• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with Digital Foundry?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
First.. thank you for making this it’s own thread. I truly appreciate that!

here’s what I put in the other thread:
DF are great at their analysis. I like DF. They need to be consistent and do deep dive analysis every time on every game regardless of console to prevent the perception of bias.

Leonidas

They show that one console is more powerful than another, triggering fanboys.
They show that one GPU manufacturer produces faster gaming GPUs than another, triggering fanboys.
They show that one CPU manufacturer produces faster gaming CPUs than another, triggering fanboys.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I can't keep up anymore, one minute they're pro MS, the next they're Sony shills, according to GAF.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

samwizered

People wanted them to shit on Halo Infinite like there was no tomorrow. They didn't, but offered constructive criticisms like they always had.
They point out that one console is more powerful than another, triggering fanboys.
They point out that one GPU manufacturer produces more powerful gaming GPUs than another, triggering fanboys.
They point out that one CPU manufacturer produces more powerful gaming CPUs than another, triggering fanboys.

Pretty much, it's mostly just nerd rage. Personally, I find their content enjoyable and informative.

Kazza

I'm hearing a lot of comments from gamers on this forum about DF that is in a negative context. I am curious why so many people speak negatively about them.

Let's hear it.

It seems to have started ever since the console specs reveal. Once the Sony fanboys realised the Xbox had the power advantage and they weren't going to get the 13TF beast they were all hyped for, then the attacks on DF started. It all looks to be pre-emptive, so that when the comparison videos begin later this year showing a Series X advantage they can just say "DF is biased" rather than face up to facts.

I suppose there exists an alternative universe somewhere where Sony went for power and it's the Xbox fanboys who are accusing DF of bias.

Cock of War

I personally like their retrospectives and even find their comparison videos informative.

It just seems their content regarding the upcoming gen, due to the nature of the beast currently, is a lot of rock soup.

Freeman

Banned
It seems to have started ever since the console specs reveal. Once the Sony fanboys realised the Xbox had the power advantage and they weren't going to get the 13TF beast they were all hyped for, then the attacks on DF started. It all looks to be pre-emptive, so that when the comparison videos begin later this year showing a Series X advantage they can just say "DF is biased" rather than face up to facts.

I suppose there exists an alternative universe somewhere where Sony went for power and it's the Xbox fanboys who are accusing DF of bias.
Or you know, it happened since they started getting invited to MS to have exclusive access to unreleased hardware... the Alex guy isn't even trying to hide at this point, straight shilling.

Last edited:

Reindeer

I'm hearing a lot of comments from gamers on this forum about DF that is in a negative context. I am curious why so many people speak negatively about them.

Let's hear it.
Well apparently Sony boys on GAF think they're Microsoft fanboys and are prone to nitpick Sony games even though they almost always pick Sony games as best looking games of the year and praise them immensely when they analyse them... Just shows you, you can never please fanboys.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is flagrantly wrong, we had a big DF thread on here long before that because of their bias. I can find 9 year old threads through google searches on other forums of people claiming this.

GreyHand23

I think DF does good analysis for the most part, but Alex in particular veers too far into fanboy mode at times and this colors the way he analyzes things. It's subtle, but for the type of gamer that comments on gaming forums, we are more likely to watch every video and read every article and you start to notice a trend with word usage and techniques in analysis. Alex is a smart guy, so when he says something it's deliberate. The most recent example was when he tried to directly compare ray tracing in Forza vs GT7. An unbiased and objective way to present this would have been to note that the ray tracing appeared to be higher resolution in Forza, but that it was running at 30 fps vs 60 fps in GT7, so he would need to wait for further footage to do a real comparison. Instead he decided to just flat out say that Forza was better, even though he was adamant about offering up the 60 fps argument for a reduction in visual fidelity when it came to Halo Infinite.

Another example from this year was how he wrote an entire article about the UE5 demo and the tech used to make it a reality and somehow didn't mention an SSD or IO capabilities in any way. In fact he goes out of his way to downplay it as much as possible, which is off because in his Star Citizen video he clearly showed the benefits of an SSD.

People just don't like hearing things that don't align with their bias.

I laughed so hard when a user here went around telling people that they didn't like DLSS because it's fake and looks bad when a DF video proved the exact opposite.

#DLSSFAKING #NEVERFORGET

That sword cuts both ways, if everyone defending them is more pro-Microsoft then they just like them aligning with their bias.

Freeman

Banned
Well apparently Sony boys on GAF think they're Microsoft fanboys and are prone to nitpick Sony games even though they almost always pick Sony games as best looking games of the year and praise them immensely when they analyse them... Just shows you, you can never please fanboys.
Lmao, that's because it's true, they have to admit that or risk complete discredit.

They threat MS with kids glove, like most journalist really. They confuse being fair/balanced with pushing an artificial narrative that everything between Xbox and PlayStation is balanced. There is no balance, Xbox is being whooped, MS had the most powerful console for 2 years and did nothing with it.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

People just don't like hearing things that don't align with their bias.

I laughed so hard when a user here went around telling people that they didn't like DLSS because it's fake and looks bad when a DF video proved the exact opposite.

#DLSSFAKING #NEVERFORGET

This is the problem. There are alot of Sony fans and Xbox fans and on both sides there are extremes. Some Sony fans absolutely will just shit on DF every chance they get without being able to articulate what it is exactly that they have an issue with. DLSS is great, and I found that analysis to be good as well. Just because some people go nuts doesn't mean that there aren't valid viewpoints and discussion to be had.

Reindeer

Hated for telling 360 games had better resolution and frame rate over PS3.

Loved for telling PS4 1080p games looked better than Xbox One.

Hated for telling gamers SeX is more powerful than PS5.
Also hated for saying multiplats look better on Xbox One X over PS4 Pro (except in few cases) by zooming in and pinpointing differences. It's gonna be fireworks here on GAF when next gen analysis begins.

Last edited by a moderator:

CitizenX

Banned
They mean nothing no idea why they exsist other than to collect checks from the highest bidder. Heres a jagged line see?(zoomed in 100X)

Simple question, has anyone bought or not bought anything because of their results?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I like them. Their videos are well produced, they have some interesting insights, and break things down well enough for the layman.
Doesn't mean they're perfect, I don't known what people want from them tbh. Especially when there aren't really that many Youtube channels or sites doing this for free.

lFokCE7.gif

Romulus

They were more relevant during last generation. We all needed to see how shitty the ps3 ports were going to be.

Reindeer

Lmao, that's because it's true, they have to admit that or risk complete discredit.

They threat MS with kids glove, like most journalist really. They confuse being fair/balanced with pushing an artificial narrative that everything between Xbox and PlayStation is balanced. There is no balance, Xbox is being whooped, MS had the most powerful console for 2 years and did nothing with it.
There's always at least one or two other good looking games they could pick, but they usually settle for Sony titles. Some fanboys those guys are..

Also watch their analysis for major Sony titles and see how they usually call them masterpieces and overlook some of the technical flaws they have because of the overall quality. Man, these guys are really out there to get Sony..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"DF analysis shows the 360 game runs at 720p and 30 fps, while PS3 is 680p at 29 fps"
"There goes DF again nitpicking about things gamers won't notice. Linneman and Leadbetter on the MS payroll again!"

"DF analysis shows the PS4 game runs at 1080p and 30 fps, while Xbox One is 900p at 29 fps"
"Finally. DF isn't getting paid off. Good to see Linneman and Leadbetter being unbiased!"

"DF would like to show you a hands on Xbox Series X teardown. We got a prototype. It's also 12TF"
"Even though Sony hasn't shown the system to anyone lately, goes to show DF is biased again doing a Series X teardown when PS5 isn't ready to show yet!"

Last edited:

Redlight

This is flagrantly wrong, we had a big DF thread on here long before that because of their bias. I can find 9 year old threads through google searches on other forums of people claiming this.
I think you'll find that was during the period where the 360 games often looked better.

Whenever DF reports, factually, that an Xbox version of a game looks better than a Playstation version the hard-core Sony fans take it as a personal slight and boy, those guys know how to hold a grudge.

When DF reports, factually, that the Halo Infinite reveal was graphically underwhelming (and went into the reasons why in some detail) the hard-core Sony fans were still upset because the criticism wasn't severe enough. For those guys the only acceptable article would be a picture of Craig with 'lol' as the headline and nothing else.

The 'bias' is in the mind of overzealous and oversensitive fans.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
There's always at least one or two other good looking games they could pick, but they usually settle for Sony titles. Some fanboys those guys are..

Also watch their analysis for major Sony titles and see how they usually call them masterpieces and overlook some of the technical flaws they have because of the overall quality. Man, these guys are really out there to get Sony..
Again, they had no option but to recognize that. The problem is how they try to artificially raise MS games by pretending they are not seeing the obvious problems. Imagine what Sony would've done if they had the 6TF console.

They brought it on themselves, they should've been wiser when getting to close to MS, now that will cast a shadow on everything they do.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
DF was the best of the best when the Playstation hardware was more powerful that Xbox and their reviews were favorable to Sony hardware. When the thing turned in favor of Xbox, since One X, they became biased and evil people.
Its a matter of percentages. This site has orders of magnitude more trolls of Sony than Microsoft, thus is resounds more heavily.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Let's hear it.

They don't fawn over PlayStation the way Sony fans expect and demand, therefore they are obviously shills in league with the evil Xbox empire conspiring against Mother Sony.

Top Bottom