• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry calls out Turn10 for downgrading Forza Motorsport.

SHA

So console owners won't second guess on whether they should stay on consoles or move to PCs, the xbox this way is not a pc as the og was, at the same time, pc is a secondary platform, with these decisions, p people off to secure sales when it actually does opposite effects, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell enough units.

Last edited:

Aretak

Have you considered the option that perhaps they are neutral and are dedicated to making objective analyses based on their opinion and experience? That they really don't give a shit about the whole console wars, and that the whole biased thing is nothing more than the anger of fanboys who don't like to hear anything but that their plastic toy is better than the other brand's?
Considered and dismissed. The idea that Digital Foundry is "objective" when it comes to certain subjects and brands is laughable. The channel is practically an arm of Nvidia's marketing department on the PC side of things, from Rich defending and justifying their pricing to Alex having a wee meltdown on Twitter when Hardware Unboxed pointed out some of the flaws with DLSS frame generation. That's before getting into the overt Nvidia-sponsored content and avowed Nvidia staff members being presented as impartial talking heads.

Digital Foundry went completely off the rails when it moved from solely objective data analysis to just another Youtube channel offering hot takes. But then I'm sure the latter sells better and they have a whole team to pay now.

winjer

Gold Member
This might be a better way for people to understand just how badly optimized this game truly is.
One thread doing most of the work, and the rest with low utilization.

iQGF5el.png

DF does a wonderful job but sometimes they appear to miss bugs or performance issues at times. However they do a great job demonstrating how the game performs overall and with different modes and feel like I know what's going on with the quality of the game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Third party pubs had A LOT of issues back in the day with really poor performing pc AND console ports in the PS360 era. They had to bulk up and hire entire teams with experience with PS3, Xbox and PC architecture. MS studios are still relatively small. Same goes for Nintendo and Sony studios. Bethesda is another story, but Forza and Halo are self-inflicted wounds.
Releasing between platforms is the easiest it has ever been though. Other than the switch, they all use the same hardware.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I said this in another thread, but the day 1 PC ports have blown up in Microsoft's face. Halo, Redfall, Starfield, and now Forza all have launched with massive issues. its just not worth it. Sony has the right idea. Release first then have porting studios do the rest. the only time they had their own devs port it, it blew up in their face with ND completely fumbling TLOU1's PC port.

these games are getting more and more complex, bigger and harder to make. You can expect devs to be making multiple versions and expecting them all to nail all versions. yes, they are no longer making PS5 versions but thats been replaced by series s so in total they are making three versions of the game.

I play on PC so I dont mind Day one releases but fucking DLSS in this game is broken with no performance gain whatsoever so whats the point? I spent thousands of dollars on nvidia GPUs to get better ray tracing and now i cant get it because the devs didnt have time to get multithreading right. Again, whats the point of a PC port when it literally cant do what they want. Starfield also had CPU optimization issues. You could turn off hyperthreading and the game would literally run better. So they are not using using 8 of the 16 threads on XSX either.
Has little to do with releasing PC games day 1. Microsoft has been doing this since 2016. You're talking as if they started yesterday. Gears 5, 6, Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 5, and most of their other games did not have problems shipping on PC day 1.

By all accounts, the biggest hurdle is the Series S. Too many devs are bitching about it. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Making two versions of the games wouldn't have been a big problem. One for Xbox, and one for PCs that scale from low to high and every dev is saying that scaling down on PC is much easier than on consoles. I wouldn't pin the blame on the PC release when everything points at the Series S.

As for Sony, it was their first real foray into PC ports. Microsoft was making PC games before Xbox games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The whole RT reflections during gameplay feels like a choice made by MS higher-ups. It's such a waste of resources with minimal return. The average gamer can't see the difference between SSR and RT...
And it's not even proper RT. The game uses a mix of RT, SSR, and cube-maps.

They could have literally not used RT and put those resources to increase the resolution instead, add more environmental details, or improve the car detail.

At this point, it feels like you're 100% right, and the very rudimentary RT implementation is just there for marketing and brownie points.

Tripolygon

Banned
I feel like this is a poor comparison because the sun is clearly in a different place
It is a downgrade, but compromises had to be made for real-time gameplay. They advertised that as in engine which means the game engine is capable of that with the proper hardware. They did nerf the PC version which should have been capable of showing the game in its full glory. At least RTGI is coming post launch.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not when it's an option.
Even then, I'd argue it's useless. The reflections change so damn fast and are so blurred because of the cars' speed that it's quite literally impossible to see them properly unless you pause the game.

Gambit2483

I used to consider it a reasonable warning but now you can basically make a cg movie with an engine because you can crank the lods, rt, and everything. Especially if you can get away with showing on pc.
I used to consider it as a "promise" that what we were being shown wasn't all bullshots and was a close representation to the final product.

It was at least better than prerendered CG...

Last edited:

buenoblue

It's almost as if developers haven't finished the game when they reveal it it years before release and just use target footage🤷‍♂️.

Seriously stop falling for the hype. Wait till a game is out, then decide if you want to buy it 🤷‍♂️

TransTrender

Gold Member
They advertised this as a gameplay reveal, not `in-engine`. But what players will actually experience:

I saw those hot air balloons in the background in one of the scenes and for some reason I thought the next thing would be a killer whale jumping.
Needed more fireworks.

SenkiDala

DF being pathetic pricks ? No news here. Were they as strict with Forespoken, or FFXVI being a technical mess (I plated it though) ? FFXVI being 1080p in resolution mode (???) and 720p in frame rate mode ? If that happened to a AAA XSX exclusive that would be armageddon.

Yes FM is a bit downgraded, like a lot (most ?) of games are, in engine videos don't often reflect what you'll get in the final game... At the end the game is still very beautiful in all modes (even if my preference will always go to frame rate mode), quite prettier than GT7 I've to admit after playing it, so let's enjoy the game and not make dramas for nothing.

DJ12

The whole RT reflections during gameplay feels like a choice made by MS higher-ups. It's such a waste of resources with minimal return. The average gamer can't see the difference between SSR and RT...
The irony is DF said the RT only works for about a metre, so people going on about it having RT are probably just talking about good old fashioned cube maps and SSR, which hilarious and sad in equal measure

RobRSG

I'm surprised DF and the circus there are going after Xbox this much. First starfield then this.
Did the lose the script ?
Starfield still looks fine for what it is.

The really impressive stuff is to under deliver with their flagship racing game in that state when the last FH was so competent.

They need to fix at least the broken HDR levels really fast.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

DF Retro is the only thing that matters. Everything else is just flaming console wars and chosing sides. Their relationship with Microsoft already impacts their 'impartial journalism', they can't risk it. It's a catch 22, they want early access to things and insider information. They can't bite the hand that feeds them. So any negativity against Xbox, is somewhat surprising.

Unknown?

Totally missed that John says the RT reflections on the cars body only applies when something is ~1m in the vicinity of the player car, then it uses SSR or cubemaps. Yikes, totally missed that part from their tech review.
It's just for bullet points, doesn't really add much in reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom