shame cause well it's a NG game on the world's 'most powerful console' as MS will say.

AC Unity has *amazing* lighting and it's baked af.

There are nice reflections on the ground but they disappear as you get to enemies and not seen again. DF, i wish you would talk about other things you obv saw in the video and not just 'lighting'.

Last edited:

reezoo

I started watching DF when they were relatively unknown entity and I have watched almost all there videos. Never in my mind a thought came that they might be biased until recently. In last few months this thought of 'are they biased against sony' did occur but I think its just a thought and triggered by few things happen recently. Major is the exclusive they had to reveal XSX internals and other is what Sony has done with PS5 hardware which still have people trying to decode what boost clock, higher frequency for GPU, fast SSD imply. Another thing is they try to show the 'other' side of the picture in there videos which ususally is not exactly what gaming community is talking about.

Jtibh

Banned
Grow up. DF just give an opinion and that's all. And I don't think The Cher is more informative. Ghost looks pretty basic to me with some of the worst water effects of this gen . I'm amazed the game gets such praise myself
You sound like alex. Is it you alex?? I liked your reaction when you barked back at john about the 60 vs 30 comment.
Dude you just come in here to disagree but you dont really contribute here anything given you have 900 posts on your 11 year old account.

ebrPk7u.jpg

v1oz

DF was the best of the best when the Playstation hardware was more powerful that Xbox and their reviews were favorable to Sony hardware. When the thing turned in favor of Xbox, since One X, they became biased and evil people.
Its a matter of percentages. This site has orders of magnitude more trolls of Sony than Microsoft, thus is resounds more heavily.
DF are pretty objective in their vids even though its pretty clear which consoles they prefer. I'm not fan of either MS or Sony. I actually despise them. DF started in the 360/PS3 era, for the majority of that gen and the prior gen with PS2/GC/Xbox, Microsoft consoles generally outperformed Playstation hardware in the majority of Multiplatform titles. The thing with DF is they provide their raw capture footage for download, anyone can run it through analysis tools, so really you can't argue about their conclusions.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

You can bullshit some really good-looking graphics if you know the tricks, that doesn't make the game a technical powerhouse.

Is that what the issue is?

WorldHero

I appreciate DF and their obsession with tech analysis. Anyone hating on them can check out NXGamer, or any other alternative outlets. Really looking forward to their next gen comparisons.

I honestly don't think they get enough credit. People are always picking fights online with Alex, and John has spells of depression because of online trolls. If anything, we should let them know to keep up the good work.

v1oz

Another thing is they try to show the 'other' side of the picture in there videos which ususally is not exactly what gaming community is talking about.
Is that according to you? It's not been like that since the 16-bit hardware wars. Most hardcore gamers these have multiple systems. They'll have a PC and at least two of the major consoles.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I really don’t know people think they are biased... There are bad PS4 Amateur/Pro ports and bad Xbox One VCR/S/X ports and those guys point whatever is wrong or right with the existing versions of a game.

As a X and Pro owner, more than once I’ve been glad to wait for their tech review before buying a game so I could get the better version... And so many times I regret buying the “obvious” winner version because DF proved me wrong.

Thanks D dark10x for all the work done!

You sound like alex. Is it you alex?? I liked your reaction when you barked back at john about the 60 vs 30 comment.
Dude you just come in here to disagree but you dont really contribute here anything given you have 900 posts on your 11 year old account.

I disagreed with them . I didn't look to use pathetic swear words or pathetic gestures like that of a 6 year old kid , not having their own way.

Nite, nite

93xfan

Banned

pretty sure they did talk about the pop in on at least the initial impressions video.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
On the contrary, I think digital foundry was very lenient on this comparison, carefully muffing out gts shortcomings and focusing on its strong points
Everyone who has both games knows this
forza-7-gts.jpg
Lol they even used alot of the time Photomode in that comparison where GTS gets enhanced like crazy but he likes to ignore it. And they didn't even compare the weather properly wich was in a bad state in GTS in the begining. They compared tracks and car models in photomode wich is like i said enhanced and said it was the same in gameplay wich is not true and people still call DF Xbox biased :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I agree that they are not 100% right all the time but i don't think they are biased. Its just fanboys get triggerd from both side when there plastic box doesn't get the W or when they don't shit on other sides games.

Spokker

I like Digital Foundry and am subscribed to them on YouTube, but they had to have known what they were getting into when it comes to the whole console war thing. I think it's naive to sit there now and get burned out by it, when it comes with the territory. John lets himself get too worked up by random people online and he should just not engage them. He can rely on the fact that Digital Foundry is basically an institution at this point and he should not take every criticism personally.

Last edited:

Vaztu

This video exposed the 'bias' of DF mostly for me. Especially when he compares it with Gears 3. And the bias seems to be consistency in anlaysing.

And I think this is journalism's problem, more so than anything else. No professional completely shits on a corporate these days.

In the age of 'free review copies', Youtubers can be seen as marketing tool.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Sonygaf (not all of gaf, I’m literally referring to the diehard Sony fanboys, I’m pretty sure you guys know exactly which members I’m referring to) had always had a hateboner for DF (or atleast ever since the X came out and xbox started seeing superior ports) The toxicity got so bad they chased off the only DF member we had.

Top Bottom