• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with Digital Foundry?

psorcerer

Banned
I'm hearing a lot of comments from gamers on this forum about DF that is in a negative context. I am curious why so many people speak negatively about them.

Let's hear it.

Too much journalism and bias disguised as "objectivity".
Eurogamer as a whole became shit approx at PS360 time, stopped reading it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Honestly for the vast majority of us nothing is wrong with Digital Foundry.

Due to the nature of every video though it triggers every fan boy one way or the other and frustratingly DF care too much and try to appease people. Unfortunately console-pc warriors/less mature audience say the most while the rest of us just get on with it and enjoy the content.

To some extent DF are targeted more as they have grown, a down side of their success to be fair. I personally can't imagine been invested in one side so much I would have an axe to grind. There's alot more serious things in life to worry about tbh.

Same ol G

Ok, confession time: which of you guys is Tominator on Twitter?

hymn0DJ.png

483XrN7.png

xIuH6YD.png

WwztrAA.png
This just seems bat shit crazy i always wonder what has to go wrong in your youth to act like this

Reallink

I actually enjoy their content quite a bit and like all the guys, but the reality of their business is they have to play nice if they want continued access to the well. Their content lives and dies by early review/preview samples, invites to events (like the Series X's design reveal), and occasional Ad-nalysis' (which are disclosed, to be fair). I don't think they're "paid shills" for any side, but I do believe they tow the line to stay in good graces (for obvious reasons). Coming down especially hard on Halo (which would be honest and warranted in this case) could very well mean they don't get early Series X hardware or software, while playing softball could make them one of the first.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This just seems bat shit crazy i always wonder what has to go wrong in your youth to act like this

It's the attention. As much I hate Jason, he probably has the right idea - though he uses block too liberally, even with people who just politely disagree. All they are looking for is a reply, so they get more and more pathetic in their attempts to provoke one. And as soon as you snap, they get their moment in the spotlight, so double down. Twitter was neevr meant to be a place to have conversation, it was meant as a one-to-many personal publishing platform where you could follow people and just get a glimpse into what their 'status' was. Like out of interest see that a celeb has gone on holiday, or a sports star had bought a new car.

Then it became a platform for vanity where people chased likes and started to read all the comments and sycophantic fan adulation. Then you got trolls who would comment on those comments, then take pot shots at the person who posted the tweet (e.g. opposing fans), then they were left to try and drown those out with more likes and so it became a platform for preaching basic 'profound' statements that would garner those likes (things like 'racisst are bad woo!', 'sexism is bad'). Then anyone who trolled/disagreed could easily be dismissed as being in one of those groups.

Bankai

Nothing wrong with them. They're great. Fanboys get mad when they don't pick their favorite piece of plastic as the better piece of plastic.

Exactly this. I wish the whole crew would/could act more like Richard; just get out of the conversation, get out of Twitter and focus on the work. Don't let all the negativity effect you so much, you have a choice there.
D dark10x

Same ol G

It's the attention. As much I hate Jason, he probably has the right idea - though he uses block too liberally, even with people who just politely disagree. All they are looking for is a reply, so they get more and more pathetic in their attempts to provoke one. And as soon as you snap, they get their moment in the spotlight, so double down. Twitter was neevr meant to be a place to have conversation, it was meant as a one-to-many personal publishing platform where you could follow people and just get a glimpse into what their 'status' was. Like out of interest see that a celeb has gone on holiday, or a sports star had bought a new car.

Then it became a platform for vanity where people chased likes and started to read all the comments and sycophantic fan adulation. Then you got trolls who would comment on those comments, then take pot shots at the person who posted the tweet (e.g. opposing fans), then they were left to try and drown those out with more likes and so it became a platform for preaching basic 'profound' statements that would garner those likes (things like 'racisst are bad woo!', 'sexism is bad'). Then anyone who trolled/disagreed could easily be dismissed as being in one of those groups.
Really Facebook/Twitter was a mistake, i'm glad we have freedom of speech but these sites give a platform to the worst kind of people.

Ar¢tos

I can't remember which game it was, but they did a "tech analysis" that was 80% subjective review and 20% tech analysis (and Eurogamer also did a review for the game).

If they want to keep their reputation as a tech site, they should always be as objective as possible.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Exactly this. I wish the whole crew would/could act more like Richard; just get out of the conversation, get out of Twitter and focus on the work. Don't let all the negativity effect you so much, you have a choice there.
D dark10x

Underrated. Richard's an older guy, as well as being a journalist forever, and probably understands that you just can't argue with a certain level of fervor or irrationality, beyond letting the work speak for itself.

When you put your heart and soul into something, and someone just accuses you of being a corporate shill, that has to hurt, but... that's also humanity.

Richard seriously needs to pass along that wisdom to his two sons.

Allandor

The internet is full of crybabies, which is one of the biggest problems of the internet.

Don't have problems with DF. Yes from time to time they may have some points that don't seem to be valid from your perspective but what they are doing is not rocket science where everything must be 100% correct.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I actually enjoy their content quite a bit and like all the guys, but the reality of their business is they have to play nice if they want continued access to the well. Their content lives and dies by early review/preview samples, invites to events (like the Series X's design reveal), and occasional Ad-nalysis' (which are disclosed, to be fair). I don't think they're "paid shills" for any side, but I do believe they tow the line to stay in good graces (for obvious reasons). Coming down especially hard on Halo (which would be honest and warranted in this case) could very well mean they don't get early Series X hardware or software, while playing softball could make them one of the first.

ah another adult has entered the room...

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I like their analysis. I get that Sony fanboys don't since they'll have a hard time the next 7 years with a 10TF GPU.

Hunnybun

I don't think they're biased but I still found Alex's analysis of Halo Infinite laughably soft.

The graphics have way more wrong with them than just the lighting.

Didn't acknowledge that lots of other big open world games with dynamic TOD manage just fine under the same constraints.

Implying that only ray tracing can fix the issue.

So yeah, not biased in general but that wasn't a good video. I guess it doesn't help that I don't really like Alex himself, he's a bit stuck up. Much prefer Rich and John.

Redlight

He basically said that there was a ray tracing patch coming.... so it was implied.
He said very clearly, in the direct quote I supplied, that significant changes/improvements were unlikely. Your takeaway is still that he 'implied it'?

That's the problem. You're convinced of the bias so you find it, essentially create it, from nothing.

It's a clear example of how bias is often in the reading. You got the impression that he implied an easy fix and ran with that as part of the 'DF is biased' narrative. However, why run with your impression when there a very explicit published example to refutes your claim?

I like their analysis. I get that Sony fanboys don't since they'll have a hard time the next 7 years with a 10TF GPU.
Base console of 4tf and cross gen games, hug that halo effect really hard.

On Topic of DF, I was pretty hard on John on the Gears5 travesty, since then he has stepped up back to his old level. He produces the best DF analysis when he is not reading from MSFT PR script.

If they're doing a head-to-head and the facts support what they say there's no reason to be upset. But some of us are pointing out how they're more critical of an exclusive Sony game than they are a Microsoft game. You can say that people are being silly about them not being severe enough with Halo Infinite but other Youtubers like NX Gamer, King Thrash and a bunch more had more in depth analysis of it than they did which is a problem when they're the top tier guys. Was there anything in NX Gamer's critique of Halo Infinite's visuals that was FACTUALLY wrong? And if not why did he have to point it out, why aren't the best in the business doing so?
Because they almost never do full tech breakdowns this far before release. They picked 1 thing to talk about.

Kerotan

Part of MS strategy this gen was to money hat influences. They were hurt last gen when influencers sided with PS4. Sony you see the likes of Austin Evans and DF leaning towards xbox. Its just business but ultimately they're backing the losing side so will come out the other side looking badly.

Well.... I am just saying that they change their words according to the console.... At least in the couple of videos that I watched from them last gen and in this one... I am not a big fan nor do I have the knowledge about those technical things, so can't make a fair comparison and, honestly, I don't care to do so, but... Well, the choice of their words always appeared, to me, really biased.

Which again, it is not an issue, they are free to do whatever they want, including making promo videos for Xbox:

If don't sent them a ps5 to build in pretty sure they would have made a video about it.

skneogaf

The thing is with halo infinite and digital foundry is that the game isn't out yet so the deep dive into the graphics won't be done to a unfinished game and rightly so.

Digital foundry have more than enough time when it comes out to compare it yo previous halo games and critique it's graphics etc.

Zato

Banned
The Halo Infinite video was a joke, I like Alex and for the most part I really like a majority of the output from Digital Foundry.

But the fact of the matter is in that Halo video Alex simply tried to use the times of day and its impact on the lighting system as the biggest reason for it looking flat ......... not the fact that the game has some really low geometry in some areas (some character models and terrain) and the textures where really poor in a lot of areas.

That video is either way off the mark because it focused on that one aspect (lighting) at the expense of talking about the other glaring issues or it was deliberate.

DF are known to have a close relationship with MS, especially Richard Leadbetter .... this video was the first one that really made me question their ethics.

As for Xbox have better graphics spec and Sony fans being bitter ........ I play whatever console has the better exclusive games, I have my PC for everything else.

azz0r

Banned
Don't like it, don't watch it.

Why do internet prima donnas feel the need to call everything shit because they don't agree? Create your own GFX review series if you feel you can do better.

Shmunter

The Halo Infinite video was a joke, I like Alex and for the most part I really like a majority of the output from Digital Foundry.

But the fact of the matter is in that Halo video Alex simply tried to use the times of day and its impact on the lighting system as the biggest reason for it looking flat ......... not the fact that the game has some really low geometry in some areas (some character models and terrain) and the textures where really poor in a lot of areas.

That video is either way off the mark because it focused on that one aspect (lighting) at the expense of talking about the other glaring issues or it was deliberate.

DF are known to have a close relationship with MS, especially Richard Leadbetter .... this video was the first one that really made me question their ethics.

As for Xbox have better graphics spec and Sony fans being bitter ........ I play whatever console has the better exclusive games, I have my PC for everything else.
The lighting argument Itself held no water. There were areas clearly bathed in sunlight, not the perpetual shadows as argued. Indeed the sun was low to the horizon which is usually the optimal condition to create deep contrasts with long shadows.

Not sure what’s up with that video, it’s off and should be questioned why someone is pissing down wind and telling us it’s raining.

Last edited:

Porcile

I feel like they used to just pixel count and count frames, call it an in-depth "analysis" and GAF would bukkake all over it (depending if those pixels and frame drops fitted your agenda or not). They do a lot better these days. DF Retro is particularly enjoyable.

Danttte

Banned
Zoom in 800% on a game from the PS show to show flaws writes off Halo Infinite looking like shit because of the time of day in the game.
Nobody pointed that Halo Infinite had dynamic lighting before DF as well as the implications of it. I think they provided some expert neutral insight devoid of console banner waving. That hurt a lot of meme peddlers who wanted to see them bury the game before anybody knows what it's even attempting to do.

INC

Nobody pointed that Halo Infinite had dynamic lighting before DF as well as the implications of it. I think they provided some expert neutral insight devoid of console banner waving. That hurt a lot of meme peddlers who wanted to see them bury the game before anybody knows what it's even attempting to do.

Well they weren't attempting to show how the most powerful console can do a halo game, thats for sure...........oh wait it wasnt meant to show off the most powerful console, it was demoing how the previous xbox will look, playing a next gen game lol

Zato

Banned

What has dynamic lighting got to do with low geometry models and levels? Serious pop-in issues and harsh LOD? Or extremely poor textures?

They said dynamic lighting was the issue, might be part but ignoring the rest was just plain bullshit.

They comment on pre-release games / footage all the time ........ why would this be an exception?

Shmunter

DF stating dynamic lighting can produce a flat effect is correct. But them correlating it to Halo showing is wrong. Watch the footage again, there are extended sections that are in clear sunlight and still look poor, not in shadows as DF claims. The analysis is unfortunately invalid, and blatantly so.

The reasons for which, others can speculate on.

Last edited:

Rikkori

There's plenty they get wrong unfortunately & more and more a lot of it feels like sponsored content.

For me the tipping points were their RTX coverage from the start & all the excuses they made which ofc results in Nvidia paying for some video, and then they fuck up CPU testing and mis-attribute blame and even after they get corrected they still use the same data. And on & on it goes.

Hezekiah

Banned
I like them and enjoyed their analysis of the recent PS5 and XSX events. But their recent Nvidia-sponsored 'Future-proofing your PC' video didnt ring true. They touched on the gen cards coming, but now is a terrible time to be buying a GPU.

Aion002

I have and you failed to point out the bias. Sorry, but I cannot take your claim about them getting invited by Microsoft seriously. If you think that proves bias then every site and every YouTube outlet is biased too.
I am gonna answer you one last time, because I dislike ignoring people:

Their choices of words, during their analysis videos, in my point of view, appears to be biased in favor of Xbox.

That's a feeling, a sentiment, my subjective opinion.

And if I am right, there's nothing wrong with them, if I am wrong, well, whatever, that won't stop them from keep doing what they are doing.

I just said that a couple of times.

Have a nice day.

Top Bottom